Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strong bird
May 12, 2009

Should have invested in the hidden X-RAy perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

I just want a mod that makes Master-locked loot boxes hold things worth taking all those perks for. Getting tired of finding a single radX and a skull in Master-level safes.

A mod to add legendary items to high tier loot boxes might be nice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There should be a mod to make vegetable oil at the cooking station. This seems obvious.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LumberingTroll posted:

As for damage, it might feel that way at low level, but later in the game its going to take you a long time to kill stuff, as things get higher level they get a lot more HP.

I'm hoping this makes taking weapon based perks more necessary, or something. Right now, I'm Codsworth's companion because he's doing the bulk of the work. The hard part is getting a shot in so I get the exp for the kill, because you don't get exp for companion kills in this game for some reason.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kea posted:

Edit; I have had a look, there are (looks like) about a million bushes in sanctuary, tommorow Ill work on removing them all and see what it looks like.

I just need a mod that makes all those weed whackers in the world function. Also brooms.

Arcsquad12 posted:

There should be a mod to make vegetable oil at the cooking station. This seems obvious.

You can make oil at the chemistry station

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Kea posted:

I will see if I can find the references for the bramble bushes (I think they are just called brambles) with a bit of luck I should be able to get rid of them in any settlements where they are endemic. Is it just Sanctuary?

Are they actually objects, or are they tied to the engine's grass system? If it's the latter, we're all pretty much out of luck until GECK time and even then it'd probably be a thing that would be hard or impossible to modify on the fly.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's kind of annoying that settlements don't clean themselves up more when the mechanic already exists in the game. After you reclaim the Minutemen fort, all the mirelurk poo poo gets cleaned out the next time you revisit it (not sure if it's after an ingame day or just whenever you leave the cell). Hopefully that means a similar mechanic could be implemented for other settlements in a mod someday.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cicadalek posted:

It's kind of annoying that settlements don't clean themselves up more when the mechanic already exists in the game. After you reclaim the Minutemen fort, all the mirelurk poo poo gets cleaned out the next time you revisit it (not sure if it's after an ingame day or just whenever you leave the cell). Hopefully that means a similar mechanic could be implemented for other settlements in a mod someday.

Yeah, the Vault 81 room sort of does the same thing magically changing from a storage room

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

are there any tutorials for doing texture replacement mods or the like i'm bored as hell and sick of no samus aran power armor textures

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kea posted:

Not sure if this is possible yet, depends how its been done in other games, if theres a skyrim version theres a small chance it could be ported to fallout 4. Either way mod ideas are always good.
The mod that did that for Skyrim was Jaxonz Positioner.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any chance modders will be able to port mods from Skyrim with a few tweaks to the code? Some stuff like Civil War and Better Dragons would be sweet

also magic and swords

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Cicadalek posted:

Hilariously for me the Castle retained a big glob of Mirelurk goo from the queen which stuck around permanently. I eventually just disabled it via console because it was right in front of my bar's entrance which can't be good for business. Also a corpse of one of the Minutemen stuck around but I just stripped him naked and dumped him over the wall as a warning or whatever. He's still there 30ish levels later.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Seems pretty arbitrary which things disappear and which stick around forever, had to manually clean the ghoul corpses out of sunshine coop today, one was strewn across a dining table in one of the houses :zombie:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'Indoor' cells reset themselves, or spawn different version to remove or change things. This is why the family fallout in the middle of Diamond City is it's own unique instance and how the Vault 81 room goes from dusty closet to home.

I don't think it's possible in outdoor areas without changing the entire grid and even if it were, it's well beyond the tools available at the moment.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Sonofsilversign posted:

Seems pretty arbitrary which things disappear and which stick around forever, had to manually clean the ghoul corpses out of sunshine coop today, one was strewn across a dining table in one of the houses :zombie:

I have a feeling the settlement zones are safer spaces than outside of them for object permanence, not certain though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

jfood posted:

'Indoor' cells reset themselves, or spawn different version to remove or change things. This is why the family fallout in the middle of Diamond City is it's own unique instance and how the Vault 81 room goes from dusty closet to home.

I don't think it's possible in outdoor areas without changing the entire grid and even if it were, it's well beyond the tools available at the moment.

Oh, that makes sense. Also explains the physics explosions in Skyrim houses due to things spawning almost inside each other.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Would it be a bad idea to use both Arbitration and Iron Rose's Weapon Damage Overhaul mods? I figure they don't conflict, but would the changes to ammo capacity/damage be too much with the 2.5x/5x damage multipliers?

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

Syndlig posted:

Would it be a bad idea to use both Arbitration and Iron Rose's Weapon Damage Overhaul mods? I figure they don't conflict, but would the changes to ammo capacity/damage be too much with the 2.5x/5x damage multipliers?

I'm using both of them and it's working pretty well so far. Spec'd for Commando but I got the Deliverance pistol and I'm still wrecking enemies. I get one hit pretty often tho, usually from hunting rifles or combat rifles.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

jfood posted:

That's a a rather poor and somewhat inaccurate description of what is going on behind the scenes.

By default, every cell will reset after being left alone for a period of time, including outdoor cells. The usual numbers are either 3 days or 3 weeks depending on the area and whether or not it's been 'cleared', but I might be mistaken (usually I don't worry about it). When a reset is triggered, objects that were moved are returned to their original positions, consumables like food respawn, corpses are deleted, containers reset, etc.

Whoever is designing the level can also flag areas and objects to skip most of the normal cleanup process. This is how you have your personal safe storage in otherwise unsafe areas, for example. Corpses are usually removed as part of a cell reset, but sometimes it's important they remain - maybe the player walked in the door and noped back out before finding the vital quest clue on the corpse, or walked by the area without stepping into the ruined building where your background exposition set piece is. So you flag the corpse to ignore resets, and the corpse will persist for the player to find later.

"Changing" areas is extremely simple, though possibly tedious. The engine allows for hidden objects - that is to say, objects that exist, but are not rendered and are otherwise non-corporeal. When cleaning up the Mirelurk crap around The Castle, it's basically flipping a switch to hide everything. Being assigned a room in Vault 81 is toggling the visibility of the old closet and swapping in the bedroom stuff at the same time. It's the difference between using 'disable' and 'markfordelete': one command tells the engine to stop rendering this object, while the other tells the engine to remove this object from existence permanently.

The short of it though is that any instance where something persists and never gets cleaned up, it's because someone at Bethesda was negligent or decided that's how it should be, sometimes both. It makes sense that the former residents of Covenant stick around because there's a quest that involves them, but they obviously serve no further purpose after the quest is completed; unfortunately, there does not appear to be any scripts in place to remove that quest flag so that their bodies would be removed during the regular cleanup cycle.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

isndl posted:

It makes sense that the former residents of Covenant stick around because there's a quest that involves them, but they obviously serve no further purpose after the quest is completed; unfortunately, there does not appear to be any scripts in place to remove that quest flag so that their bodies would be removed during the regular cleanup cycle.

Their bodies should never be removed because they serve as a warning to others. :black101:

isndl
May 2, 2012

duckfarts posted:

Their bodies should never be removed because they serve as a warning to others. :black101:

Hey, there are people who would rather live in a neat and tidy settlement. Some of those poor bastards have to carry the bodies outside bit by bit because they exploded as a result of Bloody Mess.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

isndl posted:

Hey, there are people who would rather live in a neat and tidy settlement. Some of those poor bastards have to carry the bodies outside bit by bit because they exploded as a result of Bloody Mess.

:lol: at a person with OCD getting the bloody mess perk

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

duckfarts posted:

:lol: at a person with OCD getting the bloody mess perk

I actually wish I could have the bloody mess perk, but it not make people explode, Ive never liked the gibbing in these games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't know why you'd want to spend a whole levelup on just 5% more damage though. That's an incredibly trivial amount by itself.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't know why you'd want to spend a whole levelup on just 5% more damage though. That's an incredibly trivial amount by itself.

It's a decent filler perk for those levels where you have nothing else you want. The requirements are low and it applies to all weapons.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I don't own this game yet, but someone showed me this mod, and I thought it might be worth a look.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2395/

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Getting caught up on this thread and didn't see anyone mentioning what is one of my favorite 'that poo poo is annoying' fixes we always get in these early days of modding.

Faster Terminal Displays
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/937/
It does what it says on the tin. Speeds up the rate the game throws text up on terminals, making using them much more snappy and responsive.

In the continued spirit of fixing annoying niggles, I just put together a mod that removes Pipe weapons from safes and containers that are labeled 'Prewar' in the game files.

Pre War Safes
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3306
I mean, why the gently caress is the chief of police or the local businessman storing some cobbled together pipe weapon in his locked safe from before the war rather than a proper store bought weapon?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

TerminalBlue posted:

Are they actually objects, or are they tied to the engine's grass system? If it's the latter, we're all pretty much out of luck until GECK time and even then it'd probably be a thing that would be hard or impossible to modify on the fly.

As far as I can tell they are physically placed objects, going to look at it later and remove what I can and see what the result is like.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'd like to tear down all the houses in Sanctuary. Or at least fix them up. You've been there for months, damnit. Fix the loving hole in the roof.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'd like to tear down all the houses in Sanctuary. Or at least fix them up. You've been there for months, damnit. Fix the loving hole in the roof.

Removing the houses is definately possible, the issue right now is there's such limited editors that It cant be seamlessly integrated into the game. Basically making a mod that when put in your load order just flat out removes them is easy, making it an option ingame is not.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Kea posted:

Removing the houses is definately possible, the issue right now is there's such limited editors that It cant be seamlessly integrated into the game. Basically making a mod that when put in your load order just flat out removes them is easy, making it an option ingame is not.

I'd actually be okay with the houses just disappearing and leaving all their scrapable loot just floating there. It'd be an ugly hack of a thing for sure. But it'd be nice to just have all those empty foundations to work with.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Amstrad posted:

I'd actually be okay with the houses just disappearing and leaving all their scrapable loot just floating there. It'd be an ugly hack of a thing for sure. But it'd be nice to just have all those empty foundations to work with.

I have a plugin that more or less does this allready, just have to sort out the floating stuff that cantbe workshopped away (wall decorations like the halloween decals etc)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'd be totally cool with that.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'd be totally cool with that.

Sure thing, will take a while, a lot of this is guesswork right now without a visualiser.

Edit: Bad news, some of the placed objects are referenced in a way that isn't currently supported in tesVEdit so they cant be change, this basically means that half of the stuff cant be moved at all just yet, will be just putting this on hold until it is updated.

Kea fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 28, 2015

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I got FO4Edit set up and did some stuff like edit the PC damage bonus in Arbitration back down. Now I want to make my melee weapons not stupid small, but there doesn't seem to be a scale setting. Is it one of the unknowns or is weapon size not easily moddable?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
You know what would be cool?™ Hatchets and pickaxes. Attack a tree and gain wood. Attack a mountain and gain steel.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Zodium posted:

I got FO4Edit set up and did some stuff like edit the PC damage bonus in Arbitration back down. Now I want to make my melee weapons not stupid small, but there doesn't seem to be a scale setting. Is it one of the unknowns or is weapon size not easily moddable?

This is something that would involve editing meshes. If there's a version of NifSkope working for Fallout 4 and we have a compatible BSA unpacker that sort of mod would be simple.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Amstrad posted:

This is something that would involve editing meshes. If there's a version of NifSkope working for Fallout 4 and we have a compatible BSA unpacker that sort of mod would be simple.

Simple how? It looks like there's very early FO4 support for NifSkope, whatever that means, and a Larger Revolutionary Swords mod, meaning it must be possible somehow, but I don't know where to start beyond fiddling with FO4Edit parameters right now. :shrug:

Edit: BSA unpacker, for my own convenience.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 28, 2015

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mod to unlock all hairstyles from the start:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3028/

And one for scrapping more poo poo in settlements, probably helpful for those complaining about leftover trash:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3184/

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Megaton hairstyle is the best.

• Locked thread