Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Dark Off posted:

I find it crazy that this manga started at same time as i was born.

Yeah, it pains me to think that the manga first published around the year I was born managed to achieve way more in its life than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

Wow I can't believe the boat times are over. Surely they will get on a boat again, right?

They are on an island so...

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PiedPiper posted:

Yeah, it pains me to think that the manga first published around the year I was born managed to achieve way more in its life than me.

Are you still on the boat?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

trucutru posted:

They are on an island so...

On a geological timescale islands are the same as boats ergo they have never left the boat

suck it Miuralures

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

genericnick posted:

Are you still on the boat?

Nah, I'm trying to get my old buddy from the prison. Life's pretty great. Will write more when we get back.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Welp, time to reread Berserk from the beginning. :shepface:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dark Off posted:

:aaaaa: They are off the boat :aaaaa:
it only took 7 years. I find it crazy that this manga started at same time as i was born. And its still unfinished

Play this song 14 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH83TT4WobA

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

sorry this is already playing in background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVX0dguW2mk
while im re-reading berserk.
If you guys want more awesome background music for berserk google susumu hirasawa berserk.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just search Susumu Hirasawa since he's made hundreds of albums of very amazing music under a variety of names and bands!

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 27, 2015

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Just search Susumu Hirasawa since he's made hundreds of albums of very amazing music under a variety of names and bands!
Thats true, but the berserk soundtrack just nails the atmosphere of berserk. I cant imagine scenes without one of suzumu's song playing in background.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It wasn't until I sat down to translate this chapter that I realized how much I've missed Guts & Co.

Rickert's cool and all, but man. Welcome off the boat, guys.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Did they give up making the Berserk movies? I remember a third coming out but then everything seemed to have gone dark.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

YouTuber posted:

Did they give up making the Berserk movies? I remember a third coming out but then everything seemed to have gone dark.
Nah, it's just that the only thing that'll ever be adapted is the Golden Age arc. Reliving that tragedy over and over again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I feel like the Tower of Conviction and the Kushan Invasion would be incredible to see animated.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bad Seafood posted:

I feel like the Tower of Conviction and the Kushan Invasion would be incredible to see animated.

The Faeries arc.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bad Seafood posted:

Tower of Conviction is in the running for best manga arc ever.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
How long was Berserk on the boat? before I was born i think

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Wait wasn't' that supposed to be the point of those movies....

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Stairmaster posted:

Wait wasn't' that supposed to be the point of those movies....

A lot of people assumed that but apparently they either never had plans to go beyond the Golden Age, or the movies didn't do well enough to justify it.

The thing is that the Golden Age arc is very self-contained and the most well-known part of Berserk because of the anime. The fact that it ends incredibly bleak notwithstanding, if they start doing more, they have to keep going and there isn't really another good stopping point.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh right they just took the easy way out and did golden age again...

e;fb

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

We made it... we finally made it

(on point song choice too)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

YouTuber posted:

They weren't very good, the CG was especially awful and it wasn't until the third one that it started to pick up and not look really, really bad. I don't think they did all that well.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is the Golden Age supposed to be based on Hundred Years' War era Europe? It seems like it, given the heavy use of mercenaries and constant background of warring going on as well as the political intrigue by the nobility.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah probably. Miura takes a lot of inspiration from European history, as well as fantasy literature which itself takes a lot from European history.

Also I can't believe we're finally off the boat. I'm gonna be listening to this on repeat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYYYew8CUI

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I knew that good things would happen if I stopped paying attention to Berserk.

Now to wait until even more cool stuff has accumulated before starting to read up on it again.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The main factions of the Midland and Durer kingdoms seem to be stand ins for the English and French kingdoms broken down into confederacies of dukedoms and fiefs as well.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

I really wanted to like claymore but the art isn't that hot and I disliked the power level stuff. Sucks because there's so little like berserk

Posted a bit earlier, but Claymore is a good study in evolving art styles

First Chapter of Claymore's predecessor, Angel Densetsu(Legend of the Angel)
e:Better image of perspective

First Chapter(Equivalent to the end of AD):

Final Chapter:
e: Perspective comparison:

Anyway, on topic, THEY'RE OFF THE BOAT!!! AHHHHHHHH
It's even more exciting than when the mom got out of the car in TenjoTenge
e: It should also be noted that 'power levels' isn't the end all be all. A lot is won by proper planning, and the ranks are somewhat exaggerated

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 29, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
My understanding about the Berserk movies is that cgi/anime movies bring in dogshit profits in Japan and aren't worth making long-term franchises. Apparently studio ghibli said something of the sort as well about their animated movies.

Hell, IIRC, anime in general barely breaks even most of the time in Japan.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Red Mundus posted:

My understanding about the Berserk movies is that cgi/anime movies bring in dogshit profits in Japan and aren't worth making long-term franchises. Apparently studio ghibli said something of the sort as well about their animated movies.

Hell, IIRC, anime in general barely breaks even most of the time in Japan.

Pretty much every traditional cartoon ever made by anyone not named Walt Disney has made money on merchandising or not at all. Hence the insanely cost-cutting way in which anime are made and all the low wages/outsourcing/ugly rear end CG. You can do it like that, or else sell Evangelion dinner sets for 10000 yen basically.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Spoilers for next chapter are out!!

He gets back on the boat.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

They weren't very good, the CG was especially awful and it wasn't until the third one that it started to pick up and not look really, really bad. I don't think they did all that well.

They alternated between really good and really poo poo at other parts. The Zodd fight looked horrible because of the CGI Zodd. The Eclipse sequence was really really well done.

Honestly the Movies just made me remember how awesome Casca was. Her move against Adon at Doldrey was very well animated and the fight against Silat also was very smooth. I liked the tv show a lot but it totally shafts Casca, outside of her jobbing against Guts she hardly showcases her fighting abilities. The movies make sure you remember that even if she isn't on Griffith and Guts level she is still a very very formidable fighter.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Are they off the boat in English yet? What gives?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the movies.

Sure, they cut so much of the story out that some scenes lose most of their meaning because the context is gone, but otherwise they're gorgeous movies with great pacing that highlight some of the best moments in Berserk through the lens of a film, rather than being a direct translation from print to screen of the manga like the old anime tried to be. (and failed cause it was bad)

Really disappointed they haven't made more. Even just the Black Swordsmen arc would have been fine, a one-off movie to actually show what the rest of the series is like.

Pewdiepie posted:

Go scream at video games or something for a bit, translations are on the way.

If you've waited eight drat years for them to get off the loving boat, you can wait eight loving days to read it in English.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 29, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

He is off the boat!

But the first thing it happens it's something as uninteresting as monsters appearing and Guts cutting them down in a single blow.

What was the point of getting off the boat? If he is going to do the same as the last 10 volumes...

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I, for one, am always disappointed when a new chapter of Berserk brings me more Berserk.

like wtf

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Uh, can you not talk about what happens in the chapter outside of spoilers? Like I know it's been a whole week and the whole boat thing was just too much to hide but come on.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pewdiepie posted:

It might be quicker if you just learn Korean.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Here's a fan translation of the newest chapter in english http://imgur.com/a/rlDoE

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VnLY_iQxGU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Berserk FTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the most shocking part is that there isn't a hiatus