Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
The combat is styled more similarly to the far superior wow combat than to the pointedly terrible xi combat, unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Antillie posted:

So I absolutely loved FFXI back in my college days. My wife and I even played it together for several years after college. But these days we have a kid and our lives are busy so I don't have time to wait around for 30+ minutes for a party invite, spend 15 minutes getting to camp, and then spend an hour or more just to get a reasonable amount of XP. We quit playing just after the last expansion (seekers of something or other) came out. I really loved the combat style in FFXI and I also really loved playing PLD (and people told me I was quite good at it). I have tried WoW and I really like WoWs casual design but the graphical style is rather off putting and combat in WoW is a bit more fast paced than I would like. (Maybe WoWs combat slows down a bit in end game, I am not max level in WoW so I don't know.)

Is FFXIV similar enough to FFXI that I might enjoy it? I have done some reading and it looks like a much more casual game that can be played in short 20-30 minutes spurts instead of needing to devote 2+ hours to the game at a time. That is exactly what I am looking for. But is the combat a similar style of game play as FFXI? Or is it just frantic button mashing and set in stone spell/ability rotations like WoW?

It's WoW but it is generally slower paced. The global cooldown is 2.5 seconds in FF14 versus 1.5 in WoW. Some classes can get really frantic due to having a lot of off-GCD abilities such as dragoon, ninja and machinist though. If you rolled a tank in FF14 you might find it acceptable as tanks are fairly low involvement, at least from the perspective of having to push a bunch of keys quickly.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Antillie posted:

So I absolutely loved FFXI back in my college days. My wife and I even played it together for several years after college. But these days we have a kid and our lives are busy so I don't have time to wait around for 30+ minutes for a party invite, spend 15 minutes getting to camp, and then spend an hour or more just to get a reasonable amount of XP. We quit playing just after the last expansion (seekers of something or other) came out. I really loved the combat style in FFXI and I also really loved playing PLD (and people told me I was quite good at it). I have tried WoW and I really like WoWs casual design but the graphical style is rather off putting and combat in WoW is a bit more fast paced than I would like. (Maybe WoWs combat slows down a bit in end game, I am not max level in WoW so I don't know.)

Is FFXIV similar enough to FFXI that I might enjoy it? I have done some reading and it looks like a much more casual game that can be played in short 20-30 minutes spurts instead of needing to devote 2+ hours to the game at a time. That is exactly what I am looking for. But is the combat a similar style of game play as FFXI? Or is it just frantic button mashing and set in stone spell/ability rotations like WoW?

It's much more like WoW then 11. For what it's worth, it's not really "frantic button mashing", if only because the global cooldown is 2.5s in FF14, rather than 1.5s in WoW. Some classes press more buttons than others between having attack speed buffs or lots of abilities you use between global cooldowns, but it's a lot slower than WoW in general.

There's still rotations, though.

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 27, 2015

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Also, you can jump in XIV.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

The Grimace posted:

The official forums are a hive of scum and villainy any way you look at it. Every so often you see a kernel of interest in the form of a post by Fernhalwes or Corvinoobus, but 99% of the posts by the actual players are poo poo. Corvinoobus recently made an interesting thread about the changes between the EN and JP versions of Haurchefant, and the thread gradually devolved into a single Tumblr user doing everything they could to complain about dumb bullshit.

Don't know why I even bother, god damnnnnn

That thread would have been better if they at least mentioned what the changes were to Haurchefant. I guess he was more flirty in the JP version or something? I don't really remember what Haurchefant did in 2.x.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L41DwQ4f3FE

the difference in the cutscenes should be telling enough for this

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Xenoveritas posted:

That thread would have been better if they at least mentioned what the changes were to Haurchefant. I guess he was more flirty in the JP version or something? I don't really remember what Haurchefant did in 2.x.

Extremely flamboyant and eccentric are the two words I would use I suppose. He's got a bit of an obsession with the WoL in attributes not strictly limited to "saving the world".

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 27, 2015

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

ilifinicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L41DwQ4f3FE

the difference in the cutscenes should be telling enough for this
:32 is the sweet spot.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they even use the Haurchefant catchphrase 「イイ」("NICE", "GOOD") as the password for the latest soundtrack Blu-ray, a thing which is completely gone from the English version

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
And then Wind Up Haurchefant's ability in Verminion is E.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well I guess the Japanese version misses out on all the good puns so they have to get something

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Xenoveritas posted:

Having issues finding this thread. That forum is way too subdivided!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's in the dev post sidebar: Regarding the Localization of Haurchefant in the EN/FR/DE Versions of FFXIV

It rapidly devolves into some guy complaining about the lack of gay NPCs.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Xenoveritas posted:

some guy complaining about the lack of gay NPCs.

In the Haurchefaunt thread?? :laffo:

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Well I guess the Japanese version misses out on all the good puns so they have to get something

Now I don't read or speak japanese myself but if i've learned anything about the language over the years is that they freaking love puns. So I would never assume they are missing out on puns.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They have serious quest/FATE names instead of joke ones.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
For my part, while I think it's a shame that the English players missed out on the hilariously flamboyant Haurchefant, I was more bothered by the fact that the localisation teams took it upon themselves to completely rewrite a character and the guy in charge of the game had to find out well after-the-fact from fans asking him about it.

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 27, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

In the Haurchefaunt thread?? :laffo:

Somehow he interprets the "we made the localized version too different" as "we're going to make the Japanese version not have any gay NPCs in the future" or something.

Tzarnal posted:

Now I don't read or speak japanese myself but if i've learned anything about the language over the years is that they freaking love puns. So I would never assume they are missing out on puns.

The puns come from Koji Fox, who leads the localization team. (Or the EN localization team? I'm a bit unclear.)

He's said that the Japanese team has started making their FATE/Quest names have more puns based on the JP community wishing that their quest names were more like the EN version.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
They also love their ASOIAF references. Dusk Vigil is probably the biggest concentration of it though maybe not all of it is intentional.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Potato Jones posted:

:32 is the sweet spot.

Yee

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Quake Me Up Before You O'Ghomoro

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Skaw posted:

Either way, it's the tanks fault.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chyea posted:

Blood Augur Hex Magicks

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Chyea posted:

My friend had to pause for five minutes after seeing that name and the one in one of the La Nosceas labeled Too Many Cooks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Blood Augur Hex Magicks

No Ifs, ands or Butts

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Failboattootoot posted:

It's WoW but it is generally slower paced. The global cooldown is 2.5 seconds in FF14 versus 1.5 in WoW. Some classes can get really frantic due to having a lot of off-GCD abilities such as dragoon, ninja and machinist though. If you rolled a tank in FF14 you might find it acceptable as tanks are fairly low involvement, at least from the perspective of having to push a bunch of keys quickly.

Ryanbomber posted:

It's much more like WoW then 11. For what it's worth, it's not really "frantic button mashing", if only because the global cooldown is 2.5s in FF14, rather than 1.5s in WoW. Some classes press more buttons than others between having attack speed buffs or lots of abilities you use between global cooldowns, but it's a lot slower than WoW in general.

There's still rotations, though.

I actually don't like the fact that WoW has a global cool down. I liked being able to chain Provoke > Sentinel > Flash > Cure IV > Provoke or Sentinel > Rampart > Warcry as PLD. For me the appealing thing was needing to decide when to use my abilities and why in an intelligent manner instead of always spamming things as soon as their cool down ended (Provoke aside). So the occasional flurry of ability usage doesn't bother me. But in WoW having to hit frostbolt every 1.5 seconds because no DD can ever make enough hate to pull the mob off the tank is just boring. When I played BLM I had to carefully manage my spells against my MP pool (which in WoW is basically infinite) and how much hate the tank had so I didn't run out of MP and become useless or get murdered by the mob. As a PLD I had to pace my abilities to what the DDs were doing. Spamming them was actually far less effective than using them at the proper moments. Shield bash was a great tool for stunning a mob if you lost aggro or if the mob was about to use some deadly ability. But it had a long cool down so if you spammed it it didn't do much for you because you would end up using it at the wrong time.

I guess I liked the tactical nature of the combat in FFXI as opposed to WoW's "press a key every 1.5 seconds to win". I like the idea of FFXIV being more casual to FFXI's super hardcore design but I worry that the game play will be a bit too simple to keep me interested during a fight. I suppose I will just have to try the game out and see.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 27, 2015

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I got Heavensward on sale and resubbed, but I want to start over. What non-Excalibur goon guild has the most active members?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Early game is actually really painful, when you only have one or two abilities that you hit on clockwork. Like, really, really painful.

It opens up quite a bit late game when you have multiple combos available and more off cooldown abilities you weave between them.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Early game is actually really painful, when you only have one or two abilities that you hit on clockwork. Like, really, really painful.

It opens up quite a bit late game when you have multiple combos available and more off cooldown abilities you weave between them.

I'm going through that now as someone who played for a week sparingly and then forgot about it and re-subbed just a few days ago.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Antillie posted:

I suppose I will just have to try the game out and see.

There's a two week free trial that limits you to level 20. That's enough to get into dungeons and understand the basics of how the game plays, though it does have the issue of only being low levels so you're stuck with boring combat where you only have a couple skills.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Antillie posted:

I actually don't like the fact that WoW has a global cool down. I liked being able to chain Provoke > Sentinel > Flash > Cure IV > Provoke or Sentinel > Rampart > Warcry as PLD. For me the appealing thing was needing to decide when to use my abilities and why in an intelligent manner instead of always spamming things as soon as their cool down ended (Provoke aside). So the occasional flurry of ability usage doesn't bother me. But in WoW having to hit frostbolt every 1.5 seconds because no DD can ever make enough hate to pull the mob off the tank is just boring. When I played BLM I had to carefully manage my spells against my MP pool (which in WoW is basically infinite) and how much hate the tank had so I didn't run out of MP and become useless or get murdered by the mob. As a PLD I had to pace my abilities to what the DDs were doing. Spamming them was actually far less effective than using them at the proper moments. Shield bash was a great tool for stunning a mob if you lost aggro or if the mob was about to use some deadly ability. But it had a long cool down so if you spammed it it didn't do much for you because you would end up using it at the wrong time.

I guess I liked the tactical nature of the combat in FFXI as opposed to WoW's "press a key every 1.5 seconds to win". I like the idea of FFXIV being more casual to FFXI's super hardcore design but I worry that the game play will be a bit too simple to keep me interested during a fight. I suppose I will just have to try the game out and see.

I never really understood the idea of threat as an interesting mechanic. "Wait for 3 sunders" isn't really engaging for the DPS or some kind of brilliant strategic play by the tank. I kind of prefer modern WoW's approach of making the tank's second-to-second gameplay be more about reducing the damage they take through very short cooldowns, but whatever :v:

Aside from some classes having their major abilities unevenly distributed during leveling (ask a new Lancer about Impulse Drive), nobody has a brainless one-button "spam frostbolt" style rotation, and everyone's got varying numbers of off-GCD abilities to be used for bursts of activity. It's more involved than what you're describing, although I'm not really sure MMO combat in general has ever been super-involved.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dross posted:

I got Heavensward on sale and resubbed, but I want to start over. What non-Excalibur goon guild has the most active members?

There are smattering of groups elsewhere, but there is no reason whatsoever to not roll on excal.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Antillie posted:

It's worth giving ffxiv a shot if you've got the money for it, but if that doesn't work out it sounds like you might appreciate tanking in WoW. It's a lot less spammy since you have a lot of shot-term cooldown management (though you do have filler abilites).

All dps classes in FFXIV are GCD locked, but you also have a LOT more abilities to rotate through, so it might feel less spammy. That said, the order you use abilities is usually pretty much set, which is good if you like to be able to plan ahead but bad if you appreciate making quick decisions based on the fight itself.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Xenoveritas posted:

In the 2014 Heavensturn event, Haurchefant (in disguise) is called upon to judge between a Chocobo and a Horse, for worthiness as a steed. You have arranged this. His dialogue goes:

quote:

Haurchefant: Then your honor is forfeit, as is hers. The finest creature here is neither the horse nor the chocobo...
Haurchefant: ...but my trusted comrade of many adventures, [player name]!
Haurchefant: Look at the scars upon her kabuto. How mightily she must have toiled to become a horse...and against all odds, succeed!
Haurchefant: The docility to accept well-nigh impossible commands, the physical talents to carry them out─to a warrior born such as I, there are no virtues greater in a steed!
Haurchefant: I say, be my personal steed! There will be none greater, furred or feathered. The finest carrots you will have. Your feet I will scrape, and...

As I understand it, JP Haurchefant is like that all the time. Injecting ponyplay kink and other innuendo, openly inviting you into his bedchamber, etc.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess the JP version has to have something in it that's funny

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Antillie posted:

\When I played BLM I had to carefully manage my spells against my MP pool (which in WoW is basically infinite)

Funny you should say that! FFXIV BLM has effectively infinite MP, they just take a DPS hit while they're regenerating. The flip side is that you have to make sure that you don't wind up without enough MP to actually trigger the switch into MP regen mode, or else you'll sit around looking like an idiot. Plus there's lots of other stuff you have to deal with, like making sure that you don't let the buff that lets you cast your big heavy-hitter spells fall off, making sure you keep casting Fire 1 to keep up your other damage buff, etc. The rotation is fairly vanilla against a target that never attacks you, but any boss with mechanics makes it an interesting fight.

ilifinicus posted:

they even use the Haurchefant catchphrase 「イイ」("NICE", "GOOD") as the password for the latest soundtrack Blu-ray, a thing which is completely gone from the English version

I heard it was also supposed to look like a pair of kneesocks (ii) which Sozen is well-known for having a massive thing for.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are smattering of groups elsewhere, but there is no reason whatsoever to not roll on excal.

Like other than "it won't let me"?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dross posted:

Like other than "it won't let me"?

Just wait until the middle of the night or early AM EST and you can get in. It's worth doing.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Zinkraptor posted:

That said, the order you use abilities is usually pretty much set, which is good if you like to be able to plan ahead but bad if you appreciate making quick decisions based on the fight itself.

This is actually very disappointing to hear. But think its worth a free trial at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Antillie posted:

Endgame gets pretty mechanic-heavy, I think you'll enjoy it! A lot of it is based on dodging AOE attacks, to be fair.

• Locked thread