Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

blackmarketlimb posted:

Didn't Hanzee explicitly state that the reason he's so good at tracking was because of his tunnel rat status in Vietnam? I'd have to rewatch the episode, but I could swear he said that when he was monologing at Donny.

i guess i didn't mention that yeah, it isn't super heavy-handed. like you say with his 'Nam story and everything, and also he's shown to be competent/clever in other ways. but imo the stereotype is not either rejected or subverted much at all, which in effect is a reinforcement of it, regardless of the author's intent

i'm not trying to start a big derail here but this is how it's come across to my silly rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

I just realized there is another dog in the background on the couch to represent the howling wolf. This picture is magical.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Jethro. loving. Tull.

That is all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This show is just incredible - even outside of the great story/acting/characters etc, it just looks utterly gorgeous. All those overhead shots of the forest when Bear was driving Simone, and later walking her through the trees.... goddamn.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I hope season 3 is set in the 90's. Maybe a few of the characters are back, but mostly it's a new messed-up crime story. Hawley has like, the maximum amount of trust I can possibly have in someone, so I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever he comes up with when it hits in around 2 or 3 years.

Gonna be a long wait :negative:.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

My guess is Ed is calling both of them, hoping to get both sides dead in a shootout in Sioux Falls to solve all their problems.

And my other guess is that it's all Peggy's idea.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Chadzok posted:

My guess is Ed is calling both of them, hoping to get both sides dead in a shootout in Sioux Falls to solve all their problems.

Sounds like it could be right. Either way, some really bad poo poo is going down there. It's not like Lou is unaccustomed to violence; he's seen plenty of deaths this season already, so for Sioux Falls to stick out in his mind for the rest of his life must mean it's pretty awful.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Another excellent episode. Whether it was intentional or not I liked how Mike just started spouting quotes after he got off the phone with Kansas City HQ. To me it came across as him trying to re-assert to himself that he is intelligent, kind of psyching himself up to get back into the game.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yeah, this was the first time we saw Mike lose control and let his mask slip a little.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
When they first mentioned the possibility of the "Undertaker" being sent to replace Mike, I figured that this was probably a guy that we 'd get to see for a scene or two before he gets abruptly killed.
It was interesting to see Mike sort of - kind of lose his cool, but I'd prefer it if he was left more... wounded by the encounter.
Still, maybe they are again going for a/the less obvious character taking Mike out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
People seem to think the Ed call was under duress from Dodd or Hanzee, like they're setting up an ambush for Mike or something, but I don't think that's the case. If Hanzee had caught up with Ed, Ed would probably be dead and Dodd would be back with the Gerhardts. I think Ed really does have Dodd, but I don't think he's going to make a trade-off without getting blood on his hands or without his plan (to get money to start a new life) going awry. I think if anything, Ed's going to somehow get caught up in Kansas City's crime operation, possibly getting approached by the higher-ups to actually replace Mike as their new enforcer.

Maybe Ed is asked to kill Mike as his first "assignment" :shrug:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

King Vidiot posted:

I think if anything, Ed's going to somehow get caught up in Kansas City's crime operation, possibly getting approached by the higher-ups to actually replace Mike as their new enforcer.

Maybe Ed is asked to kill Mike as his first "assignment" :shrug:
On one hand, that would be really dumb. On the other, I'd be super into Ed being revealed as some History of Violence style secret badass.

Did the show ever mention how long Ed & Peggy have actually been together?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Well I think I read some interview with that infamous "Iceman" enforcer, who said that criminal families often hire people off the street who show any kind of potential, and Ed's been dispatching guys handily and even disposed of a body. I just think that the idea of a hapless guy realizing how easy it is to do horrible things fits in with the Fargo universe. You had Jerry Lundegaard putting his wife at risk to collect kidnapping money, you had Lester Nygaard killing his wife in the heat of the moment and getting involved with an evil man, and now you have Ed Blumquist killing two members of a crime family and working with the enforcer of another.

Ed is either going to turn out to have been "The Butcher" all along, a hapless guy who gets that label put on him by people who think he's a pro, or he'll turn pro by the end. Or one of the previous options and he'll die in the end.

Ehud posted:

Either that or Ed and Peggy are aliens and their home planet is called California.

Ed gets abducted just before Mike arrives, Mike just finds an abandoned car with Dodd in the trunk.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 25, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think it's as simple as: Ed and Peggy are holding Dodd in the hopes that they can make a deal for some kind of immunity from the Gerhardt family.

"You give us your word that you won't hurt us and we'll give you Dodd."

I don't think anyone is going to mistake Ed for a person deserving of the title, "The Butcher". I think the Gerhardts and KC mob will end up having their final showdown as the result of Ed's plan.

So yeah, put me down for the obvious, straightforward ending.

Either that or Ed and Peggy are aliens and their home planet is called California.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Maybe it wasn't a lucky ricochet off the frying pan after all :tinfoil:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

*non-nonchalantly walks into thread and suddenly stands faced with this post and stares wide eyed in stunned silence*

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

*pretends to be stunned and shocked, doesn't get it*

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

*pretends to be stunned and shocked, doesn't get it*

same

e:

this better not have anything to do with that drat cow painting

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 25, 2015

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
It was someone from the schadenfreude thread in PYF making a rough diagram on how skateboard trucks make a skateboard turn. Nothing to do with Fargo.

The fact that people thought it had to do with the alien conspiracy on the show was probably the schadenfreude

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Hot drat what an episode. Floyd is one of the best female characters I've ever seen on TV. That half smile as she ratted out the KC Mob.... :allears:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Uh what

illumn8d
Jul 24, 2002

If you've ever had someone grab your nutsack in a tussle then yank on it, you'll know why I greased the boys up.
So is the Palaces of the Gods supposed to be a reference to Chariots of the Gods? (that would make a lot more sense than Khmer book which was written after the show takes place)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

poo poo, I didn't even check when it was published.

I'm looking forward to Ed & Peggy's side of the story next episode but I hope they don't pull a full Walking Dead and spend the whole ep with them. Can't wait for that Hank & Betsy scene.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Unzip and Attack posted:

Hot drat what an episode. Floyd is one of the best female characters I've ever seen on TV. That half smile as she ratted out the KC Mob.... :allears:

I loved it when she says "I'm gonna smoke" then, instead of pulling out a pack of cigarettes, she pulls out a pipe and tobacco.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

These loss edits are getting seriously cryptic.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
This has to be Nick Offerman's best role. Karl Weathers was basically written for him.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Jake Armitage posted:

I have a strong feeling that Simone isn't dead. Not just because we never saw the deed or heard a gunshot, but because I think that scene was straight out of Miller's Crossing. I admit though its been 25 years since I saw Miller's Crossing so I could have the details all wrong.

DivisionPost posted:

Well, the story of Miller's Crossing is that John Tutorro pleads for Gabriel Byrne not to shoot him, he doesn't, but then Tutorro, genius he is, comes back to try and blackmail Byrne. So if they're taking that part of Miller's Crossing, it's a little late in the game (but certainly not impossible).

I may have misheard this but on a Fargo podcast I think they mentioned that this episode also featured a cover of a song from that forest scene in Miller's Crossing. So it was definitely a deliberate reference even if it doesn't really confirm whether or not she really is dead.

Also I just saw Miller's Crossing for the first time like 6 months ago and I love it. I really just wanted to tell you all that I'm in the "Have seen Miller's Crossing and am therefore cooler and more cultured than you" club.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

MullardEL34 posted:

This has to be Nick Offerman's best role. Karl Weathers was basically written for him.

He hasn't mentioned stew once. :argh:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MullardEL34 posted:

Ooooh, I completely missed his name in the show somehow, so every time people misspelled his name in this thread I thought they were talking about the actor and I was confused as to what the hell they were talking about because I knew he wasn't in the show.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MullardEL34 posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised with Offerman's acting outside of Parks and Rec. He was good on Brooklyn 99 without being too over the top or repetitive in his humor and on Fargo he hasn't hammed it up at all. Solid delivery and solid acting in my opinion.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wow that red text is loving huuuuge. And stupid.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Doltos posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised with Offerman's acting outside of Parks and Rec. He was good on Brooklyn 99 without being too over the top or repetitive in his humor and on Fargo he hasn't hammed it up at all. Solid delivery and solid acting in my opinion.

Yeah I like him in everything I've seen him in, or at a minimum have never actively disliked him even in the smaller roles I've seen him in in the past. I read his memoir as well, it's a pretty fine read and I recommend it to any Offerman fan.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
He was pretty entertaining in person as well, had a chance to see him talk here in Champaign IL where he went to school and the place was packed, and he hung out after for a while too. Seems like a cool dude.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

He does "tall talk" perfectly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just watched the movie Fargo and binged through the first season in two days. I enjoyed the movie enough but the season made me feel wanting. The first half of the season was definitely some of the most captivating television I've ever seen but then I just became more and more irritated with the show as the season crept to the end. The last couple episodes just kind of pissed me off. Maybe I just don't "get it" I don't know, and I can't really articulate what I'd have preferred. But I found nothing about the resolution really satisfying. Or the leadup to the resolution.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The first half of the season was definitely some of the most captivating television I've ever seen but then I just became more and more irritated with the show as the season crept to the end. The last couple episodes just kind of pissed me off. Maybe I just don't "get it" I don't know, and I can't really articulate what I'd have preferred. But I found nothing about the resolution really satisfying. Or the leadup to the resolution.

Interesting. Aside from some niggling I think most of us in the S1 thread were pretty pumped and satisfied with the conclusion. Some of the subplots (like the grocery store guy) didn't get rave reviews but generally (and for me personally) I thought the Malvo and Lester conclusions were pretty well done. If you can figure out what you didn't like, I'm sure some of us ITT would be interested in hearing about it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
To me Malvo seemed to gradually transform from some kind of scary and mysterious otherworldly force into a gary-sue comic book villain who could literally do no wrong. His 'closing out' of the Fargo syndicate subplot by just murdering everyone in the building video game style was really unsatisfying.

And the American Pheonix subplot was a total waste of time that led nowhere. Yeah I get it, Malvo is an rear end in a top hat who likes causing chaos for chaos sake. That was established when he ratted on the guy who pissed in the car's gas tank.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
S2 has been way more fun for me than S1. I just enjoy the characters and heck, the weather is so nice in the 70's in those parts.

Rewatching the S2E1 and I want the third season to just be about Rye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Howling Man posted:

S2 has been way more fun for me than S1. I just enjoy the characters and heck, the weather is so nice in the 70's in those parts.

Rewatching the S2E1 and I want the third season to just be about Rye.

Fargo Season 3: Origins of a Belt Buckle. I wouldn't be surprised if they delve into the past of a character we see die in season 1 or 2 though.

• Locked thread