Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

I think they need to clarify the whole "No ship is obsolete" thing 'cause as far as the Brown Sea is confirmed it means all combat ships should be side grades of the Sidewinder.

It is disappointing to have 300 Million in the bank and still spend all my playtime in an Asp or Cobra.

If you have that much money I suggest the big brother of the Cobra: The Python is a nice ship capable of doing anything and it's still as maneuverable as an Asp.

Right now I had my Python reconfigured from my 160t Rogue Trader fit to a 208t trading fit for community goals, but of course no goals are running right now, so I wasted my time. :suicide:

I'll probably refit it back today, 208 tons of cargo drop my jump range far below what I'm comfortable with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a way to hide the cursor? I'm playing exclusively with a controller and every time I enter a station the cursor sits in the middle of the screen.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

jaffyjaffy posted:

Picked this up in the sale after a few friends convinced me. It reminds me of X3 without all of the empire building stuff I never bothered to do in X3, which is a good thing. Much like X3 I got into the game (even after reading both OPs and watching the tutorial videos) with that wondeful overwhelming feeling of a space game.

I suppose early on I should just stick with space trucker missions until I get something that isn't the SIdewinder? I got interdicted by a Python earlier and probably would've died horribly if I didn't have a wing with me. The Viper sounds great since BnZ is hilariously fun to do in WT, so if that translates to Elite then I'll probably make a beeline for that.

If you can get courier/cargo transfer missions on your little SIdewinder, that's a fair way of making a bit of money for your next ship. A more entertaining way is to get yourself a buddy or two and go hunting in an RES - you can locate and scan pirate NPCs, who'll give you bounty vouchers when you get them down. A basic Sidewinder can't handle the bigger ships but things like other Sideys, maybe Eagles or even CObras can be manageable - especially if you have wingmen.

As for your next ship, well, that depends on what kind of a gamestyle is your thing.

If you want to shoot at people, the two next logical ships are the Eagle and Viper or the Diamondback Scout - the Eagle is a fast cheap agile interceptor, the Viper a heavy fighter that's a bit clumsier but a lot faster and with better guns. The Viper and DB-S have equivalent gun mounts, the Viper is a bit cheaper and faster, but doesn't turn quite as sharply and tends to have issues with its power systems and frameshift drive. Personally I loved flying all three. The 'big boy' dedicated fighter ship is the Vulture - relatively speaking a lot more expensive at 5M base, it's essentially a huge slab of armor with two bigass thrusters on one end, a pair of giant guns on the other, and an absurd shield generator. Ridiculously maneuverable for something its toughness, too.

Meanwhile, pure trading isn't the most exciting thing, but it makes a solid steady income if you can find a nice trade route. The Hauler is the cheapest trader ship that can carry easily around 16 tons of cargo if you refit it. The two next ships in that vein are actually multipurpose ships - the Adder is a slightly bigger, better armed Hauler, while the CObra is a relatively well-armed light ship (equivalent guns to the Viper and DB-S, if a bit awkwardly positioned) that can be configured for a majority of tasks from combat and light exploration to cargo transport (around 40 tons of it, actually). The next actual dedicated cargo transport is the Lakon Type-6 light transporter at 1,6M or so (and 100 tons of cargo capacity)

The Adder and the Cobra make for solid early game choices if you can't decide what kind of a ship you want to fly, too. Both can be fit to perform admirably in a variety of roles, making for a rather flexible playstyle, and the Cobra in particular is an iconic ship - it's basically the Elite equivalent for the Millennium Falcon.

If you want to explore, you can do that in an adder or Cobra, but for longer ranges you probably want to get yourself into a Diamondback Explorer or an Asp. Both have big fuel tanks and powerful frameshift drives. Furthermore, one of the more important explorer components (an advanced discovery scanner) will cost something on the order of 1,5M by itself, plus about a quarter million for the detailed surface scanner you'll want to make the big bucks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, what kind of sub-500k ship should I be aiming for if I want to do smuggling and exploration primarily? Cobra MK III?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Goddamnit! I said I wasn't going to get this, then it ended up on sale on Steam. Guess I have to get something to control this thing, mouse and keyboard isn't cutting it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To mention some missing ships from that list, there's the Imperial Eagle who is basically a better Eagle you have to run 1-2 rank up missions for the Empire to get and the Imperial Courier, a ship with three medium weapons and an even more ridiculous shield than the Vulture. The IC looks sweet, too and costs only about 1,2 million credits. A nice step up from the smaller combat ships. You can buy one after you reached the Empire-rank of "Master".

On the Federal site you can get the Federal Assault Ship. It has beefy armor which can be made even more beefy and kind of poo poo shields. It's the most agile of the Federal combat ships and can carry around two medium weapons together with its two large ones. It's four times as expensive as the Vulture and needs "Chief Petty Officer" as rank.

The other Federal ships are good if you want to mine or something, but their low agility makes them really lovely combat ships. You could maybe use them if you equip them with turrets to negate this, though.

On the Imperial side the expensive combat option is the Imperial Clipper. It costs about as much as the FAS and you can't land it on outposts, but it has better shields and can do trading runs if you're bored with fighting.

Without doing ranking missions, you're stuck with the Vulture until you can get the Python, which is a whopping 50 million credits for the hull alone, a decent fitting easily doubles that.

Luckily there are some more ships coming, the Viper Mk 4 for example could be a nice lazy options if you put turrets on it (it's less agile than the old Viper, which makes fighting with fixed weapons kind of hard, you need at least gimbals or very good piloting skills). The Asp Scout is kind of expensive for what it can do, but it's essentially a downgraded Asp Explorer made for fighting, for roughly 1/3rd the price.

If you play for long enough, you may have enough money for the three (currently one) largest ships in game, but right now you don't have to worry about them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Also, what kind of sub-500k ship should I be aiming for if I want to do smuggling and exploration primarily? Cobra MK III?

At sub-500k the Cobra is superior. But you should think about changing to a Diamondback Explorer as soon as possible: Less cargo space, but far better for exploration. Also more firepower. :v:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Libluini posted:

On the Imperial side the expensive combat option is the Imperial Clipper. It costs about as much as the FAS and you can't land it on outposts, but it has better shields and can do trading runs if you're bored with fighting.

It's also the ramming ship.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jack Trades posted:

Honestly, no. Buying a ship (any ship) when you're only just over the cost of the hull brings you into "flying space potato" territory where it handles and flies like poo poo. I would say that something like this would be the absolute bare-minimum viable smuggling-cobra build, and exploration isn't even worth talking about until you can afford an A-class FSD (which tacks on about 2 million to the price of a cobra). Until you have that much in the bank, I'd say go with a hauler.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Class 2 scoop, six minutes to fill the tank... I just realised why half you guys watch Netflix while playing. :mmmhmm:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

tooterfish posted:

Class 2 scoop, six minutes to fill the tank... I just realised why half you guys watch Netflix while playing. :mmmhmm:

Netflix and explore, then your wingman gives you those eyes...

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

tooterfish posted:

Class 2 scoop, six minutes to fill the tank...
You should probably buy a bigger scoop.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why is the mission target text always black in a space game?!

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Thronde posted:

Why is the mission target text always black in a space game?!

Because :frontear:.

(It's a bug from the last patch or so, it's supposed to be red)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SpannerX posted:

Goddamnit! I said I wasn't going to get this, then it ended up on sale on Steam. Guess I have to get something to control this thing, mouse and keyboard isn't cutting it.

E: Nevermind, buy both!

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 28, 2015

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Come on people! :siren: Don't buy discount ED on Steam (or anywhere). :siren: Horizons in coming out in a few weeks and it includes normal ED. I can only imagine when you buy the game and than find out you need to pay another 40 eur for Horizons you might feel a little cheated.

Yeah, this is me. I bought ED yesterday on a whim without having any idea about this expansion. Oh well, I can still have a lot of fun with the regular game and buy the expansion a while later.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You get a loyalty discount for Horizons if you already have the base game, so with the current sale it works out costing exactly the same as just buying Horizons and waiting.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

tooterfish posted:

You get a loyalty discount for Horizons if you already have the base game, so with the current sale it works out costing exactly the same as just buying Horizons and waiting.

Heh, I didn't realize that. Than I guess people actually should buy both it and get a Cobra IV.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sekenr posted:

Come on people! :siren: Don't buy discount ED on Steam (or anywhere). :siren: Horizons in coming out in a few weeks and it includes normal ED. I can only imagine when you buy the game and than find out you need to pay another 40 eur for Horizons you might feel a little cheated.

For the record: the discounted base game triggers the “loyalty discount” on Horizons.

So if you buy Horizons now for full price (it’s not on sale and probably won’t be for quite awhile), you have to wait to play.

If you pay for the base game now and then buy Horizons, you pay the same total cost as above but you can play today.

efb

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Not only does getting E:D on sale get you the discount on Horizons which makes it work out to the same price, you get all the loyalty rewards when Horizons launches. The ability to purchase a Cobra mkIV and midnight black paint for every ship in the game.

Means getting it that way might be preferable to you if you're very interested in this spacegame. Horizons is not coming out for a few weeks so you get time to try regular E:D then get Horizons later with the discount and the extra fluff.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 28, 2015

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

When did they change gravitational pull formula and/or behaviour? I just logged in to rush back to the bubble, sell my data and wait for Horizon to drop and every jump I make I can barely complete the scan before I'm sucked in the next red giant mothafucka I'm onto

:staredog: :frontear:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Space Skeleton posted:

Not only does getting E:D on sale get you the discount on Horizons which makes it work out to the same price, you get all the loyalty rewards when Horizons launches. A free Cobra mkIV and midnight black paint for every ship in the game.

I've seen this "free" claim brought up here a couple times now. Unless something has changed, I believe they just said that you unlock it to buy in-game via the loyalty program, not that they were giving you one? :confused:

EDIT: yeah, via the Horizons pre-order page

quote:

Those who take advantage of this offer will be able to purchase the Cobra MkIV in-game when Elite Dangerous: Horizons lands.

Emphasis mine, just to nip some tears in the bud here.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 28, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Oh yeah whoops, you get the ability to purchase the new Cobra. I knew that, I swear! Just had like a brain malfunction when people were talking about it earlier.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

When did they change gravitational pull formula and/or behaviour? I just logged in to rush back to the bubble, sell my data and wait for Horizon to drop and every jump I make I can barely complete the scan before I'm sucked in the next red giant mothafucka I'm onto

:staredog: :frontear:

Considering the shitload of jumps I made last week, either this change has been made literally today or you're just really, really unlucky.

I noticed no difference, is what I'm getting at. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

Emphasis mine, just to nip some tears in the bud here.

Want to make a bet how many people will still make tear-filled posts about this after Horizons goes live? :v:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Libluini posted:

Want to make a bet how many people will still make tear-filled posts about this after Horizons goes live? :v:

I'll queue up a couple of these, just to save them time:

:frontear: :frontear: :frontear:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

I'll queue up a couple of these, just to save them time:

Of course I don't care what the fabled brown sea of the official forum will do, since it's always filled to the brim with dumb poo poo. But I swear if people will be dumb over this on SA I'll post sweet screenshots of my new Cobra IV every time just to pour salt into their wounds.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Libluini posted:

There's going to be a shitstorm no matter what happens.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

Of course I don't care what the fabled brown sea of the official forum will do, since it's always filled to the brim with dumb poo poo. But I swear if people will be dumb over this on SA I'll post sweet screenshots of my new Cobra IV every time just to pour salt into their wounds.

Yeah I keep saying "free" because I'm lazy and it's easier than saying "made available to purchase" every time. And come on now, a Cobra 3 is like 400k hull, that's like pocket change anyways, you're basically getting a free hull that you have to pay sales tax on. :v:

Of course that said, what will tick me off is if the IV can't use the III's skins.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

what will tick me off is if the IV can't use the III's skins.

It's got a different model, so... :nallears:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

There's going to be a shitstorm no matter what happens.

Winning move, not to play, etc.

Although unless they ramp up the base price of the MkIV several million dollars, this is not something beyond the grognards most likely to complain it not being free.

But if they didn't complain, they wouldn't be grognards, either. :rolldice:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Libluini posted:

Considering the shitload of jumps I made last week, either this change has been made literally today or you're just really, really unlucky.

I noticed no difference, is what I'm getting at. :shrug:

No wait, seriously? I'm talking of a pretty heavy change, day and night kind of change. I remember that when I jumped in a new system I could just keep throttle to zero and stay quite a lot semi-idle at a distance, say a couple of minutes before I had red alerts from the overheating alarm thing. In that time I used to scan the main star, scan system, check in system view if there were interesting planets, even listen to them sounds.... Now I can barely finish the scan of the main star (how long does it take, 10 sec?) and I'm already burning, everything is blinking red and if I don't pull up I'm dead within seconds. The impression is that they changed the gravitational pull mechanics or they changed the distance from the main star you land once you exit hyperdrive. In both ways this is pretty bad for an explorer, once again :saddowns:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

froody guy posted:

No wait, seriously? I'm talking of a pretty heavy change, day and night kind of change. I remember that when I jumped in a new system I could just keep throttle to zero and stay quite a lot semi-idle at a distance, say a couple of minutes before I had red alerts from the overheating alarm thing. In that time I used to scan the main star, scan system, check in system view if there were interesting planets, even listen to them sounds.... Now I can barely finish the scan of the main star (how long does it take, 10 sec?) and I'm already burning, everything is blinking red and if I don't pull up I'm dead within seconds. The impression is that they changed the gravitational pull mechanics or they changed the distance from the main star you land once you exit hyperdrive. In both ways this is pretty bad for an explorer, once again :saddowns:

We're gonna need to research and confirm this pronto, then. What was the star that did this to you? Was it an orange T-Tauri? I loving hate those

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

froody guy posted:

Nope they didn't change anything. Something wrong with you/your ship.

Been out exploring for the last month and it's all the same as it always was. I can idle at the star at jump in forever, or at least as long as it takes 30 km/s to fly into it.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 28, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

froody guy posted:

I think you just ran into my mother-in-law, sorry.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

show us on the diecast where the star burned you

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

We're gonna need to research and confirm this pronto, then. What was the star that did this to you? Was it an orange T-Tauri? I loving hate those

I logged back in where I left the last time I played cpl of months ago, 8k Ly away from the bubble in the outer rings. I'm heading back and rushing, made about 60 jumps so far and I had to stop scanning the main star because it was getting loving ridiculous to risk the ship every time for a mere 400 credits of a red dwarf but the super-pull happens with all of them. Had yellow, red, giant, dwarf, A type, almost any kind except neutron probably, Jah bless

EDIT: recalibrating the drat throttle fixed the super gravitational pull :shepface:

froody guy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 28, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I've been busy this week so I've only played the tutorials so far. I'm also a big baby that's been too scared to touch the main game yet. Newbie question about controls (360 controller): what's the best preset to use and then tweak? I don't have enough experience to know what shortcuts I need on my controller and which I can get away with leaving on the keyboard. I don't want to start developing muscle memory for one setup and then relearn it down the line.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

I logged back in where I left the last time I played cpl of months ago, 8k Ly away from the bubble in the outer rings. I'm heading back and rushing, made about 60 jumps so far and I had to stop scanning the main star because it was getting loving ridiculous to risk the ship every time for a mere 400 credits of a red dwarf but the super-pull happens with all of them. Had yellow, red, giant, dwarf, A type, almost any kind except neutron probably, Jah bless

EDIT: recalibrating the drat throttle fixed the super gravitational pull :shepface:

Man, gently caress you I had all this super-pro effort post written up over all the possible cases making you burn up and demanding video proof from you and poo poo

and now it was just a bad setting

But seriously, something like that happened to me when I plugged in my own joystick for the first time, my ship was just trying to rotate all the time. This drove me mad until I learned how to set up the dead space or whatever it's called correctly. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

What are the best weapons to use on an Asp Explorer if I want to shoot things in RES with it? I've tried various different setups but nothing seems particularly great.

• Locked thread