Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Eh, I wouldn't say Part 4 is hugely influenced by Dio. Sure, he put parts of it into motion (mostly Okuyasu's dad) but the reasons behind Kira's actions have nothing at all to do with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Can't the arrow shenanigans be lead back to Dio?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Butt Ghost posted:

Can't the arrow shenanigans be lead back to Dio?

I guess, but Diavolo's the one who found the stuff in the first place (right?). I guess you can assume some bad poo poo would have ended up going down no matter what, it just might not have involved the Joestars as much ultimately.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

presumably the arrow stuff could/would happen regardless of DIO, since he wasn't responsible for making them or anything

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DIO is responsible for Mr. Nijimura becoming a blob-monster, which led to Keicho obtaining a bow and arrow (I think from Enyaba?) and standifying many people in the pursuit of someone who could kill Mr. Nijimura, so the first half's pretty much indirectly DIO's fault. The second half, not as much I don't think unless Old Man Kira was inspired by DIO somehow to get his own arrow.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Wasn't DIO responsible for Josuke getting Crazy Diamond? Since he got his stand along with the rest of the joestars.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Dio's presence in Part 4 is very incidental, but I'd almost say that strengthens the case being made. Dio's thoughtless, selfish actions have resulted in problems for people he's never even met in a country he's never been to years after Dio himself is dead and gone. Kira might've always been a little bit messed up, but it was Dio selling his dad the arrow that allowed him to become truly terrible and untouchable. That Kira shares no personal connection with Dio is immaterial; without Dio, Kira would've killed a handful of people at best before likely being caught and sent away to prison.

One of the reasons Dio remains my favorite villain is because of how his presence permeates the world of the story. Even when he's holed up in Egypt, it feels like he's everywhere. Our heroes can take two steps without running into somebody on the payroll, some of whom would rather kill themselves than disappoint their master. He's a corrupting, corrosive influence who poisons everything he touches, and the fact that his return to the surface was facilitated by Jonathan's body is both insulting and depraved. Coming into Part 3 fresh off of Part 1 (and 2), knowing the depth of Dio's evil and the grace of Jonathan's goodness, it's almost unholy to think Dio used Jonathan to survive all those years. Dio is all but literally the devil, and he must be stopped at any cost.

Consequently, this is also why I think Part 3 still works despite Dio being off-screen for the majority of it. He doesn't need to be physical present because his spiritual presence is crushing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaosArgate posted:

DIO is responsible for Mr. Nijimura becoming a blob-monster, which led to Keicho obtaining a bow and arrow (I think from Enyaba?) and standifying many people in the pursuit of someone who could kill Mr. Nijimura, so the first half's pretty much indirectly DIO's fault. The second half, not as much I don't think unless Old Man Kira was inspired by DIO somehow to get his own arrow.

There are Six known arrows all of which were acquired by Diavolo. Who sold all but one of them to Enya. One was used by Enya to awaken DIO (and by extension the Joestar Bloodline at the time) and a deal of his henchmen's stands. Another was Given to the Nijimura father by Enya. Enya also gave one to Kira Sr. Polneraff acquired one of DIO's at some point. And Diavolo gave his Arrow to Polpo to create stand users out of recruits. 6th one is an unkown other then the fact that Enya owned it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bad Seafood posted:

Consequently, this is also why I think Part 3 still works despite Dio being off-screen for the majority of it. He doesn't need to be physical present because his spiritual presence is crushing.

Literally so, for poor Holly.

You know it never really hit me until now, Dio swapping out all those heads on animals, and he ended up using that practice to put his vampire head on Jonathan's human body.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dio's influence on Part 5 is pretty tenuous as well, Diavolo just sells some arrows to Enya and he sired Giorno, but other than that he's pretty uninvolved there too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baal posted:

Dio's influence on Part 5 is pretty tenuous as well, Diavolo just sells some arrows to Enya and he sired Giorno, but other than that he's pretty uninvolved there too.

Is being Giorno's dad not good enough for you?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

We all know the important part of Part 5 is Bruno, though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Imagine Enya not having Dio to give the arrows to, in the search of the chosen masters she finally finds someone that invokes the suit of The World, Yoshikage Kira

or Diavolo i dunno

Edit: Also the whole thing is a sitcom because Kira refuses to do anything and his dad keeps hitting on Enya

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Having a hard time imagining Enya being particularly interested in Kira Yoshikahe, a man with neither aspiration nor vision.

Diavolo, maybe.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Part 2 has the weakest connection to Dio, though. Everything else is hugely influenced by Dio's actions, until the reboot.

I'd say that Dio's influence on Joseph's nuclear family contributed massively to Part 2.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Is being Giorno's dad not good enough for you?

Considering he did not influence Giorno or anyone in Part 5 at all, no

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Baal posted:

I kept waiting for Giorno's heritage to mean anything but all he did was WRYYYY once or twice and that was it. It's like there was going to be a point to the revelation and then Araki realized that Bruno was more interesting and ran with him instead.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was a good choice too because Bruno rocked the loving house

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

Giorno's intended to be dio-esque in terms of his charisma but with focus on being not an rear end in a top hat I thought, it's just that the bad translation misses out on making him come off as charismatic and stuff

then again I don't think all of the parts are ever influenced by dio, they just have things connecting them back to dio in some way with the exception of part 8

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes Kite, I know about the Giorno and Dio stuff already

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

Yes Kite, I know about the Giorno and Dio stuff already

Then dont say silly stuff like that baal

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, I think I'll say whatever I want

Part 1 is... Very good when you watch the anime dubbed and it gets worse the further you go back in time

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Frankly I just didn't find Giorno's version of compelling charisma to be very interesting on its own let alone compared to what it meant when Dio had people under his sway.

e: and none of that changes that Bruno's the interesting thing in part 5.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Bruno and narancia and mista are cool

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i look forward to rereading arc 5 when the retranslation is done. not because i think it'll magically make it the best arc out of them all, but i'm sure it'll at least be a more enjoyable read.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

Bruno and narancia and mista are cool

I agree

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i look forward to rereading arc 5 when the retranslation is done. not because i think it'll magically make it the best arc out of them all, but i'm sure it'll at least be a more enjoyable read.

i'll just watch the anime instead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wannabeeeeeeeee readin' part 5 with a good translation.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
How far along is the part 5 retranslation?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
They're still in the train

Incidentally it's one of the best arcs of part 5 so I'm a little annoyed that the pace seems to have slowed down a bit

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I never really liked the team dynamic in part 5 since for a large part of it you have two people preparing to betray them all anyway, so it feels like a charade. Also I hate Mista.

By the end I did start to like them, but then they had to go and kill Narancia, the one I actually started to like as a character. Araki always kills off the guys I like most.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Momomo posted:

Araki always kills off the guys I like most.

Yep. I like it that I'm at a point where I just deliberately try not to like characters too much now cuz they're just gonna die. I wonder what made him ultimately decide to keep Okuyasu, honestly. Must have been in a really, really good mood that day.

Narancia's death is one that actually kind of pisses me off more than most but I legit don't know if it's translation or if it really is just a "whoopsie daisy, they're dead, anyway," type deal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hot Pants' death is the worst because it's just unceremonious.
She just dies in a single double spread and is never brought up again, other than her Cream Starter. She deserved a bit more attention even if she's not Diego levels of importance.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a death that just happens and it's absolutely stupid and bullshit. That entire ending sequence is a clusterfuck of bullshit that is not justified by better dialogue. Like the second they enter the Coliseum Part 5 becomes a loving mess.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
at least giorno escaped the joestar family curse on a technicality :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

vento aureo's ending sequence really leaves a lot to be desired

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Silver Chariot Requiem is so loving cool and the chapter that ends with him slowly walking towards the coliseum exit is one of the greatest ends to a chapter ever and it hyped me up so ficking much and then became one of the messiest stands in the loving series and made me cry.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There is a fuckton of poo poo happening all at once and a lot of it is so underdeveloped that it just becomes even more confusing. I did like the way they "beat" silver chariot requiem though, though I had to reread it to figure out what happened. It was neat realizing that it was just a shadow cast by some light that exists behind everybody's head or however that worked out

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

remember when aliens or something started coming out of people except wait no they aren't like a page or two later and no one brings this up ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A stand is a representation of a person's soul, and a requiem stand allows a person to manipulate another person's soul, or that's how I remember it being explained, so silver chariot requiem has the ability to move other peoples' souls from one body to another, but for some reason this causes non-stand users to start producing demons from another dimension, and the stand users have stronger stands while their bodies are swapped, and mista doesnt have good hygiene