Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'm pretty sure they're just averaging it with metropolitan France for those figures. I had a drinking buddy a few years ago who was in the Legion in Guiana and he made it sound like a giant shithole. He was originally from Liberia so his "shithole" assessment seemed pretty serious.

e: Have a map that popped up on my Facebook. I'm having trouble deciding what the most unrealistic portion is in an todhchaí, although it's probably Cornwall.

In the future, flags will finally be small enough to fit in their respective countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kalstrams posted:

Backseat economical mapping says that we can divide GDP per capita with Gini coefficient, which won't make any theoretical sense, though will provide a plausible numerical metric to assess combination of both.
This surely is a slow burning evening.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

Mancashire.

The English regions have the most :effort: names though. It's no wonder that there was no enthusiasm for the regional assemblies. Yorkshire (now with added Humber) is the only one that ties in with a regional identity. I'm honestly surprised that they didn't go with Mercia for the West Midlands.

This too.

e: ^^^ I don't think the East Midlands would go for 'Danish Mercia'.

Found a map in my pictures folder with Mercia in it:

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Reveilled posted:

Based on nothing but a love of making pretty borders in Paradox games I feel Wessex should annex Kent. And Anglia should annex Bedfordshire, Huntingdon & Peterborough and Lincolnshire. That might help even out the populations a bit more, too.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

it wouldn't work with a single English parliament, they'd either have far less influence per person than Scotland or Wales if each state/province/whatever we're calling them gets the same power

I've never understood what the problem with this is - isn't this the idea behind the senates in the US and Australia giving each state the same number of senators? Precisely so that areas with low populations aren't drowned out by the bigger states?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

freebooter posted:

I've never understood what the problem with this is - isn't this the idea behind the senates in the US and Australia giving each state the same number of senators? Precisely so that areas with low populations aren't drowned out by the bigger states?

Out of all government types you want to emulate, I'm not sure America's broken rear end senate is one of them.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Is this based on PPP? :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kalstrams posted:

Wealthy countries are wealthy despite inequality, stop the presses

Anyway, if you are making maps based on arbitrary combination of data like that, you might as well make a map based on (ratio of median income and gdp per capita) * GDP PPP per capita and get a better result

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 28, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

freebooter posted:

I don't think England would support a system where 10 million people are represented by 75% of the upper house and 54 million by 25%.

I mean of course they would in an instant if the 10 million were from the Home Counties, but giving a home advantage of that size to the periphery isn't going to happen.

Also it evens out a lot more when you have 50 states with a smaller population variance, and even then it has issues.

If you do it the other way around, proportional by population, then the South-East of England just dominates the English sector, which in turn dominates the federation.

Further regionalization really does seem like the preferable way to solve the representation issue while allowing regional autonomy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

freebooter posted:

The US Senate (and US states) is organized according to arbitrary and dysfunctional rules. There's no need any country should follow the American example in this case.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

steinrokkan posted:

The US Senate (and US states) is organized according to arbitrary and dysfunctional rules. There's no need any country should follow the American example in this case.

This is untrue. The purpose of the US Senate is to give rural, conservative states more power at the expense of urban, progressive states. The Senate's organization is neither arbitrary or dysfunctional - it works very well for what it's meant to do.

What it's meant to do is terrible and anti-democratic, and leads to really bad policy choices most of the time. But that's a different critique than the one you made.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

California and Rhode Island have the same representation in the Senate for the same reason that India and Lichtenstein each have one vote in the UN.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Ponsonby Britt posted:

This is untrue. The purpose of the US Senate is to give rural, conservative states more power at the expense of urban, progressive states. The Senate's organization is neither arbitrary or dysfunctional - it works very well for what it's meant to do.

What it's meant to do is terrible and anti-democratic, and leads to really bad policy choices most of the time. But that's a different critique than the one you made.

To be fair, it's not like the House's method of determining congressional districts is any less anti-democratic and biased towards rural, conservative regions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ponsonby Britt posted:

This is untrue. The purpose of the US Senate is to give rural, conservative states more power at the expense of urban, progressive states.

No. When the system was created many of the small population states were much more urban than the larger, rural, states, especially since slaves were partially counted towards representation. Additionally there was very little correlation between population, urban/rural divide, and progressivism back then.

I have no idea where you even got this notion, as it makes no sense for the original 13 colonies who wrote the drat thing! And the reason it hasn't been changed is that you need 3/4 of the states to agree, as any amendment, and I don't think there's ever been a time when a full 3/4 of the states had something to gain from doing it.

HorseRenoir posted:

To be fair, it's not like the House's method of determining congressional districts is any less anti-democratic and biased towards rural, conservative regions.

The house doesn't determine congressional districts. They are technically allowed to, but do not do it on a regular basis - they merely set their own number.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ponsonby Britt posted:

This is untrue. The purpose of the US Senate is to give rural, conservative states more power at the expense of urban, progressive states.

The chief proponent of the Senate were abolitionist (or at least slave free) states and the chief opponents were slaveholding states.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Wow I didn't realize how much reclaimed land their is in England. Was that are just marshy? or was it actually submerged and reclaimed over the years via dykes and other such things like in the Netherlands?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

Mancashire.

The English regions have the most :effort: names though. It's no wonder that there was no enthusiasm for the regional assemblies. Yorkshire (now with added Humber) is the only one that ties in with a regional identity. I'm honestly surprised that they didn't go with Mercia for the West Midlands.

It's especially weird given that there is a west Mercia police. But yeah looking to the heptarchy seems the most obvious option when thinking about english devolution.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

Wow I didn't realize how much reclaimed land their is in England. Was that are just marshy? or was it actually submerged and reclaimed over the years via dykes and other such things like in the Netherlands?

Marsh rather than water, and yes dykes and pumps and things. There was loads of flooding in the Somerset levels (the south western marsh bit) a few years back in large part because people had forgotten it wasn't supposed to be land and hadn't maintained all the drainage.

Plus the western part is so like the Netherlands it is actually called Holland https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parts_of_Holland

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Reveilled posted:

Manchester is not part of Cheshire.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Koesj posted:

Is this based on PPP? :v:
Nah, this is GDP/Gini. I was a bit too lazy to figure a text label somewhere in since there was unprecedented amount of fuckery involved with the API since having ' in Cote d'Ivoire in the map list did break the whole loving thing and stumble me for some time as I am not the most proficient JavaScript debugger when it's written in some random rear end web tool and I have to work it out through :chome:.

steinrokkan posted:

Wealthy countries are wealthy despite inequality, stop the presses

Anyway, if you are making maps based on arbitrary combination of data like that, you might as well make a map based on (ratio of median income and gdp per capita) * GDP PPP per capita and get a better result
I'll try to make one now that I'm getting better with Google's geochart API.

Edit: Also yeah the data is a bit garbage behind that once since the only place with Gini coefficient for more than a few dozen of countries was CIA factbook, where data range was from 1980s until 2010s.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 28, 2015

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

fishmech posted:

No. When the system was created many of the small population states were much more urban than the larger, rural, states, especially since slaves were partially counted towards representation. Additionally there was very little correlation between population, urban/rural divide, and progressivism back then.

People like Hamilton lived in big cities, were linked to finance and trade, and favored a strong federal government that could invest in infrastructure and assume state debt (and later raise tariffs to protect manufacturing). People like Jefferson lived out on farms (or plantations), were linked to agriculture (for export or domestic consumption), and favored a weak federal government that wouldn't spend or tax much and take on debt. Most Hamiltonian-types lived in large states, anchored by urban areas (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts); most Jeffersonian-types lived in small states, which were mostly rural (New Hampshire, the South, the areas that were about to become Vermont and Kentucky). Sure, there were some exceptions (Virginia, later South Carolina and Georgia), but those were large populations but small electorates (because slavery).

(I'm basically equating "Hamilton" with "progressive" and "Jefferson" with "conservative" here, which I know is a gross oversimplification in a number of ways.)

computer parts posted:

The chief proponent of the Senate were abolitionist (or at least slave free) states and the chief opponents were slaveholding states.

I don't think that's true. The final vote on the Connecticut Plan was 5-4. Of the five states who voted for equal representation, two were free (CT and NJ) and three were slave (MD, DE, and NC). Of the four states who voted against it, three were slave (VA, GA, and SC) and one was free (PA). Of the other four states, MA abstained, RI never sent delegates, NY's delegates had left, and I don't think NH's delegates had shown up yet. MA, NC, and NY were all originally against equal representation. Free states were prominent on both sides of the issue (NJ originally wrote the 'everybody gets one vote' plan; NY was bitterly opposed, in the person of Hamilton), and so were slave states (VA led the push for proportional representation [for white people anyway]; DE and MD were against it from the beginning).

fake edit: Here is a map of population density from the 1790 Census, which ended up never being quite directly relevant to my argument. But, map thread.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Well most of it isn't, but everything south of the Mersey is.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ponsonby Britt posted:

People like Hamilton lived in big cities, were linked to finance and trade, and favored a strong federal government that could invest in infrastructure and assume state debt (and later raise tariffs to protect manufacturing). People like Jefferson lived out on farms (or plantations), were linked to agriculture (for export or domestic consumption), and favored a weak federal government that wouldn't spend or tax much and take on debt. Most Hamiltonian-types lived in large states, anchored by urban areas (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts); most Jeffersonian-types lived in small states, which were mostly rural (New Hampshire, the South, the areas that were about to become Vermont and Kentucky). Sure, there were some exceptions (Virginia, later South Carolina and Georgia), but those were large populations but small electorates (because slavery).

(I'm basically equating "Hamilton" with "progressive" and "Jefferson" with "conservative" here, which I know is a gross oversimplification in a number of ways.)

Hamiltonianism was consciously anti-democratic and aristocratic, while Jefferson was for Rousseau style popular sovereignty and radical democracy (but only for whites obviously). There's a reason he was a giant fan of the French Jacobins. This is a terrible way of looking at the two factions, IMO it makes more sense to look at them as two separate parallel, liberal political traditions, Hamiltonian federalism descending from British Whig liberalism and Jeffersonian-Jacksonianism from continental/French radical liberalism. Coincidentally Latin American Bolivarian liberalism was also in that same family, probably having something to do with them both being slave-owning planter societies. Funny enough the aristocracy both in France and the Americas tended to be the biggest supporters of that kind of radical liberalism, while the capitalist middle classes opted for undemocratic, British Whig style liberalism. The weak capitalist middle class in Latin America and the South led to the dominance of the radical tradition there

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 28, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Done. Data is (GNI per capita/GDP per capita)*GDP per capita, PPP. 2011 World Bank data, mapped everything that had all 3 data points available for the year.

Edit: Fixed the map a bit.
Edit2: There is a problem with geocharts though, in that it is not trivial to show regions like Hong Kong or Macao within it.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 28, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

They look like the pre-72 counties.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Handcock's Bottom

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, the Schengen zone is the area of the European Union (+ a few associated non EU countries) with unchecked travel among member countries. Once you're inside Schengen, you can travel to any Schengen country without any border controls. The outside borders are (supposedly) strictly guarded.

Because of TERRORISTS, some politicians have been calling for a 'mini-Schengen', a much smaller (5 countries) free-travel area which would get border checks on the outside. They say mini-Schengen should look like this:

Why these countries, and not, for instance, France or Denmark? I really have no clue. Looks to me like they're trying to recreate a Great Germanic Empire.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

<in extremely west country voice> Folk around Glastonbury don't care much for bottoms, alright?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, the Schengen zone is the area of the European Union (+ a few associated non EU countries) with unchecked travel among member countries. Once you're inside Schengen, you can travel to any Schengen country without any border controls. The outside borders are (supposedly) strictly guarded.

Because of TERRORISTS, some politicians have been calling for a 'mini-Schengen', a much smaller (5 countries) free-travel area which would get border checks on the outside. They say mini-Schengen should look like this:

Why these countries, and not, for instance, France or Denmark? I really have no clue. Looks to me like they're trying to recreate a Great Germanic Empire.

Wait isn't Brussels the black beating heart of Muslim terrorism in Europe? Doesn't including it in your Greater Aryan Reich defeat the entire purpose? Maybe they're just going to build a giant wall around it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm glad they exclude us, and the French would probably be too. Who wants to be on the inside of this Holy Roman Schengen Zone, when one of its members is Belgium?

icantfindaname posted:

Wait isn't Brussels the black beating heart of Muslim terrorism in Europe? Doesn't including it in your Greater Aryan Reich defeat the entire purpose? Maybe they're just going to build a giant wall around it
Pretty much, yeah.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Man, Chester is part of Cheshire.

The best thing about the Mercian tradition of spelling place names is that there is a town called Towcester that is pronounced Toaster. And everyone thinks that's a bad joke when they first hear of it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Swap the Netherlands and Belgium for Poland and the Czech Republic :godwin:.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Holy Roman Empire shall rise again!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

It's been great this past week to see D&D goons parrot the Flemish nationalist right whenever Belgium or Brussels get brought up. Word for word.

e: actually that's been going on in this thread for as long as I can remember

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 28, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Orange Devil posted:

The Holy Roman Empire shall rise again!

I won't be satisfied until we have reclaimed all that was lost after Charlemagne's death. :colbert:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TinTower posted:

They look like the pre-72 counties.

Yeah, I don't remember what the map's purpose is, but I do remember that the map used the Geographic Counties of 1965 as it is a map of all the old ceremonial counties with the exception of having Greater London on it.

It's either an attempt to split England up into five regions of comparable populations while maintaining some sense of coherency (in which case I'm not sure why a map from 1965 was used) or it's a :paradox: thing (though in that case I dunno why population matters).

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why would people in Norway, Sweden, and Finland be happy? They don't have sun.

Maybe due to a high standard of living and a great welfare system?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

It's been great this past week to see D&D goons parrot the Flemish nationalist right whenever Belgium or Brussels get brought up. Word for word.

e: actually that's been going on in this thread for as long as I can remember
It's true though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I didn't say it wasn't.