Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I found Ezri Dax to be insufferable, but I do agree with other people that I hated Jadzia at first but she kind of grew on me as the show went on (and repeated watches), that was never so with Ezri. Between the way Sisko ends up and Ezri Dax, I usually just skip season 7, the only good thing about Season 7 is watching Gul Dukat turn himself into a Bajoran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Syfe posted:

I found Ezri Dax to be insufferable, but I do agree with other people that I hated Jadzia at first but she kind of grew on me as the show went on (and repeated watches), that was never so with Ezri. Between the way Sisko ends up and Ezri Dax, I usually just skip season 7, the only good thing about Season 7 is watching Gul Dukat turn himself into a Bajoran.

What?

The miniseries that is the last dozen or so episodes is amazing. Even with space demons.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Ezri is indeed terrible, her character seems to have actual relatable emotions and therefore does not fit Roddenberry's vision

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Hot drat the grey streaks in her hair are just :swoon:

But to be honest it really makes tons of sense that she left DS9 to do Becker. There was only one season left on Start Truck but Becker just miiiiiiiight have been the next Frasier and in any event didn't she end up with four more years of a steady network job?

And Ezri was really cool. Even cooler would have been if Dax had been like 3-4 different people over the course of the series.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

just saw the inner light for the first time

it's all downhill from now on right? nothing is gonna top that episode

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Correct.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Asiina posted:

Correct.

i'm just happy i still have DS9 to watch after i finish TNG

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

ThePutty posted:

just saw the inner light for the first time

it's all downhill from now on right? nothing is gonna top that episode

Wait for Deep Space Nine's "The Visitor"

"To my father, who's coming home"

:suicide:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Don't forget Voyager!

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

Don't forget Voyager!

i'm not going that far

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My getting wicked drunk and passing out on the couch combo is "The Inner Light", "Visitor", and fall asleep in the middle of "All Good Things". Occasionally I will switch out "All Good Things" for "Time's Arrow" to add a little Samuel Clemens levity to the situation.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My getting wicked drunk and passing out on the couch combo is "The Inner Light", "Visitor", and fall asleep in the middle of "All Good Things". Occasionally I will switch out "All Good Things" for "Time's Arrow" to add a little Samuel Clemens levity to the situation.

Jeez surely you'd get startled awake every ten minutes watching Time's Arrow. What with Samuel Clemens shrieking nonsensically from the TV anytime he appears in a doorway or pops out of a closet.

"MADAM GUINAN!"

*Weird shrill hooting*

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Figaro posted:

Jeez surely you'd get startled awake every ten minutes watching Time's Arrow. What with Samuel Clemens shrieking nonsensically from the TV anytime he appears in a doorway or pops out of a closet.

"MADAM GUINAN!"

*Weird shrill hooting*

Star Trek is the only source that correctly reports that Samuel Clemens was a rare half-human, half-rooster hybrid, that loved to be enclosed in small spaces.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Figaro posted:

*Weird shrill hooting*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCW9xmamzQ

Yes, mhm... woo hah!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

It's like Geordi asked the computer; "Computer create a character that will irritate the poo poo out of the audience"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Without Ezri we wouldn't get the scene where Garak rips her apart, which is a great scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Adm5SNv0Q

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Uhh okay I looked for Jadzia Dax videos on youtube and it got really retarded really fast, but here's the best example I could dig up with minimal effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4OpNWjaI5w

Okay, Worf and Jadzia get married. Now, Granted, this scene is really about the loud lady telling her wedding story, but watch Jadzia. She's the fuckin' bride. She walks in with Airline Stewardess Smile #5 on her face and it just never slips. She's a cardboard cutout. Everyone else who gets some face time in the video does something.

Maybe it's a bad example, I dunno. I can't find much else I can post here and I don't think a simulcast goon criticism jaunt is a good idea but she sucks in this scene and it's not a completely lovely scene.

Galaxy Pig
Dec 20, 2012
Darmok, and Jilad, at Tenagra.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Tujague posted:

Uhh okay I looked for Jadzia Dax videos on youtube and it got really retarded really fast, but here's the best example I could dig up with minimal effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4OpNWjaI5w

Okay, Worf and Jadzia get married. Now, Granted, this scene is really about the loud lady telling her wedding story, but watch Jadzia. She's the fuckin' bride. She walks in with Airline Stewardess Smile #5 on her face and it just never slips. She's a cardboard cutout. Everyone else who gets some face time in the video does something.

Maybe it's a bad example, I dunno. I can't find much else I can post here and I don't think a simulcast goon criticism jaunt is a good idea but she sucks in this scene and it's not a completely lovely scene.

Well yeah but that's the final scene of the episode and she'd spent the greater part of the previous 44 minutes; arguing with Worf, arguing with Sirella (Mistress of the House of Martok), having a wild party, dancing with Nog, hungover and getting dressed down by Sisko.

It's made clear in the dialogue that Jadzia realises, that while the marriage and bond that she shares with Worf is important to both of them, the wedding ceremony itself is only really important to Worf because Dax has been a bride and a groom several times already and has grown bored of ceremony. So in a twist in the old rom com formula, where it's always the bride that's getting excited about the wedding ceremony, it's actually Worf who's planned, envisioned and dreamed of his wedding day since he was a little boy. Jadzia loves Worf so she plasters a beatific smile onto her face and walks down the aisle to the man she loves. Ready to make a commitment to be his Par'Mach'kai forever. Awww

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Figaro posted:

forever.

Jokes on her. Or him. Or someone.

Probably Miles.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

yeah thanks I've seen the episode her acting sucks

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

On the night that this was first broadcast, I couldn't help but imagine the writers' room discussion:

:v: "So... um... we're all aware that there are going to be like a thousand nerd weddings, probably at conventions or something, that follow whatever the gently caress we come up with here, word for word, right? Because... I mean... gently caress."

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

She's certainly not the strongest actor of the cast but I've always thought that once the writers decided what exactly her character was about around mid season 2, that she portrayed Jadzia Dax fairly well. Also I like that the character is sort of amiable and pleasant, you need that when the rest of the cast consist of intense characters like an ex-terrorist with PTSD, a changling outcast, a Klingon outcast, genetically engineered outcast etc

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Figaro posted:

Well yeah but that's the final scene of the episode and she'd spent the greater part of the previous 44 minutes; arguing with Worf, arguing with Sirella (Mistress of the House of Martok), having a wild party, dancing with Nog, hungover and getting dressed down by Sisko.

It's made clear in the dialogue that Jadzia realises, that while the marriage and bond that she shares with Worf is important to both of them, the wedding ceremony itself is only really important to Worf because Dax has been a bride and a groom several times already and has grown bored of ceremony. So in a twist in the old rom com formula, where it's always the bride that's getting excited about the wedding ceremony, it's actually Worf who's planned, envisioned and dreamed of his wedding day since he was a little boy. Jadzia loves Worf so she plasters a beatific smile onto her face and walks down the aisle to the man she loves. Ready to make a commitment to be his Par'Mach'kai forever. Awww

Yeah, that stupid dance she does with Nog in that episode makes up for a lot of dumb poo poo in my mind.

Jadzia isn't that well liked because the writers didn't know what the gently caress, and associated her with most of the worst story lines in DS9.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

ThePutty posted:

i'm not going that far

Just you wait, it'll happen.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
M'lady

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Galaxy Pig posted:

Darmok, and Jilad, at Tenagra.

Jadzia and transparent head guy, at Deep Space Nine.

Julian, outside Jadzia's door.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
jadzia was "fine, whatever" but yeah the character always felt like it was 3/4ths where it should have been at characterization- n writing-wise. the worf relationship stuff definitely did a lot for her character and the two played off each other very well, nothing like worf and troi on tng which was just boring and flat. ezri's surprisingly solid and interesting despite only having one season, i really would have liked to see where she would have gone if farrell ahd jumped ship a season or two earlier

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

why did they introduce ensign ro in TNG season 5 but hardly ever actually use her? does she do something important later on or something

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Star Trek shows add beautiful monotone women to the cast in sync with the cicada hibernation cycle. It ensures that they cannot be killed off all at once and thus ensures the survival of the species.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ThePutty posted:

why did they introduce ensign ro in TNG season 5 but hardly ever actually use her? does she do something important later on or something

Yes, she gets turned into a kid and learns the true meaning of Christmas by jumping on the bed with Guinan

Real talk it's because TNG is allergic to good or interesting characters not named John Luck Pickerd. In a better show Ro would have been flying the ship from the first episode to the last.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

ThePutty posted:

Their original intent was to have her in the Major Kira role on DS9, but Michelle Forbes turned it down. She did end up getting a couple of good episodes other than the kid one.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

DS9 was going to be Ro's big thing but Michelle Forbes turned down the role.

e: f;b. Check out the cup of coffee she had on BSG maybe, that was pretty good.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also, with the exception of DS9, Trek was never really comfortable with having larger casts. i mean on TNG they went from a main cast of nine at the beginning to seven by the end of fourth season, and i don't think they ever considered adding anyone.

hell, if Gates McFadden hadn't been willing to come back in the third season, it wouldn't have surprised me if the producers just shrugged and said "ehhhhh do we really need a doctor on this show?"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also, with the exception of DS9, Trek was never really comfortable with having larger casts. i mean on TNG they went from a main cast of nine at the beginning to seven by the end of fourth season, and i don't think they ever considered adding anyone.

hell, if Gates McFadden hadn't been willing to come back in the third season, it wouldn't have surprised me if the producers just shrugged and said "ehhhhh do we really need a doctor on this show?"

To be fair, TOS has two and a half main characters, so even that was a pretty big step up

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skasion posted:

To be fair, TOS has two and a half main characters

In the South, they figured it as six and three-fifths main characters.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The joke is that Uhura is black. Well done.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite TNG trivia is how there was a bit part actor who tried to trick his way onto the main cast but hosed up his timing. He got some friends to write a bunch of "fan" letters clamoring for more of his character but they sent them before his first appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Chief Engineer Argyle was not a bit part. He was setup to be the Scotty fan fave and would have been a millionaire darling of the con circuit had he not started his campaign early.

They should have pranked him back and brought him back throughout the rest of the series in terrible non-speaking bit parts that required hours of heavy makeup and left him sweating under the lights.

"Seems here we got a TON OF FANMAIL about your recent role as 'Bleeding Jr Lieutenant in the Grybaxian Army Trapped Under A Plasma Core And Left To Die', we'd love to have you back on, how about something two years from now when we need someone to silently hand something to a diplomat and then be blown up and immersed in a hot slurry of dilithium plasma?"

• Locked thread