Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What kind of processing do you do for the eyes? This shot has some great colors, and anybody that can hit that kind of depth of field on a moving kid is always impressive

Lightroom has a preset Iris Enhancer brush that will get you that kind of punch in the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

evil_bunnY posted:

The first 3 are quite good. The thirds could really use more DoF, it's v shallow but it serves no purpose.

Agreed.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Did some family pictures for a friend. If there's anything about this portrait particularly heinous let me know. I just started portraits and I'm trying to move from amateur to intermediate.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Did some family pictures for a friend. If there's anything about this portrait particularly heinous let me know. I just started portraits and I'm trying to move from amateur to intermediate.

I don't know much about portrait photography... but the posing makes it look like that child has an arm growing out of his head.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

is that tree photoshopped in? :crossarms:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Mido posted:

is that tree photoshopped in? :crossarms:

:ssh: it looked way better than empty gray space and I didn't bring a lit decorated tree with me to the shoot. It made the client happy.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

elgarbo posted:

I don't know much about portrait photography... but the posing makes it look like that child has an arm growing out of his head.

Does it look like he has a woman growing out of his cheek, too?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Judge Schnoopy posted:

She's kissing the kid with her head tilted, from below, and with eyes apparently closed. Not only is that more romantic than playful, neither her face not her profile are visible and the part in her hair is featured largely which is not really desirable.

Not loving the unbalanced vertical crop, tight framing, or vignette either but those are more a matter of taste.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What kind of processing do you do for the eyes? This shot has some great colors, and anybody that can hit that kind of depth of field on a moving kid is always impressive

Thanks! I didn't do anything special on this photo for her eyes - I think it's mostly down to the light. It was a fall day, partly cloudy, and we were shooting in the shade with her facing out towards the sky, looking slightly up, so it was even light on her face but with interesting catch lights.

The focus was pretty fortunate. She was chasing me, because she was trying to put a leaf in my lens hood and it was cracking her up.

Sometimes I'll do an adjustment brush and usually boost the highlights, contrast maybe a little saturation and/or vibrance, and a touch of clarity if the eyes aren't as bright as I want. It's very easy to overdo, though.

Definitely agree on the too-shallow last photo. We were shooting straight on, and then she turned her head and I kept shooting it without adjusting. I liked her expression, but having only one eye in focus does bother me.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Had a play around with some blacklights the other day.

BlackLight by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dren posted:

She's kissing the kid with her head tilted, from below, and with eyes apparently closed. Not only is that more romantic than playful, neither her face not her profile are visible and the part in her hair is featured largely which is not really desirable.

Not loving the unbalanced vertical crop, tight framing, or vignette either but those are more a matter of taste.

Thanks for the feedback on this. You've convinced me that my main focus for now should be on studying posing. Any recommendations on a good book or website that gives more than "Don't make these 10 stupid posing mistakes"?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Thanks for the feedback on this. You've convinced me that my main focus for now should be on studying posing. Any recommendations on a good book or website that gives more than "Don't make these 10 stupid posing mistakes"?

peep the OP of this thread:

ConfusedUs posted:

Portrait photography is everywhere. Our lives usually revolve around other people, so it's no wonder that nearly everyone who picks up a camera will snap a photo of someone else.

And that person will probably hate the photo when they see it. It's a fact. At one time I had a newspaper clipping with statistics that claimed the vast majority of people hated to have their photo taken. A surprising number would rather visit the dentist than be a part of a family portrait.

We portrait photographers have our work cut out for us. Making other people look good isn't easy. Our subjects are fat, have skin problems, and probably don't even want to be here. Unlike still life photographers, we can't go shopping for that perfect apple, and unlike landscape photographers, we can't drive around the mountains until we find that perfect vista. We have to work with what we've got.

That's where this thread comes in. Portrait photographers, rejoice, for here is a repository of knowledge for you. This is a place where you can ask "how can I make this 300lb woman look good", and a place where your peers will give you pointers on how to improve.

Over my years as a portrait photographer, I've picked up a ton of tips and tricks on how to make portraits easier and look better. I'll be posting those as I finish writing them. I am working on posing right now, but feel free to suggest topics or to ask me anything about portrait photography at all.

Here's a few of my portraits just to kickstart things.

:siren:The Only Posing Guide You Will EVER Need:siren:
The clothing recommendations are a bit dated (the guy was in his prime in the 70s) but this guide is comprehensive, well-explained, and far, far, far better than anything I have been able to write so far.

Thanks to Kazy for re-hosting the guide, it went down at some point and I didnt' know!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Goat Life by Nayrlee, on Flickr

It was a great participant. :3:

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Ares b&w by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Ares by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Ares by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 7, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

I'm really not good at portraits ad posing is really hard for me to direct. Can anyone point me to any good resources that may help me out with my style of photography? I tried looking last night but had a hard time finding anything I thought would work.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 2, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ox by alkanphel, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 7, 2015

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
Shot this wee lass in a boudoir shoot yesterday but took a few portrait style shots, was her first time modelling and I thought she did pretty well!

Aoife by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Bang3r posted:

Shot this wee lass in a boudoir shoot yesterday but took a few portrait style shots, was her first time modelling and I thought she did pretty well!

Aoife by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Her eyes are like...Frodo blue.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

Shellman posted:

Her eyes are like...Frodo blue.

Indeed! I only gave them a slight clarity boost as well.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Getting my Bergman on :sweden:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

short bus by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

portrait of my home-dogs

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sick

E: wish there was no building on the right though, would've been sicker.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

Sick

E: wish there was no building on the right though, would've been sicker.

:agreed:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Lonely Eater by alkanphel, on Flickr

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

These dudes stole the mask from an Anonymous protest about Child Protective Services(?) going on in Brisbane. The protest consisted of four people and a loudspeaker, one poor women was reading her speech off cards as it was muffled by the dumb mask. Just watching set off some kind of second hand social anxiety, I felt too bad for them to even take a picture.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Is this over processed / total dog poo poo or is it decent. help :(

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

nerdrum posted:

Is this over processed / total dog poo poo or is it decent. help :(

I like it. The crop feels awkward to me for some reason, but I dig it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Pukestain Pal posted:

I like it. The crop feels awkward to me for some reason, but I dig it.

I was going to say the same, the grid of thirds don't intersect anything important. It almost gives the feeling that the guy moved forward during / immediately before the shot.

Which isn't to say it's bad, it adds animosity which fairly fits the lighting and mood. Gives it a touch of uncomfortable over class.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Kind of hate the branch in the upper right...I can't unsee it, but I'm generally happy with this.

Sam and Sara by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pukestain Pal posted:

Kind of hate the branch in the upper right...I can't unsee it, but I'm generally happy with this.

Sam and Sara by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Is there a reason you can't do a square crop? I think it would look fine and kill the branch.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Rossi Gang Video by Ian Mrozewski

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It looks like everyones clapping for the guy taking a dump

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Fart Car '97 posted:

It looks like everyones clapping for the guy taking a dump

I shopped the dump out.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I assumed it was a highschool marching band twerk cypher

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Danke