Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Lessail posted:

no we'll talk about how this proves pp is an unsafe place and more regulations are needed to make them safe or they should be shut down

This is a mental health problem, so say people like Mike Huckabee who have been really flippant about mental health in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I wasn't actually referring to American media or even the American people, but rather progressives and leftists. The focus is always on gun control, where even if the left got everything it could possibly want there, the effect would be rather limited since you'd still have a country full of pissed-off racists and bigots, just now they'd have a harder time getting a gun.

You don't see much talk - anywhere - about restricting speech on public airwaves so that media organizations can't incite violence by appealing to most of the worst parts of human nature. Is that an even less realistic goal than gun control?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kilroy posted:

You don't see much talk - anywhere - about restricting speech on public airwaves so that media organizations can't incite violence by appealing to most of the worst parts of human nature. Is that an even less realistic goal than gun control?

They're about the same

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

LiterallyTheWurst posted:

Sorry to jump in on this conversation late, but I give IQ tests for a living. This test blows. It relies too heavily on the person's knowledge of math concepts and English. There are parts that aren't bad, but it honestly pisses me off that people are trying to make major decisions using this stuff. There are a lot of people with large discrepancies in their general abilities of intelligence (fluid reasoning, short term memory, etc.), that can rock deductive reasoning and come out in the low average range of a test because of memory issues, poor visual processing, etc. There have been major strides in reducing cultural bias since the tests of the 1990s, and this one is not reflective of that at all.
Also, about 2/3 rds of people will score between 85 and 115. That's the average range, though kids at the bottom and top of the range will have very different grades and achievement in their careers. Anything higher than that and a person is considered intelligent.

To make you feel better no one cares about the Wonderlic test except really old white football fans that are obsessed with "playing the right way."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

I wasn't actually referring to American media or even the American people, but rather progressives and leftists. The focus is always on gun control, where even if the left got everything it could possibly want there, the effect would be rather limited since you'd still have a country full of pissed-off racists and bigots, just now they'd have a harder time getting a gun.

Yes, why exactly are leftists not attacking the first admendment? A curious question......

Also remember we're living in a context where CNN mentions the fake PP video in their article about the shooting before mentioning the other threats and attacks against abortion providers this year.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes, why exactly are leftists not attacking the first admendment? A curious question......
Well I mean if you're going to bring up the first amendment with regard to television and radio, then you may as well start with a complaint that the government auctions off the radio spectrum in the first place (and limits who can put wires where), and how to expect the technology to even work at all if they stop doing that. National media have a government-enforced monopoly - nothing wrong if that comes with strings attached.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Kilroy posted:

Is there any chance that the response to this will be more along the lines of "we should stop allowing talk radio and Rupert Murdoch to fill American airwaves with hate speech" instead of the usual "time to talk about gun control for a month and then stop"?

Kilroy posted:

Hey guys! Maybe if we censor their speech, it'll make their ideas die. This plan always works out!

No. The left won't have this conversation. Because-outside of a very small segment of college students-nobody actually wants to ban speech. The reason nobody is talking about restricting speech on public airwaves is that even those, like me, who loathe the O'Keefe, Murdoch and Chuck Johnson will be the first ones to grab the pitchforks and torches if this starts to gain momentum in congress.

You want to push Twitter to pull the accounts of folks like floorshitter? I'm with you. You want to boycott anyone who advertises on Hannity? Go for it. You want to protest outside Hobby Lobby with the graphic crime scene photos from this event? I might think it's a tenuous connection, but go ahead. Exercise your rights.

How do you think restricting the content of politically unpopular speech will work whenever the GOP does manage to take back the White House and have control in congress?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Well I mean if you're going to bring up the first amendment with regard to television and radio, then you may as well start with a complaint that the government auctions off the radio spectrum in the first place (and limits who can put wires where), and how to expect the technology to even work at all if they stop doing that. National media have a government-enforced monopoly - nothing wrong if that comes with strings attached.

The government can't make a law banned a political ideology it hates, or opinions it disagrees with from the public airwaves without violating the 1sr admendment. Hth

Also, I think you're really confusing the term monopoly, because as popular as Rush is, he doesn't have one.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

So, Hillary is the only presidential candidate who's seem to have said (Tweeted) anything about the PP shooting. Is the silence from others normal or is it odd nobody else has commented yet?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

fknlo posted:

Seems like #alllivesmatter is actually making a difference since this armed white guy was taken alive after murdering a cop and two other people.

:drat:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

The government can't make a law banned a political ideology it hates, or opinions it disagrees with from the public airwaves without violating the 1sr admendment. Hth

Also, I think you're really confusing the term monopoly, because as popular as Rush is, he doesn't have one.
Okay so how about you start broadcasting a talk radio show on the same frequency as Limbaugh's show, and see how long you can keep that up.

I'm not talking about e.g. Twitter, or probably even cable news actually. It think there is a government-enforced monopoly on cable, but it's not at a national level, anyway.

I'm speaking specifically about broadcast television and radio, where the government says "okay you can broadcast at this frequency and no one else can." You're saying that that doesn't violate the first amendment, but that doing that and laying out restrictions about what you're allowed to broadcast does? I don't see it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Well, he's white, so he's a lone wolf or someone with a mental illness.

At what point does extreme right wing conservatism become a mental illness instead of a political ideology.

There was a paper awhile back that compared Right Wing beliefs to mental illness. I'm not very comfortable with that for a lot of reasons, for example how the Soviets would declare a lot of dissidents mentally ill, to how long it takes for these people to start calling Liberalism a mental disorder. Not that it matters cause the conservative ex-cop Trump supporter I know is reading some book about how Liberalism is a mental disorder so he can "Understand us." He also thinks that because us liberals are so wide spread violence is going to be unavoidable to keep America America

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

Kilroy posted:

Okay so how about you start broadcasting a talk radio show on the same frequency as Limbaugh's show, and see how long you can keep that up.

I'm not talking about e.g. Twitter, or probably even cable news actually. It think there is a government-enforced monopoly on cable, but it's not at a national level, anyway.

I'm speaking specifically about broadcast television and radio, where the government says "okay you can broadcast at this frequency and no one else can." You're saying that that doesn't violate the first amendment, but that doing that and laying out restrictions about what you're allowed to broadcast does? I don't see it.

Afaik, that law exists to prevent public airwaves becoming am unusable clusterfuck. Anyone can get licensed to broadcast on an unused band, but it takes a certain amount of capital. They don't discriminate by message (generally)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Lol you don't understand radio very well. Just because there are licensed stations that broadcast Rush, it didn't prevent anyone from making liberal talk radio. they did, it sucked and no, I don't mean NPR.

Having a transmission licenses for a frequency in a specific geographic area (+AM clear channels) is not a media monopoly. Even if this was the 1950s it would be a tetraarchy or something.

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

Boon posted:

What's a good test system?

The Wechsler series of tests are considered the gold standard for most people. Some say the woodcock-johnson is the best one, but I hate it. The best thing about that one is that you get to say woodcock-johnson a lot. I work with kids, and I love the KABC-II. It doesn't take many changes to test a kid who is nonverbal or an English language learner, so it is excellent for just about every kid out there. In these tests, you can assess short-term memory, working memory, processing speed, long-term storage and retrieval, knowledge, visual processing, fluid-reasoning, and some others. Don't get me wrong, IQ is an important number to have, but I'd much prefer to have a picture of someone's general abilities.

For any of these tests, you have to be qualified to administer them. You can't even buy them if you don't have the right credentials. I think the other test (the one used by cops and football teams) is used because the requirements for interpretation and administration are lower.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

KomradeX posted:

There was a paper awhile back that compared Right Wing beliefs to mental illness. I'm not very comfortable with that for a lot of reasons, for example how the Soviets would declare a lot of dissidents mentally ill, to how long it takes for these people to start calling Liberalism a mental disorder. Not that it matters cause the conservative ex-cop Trump supporter I know is reading some book about how Liberalism is a mental disorder so he can "Understand us." He also thinks that because us liberals are so wide spread violence is going to be unavoidable to keep America America

Using the shakiest possible interpretations of studies to show how the enemy is scientifically inferior is definitely a thing. Much like that study about how people who actively listen to radio news are pretty well-informed about current events while people who leave a news channel on TV when they're not really watching know next to nothing got spun as "FOX viewers are dumb, NPR viewers are geniuses!" never mind that it was equally true if the radio listener was on right-wing talk shows and the TV viewer was MSNBC or BBC or whatever.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

Who gets to profit off the physical cable infrastructure in a given town has little to do with who gets to speak on a cable channel, all of which that aren't highly regional in nature are carried by hundreds of separate cable systems and usually one if not both satellite systems.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol you don't understand radio very well. Just because there are licensed stations that broadcast Rush, it didn't prevent anyone from making liberal talk radio. they did, it sucked and no, I don't mean NPR.

Having a transmission licenses for a frequency in a specific geographic area (+AM clear channels) is not a media monopoly. Even if this was the 1950s it would be a tetraarchy or something.
Uh, sure it prevented people from making liberal talk radio. It didn't prevent liberal talk radio from being made by someone, but certainly there was someone who wanted to start a liberal radio station but could not do it because he couldn't secure a license to broadcast.

It's not like the Internet, or newspaper, where anyone can post on Twitter or make a Twitter clone, or get a printing press and pass out whatever idiotic nonsense he pleases. The nature of broadcast media is that the number of participants has to be very limited due to how the technology works, and if the government took the same approach to TV and radio that is does with other media, TV and radio wouldn't really work. So as I said, you try broadcasting on the same frequency as Rush Limbaugh, and see how far you get with that, and then tell me why forbidding you from making a talk radio show at all, isn't a violation of the first amendment, but restricting what people with a show say is.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kilroy posted:

Oh shut the hell up this is basic First Amendment and broadcast jurisprudence and your lack of knowledge is appalling. Look up "viewpoint-based discrimination" in the context of the First Amendment. That's why restrictions on what you're allowed to broadcast are very suspect. The ban on broadcast of obscenity is borderline as hell to start with, and only possible because its arguably content-based, not viewpoint-based, and bans on broadcasting over someone else are content neutral and thus prima facie permissible.

And there's no government monopoly on cable systems, national or local.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

Who gets to profit off the physical cable infrastructure in a given town has little to do with who gets to speak on a cable channel, all of which that aren't highly regional in nature are carried by hundreds of separate cable systems and usually one if not both satellite systems.
Yeah cable is sort of a different thing, in that the monopoly there doesn't exist due to the nature of the technology but rather just regular corruption.

That's why I explicitly excluded it in my post.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yo Kilroy as a guy so frothing liberal I was sympathizing with Noam Chomsky (the poster, not the scientist) in the thread yesterday, holy poo poo you do not know what you're talking about.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

Uh, sure it prevented people from making liberal talk radio. It didn't prevent liberal talk radio from being made by someone, but certainly there was someone who wanted to start a liberal radio station but could not do it because he couldn't secure a license to broadcast.

It's not like the Internet, or newspaper, where anyone can post on Twitter or make a Twitter clone, or get a printing press and pass out whatever idiotic nonsense he pleases. The nature of broadcast media is that the number of participants has to be very limited due to how the technology works, and if the government took the same approach to TV and radio that is does with other media, TV and radio wouldn't really work. So as I said, you try broadcasting on the same frequency as Rush Limbaugh, and see how far you get with that, and then tell me why forbidding you from making a talk radio show at all, isn't a violation of the first amendment, but restricting what people with a show say is.

Radio licenses aren't required for getting liberal talk radio going, you just need to afford studios and syndication/feed equipment.

The trouble you need to have interesting host or two who can actually work the radio crowd. There are plenty of radio stations out there who would happily carry so long as you paid them more than the pittance the radio infomercial people pay.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Okay so "for some reason" restricting who can do broadcast media in the first place is not a violation of the first amendment. But, restricting what people who the government allows to do broadcast media, can do with broadcast media, is a first amendment violation. And holy poo poo I don't know what I'm talking about because that seems a bit of an absurd contradiction to me.

I guess I'll just never know, then. I did not mean for this to turn into a thing so I'll go back to lurking. Thanks fellas.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 28, 2015

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Ali Dukakis reports that her grandfather's upstairs freezer, basement freezer, and neighbors' freezer are now all full of turkey carcasses.

Walter Mondale's freezers are all full of fish that his son catches in Alaska during the summer. He catches so much that his friends' freezers get filled as well.

Maybe it's just a thing for failed democratic presidential candidates. :shrug:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Walter Mondale's freezers are all full of fish that his son catches in Alaska during the summer. He catches so much that his friends' freezers get filled as well.

Maybe it's just a thing for all rich liberal grandpas idk

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Okay so "for some reason" restricting who can do broadcast media in the first place is not a violation of the first amendment. But, restricting what people who the government allows to do broadcast media, can do with broadcast media, is a first amendment violation. And holy poo poo I don't know what I'm talking about because that seems a bit of an absurd contradiction to me.

I guess I'll just never know, then. I did not mean for this to turn into a thing so I'll go back to lurking. Thanks fellas.

If you wanted to learn, I would suggest reading the posts in reply to you. Several people took the time to explain the differences between licensing radio stations and banning Rush. It isn't "for some reason" but because they are vastly different things. Fining someone who tries to jam NPR isn't the same as banning ideological speech you dislike.

In unrelated news, looks like the ban on soft money will get overturned: http://electionlawblog.org/?p=77857

Post CU is that good or bad? I don't know anymore.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

It serves a legitimate public interest to restrict who can broadcast using the least restrictive means available. If anyone could broadcast the airwaves would be useless.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Salvor_Hardin posted:

To be honest, I'd rather not know what's in John Kerry's freezers.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Fining someone who tries to jam NPR isn't the same as banning ideological speech you dislike.
I actually never said we should ban ideological speech I dislike, and I don't think we should. I specifically mentioned hate speech and speech that incites violence. I mentioned Rupert Murdoch and talk radio, but it's not my fault if most hate speech is coming from right-wing sources instead of left-wing or centrist ones.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

Flip flops, hundreds of pairs.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lotka Volterra posted:

Flip flops, hundreds of pairs.

But whose?!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Kilroy posted:

I personally believe that 'free speech' is something important to the survival of the republic and a healthy society in general, and that broadening the definition of hate speech & prosecuting it more aggressively would cost us far more than it would gain. That was a pretty common attitude among american progressives, I thought, but it doesn't seem to be any more.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kilroy posted:

you'd still have a country full of pissed-off racists and bigots, just now they'd have a harder time getting a gun.

Seems like this would be a good policy outcome.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Joementum posted:

I'd read grocery store magazines about it

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Tangentially, here's an interesting article that I ran into a few weeks ago: How Democrats Suppress The Vote.

quote:

In the ongoing fight between Democrats and Republicans over election procedures like voter ID and early voting, the Democrats are supposedly the champions of higher turnout and reducing barriers to participation. But when it comes to scheduling off-cycle elections like those taking place today [Nov. 3rd], the Democratic Party is the champion of voter suppression...

Proponents of the off-cycle strategy argue that local issues get drowned out when local elections are held concurrent with presidential or congressional elections. People who show up to vote in those big elections may not be equipped to weigh in on the local issues. Anzia quotes a Texas school official who defends off-cycle elections because they bring out “an educated voter … people who really care about the issues and who are passionate about their district.” In off-cycle elections, proponents claim, the electorate is a concentrated set of voters who are engaged in the local issues, which yields better results for the community.

For readers who are sympathetic to the perspective of the off-cycle election proponents (typically Democrats), it is worth noting that these are very much the same arguments that Republicans might make in favor of voting restrictions that make voting a little bit harder for the average American. Just like voter ID or voter-registration requirements, off-cycle elections impose a cost on political participation. The cost is evidently high, since very few people participate in local elections when they are held in odd-numbered years. Maybe the cost leads to a more enlightened electorate. Or maybe it is Democratic-sponsored voter suppression...

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

PleasingFungus posted:

I personally believe that 'free speech' is something important to the survival of the republic and a healthy society in general, and that broadening the definition of hate speech & prosecuting it more aggressively would cost us far more than it would gain.
I mostly agree, but I see a fundamental difference between some nut handing out pamphlets on a college campus or posting poo poo on Twitter or whatever, where I think we should aggressively protect all speech including hate speech, and broadcast media where the number of people who can have their speech heard in the first place is very limited due to the nature of the technology and the (necessary) government-granted monopolies.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

I actually never said we should ban ideological speech I dislike, and I don't think we should. I specifically mentioned hate speech and speech that incites violence. I mentioned Rupert Murdoch and talk radio, but it's not my fault if most hate speech is coming from right-wing sources instead of left-wing or centrist ones.

How do you define hate speech?

Also, inciting to violence generally isn't protected speech already. I think you might just have a much wider view than the law. I'm not sure if I can imagine effective ways to further weaken speech protection for "bad speech" without hurting protections for speech critical to public discourse.

What kinds of speech, specifically (just saying "hate speech" is not specific), should we ban from public media in your opinion?

Kilroy posted:

I mostly agree, but I see a fundamental difference between some nut handing out pamphlets on a college campus or posting poo poo on Twitter or whatever, where I think we should aggressively protect all speech including hate speech, and broadcast media where the number of people who can have their speech heard in the first place is very limited due to the nature of the technology and the (necessary) government-granted monopolies.

Do you think I have a government granted monopoly over the land under my house? My deed is arguably more of a monopoly than a broadcast license.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Looper posted:

I'd read grocery store magazines about it

They are called clips.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Joementum posted:

Seems like this would be a good policy outcome.
I guess it could be, but if the cost were that other progressive goals had to be put on hold for two or three decades while the electorate works through the temper tantrum of not being able to own guns, I don't think it would be worth it. And at any rate, it would be preferable to have a nation that wasn't full of racists and bigots.

Trabisnikof posted:

What kinds of speech, specifically (just saying "hate speech" is not specific), should we ban from public media in your opinion?
Let's start with calling abortion doctors, murderers. It's topical.

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you think I have a government granted monopoly over the land under my house? My deed is arguably more of a monopoly than a broadcast license.
Do you think that zoning restrictions are unconstitutional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I was going to apply to be a guard at PP here this spring :mrwhite: Nevermind then...

• Locked thread