Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I have four words for you.

I. Love. This. Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Negrostrike posted:

I. Love. This. Game.

:psyduck:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Negrostrike posted:

I. Love. This. Game.

It's a Bond Gate - You drive straight over the tarmac and jump from your moving car onto your plane. And, you know, hope the plane is pointed towards the right of the picture.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

I. Love. This. Game.

Please do

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I just don't quite

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

LonsomeSon posted:

I just don't quite

there is a lot going wrong with that picture

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I wish roundabouts were just a standard feature of the game, like maybe have them come in a few shapes and sizes prebuilt and ploppable on top of existing intersections. Traffic light intersections push players towards grids.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The OP is way out of date, yeah. If you want a good list here's one from a few weeks ago:

We may want a new OP at some point to keep mods more up to date.

I second this motion. Someone please create a new OP, the current thread creator seems to be AFK.

And that is a great list you quoted.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Negrostrike posted:

I. Love. This. Game.

FAA/EASA approved. :D

On the one hand, it's kind of neat that runways and taxiways are technically just another bit of road, but from a sim angle, it's also curious that they didn't make the whole thing a single structure that can't be overlapped — after all, it rather makes more sense that way.

LonsomeSon posted:

I just don't quite
True art is incomprehensible. Use your emotions, not your cognition. :colbert:

Shibawanko posted:

I wish roundabouts were just a standard feature of the game, like maybe have them come in a few shapes and sizes prebuilt and ploppable on top of existing intersections. Traffic light intersections push players towards grids.
Aside from the intersection replacement… they kind of are, and it's among the easiest ploppables to build yourself. But yes, it would be really neat if you could just slap a circle down that conforms to existing roads automatically rather than having to either restructure the roads so they fit the prefab or be forced to fight with the freeform tool to try to make a circle between oddly angled roads.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A proper roundabout tool would be amazing yes. You pick a center, then a radius, and it makes a proper circle. And it could have sidewalks, along the outer edge, still only be a single lane, and also follow the correct yielding rules. And there could be a Turbo option for one direction.

The game still only has road geometry that sort-of looks and acts like a roundabout, it doesn't have proper roundabouts.
There's also some annoying restrictions on the sizes you can build with the current tool, and the angles the roads can meet at.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Personally, I just want to recreate the Magic Roundabout.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Evil Thing posted:

Personally, I just want to recreate the Magic Roundabout.

You can do it, it just has to be fairly spread out so skylines can deal with all the connections.

Remember that the magic roundabout is really just a circular two-way road with five small roundabouts on it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MikeJF posted:

You can do it, it just has to be fairly spread out so skylines can deal with all the connections.

Remember that the magic roundabout is really just a circular two-way road with five small roundabouts on it.

For those who've never seen this wonderful thing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd settle for just having traffic on the roundabout stop yielding to incoming cars.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I'd settle for just having traffic on the roundabout stop yielding to incoming cars.

That's the main thing for me yeah. Otherwise it's just a bunch of smaller intersections built to look like a circle.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, that's another reason why they'd have to be their own type of asset and just not a bit of road, so I'm not holding my breath on that one. Meanwhile, Traffic Manager lets you set up the intersections like that, which is annoying to do for every one you build, but worth it for some of the more heavily used roundabouts.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I am continually baffled at the amount of hate some people have for grids.

It goes beyond city planning or traffic flow. It seems like some people feel that grids represent everything bad about American culture, that they are symbols of American oppression, warring, and anti-progression. That if you use them in your cities, you are eye-loving every European with a bald eagle while screaming "HOO-RAH MOTHERFUCKER, HOO-RAH."

I want to know why you are so angry. So angry at grids.

Edit: I didn't say I wanted to know why grids are bad. I said I wanted to know why you were so angry at them, goons. Your anger for them is unbounded, unlike a grid, which has four sides.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 28, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cross-traffic at signaled intersections creates traffic, when grids are too dense that traffic backs up into other intersections. A bad grid creates traffic clusterfucks nowhere near any body's destination.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've been experimenting with making the entire layout of the city based on the idea of a roundabout. So I've set up a massive one-way freeway going in a loop around the entire city, with feeder roads going into the interior grid. Housing, commerce and industry inhabit smaller cells, which are themselves surrounded by smaller arterial roundabouts.

I... haven't quite gotten the trick of it yet. Traffic does indeed flow, but it takes forever for service vehicles to travel to their destinations since they end up having to make continuous loops around everything all the time. I'm not sure how to rectify this other than having each cell have its own dedicated service vehicles serving just that area -- which would naturally lead to overspending on redundant services.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Fabulousity posted:

One place to start is to look at the log file for some leads:

<SteamFolder>\SteamApps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt

Sharing violation on the autosave file, but I've checked permissions and it seems fine. No disk errors showing in my system logs either. Is there a way to turn the autosaves off, because a manual save was fine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DrSunshine posted:

I've been experimenting with making the entire layout of the city based on the idea of a roundabout. So I've set up a massive one-way freeway going in a loop around the entire city, with feeder roads going into the interior grid. Housing, commerce and industry inhabit smaller cells, which are themselves surrounded by smaller arterial roundabouts.

I... haven't quite gotten the trick of it yet. Traffic does indeed flow, but it takes forever for service vehicles to travel to their destinations since they end up having to make continuous loops around everything all the time. I'm not sure how to rectify this other than having each cell have its own dedicated service vehicles serving just that area -- which would naturally lead to overspending on redundant services.
Roundabouts writ large need some sort of mechanism similar to magic roundabouts to short circuit stuff together because there's no reason to ride the loop the whole way if your destination is 5 degrees behind your entrance.

Like there is no reason the beltway should be one way, unless you have an inner and outer belt as part of a super mega sized roundabout.

I posted my roundabout inspired industrial neighborhoods earlier in the thread if you are interested. Its a good example of short circuiting allowed by magic roundabout type set ups on a block scale.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Make concentric circles going alternating directions, and in/out roads also alternating directions?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ExtraNoise posted:

It goes beyond city planning or traffic flow. It seems like some people feel that grids represent everything bad about American culture, that they are symbols of American oppression, warring, and anti-progression. That if you use them in your cities, you are eye-loving every European with a bald eagle while screaming "HOO-RAH MOTHERFUCKER, HOO-RAH."

Edit: I didn't say I wanted to know why grids are bad. I said I wanted to know why you were so angry at them, goons. Your anger for them is unbounded, unlike a grid, which has four sides.
Grids just look kinda boring. :shrug:

Also, if you say hoo-rah a bit slower it becomes hora which is swedish for whore.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm playing with roundabouts, and designed a neighborhood based around this thing.

I call it the Spinnarator! :science:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I'm playing with roundabouts, and designed a neighborhood based around this thing.

Looks really good. I like the placement of onramps to the top level after intersections to encourage people to use all lanes.

My only suggestion would be to replace the large one-ways with highways and the small one-ways with "onramps" to get rid of all unnecessary intersections.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
it looks nice but it seems like something I would absolutely despise using in real life

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dred_furst posted:

Did someone say grids and/or roundabouts?

I literally have no idea what they were smoking when they built this. it's a clusterfuck 24/7.

Bonus round:

Enjoy 2 motorways, 1 motorway that ends, 2 ringroads, 1 side road and 1 major arterial route into the city all within 1/2 a mile of each other.

The left most motorway has no traffic lights onto the roundabout yet the north/south one does :iiam:

Well hello there Lexbro :v:

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

DrSunshine posted:

sort this out :stare:

your traffic will be a lot better.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think real human drivers would be so confused trying to go into the top part to get down to the bottom.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

ExtraNoise posted:

Grids are great. Goons are bad at making them effectively (Let's put lit intersections every 50 meters!).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Eskaton posted:

Grids are great. Goons are bad at making them effectively (Let's put lit intersections every 50 meters!).

Of course, the problem with that is that the 4-square depth of the zones rather encourage you to put intersections too close together and that you can't make good use of the left-over space if you spread them out unless you absolutely spam oversized parks everywhere.

Just something as simple as letting buildings attach to pedestrian paths would help a lot.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
If I'm in grid mode I usually go with 2:1 blocks myself, with the wide roads making 4:4 grids to serve as arteries. Of course you mix things up a bit due to terrain or to accommodate rail lines etc, and sometimes it's fun to throw a diagonal road across the grid like Broadway just to gently caress things up.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ExtraNoise posted:

They just look so boring and usually ignore natural features of the landscape, making every city look identical. Arterial designs look so much more interesting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People don't like grids ("don't like" is kind of a misnomer, it's not really even that harsh unless you find a weird c:s sperg) because while they are neat, clean, and utilitarian, they don't exercise creativity. The game is about making your city look like whatever you want and it supports any shape or style, so making it just be a grid world is a bit boring given what you can do with it.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
diagonal grids are the hot new compromise position

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I take it too many custom assets will make the game take forever to load? I had a few building packs (around 150 assets total) and it was unreasonable long.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I really wish there were a way to make compilation packs for the workshop because I really want to roll all the dang churches into a single streamlined addon with consistent stats

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
What I'd really like is to somehow make a pack that I can download all the assets from, then with a click of a button switch from one to another. Then I could play a futuristic city in one save, New York/Chicago in another, the UK, Amsterdam, etc. Without having to turn off and on tons of assets or redownload everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Bel Monte posted:

What I'd really like is to somehow make a pack that I can download all the assets from, then with a click of a button switch from one to another. Then I could play a futuristic city in one save, New York/Chicago in another, the UK, Amsterdam, etc. Without having to turn off and on tons of assets or redownload everything.

You can sort of do this with the Theme Management mod, in this case just setting "futuristic" as the theme for the entire city in Policy Management

I presume the buildings need to be tagged properly to utilize it, so I wouldn't know as I haven't delved into any growable buildings, just uniques