Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Xelkelvos posted:

I noticed she had her own Eye belt. I know the mooks have their own belt, but did the other main Ganma have their own variation of the eye-belt?

Yeah they all do.

All Ganma have belts like that.

The stuff with Old Man just makes me more confused what the difference is between making an Advanced Ganma and a Ghost is. Apparently Advanced Ganma are Blank Eyecon + Historically Significant Object, a Non-Ganma Ghost is Historically Significant Object + Fufilled Desire/Reaffirmed Ideal, and a Ganma Ghost is Historically Significant Object + Suicidal Desire for an ideal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

Changeman I'm not AS excited about because tehre are some decent subs done by DeadFish that I happen to still have.

Flashman I am ecstatic about

Well, you most certainly don't have a complete set of Changeman subs from DeadFish, because they skipped a few episodes. If GUIS' release is basically just those, plus muxing/styling the DeadFish subs against the newer raws to match, it will still be a worthwhile release.

Literally The Worst posted:

oh poo poo i thought mfc was doing flashman

dope as hell tho

Dickeye, how many times are you going to forget that they said Dynaman?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

Well, you most certainly don't have a complete set of Changeman subs from DeadFish, because they skipped a few episodes. If GUIS' release is basically just those, plus muxing/styling the DeadFish subs against the newer raws to match, it will still be a worthwhile release.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong- I'd love to have better quality for the episodes and the episodes that got passed over.

But it's the same reason why I wouldn't be AS excited about Metalder subs being done, when simultaneously Jiban subs got announced. I have fairly decent versions of one, don't have the other!

Jiban is a really good show by the by

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AzraelNewtype posted:

Dickeye, how many times are you going to forget that they said Dynaman?

Every single time until it drops

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So how did Drive turn it, and how is Ghost going so far?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Drive turned out awesome.

Ghost is not really judgable, since every episode has been plot setup and open questions. Characters are not that strong though, will probably end up not the best neo hesei, but still far more substantial than wizard. Like probably at the bottom of previous ones minus wizard but still pretty good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

everythingWasBees posted:

So how did Drive turn it, and how is Ghost going so far?
Drive turned out very well. The actual last-episode was kind of superfluous, but the series itself ended well and thematically, and Drive inarguably has the best, most nuanced and interesting villains of any recent KR series.

Ghost has had a couple really good episodes so far, but there's some minor red flags that are personally keeping me from saying too much one way or the other just yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My biggest complaint about Ghost is with the supporting cast. I can't stand bald monk dude, the villains haven't gotten any real development yet, and overall I'm just tuning in for the fights.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

jivjov posted:

My biggest complaint about Ghost is with the supporting cast. I can't stand bald monk dude, the villains haven't gotten any real development yet, and overall I'm just tuning in for the fights.

this is kind of some of the issue I'm having. The show feels so fast paced that the fights are good but have no time to really expand. This week's fight with Spectre and Ghost was really loving good, but it was also like the longest fight the show has had.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

It seems like we're finally possibly seeing why one of the villains is doing what they're doing, but it's a development that should've happened weeks ago.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xelkelvos posted:

It seems like we're finally possibly seeing why one of the villains is doing what they're doing, but it's a development that should've happened weeks ago.

Yeah; Specter is getting some airtime, but Bad Teeth man and Anime Pal (I seriously can't even remember their names...) have zero motivation as of 7 episodes in.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Jeez, the Youkai really are getting lamer and lamer aren't they? This time, the way to gather fear was just to break stuff that could be easily repaired.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I don't hate bald monk dude his only real problem is being a bit too loud.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Elfgames posted:

I don't hate bald monk dude his only real problem is being a bit too loud.

Yeah; his comical excited outbursts just do not work for me at all. If he was excitable, but in a more realistic fashion, I'd be much more okay with him.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
akari has a childhood history with the protagonist and is the one he can trust and confide in most and is also a mad scientist whose father worked in ghostology.

bald monk yells a lot.

really if they entered more supernatural territory he might have a chance to be important, the ganma BARELY feel like ghosts to me and are kind of the least interesting bad guys of the neo hesei set so far. hopefully when the plot starts developing he'll have a chance to do something besides yell.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Acne Rain posted:

akari has a childhood history with the protagonist and is the one he can trust and confide in most and is also a mad scientist whose father worked in ghostology.

Yeah; Akari is alright, especially now that she's more or less dropped the whole "THESE THINGS HAPPENING IN FRONT OF ME AREN'T POSSIBLE!" in favor of "I'm going to study these things and figure out what makes them possible"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The monk guy is the detective here, but neither he nor anyone else ever acknowledges this fact. I mean, it isn't like any of his knowledge of the supernatural is even remotely relevant. So, he repeatedly serves as a plot device to bring the rider together with the ghost he is supposed to fight.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Serious Frolicking posted:

The monk guy is the detective here, but neither he nor anyone else ever acknowledges this fact. I mean, it isn't like any of his knowledge of the supernatural is even remotely relevant. So, he repeatedly serves as a plot device to bring the rider together with the ghost he is supposed to fight.

yeah no one seems to be noting in the show itself that the person doing 90% of the legwork on this poo poo is Onari. It's a little strange.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stallion Cabana posted:

yeah no one seems to be noting in the show itself that the person doing 90% of the legwork on this poo poo is Onari. It's a little strange.

He's not even really doing a lot of the legwork. A client shows up, they go with the client to wherever the client was gonna take them anyway, and there's the Ganma.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My only real issue with Ghost is that he's the least proactive Rider of all time. He's supposed to be looking for heroic Eyecons on a pretty gross time limit, right? Instead, he sits around for weeks until somebody shows up at his house with a ghost problem, and fights a Ganma, which by sheer coincidence ends up summoning a Heroic Soul.

Speaking of Heroic Souls, do we know what his Super Form is yet? I feel like it would be somehow appropriate for it to be Xuanzang or some other legendary demon wrangler.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

deadly_pudding posted:

My only real issue with Ghost is that he's the least proactive Rider of all time. He's supposed to be looking for heroic Eyecons on a pretty gross time limit, right? Instead, he sits around for weeks until somebody shows up at his house with a ghost problem, and fights a Ganma, which by sheer coincidence ends up summoning a Heroic Soul.

Speaking of Heroic Souls, do we know what his Super Form is yet? I feel like it would be somehow appropriate for it to be Xuanzang or some other legendary demon wrangler.

It is apparently called 'Tokon Boost', and it's a more red version of his base form.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I kinda wish that every episode didn't start with him moping in the basement until someone comes to drag his rear end out.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman 47

Just four episodes and the movie left.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I kinda wish that every episode didn't start with him moping in the basement until someone comes to drag his rear end out.

They're just trying to make him relatable for the secondary audience.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Motto posted:

They're just trying to make him relatable for the secondary audience.

Hikikimori's?

I really hope that Akari will create a tech based rider suit at some point for the monk. It would be a fun thematic thing to do....but it's never going to happen is it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Hikikimori's?

I really hope that Akari will create a tech based rider suit at some point for the monk. It would be a fun thematic thing to do....but it's never going to happen is it?

You are seriously overestimating her competence. She followed someone else's directions to make a ghost revealer, but got stuck and had to be helped out. Then a couple episodes later said device was made completely obsolete when the old man simply gave them a superior alternative. Her vague 'science skills' don't seem to have any more relevance than the monk's enthusiasm for the supernatural. Akari is not Rinna, and has no particular knowledge of rider-based technology.

But then, much like the monk her role probably isn't based on her interests at all. She snatched that eyecon last episode like a boss, and seems to be Takeru's primary emotional support. In other words, Akari's guts are more relevant than her smarts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth TNT posted:

Hikikimori's?

Does she have a penis? Even a hypothetical one like Chase?

No?

Then I'm sorry she cannot be a Rider because Japan is awful.

Well be a Rider and LIVE anyways.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm sure the endgame involves Ticket absorbing 15 Eyecons and transforming into some kind of rude upgrade, but I would also accept some twist that involves Ticket transforming into some kind of henshin device for Onari to create the ultimate Joke Rider.

Please turn Ticket into a henshin device for somebody, Toei :pray:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

You are seriously overestimating her competence. She followed someone else's directions to make a ghost revealer, but got stuck and had to be helped out. Then a couple episodes later said device was made completely obsolete when the old man simply gave them a superior alternative. Her vague 'science skills' don't seem to have any more relevance than the monk's enthusiasm for the supernatural. Akari is not Rinna, and has no particular knowledge of rider-based technology.

But then, much like the monk her role probably isn't based on her interests at all. She snatched that eyecon last episode like a boss, and seems to be Takeru's primary emotional support. In other words, Akari's guts are more relevant than her smarts.

why are you so concerned that akari does ALL of her mad science with no help whatsoever.
none of what she's done could be accomplished by any other character and i prefer fictional scientists to have some limits, especially considering her age.

like go to the physics section of arxiv.org and see if you can get ANYTHING from a random submitted paper

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

why are you so concerned that akari does ALL of her mad science with no help whatsoever.
none of what she's done could be accomplished by any other character and i prefer fictional scientists to have some limits, especially considering her age.

like go to the physics section of arxiv.org and see if you can get ANYTHING from a random submitted paper

I would like it if she did any of it. But Ghost is magic-based (or maybe extradimensional science, who knows?), and Akari isn't a magician. She tried to do one science thing and wasn't up to the task. Maybe that will change in the future, but for now it is more of a character quirk than a useful ability.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I would like it if she did any of it. But Ghost is magic-based (or maybe extradimensional science, who knows?), and Akari isn't a magician. She tried to do one science thing and wasn't up to the task. Maybe that will change in the future, but for now it is more of a character quirk than a useful ability.

I think Ghost is going for a "magic is science we don't understand" thing. Evil BadTeeth had a tech version of the Ghost Monolith in that flashback, and he has a bunch of electronic poo poo in his Magical Murder Bag that can forcibly transform a soul into an Eyecon, but also drawing a giant eyeball can make a hole in dimensions and levitate a city block.

I do think the lantern totally undermined Akari's achievement as a character, though, and that's pretty lovely. Maybe Onari will carry the lantern in the future, so they both have a ghost-revealing device? I hope so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My guess is that something happened behind the scenes to cause the glitter launcher to be introduced at all, and then it was soon ditched for a plastic piece of crap they could sell to kids. But who knows, it could have just as easily been awkward writing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Burkion posted:

No?

Also because it's a merchandise-driven show targeted mainly at boys and those tend to be bad about women regardless of country of origin.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Burkion posted:

No?

I know, that's why I hold hope that she will create a suit for the monk guy. :shrug: I know it's never going to happen, just like how Wizards sidekicks never amounted to anything. Except Rinko who was subsequent;y kidnapped.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Motto posted:

Also because it's a merchandise-driven show targeted mainly at boys and those tend to be bad about women regardless of country of origin.

The saddest truth. Kiriko was basically perfect Rider material in Drive, but all they gave her was a gun and special shoes which is more than more female characters get in a Rider series, but still.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kiriko was better suited to it than Tomari at the beginning, but it was impossible for reasons that were never really explained.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We already knew the explanation

Motto posted:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The saddest truth. Kiriko was basically perfect Rider material in Drive, but all they gave her was a gun and special shoes which is more than more female characters get in a Rider series, but still.

Both of which just kind of dissapeared not long after their introduction. Which is too bad because while I kind of liked Kiriko at first but her character was just really mishandled during the course of the series.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Tsuburaya has put up the first episode of Ultraman Nexus with English subtitles on their Youtube channel with an announcement that the series is coming to Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RED ALERT

RED ALERT

RED ALERT

BEST EARLY HEISEI RIDER SERIES INCOMING

THIS IS NOT A DRILL THIS IS NOT A DRILL

gently caress yes gently caress yes gently caress yes gently caress YES

For all of the problems Nexus had with its conclusion, this is still the best loving thing.

• Locked thread