Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Updates on the shooting:

quote:

Scanner traffic indicated at least two officers were down, one near a dumpster, and another taken by ambulance to a hospital. A dispatcher said one patient was wounded at Elite Vision, located an adjacent building at 3470 Centennial Blvd. A later dispatch said at four were injured and an officer was heard requesting an ambulance. Another officer indicated wounded patients were being taken to Penrose Hospital, 2222 N. Nevada Ave.

At least one victim was taken by stretcher to an ambulance shortly after noon.

http://gazette.com/active-shooter-s...article/1564419

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is he still in the building?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

what is he thinking? is he gonna save the babies by murdering their mothers? he's probably going to kill the staff and doctors to stop them from performing abortions (regardless of if the location provides abortion services)

:smith:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Condiv posted:

what is he thinking? is he gonna save the babies by murdering their mothers? he's probably going to kill the staff and doctors to stop them from performing abortions (regardless of if the location provides abortion services)

Certain fundamentalist churches preach that shooting abortion doctors isn't a mortal sin in the eyes of God because you're saving the babies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It sounds like he's not in Planned Parenthood.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Is he still in the building?

Very unclear. There's a reporter on site tweeting here: https://twitter.com/bystephenhobbs

Condiv posted:

In the past, they've murdered doctors and staff as part of their crusade, so wouldn't shock me.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Where's the tweet from Dave Shapiro or someone with journalistic clout lamenting this abundance of attention on the victims of this shooting, and not the real victims?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They deleted it right afterward :bravo:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 27, 2015

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Everything about this image is an affront to human decency.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
#JumpToConclusionsMuch

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Edit: New York Times International account confirms this, citing dispatcher.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 27, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Just heard "one victim near the _____________________, not viable" announced on the scanner. :(

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Boomers = ISIS

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rexicon1 posted:

Boomers = ISIS
That's absurd.

40s is a Gen Xer.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Just to be clear, the total inability to understand the chain of causation between things that you can't immediately see is surprisingly common. Humanity knew the cure for scurvy for centuries, but thousands died year after year because people couldn't make the right connections between the potential causes and their effects without a modern, scientific understanding of exactly what scurvy was and why it did or didn't happen.

Going back a few pages (because seriously gently caress the last several) to thank you for this excellent link. That was a very good read.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's absurd.

40s is a Gen Xer.

Gen X as a generation are as conservative as Baby Boomers, according to this

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/08/upshot/how-the-year-you-were-born-influences-your-politics.html

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Gen Xers are potentially worse to me because they were most likely more well educated than boomers and they should loving know better.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Rexicon1 posted:

Gen Xers are potentially worse to me because they were most likely more well educated than boomers and they should loving know better.

Plenty of true believers who came of age under saint Ronnie, as seen by the primary field: walker, rubio, cruz, jindal

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm pretty much in the middle of GenX (I turn 40 in a couple months) and people in my generation are every bit as lovely as boomers when it comes to entitlement, racism, FYGMism, and all the other -isms that make life in America so loving miserable. Especially early-stage GenX-ers born in the 60s/early 70s.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DemeaninDemon posted:

Wonder what a modern leftist would be like in 1776.

"Pfft I'm not joining your revolt because your declaration of Independence doesn't include a single payer option."

Nantucket refused to send a delegation to the Massachusetts ratifying convention because it was a Quaker commune at the time and they refused to consider any constitution which established a national army.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

#JumpToConclusionsMuch

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
eHarmony: for when you're worried about a terrorist attack but also lonely.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Stuff like this is always in the back of my mind any time I stop by to refill my birth control pills. Some nutcase could kill me just because I want meds to make my period a little more tolerable.

Don't you know we all must suffer for Eve's sin?

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

FourLeaf posted:

Except when it comes to my health insurance premium!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Saw this on reddit:

The well known "liberal shithole" of Colorado loving Springs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I love how the Right stirs up all the hatred and then shrugs when something actually happen.

fknlo posted:

Saw this on reddit:

But....Colorado Springs is a Conservative Shithole :ohdear:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

fknlo posted:

Saw this on reddit:

Apparently this is a frequent running joke on /pol/ to blame anything and everything on this guy, a comedian named Sam Hyde.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FourLeaf posted:

That was actualy a legit thing in the old days. women should and have to feel pain during birthing because original sin.

fknlo posted:

Saw this on reddit:

its fake. its the sam hyde meme.

though it almost ceritnely is some conservative nut doing the real shooting.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I love how the Right stirs up all the hatred and then shrugs when something actually happen.

But....Colorado Springs is a Conservative Shithole :ohdear:

Isn't that the same dude that people tried to blame the Oregon shootings on too?

Edit: Never mind too slow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its fake. its the sam hyde meme.

Ah. Guess I'm a little behind on my 4chan memes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fknlo posted:

Ah. Guess I'm a little behind on my 4chan memes.

sam hyde is a comedian/art dude who created parkourdude91, who alot of people including myself thought was legit. he had his friend try to be the stupidest most assholish dudebro who loves weed/deagles and cod. you can find the videos on youtube.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Fried Chicken posted:

Racism exists as a structural component of society rather than as a force of aggregate individuals. Thus the traits of individuals aren't particularly relevant, and reducing racism down to that has the effect of ignoring its pervasive nature, thus extending it.

Trying to make being racist nto something only dumb people do, like how it has been reduced to something only bad people do, is how we end up with the current situation of there being a ton of racism, but curiously no one involved "has a single racist bone in their body"

In the more direct of there being highly intelligent, highly accomplished, highly racist people about, I'm not really sure why anyone would deny that, "Ties are a bigger threat than hoods", remember? The bankers who gave subprime loans to "mudpeople", the legislative assistants who draw up laws with disparate impact against black people, the criminologists who come up with the policing training that treats minorities as a greater societal threat, the intelligence analysists who devote more time to communities of color than right wing militias, the organization heads at top colleges that freeze out minority students from joining them... It is tempting to have those channers in Minnesota be your image of the average racist, but the ones making it happen are the white collar upper middle/upper class people

calling racist people dumb or bad isnt the cause of people ignoring the effects of racism or pretending it doesnt exist, lmao.

people just like to justify being a shitlord regardless

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Whoops, I reversed the criteria. :downs:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 27, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So is the incident actually at a PP clinic or just near it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doctor Butts posted:

So is the incident actually at a PP clinic or just near it?

He shot up the PP and then fled. He's sitting in a lobby of some building now.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
But in what ways is he not a terrorist?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
TFW you get a sick BearCat from DHS to fight terrorism and have to use it against your own citizens.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That was actualy a legit thing in the old days. women should and have to feel pain during birthing because original sin.

It's still pushed in fundie circles. I heard it a lot growing up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

Well, he's white, so he's a lone wolf or someone with a mental illness.

At what point does extreme right wing conservatism become a mental illness instead of a political ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DemeaninDemon posted:

He's white.

• Locked thread