Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

This season is already one of the best. If it keeps up like this, I'm going to miss it even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
That was fantastic. Cringy and fantastic.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I love how Mark completely disintegrated with one small, inoffensive phone call. One second hes going along with Jez's idea and the second hes having a full mental breakdown.

Loved the reference to the "thats all ancient history now" gag from the Darty episode back in series two as well. Thats probably my favourite Peep Show moment of all time.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

rear end cobra posted:

Cringy and fantastic.

Yep, I felt like it might get too cringey for a bit (Jez trying to prove he's clever does that), but the absurd ending really pulled it round. Loved it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Great episode. Some proper classic farce comedy there.

Mark should have just ordered a takeaway and said the oven's hosed, but I don't watch this show for sensible solutions to problems.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
This episode was amazing. There were parts were I was yelling at Mark.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
That first scene in particular was loving masterful.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Drawing on the cheese with the marker pen is what got me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I love how Mark completely disintegrated with one small, inoffensive phone call. One second hes going along with Jez's idea and the second hes having a full mental breakdown.
That's also when the episode started to go off the rails/all-out awesome.

One thing that got me was the "don't cross the streams" reference when they already referred to Ghostbusters before. It's the little things.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

thought it escalated far too quickly, which meant i was questioning the situation rater than just going with it.
cold calculating Mark before any panic sets in would have realised he'd need to prepare enough food for the fictitious party so April wouldn't twig that there never were any other guests. he'd probably even put thought into what's going to keep best for two days of eating leftovers.
and why was there no booze in the flat? Jeremy lives there.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Great loving episode. Marks eye shadow cracked me the gently caress up. I can't wait to see the Threeism moving forward.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I had to pause it to laugh after "Mark, stop literally rubbing your hands" because it took me so off-guard.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Cerv posted:

thought it escalated far too quickly, which meant i was questioning the situation rater than just going with it.
cold calculating Mark before any panic sets in would have realised he'd need to prepare enough food for the fictitious party so April wouldn't twig that there never were any other guests. he'd probably even put thought into what's going to keep best for two days of eating leftovers.

I think we often forget that Mark is not a cold and calculating criminal mastermind, but an arrogant moron.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Episode one was pretty drat bad, episode two was great and this one was... Okay. Statistically, three episodes in this is already one of the weakest seasons. I really hope the episodes pick up because it would be a real shame if they had eight fantastic seasons only o drop the ball now.

The unfortunate trend I'm noticing this season is that some of the characters more prominent traits are kind of... being exaggerated a little. This felt really bad with Superhans in the first episode and Mark is a bit more on the cartoonish side now. I know the characters are already pretty silly, but a few times this season it's just felt like they're pulling all the sliders up to 10.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
They've been caricatures of the initial characters for years and years now. The genius of the show in the early seasons was how realistic it seemed, now it's almost always preposterous but oh well it's still really good and I've enjoyed all three episodes so far this season.

Also I quite like seeing the blast from the past characters like April again. Sophie's brother getting an appearance would be amazing.

I hope it ends with Mark getting April and something horrible happening to Jeremy. Probably they will both end up miserable and alone apart from each other though, that would be the most fitting and it's why the wedding episode would have been the perfect end for the show.

Lot 49 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 26, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I think the screen going black when mark gets his eyes drawn on is one of the few times they've actually utilised the POV format for sight gags, it doesent happen all that often.

Also every time a new season comes out I think its not as good as it used to be but if I go back and watch it I think the series has been pretty consistant.

The only point I felt like it really dropped the ball was when mark finally got with Dobby because it felt like the writers didn't know what to do with her when Mark finally had her, there are times she seemed to develop a severe amnesia going back to him whenever the plot demanded it despite how obviously awful he was every single episode. Mark realising that they actually weren't suited at all is really the most logical place for it to end.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

The thing is I don't think the characters became more exaggerated, just the situations they were in. Researching the series I think season 2 mark and season 7 mark are the same people, it's just that now they have to break into offices and eat dogs. The first episode of this season though it actually felt a bit like peep show fan fiction.

When I watch the show though, I think the entire series except maybe the first is consistent. I genuinely don't think I can name a season that's standout better than any other.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cerv posted:

Yea....I liked it a lot but it did go a bit mental. I totally agree with Mark going mad and throwing any old poo poo in there though, he wouldn't have ordered a takeaway.

This situation is no sillier than Mummy though. I've rewatched it all pretty recently and there's really nothing here that's sillier than anything else. I mean even with April he chases her to university! And that's series 2.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I've been a massive Peep Show and Mitchell & Webb (as a comedy/sketch duo (That...Look/Sound), as individual artists, etc.) fan since I first came across the shows/them on Netflix nearly, like, eight years ago. I get that that's not the longest time nor from the beginning, but being that I'm in the US Deep South it's been an almost-alienating interest. poo poo, even my four or five British friends have only heard of the show, at best (typically via a viewing recommendation, which rarely seem to work).

In general, I'd agree last season was the weakest so far, but also want to echo the sentiment that that paintball/plinking episode was fan-loving-tastic. The show has a great cast (Matt King, Olivia Colman and Paterson Joseph in the only role I've ever really enjoyed from him) and absolutely inspired writing.

As for That Mitchell and Webb Look, I have a lot of beloved sketches--Sir Digby Chicken Caesar has already been mentioned on page one--but one sketch of theirs I always thought seemed underrated to me is this gem right here. "Everyone knows that children's bodies look better in a white bath, and before you say that sounds weird, I mean alive or dead."

e: All that said, I am still yet to see any of the new series (9). For 8, I pirated them as they aired on Channel 4, but I don't think that's exactly necessary since I just found the aired eps of 9 on YT.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 26, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The wait between the phone call and Jeremy reminding Mark about the eye writing was genius. It felt almost certain that Mark would forget, but they turned it around and made it even funnier.

Solid series so far.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mark turning around and thinking 'last blink of the evening! Enjoy it' was just the best.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Mark reminded me of the little boy from Belleville Rendevous even more than normal in this episode.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The show has always been pretty inconsistent. That said, the highs in this season seem on-par and perhaps occur more often than the last 2 or 3.
I'm going to miss it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I had to pause it to laugh after "Mark, stop literally rubbing your hands" because it took me so off-guard.

It caught me off guard too, but my God was that funny. Also really enjoyed the callback to April from series 2. I had to rewatch that episode because it had been awhile since I had seen it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I don't think any other show has made me laugh as consistently as this one. It kills me that I don't have friends that watch it. Trying to sell it always fails miserably. "it's about two terrible people who live together, gently caress each other over constantly but are totally co-dependent, told from the perspective of POV shots..and it makes shows like it's always sunny and you're the worst look like a light hearted disney affair"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

I don't think any other show has made me laugh as consistently as this one. It kills me that I don't have friends that watch it. Trying to sell it always fails miserably. "it's about two terrible people who live together, gently caress each other over constantly but are totally co-dependent, told from the perspective of POV shots..and it makes shows like it's always sunny and you're the worst look like a light hearted disney affair"

Selling it as a "british Always Sunny" would work. I mean that is assuming Always Sunny is popular enough in the US that people have actually heard of it.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
This was a weird episode. Watching it, it was like the critical/analysis part of my brain kept telling me "this isn't a very good episode, the jokes are kind of stretched," but that was mostly drowned out by the other part of my brain that couldn't stop laughing.

All in all, a solid episode and the perfect thing for Thanksgiving day drinking earlier today.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I wonder if they tried to get Peter Capaldi back to play the professor from that same episode as April's husband. He did look a bit like him.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I loved mark laughing about Jez drawing on him but still backing away in fear half grimacing through it.

I do wonder whether this loan will bite them soon, after all didn't Mark give his name as a landlord?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Oh man that last episode was great. Especially after too much holiday saccharine for me... nothing like the good old fashioned debauchery of Mark and Jez.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I started randomly jumping around episodes and it's nice that the conversation about the eyelid message is basically identical to the conversation about the Hitler moustache when Mark was putting on his skit about the JLB downsizing in season 6. "Hitler me, Jez."

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

That got an honest to god belly laugh from me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Emerson Cod posted:

I wonder if they tried to get Peter Capaldi back to play the professor from that same episode as April's husband. He did look a bit like him.

I did expect that when she was married but it would have been a bit strange if he'd married a pupil. I also thought she might be married to a woman but I guess they did that joke already with Elena.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Goddamn what a magnificent show.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

I loved mark laughing about Jez drawing on him but still backing away in fear half grimacing through it.
I felt what Mark was experiencing there was what drew him to Jez at university.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 27, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

h_double posted:

I started randomly jumping around episodes and it's nice that the conversation about the eyelid message is basically identical to the conversation about the Hitler moustache when Mark was putting on his skit about the JLB downsizing in season 6. "Hitler me, Jez."

"I'm becoming the Führer. The Führer of Laughs."

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Well?

Did Jesus have a cat?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Jez congratulating himself on creating more work for himself as a life coach by screwing with the lives of each member of the couple got a pretty good cackle from me.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Jez congratulating himself on creating more work for himself as a life coach by screwing with the lives of each member of the couple got a pretty good cackle from me.

O man that whole scene was really funny. I thought everything after the girlfriend got to the apartment was great. I really hope we get to see Jez's threeism explode horribly. Jez as a life coach is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jeremy has what it takes to be a successful cult leader. Success could mean everyone dying, mind.

• Locked thread