Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

HnK416 posted:

You know what's going to be awesome? When the GECK comes out and modders can loving slim down the comically oversized guns.

Yea, that'll be great :allears:

I want bigger guns that don't look like toys in my giant power-armored hands :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

strong bird posted:

bethesda launches half finished games and people lap it up for a decade after they get thousands of man hours of free development in mods (they will in fact be profiting off of these free man hours) so why should they change anything theyre doing

I'm waiting for the mods that will making having a bunch of settlements somewhat meaningful.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

nosl posted:

Please don't compare Morrowind to this game. Stop it.

Bethesda's problem is every game they've made has been slight iterations on Morrowind's gameplay with shittier writing.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Icedude posted:

I want bigger guns that don't look like toys in my giant power-armored hands :colbert:

Valid, but there's no reason for the Assault Rifle to literally be a Lewis Gun. It shouldn't be anywhere near that bulky.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is the super sledge anything like this?

https://youtu.be/OOVbxWl_37Y

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MY ABACUS! posted:

But the type of power armor you find does scale with level, right?

Only the top-flight X-01 power armor, it starts spawning at level 29 or so. You can get T-60 pretty early on from the Brotherhood.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Quick question: I've seen it mentioned that you can get the Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for free, legally, but I haven't been able to find it. I was wondering if it's true and, if so, if someone could point me in the right direction, because so far I've had little luck. I have played both 1 and 2 but I haven't beaten them--thought I might change that.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Is the super sledge anything like this?

https://youtu.be/OOVbxWl_37Y

Pretty much that exactly

It's WAY TOO SMALL when you're using it with power armor, though, like every melee weapon.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HnK416 posted:

Valid, but there's no reason for the Assault Rifle to literally be a Lewis Gun. It shouldn't be anywhere near that bulky.
It was also named "Machine Gun" in the resource files, so it was originally one of those before they cut out the chinese assault rifle (which has a model in this game) for some reason.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2455/

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Quick question: I've seen it mentioned that you can get the Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for free, legally, but I haven't been able to find it. I was wondering if it's true and, if so, if someone could point me in the right direction, because so far I've had little luck. I have played both 1 and 2 but I haven't beaten them--thought I might change that.

I got them for free from https://www.gog.com but I don't know if that was a limited-time offer

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Pellisworth posted:

Bethesda's problem is every game they've made has been slight iterations on Morrowind's gameplay with shittier writing.

I agree, but Morrowind was a high-fantasy open-world RPG released in 2002, their first game with 3d, and this is a post-apocalyptic open-world RPG/shooter hybrid released in 2015. Everything that made Morrowind good wasn't present in Oblivion, let alone Fallout 3 or Skyrim. Why would you expect this game to suddenly break that cycle? Nobody nowadays wants to play games like Morrowind (you know, a good solid RPG with poo poo combat) because nobody wants to put in effort to start killing poo poo, to feel like a badass, etc. They want it to be enemy -> shoot -> loot -> "level up" worthless stats that are all maxed out by the end of a game -> repeat. If Bethesda want to survive in today's market, where more than just nerds play videogames, and thrive in this market, where more than just nerds play videogames, they cannot go back to what made Morrowind great and go from there. It just doesn't make any sense from a financial point of view, and especially now that there are other factors (voice acting is a huge one), they cannot create giant sprawling stories in a giant open world. They must stick to their resources, and their resources are limited because of what today's modern audience wants out of a video game. Is that stupid? Yes. Can we change it? No. Is this reason a justifiable reason to release a poo poo game? No, if you ignore money. However, I'm going to go on a limb here and assume that if you were in Bethsoft's shoes, you wouldn't turn down millions of day 1 sales for a second cult game. It doesn't make financial sense.

Am I defending this? No. As a lifelong TES fan and a fan of Fallout since Fallout 3 (went back and Played F2, loved it, still haven't touched F1 or Tactics), I can honestly say that Bethesda are not only ruining their own franchise, but another franchise they bought (Fallout). This saddens me, and is particularly unfair to decade-long Fallout fans, seeing as they're making a bastardization of their Morrowind formula, with guns (Oblivion with gunz!!!) and no stats that matter, and a list of CoD-like perks, but I can't really do anything about it. They will continue to release whatever nets them the most money. If they could've released My Little Pony: RPG Adventuring is Magic in 2002, and got half as many sales as Skyrim got, let alone Fallout 4, they would've done it.

At the end of the day, they are a business. The only thing that matters to a business is the bottom line. Period.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It was also named "Machine Gun" in the resource files, so it was originally one of those before they cut out the chinese assault rifle (which has a model in this game) for some reason.

The GECK cannot come soon enough. What the hell, Bethesda, why do you hate having weapon variety :(

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Filthy Hans posted:

I got them for free from https://www.gog.com but I don't know if that was a limited-time offer

Pretty sure it was. It seems to me like most people saying they're up for free may be thinking of that, but that's just me making assumptions.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Hayters gonna HAYEEEEETTT!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

For all the poo poo they put in this game it's a little light on ballistic weapons variety.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

FutonForensic posted:

Pretty much that exactly

It's WAY TOO SMALL when you're using it with power armor, though, like every melee weapon.

Yeah we need after market weapon packs asap

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

MarshyMcFly posted:

Hayters gonna HAYEEEEETTT!!!!

Well, he actually made a fair point. In around a month you will probably be bored of this game and move on to something else. Unless you're on PC, then you'll probably make the mistake of rationalizing that Bethesda made Fallout 4 with all the mods that have yet to be released in mind. It worked long-term in 2002, it doesn't work long-term in 2015.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
1/2/Tactics were free, but that was 2014 when GOG was losing its license on them. They might be now if you buy Daggerfall and the deal works both ways, but I doubt that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think a single player game that takes a month to get bored of is a pretty good deal.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I think a single player game that takes a month to get bored of is a pretty good deal.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

nosl posted:

Well, he actually made a fair point. In around a month you will probably be bored of this game and move on to something else. Unless you're on PC, then you'll probably make the mistake of rationalizing that Bethesda made Fallout 4 with all the mods that have yet to be released in mind. It worked long-term in 2002, it doesn't work long-term in 2015.

You don't know me dude, and he doesn't make a good point, he just made a HUGE over-generalization basically saying something like: fallout games are basically just fallout games with the same fallout stuff in them, with "shittier" writing.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

GuyUpNorth posted:

1/2/Tactics were free, but that was 2014 when GOG was losing its license on them. They might be now if you buy Daggerfall and the deal works both ways, but I doubt that.

Can we mod it so that it's 2014 again?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You know what would be a good system for loot? Have other people do it for you. You clear out a "dungeon" of enemies and then your nearest base comes in and clears the place out and it all gets scrapped or stored in your pool. Have little brahmin trains of your settlers ferrying back sacks full of desk fans of cans.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

nosl posted:

I'm not exactly sure I'm seeing your point here.
Like, a game lasting a month is pretty good value, I'd say. I finished Morrowind in less than a week back when I first played it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

nosl posted:

Am I defending this? No. As a lifelong TES fan and a fan of Fallout since Fallout 3 (went back and Played F2, loved it, still haven't touched F1 or Tactics), I can honestly say that Bethesda are not only ruining their own franchise, but another franchise they bought (Fallout). This saddens me, and is particularly unfair to decade-long Fallout fans, seeing as they're making a bastardization of their Morrowind formula, with guns (Oblivion with gunz!!!) and no stats that matter, and a list of CoD-like perks, but I can't really do anything about it. They will continue to release whatever nets them the most money. If they could've released My Little Pony: RPG Adventuring is Magic in 2002, and got half as many sales as Skyrim got, let alone Fallout 4, they would've done it.

At the end of the day, they are a business. The only thing that matters to a business is the bottom line. Period.

Jesus christ I would expect this from NMA. They're ruining their franchises by...making good successful games? what?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MarshyMcFly posted:

You don't know me dude, and he doesn't make a good point, he just made a HUGE over-generalization basically saying something like: fallout games are basically just fallout games with the same fallout stuff in them, with "shittier" writing.

What I said was

1) Bethesda gameplay has been iterations on Morrowind (its first release)
2) the writing has gotten successively shittier.

I'm certainly willing to concede my second point is one of opinion and very much a generalization. But I think many gamers who are grognard role-playing types or simply value good characterization and plot think Morrowind and F:NV were pretty great but the successive Bethesda titles have been fairly poo poo.

That doesn't mean they are bad games. I like them, and think Fallout 4 is a good game. Bethesda is very formulaic and if you like exploration and dungeon-diving as I do then they're all great. But I would submit none of them differ significantly in gameplay from Morrowind.

Edit: I'm going to get a couple hundred hours out of Fallout 4, most likely, it's a good game. I'm just a little disappointed how bog-standard Bethesda this is.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 28, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MY ABACUS! posted:

But the type of power armor you find does scale with level, right?
Yes. Quality of power armor is linked to your level - it's almost impossible to find some T61 armor at low level, but after level 28 it's not hard.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I loved morrowind and it almost singlehandedly created this whole genre of open world RPGs but it was actually kind of a terrible game and absurdly buggy with terrible combat mechanics and a super bland chosen one story that we all put up with and loved in 2002 because nothing else was doing even 5% as much openness in exploration and "physics" and modding (modding was so novel they had to write it into the story too, like how mario 64 felt the need to explain the camera in world).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I loved morrowind and it almost singlehandedly created this whole genre of open world RPGs but it was actually kind of a terrible game and absurdly buggy with terrible combat mechanics and a super bland chosen one story that we all put up with and loved in 2002 because nothing else was doing even 5% as much openness in exploration and "physics" and modding (modding was so novel they had to write it into the story too, like how mario 64 felt the need to explain the camera in world).

Yes, and the gameplay has generally gotten much better. Fallout 4 has the best of anything they've done, imo.

It's just not really any different.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

nosl posted:

What the hell kind of ridiculous standard is this? If you think a month's worth of playtime is a low amount for a game then I think you're out of your mind.

VVV The original developer crashed and burned due to a bunch of bad business decisions unrelated to Fallout. The IP was pretty much dead before Bethesda bought it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 28, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also just out of curiosity, if the classic Fallouts were such good games that everyone loved why the hell did the original developers sell the IP to Bethesda in the first place?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

frajaq posted:

Also just out of curiosity, if the classic Fallouts were such good games that everyone loved why the hell did the original developers sell the IP to Bethesda in the first place?

For what it's worth I have played exactly zero Fallout 1/2, my opinions on Bethesda are not in reference to the classic titles

Edit: which is to say, I have no idea!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

frajaq posted:

Because the original devs crashed and burned financially.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Yes, and the gameplay has generally gotten much better. Fallout 4 has the best of anything they've done, imo.

It's just not really any different.

An open-world rpg made by Bethesda in 2002 is functionally similar to an open-world rpg made by Bethesda in 2015. Shocker?

Edit: I am willing to bet you that 10 years from now Call of Duty Shootmans 2026 is going to basically be the same as Black Ops 3 is on the fundamental level.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 28, 2015

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I will ardently defend The Product.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I love The Product.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

An open-world rpg made by Bethesda in 2002 is functionally similar to an open-world rpg made by Bethesda in 2015. Shocker?

Nope, just a criticism.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

frajaq posted:

I found Fallout on a shelf in Fred Meyer's' Bargain Basement section for 5 dollars in 1997 or 1998. I'd never heard of it and only bought it because it was set in the actual town I was going to college in (Klamath Falls). I was a loving hardcore gamer who played Tribes and Counterstrike pretty much 24/7 and had the absolute highest-speed connection available that I could imagine without high level security clearance at a big company or military insitutition.

Nobody else I knew had ever heard of it either.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

frajaq posted:

If something generates a large amount of profit it is good. If it generates a small amount of profit it is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Yes. Quality of power armor is linked to your level - it's almost impossible to find some T61 armor at low level, but after level 28 it's not hard.

He is asking if the quality of armor SCALES with your level, which it doesn't, there is no scaling based on level except HP in this game. At higher levels, yes you FIND better quality armor but the armor that you found at lower levels doesn't magically become better later in the game based on your current level.

• Locked thread