Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can you guys tell me more about the protests all around the country? Any more photos or important speeches? What is the police response?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

caberham posted:

Can you guys tell me more about the protests all around the country? Any more photos or important speeches? What is the police response?

Protests about what? There's been on-going organized marches and demonstrations about nuclear power since Fukushima. I'm sure those same people are protesting Article 9 stuff since Abe started talking about changing that.

A certain segment of the Japanese population loves orderly marching on <insert political or social topic> so you're going to have to be more specific. Usually there's police blocking traffic for the marchers along the route. It's not really adversarial, but who knows, there may be some big news I've missed in the month I've been back home visiting family.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ErIog posted:

Protests about what? There's been on-going organized marches and demonstrations about nuclear power since Fukushima. I'm sure those same people are protesting Article 9 stuff since Abe started talking about changing that.

A certain segment of the Japanese population loves orderly marching on <insert political or social topic> so you're going to have to be more specific. Usually there's police blocking traffic for the marchers along the route. It's not really adversarial, but who knows, there may be some big news I've missed in the month I've been back home visiting family.

Lol.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/120000-protest-against-security-bills-outside-diet

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mystes posted:

For some reason, even though Hashimoto is totally really getting out of politics like he promised, he's now starting a new political party.

He's totally going to say people demanded he stay and back out of that promise to quit.

Edit:
Posting this on request

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 31, 2015

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

ErIog posted:

Hahaha

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

I always mix up you with kapalama sorry

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

caberham posted:

I always mix up you with kapalama sorry

Oh poo poo, lol, I leave the country for a few weeks and crazy news happens.

Frigate Orpheon
Feb 13, 2012
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/09/17/national/politics-diplomacy/opposition-parties-delaying-tactics-throw-diet-chaos/

Well, after some spirited 'discussion', Abe's security bills finally made it through the Diet.

Does anyone think the passage of this week's legislation will have any tangible impact on voter faith in the ruling bloc?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah maybe they'll vote for the DPJ again without even blaming the first unprecedented natural/nuclear disaster that happens on said party that hadn't seen power for decades!

*cue laugh track*

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah maybe they'll vote for the DPJ again without even blaming the first unprecedented natural/nuclear disaster that happens on said party that hadn't seen power for decades!

*cue laugh track*

There was a story in Reuters about how unpopular Abe is now, but I suppose there's not really anyone else for people to vote for.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Abe may be unpopular but with the largest newspaper behind him and the complete lack of any LDP successors I think he'll be fine.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/26/yakuza-gang-cancels-childrens-halloween-event-for-fear-of-violence

Thought I was reading the Onion for a minute

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Japan targets boosting birthrate to increase growth

quote:

However, others warn the government has fallen so far behind on the population issue that it will be difficult to raise economic growth without opening up to large-scale immigration.

Most countries would turn to immigration, but this has met with resistance from politicians and the public, who prize the country's mostly homogenous society.

"There is a lack of childcare facilities and improving this is important," said Hiroshi Shiraishi, senior economist at BNP Paribas Securities.

"However, this will not boost growth in the next five years. The more direct way is through immigration."
Between no one having babies, no one buying anything, and an increasing number of vacant dwellings; at least there are some people that realize that Japan is so far in the shitter that the only thing that will save them are immigrants.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Kenishi posted:

Japan targets boosting birthrate to increase growth

Between no one having babies, no one buying anything, and an increasing number of vacant dwellings; at least there are some people that realize that Japan is so far in the shitter that the only thing that will save them are immigrants.

Yeah, and it's worth noting that the specific number chosen by Abe for his new plan is a pretty blatant war time dog whistle to boot.

His plans for a higher birth rate are biologically impossible at this point. The one thing about Japan that exacerbates the entire situation is the fact that people just aren't getting married the way they used to. The birth rate among married women is the same as it ever was. The problem is that the marriage rate has fallen substantially, and Japan has zero support or collective understanding for children born to single parents.

Abe is living in a fantasy land, and I'm really not sure what his real objectives are. All of his proclamations on this issue are going to crumble. Between the G* conference at Ise, his new 3 arrows, Womenomics, and his call for a higher birthrate.. he's creating a loving lot of trouble for whoever becomes the next prime minister. He's gonna be termed out in a few years, and these are all long term goals. There's a small chance the next prime minister could be DPJ, but lol, not loving likely.

So he's basically salting the earth with bullshit to please his dead relatives.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ErIog posted:

He's gonna be termed out in a few years, and these are all long term goals.
There are no term limits for the position of prime minister. None for President of the LDP either, afaik.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

There are no term limits for the position of prime minister. None for President of the LDP either, afaik.

Do I just remember wrong or was there a time in the 2000s when Japan replaced their prime minister every year, almost to the day? What happened there?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Ya, a quick google seems to suggest there are no term limits for prime ministers, but I don't think anyone has ever made it past 3 consecutive ones. I think this is technically Abe's 3rd term though, I haven't been keeping count but he was in office back in the early 2000s.

ErIog posted:

His plans for a higher birth rate are biologically impossible at this point. The one thing about Japan that exacerbates the entire situation is the fact that people just aren't getting married the way they used to. The birth rate among married women is the same as it ever was. The problem is that the marriage rate has fallen substantially, and Japan has zero support or collective understanding for children born to single parents.
The issue isn't "societal acceptance of single parents" though, although I'm sure it would help to an extent. The problem is mainly an issue of time and money.

Some people don't have the time to find someone to marry. For women that do have the time to do that, some don't want to get married because it tends to destroy their career. The family tax issue is sometimes mentioned, which forces women to take up only part time work, but there's also the 'matahara' (or what ever the new slang is for it) that tends to drive women out of the workforce. Get all that fixed and then you have money issues to deal with. Kids are expensive. Japan, in rightful 1st-world-country fashion, is getting more and more expensive (Thanks Abe!) for most people and salaries aren't budging all that much. So there is that need for two incomes in households, but see the problems women have, above. Those women that CAN work, then have to deal with trying to find that elusive daycare. I'm not sure they could have created a more 'perfect storm' of issues that cause their population crisis. Some of these things they could have started tackling back in 2000 if they had the foresight to do so.

The best thing that could happen is if Abe, when he decides to retire from politics, gets a bill pushed through that vastly overhauls the immigration system so that pretty much anyone can come to Japan. As an example, they could relax the requirements on most of the working visas so they don't require any experience to get one, just a job offer from a company willing to sponsor you. Relaxing/Overhauling the immigration system will probably be political suicide for any conservative PM so it'll have to be something that occurs when they are peacing out or when there's a shift of power.

ArchangeI posted:

Do I just remember wrong or was there a time in the 2000s when Japan replaced their prime minister every year, almost to the day? What happened there?
People didn't like the PMs that were in place. When the PMs acceptance rating dipped close to/into single digit territory they'd resign "gracefully." I'm not sure exactly why no one liked them, but I think it had a lot to do with the fact that most PMs that followed Koizumi couldn't match his flair. Koizumi was an oddball, populist PM that the people liked a lot. The PMs that followed him had tons of problems and were prone to large number of gaffes. Abe was actually the PM to immediately follow Koizumi back in '06 but he resigned in '07 due to health issues but also because his acceptance rating was tanking. He's done better this time around.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Mr. Fix It posted:

Did something change then? LDP has a term limit of 2 3-year terms for a maximum of six years.

edit:
LDP bylaws still say the President of the LDP is limited to 2, three year terms: https://www.jimin.jp/english/about-ldp/constitution/104216.html

Yeah, this leaves out some sort of, "there's no rule that says a donkey can't play baseball," kind of thing where Abe remains PM while not being LDP president, but let's be real.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 13, 2015

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Taking a look at their party constitution. It merely states that a president has a limit of 2 consecutive terms, which seems to suggest that an LDP president could step down and then let someone else become president and then come back on the next election cycle and run again.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Kenishi posted:

Taking a look at their party constitution. It merely states that a president has a limit of 2 consecutive terms, which seems to suggest that an LDP president could step down and then let someone else become president and then come back on the next election cycle and run again.

So your contention is that you think Abe is going to be termed out then come back later as prime minister yet again?

Like, I understand the part where that's technically a possibility, but he's still gonna be termed out. If past is prologue someone will replace him, and he'll go on to do something cushy somewhere more lucrative.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

ErIog posted:

So your contention is that you think Abe is going to be termed out then come back later as prime minister yet again?

Like, I understand the part where that's technically a possibility, but he's still gonna be termed out. If past is prologue someone will replace him, and he'll go on to do something cushy somewhere more lucrative.

He's saying it's possible.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't understand. If there was a consensus on reappointing Abe, why wouldn't they just revise the bylaws?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

ErIog posted:

As I said earlier. Abe was elected as PM back in like 2006 following Koizumi stepping down/retiring. He served for a year and then resigned. I don't know what his position was in the LDP in that period, but he's back as PM again. He didn't go off and do something cushy back then when people didn't like him, so its not hard to believe he wouldn't try coming back again in the future if he's so determined. And the consitution specifically says "consecutive" not total, nor does it say anything about "may only serve as president for a max of X number of years."

mystes posted:

I don't understand. If there was a consensus on reappointing Abe, why wouldn't they just revise the bylaws?
I don't know what the process for that looks like and the english site for the LDP doesn't go into detail about amending the party constitution. It simply states it can be done at the party convention. Who knows if that requires a majority vote or a super majority vote. I suspect there would be quite a bit of backlash for trying to change that particular part of the party constitution, just going on human nature and all (politicians all want a chance to lead). Abe is only 61 though, he was the youngest PM post-war when he entered office in 2006. If he leaves his term on a high note and the following few PMs are complete poo poo and cause the country to turn into 2007-2012 all over again, then who knows. He's about the same age when Koizumi stepped down though, so I guess it comes down to how young Abe is still feeling here in 3-5 years when he's nearly 70. Honestly, I think he's done after this. He left his mark, Abenomics.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So at what point do Japan's demographics start enough of a freefall to either force the government to actually fix things, or for the country to go full on Mad Max? I take it Japan has already hit the point of no possible growth economically, I feel like this can't go on much longer. 5 years, 15, more?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am not sure if you can accurately predict how long they can shuffle towards oblivion. What you can predict though is that they will hit Mad Max before they actually try to fix it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

So at what point do Japan's demographics start enough of a freefall to either force the government to actually fix things, or for the country to go full on Mad Max? I take it Japan has already hit the point of no possible growth economically, I feel like this can't go on much longer. 5 years, 15, more?

It would be more of a Children of Men scenario when you think about it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

icantfindaname posted:

It can and will go on for a lot longer than that, basically until the issue sorts itself out in a few generations. The population of Japan is actually quite high considering the size of the place, and it's not like there is some law of nature that says they have to keep the population above 125 million forever.

When you consider that the Japanese in part consider "Japan" to be the collection of people with ancestry in Japan going back a couple thousand years (regardless of the truth of that belief), and not just the mass of land itself, it's obvious why immigration is a non-starter: it does nothing to solve the "problem" of Japanese not having enough kids.

The Japanese will never open up to immigration in any way that would meaningfully affect demographics.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
In my experience, Japan's economic issues have very little to do with demographics and are much more due to insularity and the vested interests that have been able to accrue from the lack of better alternatives.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pressuring half of the population to get educated in order to work for a year and then spend the rest of your life in the kitchen can't be helping anything.

I've also seen the point made that maybe stagnation isn't such a bad thing. Japan's economy has been basically stagnant for 25 years now? And it still has a great standard of living. Plenty of countries would kill to have an economy as bad as Japan.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Poverty and inequality is getting worse, especially for the increasing numbers of single mothers. It's not like stagnation is keeping things equal they are getting worse.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Plenty of countries would kill to have an economy as bad as Greece's too, if that's your point.

Frankly I don't see why Japan should have the worlds 3rd largest economy, but I also suspect that continued shrinkage will result in a loss of the egalitarianism that makes Japan such a good place to live.

efb

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just wonder if it's really as bad as it's always portrayed. I feel like I've been reading about Japan's economic disaster and imminent collapse for 20 years now and nothing seems to be happening.

Maybe this is dumb but it seems like if the country is growing, the economy has to grow to keep up with the standard of living. But if your country is stagnant or shrinking, do you need economic growth to keep the current level of prosperity? I'm not making an argument, I don't know.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
More people are getting poor because taxes are continuing to rise unlike wages, financial assistance is increasing to more and more needy, there are more single parent families with increasing poverty in them because women have less options, there aren't enough workers and no plans to increase immigration, child care is an enormous burden etc etc many signs like this post to a drastic lowering in the quality of life for many.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Frankly a lot of people here are wondering that. Japan is a weird country and can turn on a dime so who knows.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

hadji murad posted:

there aren't enough workers
For which jobs? I'm not seeing that, and in fact I'm leaving Japan because the job market here for what I do is terrible.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kilroy posted:

For which jobs? I'm not seeing that, and in fact I'm leaving Japan because the job market here for what I do is terrible.

Nursing home workers.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What I've seen says its jobs overall. Probably lots of service, the aforementioned health and labour. Certainly there is a lot of useless construction going on.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I just wonder if it's really as bad as it's always portrayed. I feel like I've been reading about Japan's economic disaster and imminent collapse for 20 years now and nothing seems to be happening.

Maybe this is dumb but it seems like if the country is growing, the economy has to grow to keep up with the standard of living. But if your country is stagnant or shrinking, do you need economic growth to keep the current level of prosperity? I'm not making an argument, I don't know.

Japan hasn't actually literally been stagnant since 1990, they hosed up the response to the early 90s recession pretty bad but they did return to mild growth for a while in the late 90s and 2000s up to '08. Plus that's just GDP, incomes also continued rising faster than GDP growth for a while. 1990 is just when the US realized that they weren't magic Oriental supermen who were going to take over the world and the country dropped from the US consciousness to be replaced by bombing Arabs full-time

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 27, 2015

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Rekinom fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That sounds like a gigantic load of orientalist bullshit to say "Japan is racist xenophobes."