Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What gun are you going to use in this Call of Duty?
The good one that everyone else uses
Another, different gun
View Results

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Qmass posted:

Its mostly fun, which is all that you should really require. It has most of the COD engine quirks, the negative ones are mostly as minimized* as they can be. The gun balance feels really good at times and really bad at times. This is probably a good sign...

* Minimized to Canada. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
So I'm hearing 2x weapon XP is also giving 2x cryptokeys. I'm getting 2 keys per full match so it might be true? Didn't pay enough attention to the usual rate to tell.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

So I'm hearing 2x weapon XP is also giving 2x cryptokeys. I'm getting 2 keys per full match so it might be true? Didn't pay enough attention to the usual rate to tell.

Just from what I have seen I can believe this. I have got 3.5 keys out of a single ground war playlist match over the last day.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Malloc Voidstar posted:

You get extra progress towards keys from winning and staying in the same playlist. Last weekend I was often getting two or three keys per match. That being said, Treyarch could have increased how often you get keys since then.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 27, 2015

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This is my opinion based on PC TDM/KC if you think I'm wrong, that's cool. DOM is utterly hosed now so I haven't been playing it. I skipped ghosts and AW so if this is all a recurring theme from those games I wouldn't know. Some might remember the annotated "post-mortem" things I did for MW3/Blops2. (annotations that can pause/play video got all hosed up so they are not real watchable anymore)

I feel like the maps in this are some of the worst to date, not that Im really into that kind of thing anymore but I can't really even see room for the kind of map strategy breakdown I could do for black ops 2. I don't really dislike any maps but I don't like any of them either. Adherence to three lanes is boring, I rarely feel like there is much opportunity to get creative; it feels like a constant pick one of three lovely routes to push down until the enemy spawn flips then spin around and repeat if you are using AR/sniper or else stay the gently caress in the little close range loop that some longer maps have if you are using SMGs/shotguns (or wait for exodus/combine).

Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like more than ever, guns REALLY shine at a specific range and are really weak outside which is why they can be so deadly one second and then so, so not. This is interesting but it makes discipline in where you go on maps crucial, which means you aren't as free to try and flank around which is made worse by the very limited opportunities to switch lanes. It makes certain maps suited to certain guns more than ever before. On each map I always feel like playing with one playstyle that I find most suited to the distances in the 'best' parts of the map. So overall it feels like the game really dictates how I play - which I don't like. In MW3 and black ops 2 I felt like most maps had a much better mix to allow more playstyles a space on the map to shine.

I also think that at this point, the average player has watched so much youtube that they have finally begun to catch on to how you should play cod (ie. outpace the spawn moves so you don't get shot in the back all the time). This means more players that rush rather than camp which means constantly moving spawns. This combined with traversal speed, how small the maps generally are and the way the game spawns players on living ones makes it way harder to logically predict and keep away or get behind the new spawn. My bread and butter in COD has been closely tracking the enemy spawn via the least busy lane, knowing where you are most likely to see people and pre-emptively ADS'ing as I round corners while frequently winding my way behind a wave and taking down a couple guys at a time in the back. Now I spend more time doing 360s stuck in a lane trying to figure out wtf is going on and never seeing people. I NEVER run up behind groups of enemies any more. This game is face to face duels virtually every time for me. I have 3 options, they have three options of course we run into each other.

I think Fringe comes closest to working. The map has three rough lanes but the side lanes both split with offshoots that go down the lane rather than just joining lanes sideways and there is frequently fighting in the areas above and below the lanes unlike virtually every other map. Fighting more naturally seems to spread out around some of the spaces and then rotates around the map. At least on PC its like there are always skirmishes going on around the map instead of just being each spawn facing off either end of a lane.

Havok kind of works like this but its not as balanced and has two REALLY dead wastes of space at either end of the map.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 27, 2015

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
HEY LEZ PLAY

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I think the servers are down.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Daily Forecast posted:

See the thing that pisses me the gently caress off about this game is that since I'm just starting and apparently literally everyone else has been playing nonstop since release and are level five million, they have all the much better guns that kill me instantly if it gently grazes me, yet I'm stuck with this stupid Kuda that takes like ten headshots to kill everyone.

It's really not fair and doesn't really let anybody 'git gud' when the deck feels so stacked.

I feel like I wasted $40.

What's your connection? I live in PR and mines pretty trash and my ping tends to bounce around sometimes

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AchyHippo/video/12928004

Stuff like this is fairly common for me, in a similar manner since I tend to get melted a lot by a lot of the guns(that means you just drop dead, you don't see yourself taking damage or the see blood splatter, you just die), that's lag comp in action.

And don't listen to Macy's dude is utter trash, there are legit better guns in this game than the starting ones with the exception of the XR-2, that's a 3 burst that kills if you land the full burst, I'd advise trying that gun since I've the most success with it, granted I'm going off the assumption that your connection is as bad as mine so you generally want powerful strong gun to hopefully get the kill first, I tended to get hitmarker city with pretty much all the SMGs till I swapped to the XR and finally started doing well.

Beyond that you just need to try to learn the maps, Treayarch loves a 3 lane approach to everything so there's no real area that's entirely safe so matter where you are someone can get to you, you could try to go into bot matches and just explore the map to sort of get an idea, once you're in game and at least know the lay of the land you can get a feel for where the most of the action tends to be.

Outside of that, well it makes sense that anyone that got the game at launch is going to know what to do, they've obviously played the game a longer and there's just flat out really amazing players out there you won't be able to do poo poo to, which can be further compounded by a bad connection.

I'd also advise maybe looking for advice off site as well, these CoD threads have been one gigantic cock gurgling circlejerk with the same idiots since roughly 09 from people who think their gods gift to CoD so you probably won't find much advice here as you can already attest.

Don't blame if you stop playing though, I felt the same way for awhile and almost did till a friend of mine took me around the maps and taught me a bunch of stuff.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I believe so as well. You can tell because the normally very smooth experience you[i,YMMV] get is completely shafted when you start joining games that basically completely empty and with terrible connections.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
This is one of the better balanced CoDs. Every AR/SMG, outside of the Weevil/ICR, is viable. It's more of a question of what archetype of gun you like using. Do you like bullet hose SMGs? Use the Vesper. High damage DMR? Use the Shieva. The VMP, the second SMG unlock, is what every Twitch pubstomper is using. The claim that "there are legit better guns in this game than the starting ones" is simply untrue.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Don't pay attention to the lag meter in this game. The ping it reports is total bullshit. I've been playing matches with mostly West coast hosts, and I'm getting reports of sub 10 ms pings when I live outside Atlanta. I've never in my life pinged that low to servers in California and my connection isn't that great. I've also never seen it report anything other than 0 packet loss all the while skipping frames and dropping FPS when we get lovely hosts.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Alteisen posted:

What's your connection? I live in PR and mines pretty trash and my ping tends to bounce around sometimes

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AchyHippo/video/12928004

Stuff like this is fairly common for me, in a similar manner since I tend to get melted a lot by a lot of the guns(that means you just drop dead, you don't see yourself taking damage or the see blood splatter, you just die), that's lag comp in action.

And don't listen to Macy's dude is utter trash, there are legit better guns in this game than the starting ones with the exception of the XR-2, that's a 3 burst that kills if you land the full burst, I'd advise trying that gun since I've the most success with it, granted I'm going off the assumption that your connection is as bad as mine so you generally want powerful strong gun to hopefully get the kill first, I tended to get hitmarker city with pretty much all the SMGs till I swapped to the XR and finally started doing well.

Beyond that you just need to try to learn the maps, Treayarch loves a 3 lane approach to everything so there's no real area that's entirely safe so matter where you are someone can get to you, you could try to go into bot matches and just explore the map to sort of get an idea, once you're in game and at least know the lay of the land you can get a feel for where the most of the action tends to be.

Outside of that, well it makes sense that anyone that got the game at launch is going to know what to do, they've obviously played the game a longer and there's just flat out really amazing players out there you won't be able to do poo poo to, which can be further compounded by a bad connection.

I'd also advise maybe looking for advice off site as well, these CoD threads have been one gigantic cock gurgling circlejerk with the same idiots since roughly 09 from people who think their gods gift to CoD so you probably won't find much advice here as you can already attest.

Don't blame if you stop playing though, I felt the same way for awhile and almost did till a friend of mine took me around the maps and taught me a bunch of stuff.

The Kuda is fine. The variance in people's pings is larger than the difference between the lowest TTK, and the highest.

And we've been circlejerking since 2007.

tjones
May 13, 2005
The best advice anyone can give for CoD is, no matter what game mode you are playing, always smoke B. Smoke B everyday.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Alteisen posted:

l, these CoD threads have been one gigantic cock gurgling circlejerk with the same idiots since roughly 09
I feel this is uncalled for. Completely true, but still.

The lag meter is kinda weird. It'll show I have 4 bars but report 130ms of delay, where 4 is supposed to be 100 and under. I don't use it as gospel, but if things seem off and it's reporting high I'm gonna assume it's the connection being poo poo.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

SubponticatePoster posted:

I feel this is uncalled for. Completely true, but still.

The lag meter is kinda weird. It'll show I have 4 bars but report 130ms of delay, where 4 is supposed to be 100 and under. I don't use it as gospel, but if things seem off and it's reporting high I'm gonna assume it's the connection being poo poo.

Anyone know went the line graph shows up sporadically for connections? It annoyed me when it's not there.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Based on a few things I saw this morning, I would not be surprised if the matchmaking is occasionally putting me in Japanese lobbies (despite living in Texas) because I have it listed in my PSN profile as one of my languages. During the first game that I noticed it, I was the only player with a four bar connection and several players had several names that were very typically Japanese (and I don't mean weeaboo names). In the lobby, all of the profiles I managed to check after editing a class had Japanese as their only language listed in their profile, and for several games afterward, some of the new players that joined also had it as their only language listed, although the lobby also started getting US players before I left. Good poo poo, Treyarch/PSN.

Mill Village posted:

You should see the game he got with the burst-fire sniper rifle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAonUTUVUro

52 Defends

I got 36 defends with...the Haymaker I think(?) on either Breach or Combine either last night or Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

versus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 28, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

versus posted:

What mode do you usually play?

I mostly just go into moshpit, so a mix of KC/Hardpoint/Dom/Safeguard (ugh).

Weirdly enough my KD is a lot lower in BO3 so far versus BO2/AW (I have a 1.55 in this game and a 1.9 in those two), but my SPM is higher (500 versus ~400). I've still not got used to the new weird aiming slowdown when you ads, and that's really thrown me off.

E: It is also amusing that in my 250 hours of AW I didn't get a single super kill, and in my 30 hours of BO3 I already have 3. Game just seems faster paced in general, which is the opposite of how I thought it would be.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

options so far are:

CUT ME A SWITCH
GRANDMAS SLIT
DOCKING WITH DAD

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

possibly BENDOVERROVER

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Maybe PrepareTheBelt

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

GET MY BELT SON posted:

options so far are:

CUT ME A SWITCH
GRANDMAS SLIT
DOCKING WITH DAD

Rerolled your dogs son

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
can't login to psn. very nice I like

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hello I bought a PS4 so I will be hopefully playing some shootymans in a couple of weeks but then I have a vacation down to PR which I'm going to spend on a beach drinking beer 24/7.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hello I bought a PS4 so I will be hopefully playing some shootymans in a couple of weeks but then I have a vacation down to PR which I'm going to spend on a beach drinking beer 24/7.

I'm going to Hawaii on Sunday for a week :shobon:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I'm going to Hawaii on Sunday for a week :shobon:

Hawaii owned and was a great time, enjoy. Go scuba dive with some turtles.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

PSN down for anyone else ?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah the PSN's getting poo poo on because of Black Friday poo poo or something.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

So I went into a Gun Game and everyone in the game was idle doing nothing at all. I got a free Nuclear medal and now I feel like a horrible cheater.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Dear Penthouse, I never thought it would happen to me, but..." :haw:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I rented this on Xbone today. I played Ground War with a full party for 2 hours. Connections seemed to be better then Ground War on PSN for some reason (though that could just be PSN hating my internet). 6v6 games seemed about the same. I probably should have just bought the game on Xbone in the first place.

Not 100% sure if I'm going to buy it. I won't be able to get it for less then :10bux: like my PS4 copy. I'll definitely rent a copy for Christmas noobs, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Superanos posted:

So I went into a Gun Game and everyone in the game was idle doing nothing at all. I got a free Nuclear medal and now I feel like a horrible cheater.

Is Gun Game good for unlocking attachments with weapon XP/completing challenges and poo poo or does it only give player XP and that's it? If it's the former then gently caress the "idle for crypto keys" exploit, I'm way more interested in the double-reverse Shooting Fish In A Barrel exploit

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

Is Gun Game good for unlocking attachments with weapon XP/completing challenges and poo poo or does it only give player XP and that's it? If it's the former then gently caress the "idle for crypto keys" exploit, I'm way more interested in the double-reverse Shooting Fish In A Barrel exploit

You unlock challenges, if you have that gun unlocked with a token. You can grind headshots for one gun by doing a headshot and then killing yourself to go back a level.

Note that PS4 servers just went down for like five minutes, so all the idlers got kicked out and it's mostly normal games with 1 or 2 idle guys. They'll be back the next day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

No double xp going on?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Welp. We just played a match where we called in every streak in the game except CUAV. Some of them multiple times.

victrix fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 28, 2015

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

No double xp going on?

Double Weapon EXP unfortunately.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Plus bonus cryptokeys, maybe?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Superanos posted:

I just heard about this and I'm totes going to exploit it tonight if they start showing up early enough.

On an unrelated note, I got a frenzy kill with the MR6 yesterday while headshot farming in HC and my PS4 cut off its recording when I saved it after the match. :negative: at least I got a neat dark ops calling card.

Edit: oh and I got a epic camo for the Shieva that I really like. I forget what its called but its black with glowing red lines all over it.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 28, 2015

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
If anyone wants to play right now, throw me an invite. PSN is bdb1001

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

I just heard about this and I'm totes going to exploit it tonight if they start showing up early enough.

If you're going for Nuclear, remember to punch them instead of shooting them. There are only 20 gun levels while Nuclear requires 30 kills. Punching them doesn't advance a level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Superanos posted:

If you're going for Nuclear, remember to punch them instead of shooting them. There are only 20 gun levels while Nuclear requires 30 kills. Punching them doesn't advance a level.

Any obscure challenges you think I could probably knock out in the process? I know there's some stupid movement ones I could probably do.

• Locked thread