Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Subs are not even remotely hard to detect. Diving forces the enemy to try to torpedo and depth charge you and even on the surface, you're not easy to hit with gunfire. You can still do amazing things in a sub because about half of the battleship players think you have to stop moving to shoot and have tunnel vision for whatever they're firing at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
I have failed that in game captcha so many times iam starting to think iam a robot.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

kalven posted:

I have failed that in game captcha so many times iam starting to think iam a robot.
You know it's case sensitive right?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Yesterday I spent hours trying to get wins in my boats and today the fickle pubbies line up and beg me to shoot them.

I only needed 400ish exp to the next ship but I shouldn't complain. Is it worth keeping lower tier ships (apart from ones I particularly like playing of course), I mean, are they used in level restricted matches or fleet things?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Yesterday I spent hours trying to get wins in my boats and today the fickle pubbies line up and beg me to shoot them.

I only needed 400ish exp to the next ship but I shouldn't complain. Is it worth keeping lower tier ships (apart from ones I particularly like playing of course), I mean, are they used in level restricted matches or fleet things?

To be fair T4 is the current main tier. You will find the most matches. T5 is kinda bare and 6...well, yeah.

So I would keep your 4s, get some XP and money with them, and after the pubbies move on, do the same as well.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Sometimes my torpedoes are retard magnets :psyduck:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
First game...5 kills MVP 1500 damage in a full tier 1 game. Please tell me pubbies aren't this damaged all the way up :( (they are aren't they) :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You start hitting fairly skilled people around tier 5.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Ratzap posted:

Is it worth keeping lower tier ships (apart from ones I particularly like playing of course), I mean, are they used in level restricted matches or fleet things?

The lowest tier of fleet battles are restricted to tier 3-4, except subs and destroyers which can only be tiers 2-3. Right now it doesn't seem like people play fleet battles with the higher tiers so it's definitely worth keeping tier 3 & 4 ships.

The only reason to keep tier 1 ships is because I thought those all-destroyer battles were a lot of fun, especially since most of the people are bad and are easy to kill.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

bees everywhere posted:

The lowest tier of fleet battles are restricted to tier 3-4, except subs and destroyers which can only be tiers 2-3. Right now it doesn't seem like people play fleet battles with the higher tiers so it's definitely worth keeping tier 3 & 4 ships.

The only reason to keep tier 1 ships is because I thought those all-destroyer battles were a lot of fun, especially since most of the people are bad and are easy to kill.

Righto, get to 4, keep a selection of fun 3s and a single t1 for seal clubbing like in WoT :)

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
I went through and compressed 2 hours of fleet battle footage into per-battle clips in the event that people who weren't there want to see what they missed out on: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_iRYVNsfJryv-lmrKPsmTABISmUNL8tZ

edit: apparently I don't know how to link properly

dpidz0r fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 28, 2015

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
Applied for fleet as Tom Bruise

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm getting tempted to buy the Yubari for better credit/xp income to finance my high tiers, someone please try to talk me out of it. I had a fleet of premium tanks by the time I quit playing World of Tanks and I'm afraid it's going to go the same way for this game.

I have enough free xp to buy the Nevada but only 200,000 silver out of 520,000 needed. I just love the USA battleship line.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Game is pretty fun so far through my first few matches. I've died more times to friendlies than I have enemies, though. :v:

Do you get more slots from anything organically? Starting with 4 (with 3 of them being occupied) and having slots cost 500 gold each afterwards seems... excessive. [EDIT] Oh, you get 3 empty slots to start with, it just rolls them all into one visually. That makes slightly more sense.
Does having an officer applied to a position help anything even if they don't currently have a skill unlocked that affects my position?
If I want to do the Growth Plan thing, is the best choice to just pick up the $13.6 pack?

I've applied to the fleet as Grimhowl.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 29, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Guild is full now.

We need five million total in donations and in tier 5 or 6 you can easily afford one million. Don't forget to use your weekly one hour buffs as that donates free money to the guild.

I will start kicking people who haven't been on for two weeks. The down side of being kicked is you can't rejoin for 7 days. Unless we have room then I don't give a gently caress.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is there a way to make the aiming reticle darker? That bright rear end green gets washed out in the sea. Not a huge deal, but kind of annoying.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

steam\steamapps\common\steel ocean\seagame\config\defaultgame.ini

find _ASColorGreen under [SeaGame.SeaUIFightAiming] and change the hex value

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The most dangerous thing in this whole game is moron pubbies with torpedoes. Timed a run perfectly and went right between 2 South Carolinas with successful torpedoes on both of them only to be faced with a huge screen of friendly fire with no where to turn.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The most dangerous thing in this whole game is moron pubbies with torpedoes. Timed a run perfectly and went right between 2 South Carolinas with successful torpedoes on both of them only to be faced with a huge screen of friendly fire with no where to turn.

What you've discovered is the meta game. Steel Ocean 2: Friendly Fire.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
I've found that torp friendly fire has two components: People who spray the area with torps from 2.5km away while subs and destroyers are trying to close distance, and then people who drive through the middle of a well set up torp run.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

rex rabidorum vires posted:

That's when you're supposed to deep dive. A little bit later if you're not a sub.

Noticed that there was an opening in the Goon fleet. Applied as a MeatGrinder. Got to T4 with DDs and SSs in 3 days, BBs to T3. Really tired of pubbies on my team.

Meat_Grinder fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 29, 2015

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Applied to the goon fleet as Sarmhan-

How do the different sub lines compare anyway?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Meat_Grinder posted:

That's when you're supposed to deep dive. A little bit later if you're not a sub.

Noticed that there was an opening in the Goon fleet. Applied as a MeatGrinder. Got to T4 with DDs and SSs in 3 days, BBs to T3. Really tired of pubbies on my team.

Was in the Farragut and dumped torps out both sides. It was great until I got pubbie'd. Applied to goons as Crazedkid103.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015
Japanese are Damage and Recon, their T4 have 8 frontal tubes vs everyone else's 4. They also get a Hyrdroplane. They also have less oxygen consumption during diving.

US are all about armor and hit points.

German are all about speed and maneuverability.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Meat_Grinder posted:

Japanese are Damage and Recon, their T4 have 8 frontal tubes vs everyone else's 4. They also get a Hyrdroplane. They also have less oxygen consumption during diving.

US are all about armor and hit points.

German are all about speed and maneuverability.

One important thing is size, too. Japanese subs are huge, while U-boats are tiny. Size matters a lot in this game.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

Panzeh posted:

One important thing is size, too. Japanese subs are huge, while U-boats are tiny. Size matters a lot in this game.

True that, I can actually dodge enemy point blank (closest armed) torpedoes in my T4 German sub.

Griz
May 21, 2001

also Japanese subs don't have rear torps on anything past tier 3 which makes them much easier to safely depth charge.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Third World Reggin posted:

steam\steamapps\common\steel ocean\seagame\config\defaultgame.ini

find _ASColorGreen under [SeaGame.SeaUIFightAiming] and change the hex value

Thank you for this, works like a charm.

Subs are super fun in this game so far, though I've only played the low tier Japanese. Working on unlocking the uboats too.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Subs are super fun in this game so far, though I've only played the low tier Japanese. Working on unlocking the uboats too.
I have japanese subs up to 3 and germans up to 4. The japanese subs seem really OP at low tiers, but at higher tiers speed and maneuverability seems more important than having 8 frontal torpedo launchers. In my experience playing other ships at higher tiers, it's just too easy to corner a big slow sub with a competent destroyer and enough random teammates taking the occasional potshot at it to keep it submerged.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Today my Cachalot Tier 4 American Submarine killed a Wyoming and then chased off a Kongo from the cap point via torpedoes and a complimentary deck gun round to the butt. I then sat for three minutes and solo captured, winning the game by a slim margin.

And that's how I unlocked the Perch Tier 5 American Submarine!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Having 6 or 8 frontal torpedoes gives you enough to space them out for a continuous volley, or a wide enough spread to gently caress most agile subs.

But I would still rather be an Auschwitz sub like the germans. Late tier the american subs go on a diet and the german fitness camp ends so they are roughly the same size.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I play german subs because for me they are the best looking and most iconic subs. No other reason.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

I got to play a Fubuki as the only destroyer on my team, on a favorable map, with passive players on both teams. The only enemy scouts picked the same side of the map as I did, and died right away.
It was a good triple.

Michaellaneous posted:

I play german subs because for me they are the best looking and most iconic subs. No other reason.

Way to ignore the Gato class submarines :911:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The gato class looks german af tho.

Also the american made the sugarboat so all their submarines have been tainted forever, sorry.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

American submarines have ice cream machines what do the nazis have that can beat that? Besides (mostly) working torpedoes? :911:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought that the American Torpedoes == Bad was a bit of hyperbole. After reading about a bunch of various iconic naval battles I can't help but laugh and cry at the same time. They truly had some horrendous issues, the biggest one being not going boom when they should have.

Too bad this game doesn't model that ;).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If it modeled how lovely American Torpedoes are, it'd also have to model Japanese Subs/Destroyers/Cruisers exploding into fireballs the first time someone scores a crit on their (pure oxygen fueled) torpedo launchers. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 30, 2015

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If it modeled how lovely American Torpedoes are, it'd also have to model Japanese Subs/Destroyers/Cruisers exploding into fireballs the first time someone scores a crit on their (pure oxygen fueled) torpedo launchers. :v:

And Japanese Carriers constantly being on fire because someone decided to try and get rid of AVGas by pumping it through the ship ventilation.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Or keeping fuel lines full and ready for action (fire).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015
Murican torps could just have a constantly varying arming time/length, between say 150 and 500 m, randomly and quickly going up or down.

• Locked thread