Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I wonder if there's any extra BP in it for that (although I doubt it).

There is bonus BP for winning that fight outright, something like 5 BP in total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What you really need for that fight are a few Naptime Cookies and Knockout Meatballs.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Ryuga Death posted:

Is Ys VI worth picking up? It's only 5.99 on Steam at the moment.

Did you play Oath in Felghana and/or Origin? Did you like the combat system? Could you tolerate the combat system being slightly different/worse?

If yes to all, get Ys 6. Ys 6 builds on the prototype hack/slash of 5 and makes it good. Oath/Origin make it great.

If no to 1, what Ys games have you played (if 1/2/ old 4s, 6 is significantly different style and it depends on whether you like button mashing or running into things. If 7/Celceta, 6 is a lot worse on combat, there's not much more than slash poo poo until it dies. If original 3, play the PS2 version of Ys 6 so you can enjoy the pain of getting a Ys game and having it murdered by Konami on the way over, and you'll understand why it took forever to get Ys games!)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Valth001 posted:

There is bonus BP for winning that fight outright, something like 5 BP in total.

Hmmm... so is it a turn-thing? If you survive for X turns you get a draw? I just tried it again and I think I got the cutscene faster even though no one had died. Can someone explain it clearly?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Hmmm... so is it a turn-thing? If you survive for X turns you get a draw? I just tried it again and I think I got the cutscene faster even though no one had died. Can someone explain it clearly?

From how I gather, it's a time based thing, not turn based. Barrage is bad for that given I think victory only triggers when Estelle gets a turn again, and last-turn Barrage can mess that up.

Try Aerial instead of White Gehenna, and use food to heal and stat boost, if you have some lying around. Also burn your attack food.

Basically you want the fastest attacks, even if damage is somewhat compromised as a result.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

You're on a time-limit.

Have you tried getting Death Scream on Estelle, or equipping Deathblow 1 and spamming Hurricane?

Slur fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 28, 2015

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Nuts, I wanted to have Olivier with me when I fought Bleublanc for the last time. Didn't even know that was coming. What's the order you face the Enforcers in in the last chapter? Is it:

Bleublanc
Walter
Luciola
Renne

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah, plus leonhart after those, although it doesn't matter much who you bring for him

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

V-Men posted:

Nuts, I wanted to have Olivier with me when I fought Bleublanc for the last time. Didn't even know that was coming. What's the order you face the Enforcers in in the last chapter? Is it:

Bleublanc
Walter
Luciola
Renne

That's correct.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Also, it's loving criminal to give me Julia and Mueller only at the very end. With that many people, having multiple parties, ala Final Fantasy 6's Kefka's Tower, would have been awesome.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

V-Men posted:

Also, it's loving criminal to give me Julia and Mueller only at the very end. With that many people, having multiple parties, ala Final Fantasy 6's Kefka's Tower, would have been awesome.

To be fair, they weren't in the original version of the game, so that would've been weird.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Slur posted:

You're on a time-limit.

Have you tried getting Death Scream on Estelle, or equipping Deathblow 1 and spamming Hurricane?

Given that a lot of my party members quartz is still on them, I definitely don't have enough items for Death Scream. I did load from before the triple Joshua-doll fight and steal a Cast 2 quartz from one of my casters, and I subbed that in for Mind 2. It took a couple attempts still, but spamming Aerial did the trick eventually. Thanks.

Arklight
Nov 13, 2012

howdy
I took it upon myself to fight a certain endgame boss a boatload of times with every possible party member to get every little tidbit of post-battle dialogue. There's some real nifty stuff in here. Loewe is a cool guy.

SPOILERS FOR FINALE/CHAPTER 9 BOSS FIGHT OF TRAILS SC

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Arklight posted:

I took it upon myself to fight a certain endgame boss a boatload of times with every possible party member to get every little tidbit of post-battle dialogue. There's some real nifty stuff in here. Loewe is a cool guy.

SPOILERS FOR FINALE/CHAPTER 9 BOSS FIGHT OF TRAILS SC

This is cool and I really like the additional dialogue that happens when you bring Olivier and Mueller. Also Kevin's for sure leaves me wondering. The wait for the 3rd is gonna be the worst.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

FighterKnuckles posted:

The wait for the 3rd is gonna be the worst.

No kidding. And here I thought everything would be fine after I finished SC and that lingering itch while waiting for that game would go away, but nope! Still there. Except this time we have no idea whether an English version of the 3rd will even exist. :smith:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

No kidding. And here I thought everything would be fine after I finished SC and that lingering itch while waiting for that game would go away, but nope! Still there. Except this time we have no idea whether an English version of the 3rd will even exist. :smith:

The Western Trails Experience.™

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Second Chapter - Does anyone know the song name and the number for the ED6xxx.OGG for the song that plays in Bose (Chapter 5) after the market incident? and the same for the new Ancient Dragon's Lair dungeon later on?

The songs you're looking for are:

Town where the lights went out. (ED6111.OGG)

and

Visions (ED6556.OGG)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm finally playing SC. What does getting max BP get you this time around? I'm obviously not going for it first time around since it basically requires guides and that's boring, but I might go for a second playthrough, especially with the route split it should be entertaining enough. I only went for max BP in the first game with the knowledge that most if not all of the sidequests would pay off at least a bit in the sequel but since there's no direct sequel this time, is there an ingame reward, or is it just "Good job!"?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

You get some armour and some slightly different dialogue that pretty much amounts to 'Good Job!', yeah.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I'm finally playing SC. What does getting max BP get you this time around? I'm obviously not going for it first time around since it basically requires guides and that's boring, but I might go for a second playthrough, especially with the route split it should be entertaining enough. I only went for max BP in the first game with the knowledge that most if not all of the sidequests would pay off at least a bit in the sequel but since there's no direct sequel this time, is there an ingame reward, or is it just "Good job!"?

Estelle being smug in a scene at the end of chapter 8, an armor with a ton of defense, and a better item at the start of the third game.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Tamba posted:

Estelle being smug in a scene at the end of chapter 8, an armor with a ton of defense, and a better item at the start of the third game.

I wonder if any other bracer ever went from G-rank to A as fast as Estelle does if you get max BP, considering Anelace is still an F after six months, Kurt is Liberl's top bracer and isn't quite an A, Schera and Agate are C rank in FC and are considered veterans with significant reputations...

Probably Cassius did, because Cassius. Anyway, it's a good reason to be smug.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The Doomhammer posted:

I wonder if any other bracer ever went from G-rank to A as fast as Estelle does if you get max BP, considering Anelace is still an F after six months, Kurt is Liberl's top bracer and isn't quite an A, Schera and Agate are C rank in FC and are considered veterans with significant reputations...

On Steam the is a long thread discussing Estelle and Joshua's "canon" bracer rank. It is about as tedious a discussion as you could expect.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tamba posted:

Oh I see, that's the armor at the top of the bracer rewards list, right? So getting the max rank actually requires max BP this time around. I guess then another, more subtle reward is getting the good rewards slightly earlier in the game.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

The Doomhammer posted:

Anelace could probably advance quicker if Estelle didn't hog all the jobs on the board.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I recall that Estelle's canon bracer rank was B...which might explain why SC gives you such a horribly small error margin to reach the A-rank. Reaching A-rank doesn't require max BP, but it does require you to get 380 of the 382 available BP, so for pretty much all intents and purposes, you need perfect BP. Getting a single question wrong during certain choice points is enough to screw you out of the A-rank.

In addition to getting an armor that has a crapton of defense, the reward you get in 3rd for importing with bracer rank A is apparantly the equivalent of a gladiator belt...which does admittedly sound pretty useful.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to changing up your party regularly? Because now that I've got my fantastic four set up and all ready to go I really don't feel like going through the hassle of managing everyone's orbments/equips again regularly (and the game makes this really difficult for some reason. Why couldn't you just access everyone's stuff at once instead of awkwardly switching people around, unequipping them, and switching others in? Ugh). But on the other hand I'm the type of player who likes to do just that in RPGs, whenever there's character choice I try to rotate them and use everyone for at least a bit just for the variety and to keep everyone leveled in case you get nasty solo mission surprises.

Eh, I guess I'll end up doing it anyway, I think I talked myself into it during writing this post. But the interface, or lack of one, is still really rear end though. We got this right all the way back in FF7!

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Amppelix posted:

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to changing up your party regularly? Because now that I've got my fantastic four set up and all ready to go I really don't feel like going through the hassle of managing everyone's orbments/equips again regularly (and the game makes this really difficult for some reason. Why couldn't you just access everyone's stuff at once instead of awkwardly switching people around, unequipping them, and switching others in? Ugh). But on the other hand I'm the type of player who likes to do just that in RPGs, whenever there's character choice I try to rotate them and use everyone for at least a bit just for the variety and to keep everyone leveled in case you get nasty solo mission surprises.

Eh, I guess I'll end up doing it anyway, I think I talked myself into it during writing this post. But the interface, or lack of one, is still really rear end though. We got this right all the way back in FF7!

There's really only one time when you're forced to take on party members but the game is pretty forgiving in terms of getting people to the level they're supposed to be.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Amppelix posted:

The interface sucks, but you really ought to bring people along to boss fights concerning them!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Amppelix posted:

Oh I see, that's the armor at the top of the bracer rewards list, right? So getting the max rank actually requires max BP this time around. I guess then another, more subtle reward is getting the good rewards slightly earlier in the game.

Not quite, but the margin of error is two points, so it might as well not exist.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Supremezero posted:

Not quite, but the margin of error is two points, so it might as well not exist.

Don't remind me, please. 379 BP first playthrough, I lost 1 BP in a sidequest (totally my fault there) and 2 BP in another and HOW THE gently caress was that my fault? You'd think already having the materials at hand for a fetch quest before even talking to the NPC would be it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have to say I am shocked, shocked, that the obviously evil little girl turned out to be evil. They really didn't care too much about hiding that one, did they.

Speaking of that, I'm (as of chapter 3's end) still kind of undecided how I feel about the whole of the society. They're so over the top that they almost, but not quite, don't fit into the setting. They're also a pretty jarring tonal shift whenever they show up. The entire first game was so nicely grounded that I kind of hate the super anime, super goofy, super powerful villain style on principle, but on the other hand they sort of earned it by having the entire first game as buildup. I guess we'll see how ridiculous it gets as the game nears the climax. So far I would say I don't dislike them, but I would be more satisfied if they weren't literally plucked from random shonen shows and thrown into the game as-is. I mean we've got the inexplicably huge jumps, the Villain Teleportation (TM), the evil monologues, I'm pretty sure one of them floats just for the heck of it, etc. I guess it's great in its own way too.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

They are a bit of a tonal shift, but I ended up really liking the society in the end. I think it was the weird camaraderie they have, and how none of them really seem to give a poo poo about Weissman's plan at all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

here are the enforcers, ranked

Top tier

Campanella
Bleublanc

Middle Tier

Loewe
Renne

Low Tier

Luciola
Walter

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Where was Joshua on that when he was an enforcer?

(...No clue if that's even a spoiler at this point but eh.)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

Top tier

Campanella
Bleublanc

Middle Tier

Loewe
Renne

Low Tier

Luciola
Walter

Weissman Tier
Weissman (gently caress off asshat)

Yes I know he's not an Enforcer, but it had to be said.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Supremezero posted:

Weissman Tier
Weissman (gently caress off asshat)

Yes I know he's not an Enforcer, but it had to be said.

Speaking of the Enforcers and the Anguis, I've been reading supplementary material about the later games, and I have to say that I'm happy that NONE of them except the Grandmaster had any empathy for Weissmann.

As well, I'm not sure if I support the fan-theory that Aidios is the Grandmaster. If that were true, isn't she beyond the Sept-Terrion herself in terms of power? If that were the case, what would she ever need them for?.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

I have to say I am shocked, shocked, that the obviously evil little girl turned out to be evil. They really didn't care too much about hiding that one, did they.

Speaking of that, I'm (as of chapter 3's end) still kind of undecided how I feel about the whole of the society. They're so over the top that they almost, but not quite, don't fit into the setting. They're also a pretty jarring tonal shift whenever they show up. The entire first game was so nicely grounded that I kind of hate the super anime, super goofy, super powerful villain style on principle, but on the other hand they sort of earned it by having the entire first game as buildup. I guess we'll see how ridiculous it gets as the game nears the climax. So far I would say I don't dislike them, but I would be more satisfied if they weren't literally plucked from random shonen shows and thrown into the game as-is. I mean we've got the inexplicably huge jumps, the Villain Teleportation (TM), the evil monologues, I'm pretty sure one of them floats just for the heck of it, etc. I guess it's great in its own way too.
the first game is anime, also. the game is anime. the game is a shonen anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the first game has a white-haired pretty boy who dual wields swords and is so overwhelmingly powerful that he can 1v3 your party and you're expected to lose the fight in two turns, and the final boss is a giant robot.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Slur posted:

As well, I'm not sure if I support the fan-theory that Aidios is the Grandmaster. If that were true, isn't she beyond the Sept-Terrion herself in terms of power? If that were the case, what would she ever need them for?.

(spoilers that go beyond sc) as far as i can tell the only basis for this theory is that the grandmaster is a women (which itself only comes from supplementary material, not any game), so it's not confirmed or anything. that said im sure it'd be accompanied with some twists as to the nature of the sept-terrions and the goddess and such though that'd explain this

if only leonhart hadn't gotten himself chumped since apparently he'd met the GM