Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who can forget that most nineties of alternative genres - ska punk / third-wave ska?

(Disclaimer: I like ska.)

Honestly it's the only genre of music that makes me feel uncomfortable and angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So you hate ska? Is that the impression that I get?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Old ska is ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCZN1rU5co

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you don't like it, you can always just Turn the Radio Off.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You guys like ska and poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL-hKDUGiZs&t=43s

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

88h88 posted:

Honestly it's the only genre of music that makes me feel uncomfortable and angry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F03gEzdLa2g

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

a douche whining about the current trendy music style posted:

Waaaaaa musicians that make money are sellouts!

That made me laugh more than it made me angry tbh.

Not a personal jab at you BD.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

*slow clap*

Very good.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UT-nnv6o6A

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

88h88 posted:

90s Ska was almost uniformly horrible, but from the mid-60s to the early 80s there were some quality bands.

I can understand why poo poo like Sublime or No Doubt would put you off the genre, but they're like the Toby Keith to Earl Scruggs or Waylon Jennings.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

John Big Booty posted:

90s Ska was almost uniformly horrible, but from the mid-60s to the early 80s there were some quality bands.

I can understand why poo poo like Sublime or No Doubt would put you off the genre, but they're like the Toby Keith to Earl Scruggs or Waylon Jennings.

It's mostly because when people say ska they mean the awful third wave trash rather than the oldschool stuff. I enjoy the original stuff, tolerate the 2 tone stuff and just outright hate the third wave shite.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmGmGHRCQSY

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
When I think "generic 90's ska band" my first two thoughts aren't No Doubt and Sublime, no my first thought is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjPB3jROgco

and my second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHpU0ZfXZ_g

King Vidiot has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Nov 27, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who can forget that most nineties of alternative genres - ska punk / third-wave ska?

The weird thing about this and the previous post was that I enjoyed ska, punk, and nu metal but wasn't like...super obsessed with it. I also enjoyed industrial music a lot and, well, still do. I added noise to the list but I still listen to that stuff. It just sounds nice but I have never felt the need to be super fan about it.

I still listen to Reel Big Fish. They're pretty good.

Actually I kind of think the 90's were summed up by Lump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sj_U6vObUA

:v: : Hey guys I guess we're famous now and have to make a music video. Why don't we...uh...well, poo poo I don't have any ideas and everybody is trying to be the most ridiculous thing out there so let's...uh...go wear some suits in the swamp and ruin a bunch of music equipment. Yeah, let's do that. That's pretty ridiculous and stupid.

(disclaimer: I greatly enjoy the band and their first two albums are still some of my favorites ever)

edit: No wait there is more ridiculous than that. I guess 1995 was peak crazy because, well, Primus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

Dear lord that whole decade was like a massive drug hangover after the drug binge that the 70's and 80's were. 1995 was apparently peak crazy. It's like everybody was trying to make the video that made the least sense.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Nov 27, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Also, open message to Vevo... STOP loving CHANGING ASPECT RATIOS. It doesn't look good and it isn't needed.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I always felt like Sublime and No Doubt were the radio-friendly, pop accessible sort of ska- none of the people I knew who were into ska actually liked them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

I always felt like Sublime and No Doubt were the radio-friendly, pop accessible sort of ska- none of the people I knew who were into ska actually liked them.

The people I knew that liked Ska generally liked at least some No Doubt. Their albums before they got famous were pretty ska (or album...I forget if there was more than one from that era but I have a copy of a very, very good album that predates Tragic Kingdom) but didn't like Sublime all that much. It was a luke warm thing; a few people would like one Sublime album or a few songs but mostly it was the druggies that liked Sublime. Incidentally they also hated No Doubt. Odd.

Of course No Doubt got rejected by the punks something fierce when they got famous. The rest of us just listened to whatever we enjoyed. The 90's were also a time of a lot of one hit wonders because of that bizarre need to be edgy and underground and cool. Everybody wanted to stick it to the man but also get rich and famous but if you got rich and famous you were a sellout. Which Reel Big Fish wrote a song about later on called One Hit Wonderful. Everybody wanted to have a new band to tell their friends about that was so cool and new and fresh not like that lovely band everybody likes now but then...everybody picked the same band and then would immediately reject it when everybody else liked them. So bands were trying to get signed to major contracts so they could be full-time musicians or get famous and wealthy but also trying to appeal to the underground. So bands would come up through the underground but then get rejected by that same underground if they became popular and...yeah.

Even mainstream bands that got huge were still trying to act like a garage band consisting of three guys and a dog playing for two guys and a dog. Punk and ska got notorious for that but industrial music was even worse. Nine Inch Nails got hated for daring to break through and become popular. There was even a joke among rivetheads; "You know you are too industrial if, whenever you encounter somebody else that's heard of your favorite band, you immediately find a new favorite band."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sublime and Tragic Kingdom are both still really good albums. I got a lot of poo poo in high school for being so into the Presidents but they're still amazing too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

actually it's New Jack Swing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KL9mRus19o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb2np1HGqxg

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGp9KLGRX64

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

True, but that wasn't an alternative genre. You had Boyz II Men as the number-one group for a while in the middle of the decade. And Michael Jackson was incorporating new jack swing into his music when he did Dangerous.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The people I knew that liked Ska generally liked at least some No Doubt. Their albums before they got famous were pretty ska (or album...I forget if there was more than one from that era but I have a copy of a very, very good album that predates Tragic Kingdom) but didn't like Sublime all that much. It was a luke warm thing; a few people would like one Sublime album or a few songs but mostly it was the druggies that liked Sublime. Incidentally they also hated No Doubt. Odd.

Yeah, I saw a lot of this in high school - I got into ska through a few friends, they were all into Reel Big Fish, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Bosstones, Save Ferris, even Sublime, but a good chunk of them just hated No Doubt. My only gripe with ND at the time was Gwen's voice sounding so nasally and it kinda annoyed me, and some of it seemed to "pop-like" for my tastes. I remember people not caring much for ND because in their opinion, they felt like ND was just in it for the money, where a lot of guys who liked Sublime respected that they were just a party band that got popular and started selling tapes out of their trunk, and didn't care so much about the money or fame - they just wanted to have fun and gently caress around.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ozz81 posted:

Yeah, I saw a lot of this in high school - I got into ska through a few friends, they were all into Reel Big Fish, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Bosstones, Save Ferris, even Sublime, but a good chunk of them just hated No Doubt. My only gripe with ND at the time was Gwen's voice sounding so nasally and it kinda annoyed me, and some of it seemed to "pop-like" for my tastes. I remember people not caring much for ND because in their opinion, they felt like ND was just in it for the money, where a lot of guys who liked Sublime respected that they were just a party band that got popular and started selling tapes out of their trunk, and didn't care so much about the money or fame - they just wanted to have fun and gently caress around.

I've always been very, very confused at people bitching about musicians trying to make money off of their music. If a person is a professional musician then music is literally their job and they have to worry about how to make a living off of it. I can understand bitching about bands that are selling concert tickets or whatever for $500 and being legitimately greedy but complaining about "being in it for the money?" Well...that's why people go to their jobs. To make money.

The music industry is greedy as hell and deserves to be hated but the musicians themselves? Not so much.

Yes, I used to be a musician, why do you ask?

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've always been very, very confused at people bitching about musicians trying to make money off of their music. If a person is a professional musician then music is literally their job and they have to worry about how to make a living off of it. I can understand bitching about bands that are selling concert tickets or whatever for $500 and being legitimately greedy but complaining about "being in it for the money?" Well...that's why people go to their jobs. To make money.

The music industry is greedy as hell and deserves to be hated but the musicians themselves? Not so much.

Yes, I used to be a musician, why do you ask?

Non-music people (i.e. people who don't or aren't interested in the inner workings of the music industries) conflate the brashest and most successful artists with just about everybody else, and/or the jealousy of not doing a "real" job (despite the fact that the vast, vast majority of musicians make £gently caress all off music).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The best thing to come out of the Voodoo Glow Skulls was the time they got the punk band Hickey kicked off a bill, so Hickey stole a trumpet from their van on the way out. Some time later Hickey released a "split 7"" with VGS which was a Hickey song on one side and threatening answering machine messages from VGS' friends on the other.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
When I was about 13 I used to always listen to those $3 Fat Wreck Chords and Punk-O-Rama Vols 1 to ∞ compilations and every single one would have one random ska song shoehorned in somewhere, either Voodoo Glow Skulls or the token ska song off of whatever Rancid album came out that year.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I loving hated and still hate Sublime. When What I Got broke, every loving stoner burn out rear end in a top hat over night turned into the biggest sublime fans because "we said his mom smokes pot!" and "Dude he died! He died man, that makes the music so good".

And you make fun of my all Joy Division mixtape. :jerkoff:

It wasn't just that, it was just music about partying. There wasn't anything really interesting or inventive about it. Competent musicians i'll give them that but so are a lot of mediocre bands.

To accompany the Ska revival, there was also the 90s Swing revival. Probably the first really big breakthrough was Zoot Suit Riot by the Cherry Poppin' Daddies (if there was a name for a band made up of pedophiles, I think that would be it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY

Funny thing, somehow Zoot Suits origins of being black and latino youth's clothing is ignored, along with the ugly racism that followed actual zoot suit riots. Anyways, this was super short lived. Like it was super popular for about a year in the late 90s, and then it vanished, with its last gasp being Lou Bega. It was weird, it seemed to come out of nowhere, obviously there were swing influanced bands earlier, obviously the Stay Cats are an obvious one, and Brian Setzer came out as a big star of this era. I read an article about its rise and fall (I worked in a music store for over 10 years, I've read a lot of rolling stones, mojo's and billboards) and there were two major factors for its decline. Number one, kids would be listening to it, and their parents would be "oh I love this stuff" which is the quickest way to make something uncool (see what happens with Kiss) and also it was really expensive to lug big bands around unless you were a major star.

I think its lasting impression probably helped rekindle mid century nostolgia. I remember at the time, 70s nostalgia was fairly popular, which I always chalked up to kids who grew up in the 70s were old enough to have money and wanted to recapture their childhoods and that meant culture and marketing started aiming towards that. This is why this cd exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxV9tIlpN94&list=PL68B27BFA610B60EE
(listen its pretty fantastic, except for the Tripping Daisy and Collective Soul songs)
Anyways, this comes along and holy poo poo, wearing a suit and tie and a fedora can be youthful and cool! Shaving and brushing my hair make me look real slick! I guess the only thing that remains from it is the fedora, and weirdo nerds who think that wearing a badly fitting suit and second hand tie will distract people from their long greasy hair and generally unkempt appearance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a certain degree of affection for the swing revival stuff because the jazz orchestra I was in as a teenager played a lot of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Gordon Goodwin stuff, which came out of that era.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uiYp8xKjLM

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The music is why Swingers is unwatchable. And Vince Vaughn.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Non-music people (i.e. people who don't or aren't interested in the inner workings of the music industries) conflate the brashest and most successful artists with just about everybody else, and/or the jealousy of not doing a "real" job (despite the fact that the vast, vast majority of musicians make £gently caress all off music).

A lot of people have the attitude of "you should do creative things because you love it not because you want money." This applies especially to musicians for whatever reason. Artists can at least say "well it cost me $X in materials to make that so I'm not giving it away." For whatever reason people forget that musicians have expenses too. Instruments are not cheap and hauling that poo poo to a show is also not exactly free. It also takes a gently caress load of hours to learn music and become competent enough to actually perform. Rehearsal eats up a lot of time as well. Fun as it is it's sickening to hear nonstop "well you should work for free because you like doing it."

It's a mix of jealousy but also entitlement. That kind of came out of a mix of Napster (how's that for 90's?) and how incredibly saturated the music industry is. Every dumbass with a guitar is in a band and for every band that expects to be paid there are five that will play for free and fifty that will pay the venue to play there. It was frustrating to tell people "you do not work for free so don't expect musicians to either."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what it is about music specifically. People don't think twice about downloading an album off a torrent site but I don't imagine they'd be quite as quick to nick the CD off the shelf from an HMV.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
Well that probably has a lot to do with the fact that chances getting caught torrenting an album (or at least prosecuted for it) are pretty much naught, whilst nicking a physical album is a lot more difficult. It's like that old anti-pirating ad that would show before movies or on DVDs, "You wouldn't steal a car", where of course the natural response is "Well if I could download one I would". It's like any crime, if the risk of getting caught is perceived as low, people are more likely to do it.

The ad in question, btw, is very much something I'm saving for the "Post the most 00's thing you can find". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZm8vNHBSU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
When napster first came It seemed like everyone used it and no one i knew really felt like it was wrong. I was 18 and used to steal small stuff and shoplift on occasion. My friends and I knew it was wrong and that provided some if the thrill of stealing a candy bar or something out of some kids locker. Napster just felt like free music it didnt feel like stealing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Napster was kind of a double-edged sword. The indie world jumped on file sharing hard because it was easy exposure and bands live and die by exposure. Suddenly it became stupidly easy to spread your music far and wide. The issue was that this also led to a race to the bottom, as it were; suddenly it was expected that all music would be free on the internet forever which was problematic. Everybody was using Napster and file sharing by a certain point to get not just the music they liked but also new music.

But when you suggested that it should be monetized so the bands could get paid everybody lost their minds. Eventually stuff like iTunes, Pandora, and such came around but now you can probably find whatever you want free on YouTube anyway. Torrenting still happens too. Why pay for things you can get for free?

On one hand the internet lets weird stuff that the record industry would never touch get made and be spread all over. On the other hand it ended with people refusing to pay musicians.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Why pay for things you can steal?

You wouldn't steal a car!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But when you suggested that it should be monetized so the bands could get paid everybody lost their minds. Eventually stuff like iTunes, Pandora, and such came around but now you can probably find whatever you want free on YouTube anyway. Torrenting still happens too. Why pay for things you can get for free?

For the convenience, I'd imagine. A few years back I downloaded everything I wanted to listen to, now I just subscribe to Google Music which is better than storing actual songs somewhere, and way better than loving with a CD with maybe 2 songs on it that I actually like. Technology caught up with laziness, and also gave me a nice way to discover new music.

When I was younger the way we justified downloading was "the label takes most of the money anyway." No real idea how accurate that was, though.

How big a star do you have to be to make a decent living off of shows and merchandise?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have a friend that spent most of the year working at an electronics recycler. Nearly all of the iPods that they got had some part of a constellation of the exact same music and no full albums. People just want to listen to the exact same singles over and over and over.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that's why album sales are in the toilet nowadays unless your name is Taylor Swift or Adele - nobody wants to buy 11 songs for the two or three they'll actually listen to when they can just download them off iTunes and feel honest about paying £0.79 to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bands can rake it in if they tour. $25 a pop for a lovely t-shirt made in Malaysia.