Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh god the next 5 days are going to be bat poo poo crazy.

Let's do this industry thread. Hopefully some good stories come out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Man and his dog posted:

I have a story. I'm going on vacation to Florida for the next 5 days. Story over.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not in the hospital world. Apparently holidays are about as dead as weekends for us, and those are pretty slow. And I'll be picking up triple time for the day. Double time for holiday, then spending a PLT day for extra pay.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

We close after lunch today and the day crew gets until next monday off. The night crew has to work friday and saturday and they're going to be destroyed.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have a story. I'm going on vacation to Florida for the next 5 days. Story over.

I have a story as well. I'm going to Costa Rica for ten days on Tuesday. Story over.

:dance:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Does that mean no posting for ten days?

Today I helped some sales rep call in for fancy bourbons. Then did some reports, set up my fantasy football team. Then we'll go to lunch and then go pick out some wine for the weekend.

December is our hectic month though, so, yeah.

Five years ago I'd be getting my rear end kicked now, not going home to see family (Im actually ok with that), then getting my rear end kicked on Friday which was typically one of our busiest days.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
We close to do a ticketed service for the food and housing insecure tomorrow, and I have Friday off.

The first part is a commitment to giving back on the part of the owners. The second one just owns.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I also have a story. Work is closed since the students are all away for the holiday. I have been off since 3pm last Friday and won't be back until time to prep Sunday morning at 8. So far I've enjoyed: hiking/snowshoeing up a peak, climbing at the gym, and farting around with various pastries at home. Friday I will have all of my friends over to watch movies and eat ridiculous amounts of Kentucky hot browns. Saturday, I will go skiing. Sunday I will prep out for my week. I have slept for 10 hours every night this week, and have visited 4 breweries.

Story over.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

We're on lock down for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I literally can't do most of my job. Going to be a lot of cleanup projects done in the next four days.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Rad. Im drinking the Blue Eyed Boy right now. Shits pretty rad. Gonna get a second bottle and give it a few years. I did the shake but I feel that a few extra years would really help it. I will now have a permanent rotation for it in my cellar.

E: Just wanted to say I am thankful for my family, sharp skates, and good friends.

EE: Get a hold of a 2008 Beaucastel. Thats the CDP that would be right up your ally.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 25, 2015

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Here's my story: Thanksgiving Eve is often the biggest bar day of the year (along with Dec 24 and Dec 31) and last night was up %20 from last year. Dinner rush started before I got there at 4 and didn't end until about 9:30. This is gonna be fun.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Any one else have an issue where the ball of your foot feels like one massive bruise? The pain went away the last day of my 2 days off, but then halfway through the lunch shift it came right back. Is there some special magical cushy shoe insert I should be aware of? I've been resting and elevating my feet as best I can when I'm not at work, and trying to take any opportunity at work to take the weight off that foot, but this shits killing me. I can't spend the holiday season with a limp.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

While we're doing the Thanks thing, I'm thankful for family, friends, and everyone else who puts up with my drinking.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Any one else have an issue where the ball of your foot feels like one massive bruise? The pain went away the last day of my 2 days off, but then halfway through the lunch shift it came right back. Is there some special magical cushy shoe insert I should be aware of? I've been resting and elevating my feet as best I can when I'm not at work, and trying to take any opportunity at work to take the weight off that foot, but this shits killing me. I can't spend the holiday season with a limp.

Inserts. Get them. I have ruined feet from SERE school, and I have to use a special insert in all my shoes. Also make sure you are using wick socks.

Shooting Blanks posted:

While we're doing the Thanks thing, I'm thankful for family, friends, and everyone else who puts up with my drinking.

Nice, good to hear homie. :shobon:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Tonight is either going to be dead or busy as hell. Murphy s law suggests it will be busy, since half the kitchen staff took tonight off. We only have like 90 on the books, but we're either going to get the "want to impress the vasiting in laws" crowd as walk ins or no one at all.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

my thanksgiving story is less than two weeks after the norovirus i've got a cold or some poo poo. at least i don't have to call out.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeahhhhh probably wasn't the best idea to only run tonight with one cook.

Dudes getting loving killed back there.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
And here you are, posting. :allears:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If I knew how to cook I'd be back there helping the guy out. :aaaaa:

He just got destroyed by to go orders. And like a 15 pie pizza order all at once.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Because throwing the appropriate toppings onto pizza skins requires a lot of cooking skill...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pizza doesn't get down, AMAHD has no idea what to do with it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Where the gently caress do you work that would even let a server without experience onto the loving line? He'd do more harm than good.

We get it, you don't like the kid, the constant dogpile every single post her makes is so tired y'all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Any oval office with half a thumb can slice and box pies.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
When we are shorthanded I have had servers plate amuses, ladle soup, grab backups from the walkin, line up plates, finish garnishes, and other kitchen tasks that do not require technical expertise. I definitely wouldn't appreciate any server standing around and texting while the restaurant is super busy. There's always SOMETHING to be done.

Seriously there's one person cooking in the kitchen during a busy rush and you think there's NOTHING he should be doing other than dicking around on the phone?

Edit: oh, nvm, dog pile. I see what you did there

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 26, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I've never ever ever worked anywhere where any cook or chef would want FoH staff on the line, busy or not

e: thinking back I've obviously helped with less involved stuff - working at a place that had pizzas available to go years ago, FoH would assemble pizza boxes for take-out, and wash dishes when kitchen was too busy.

That being said, if the line was busy chances are I was as well - never worked anywhere where that didn't hold.

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 26, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Trust me every pizza guy I know doesn't want any help at all. They get into this loving zone and I'd just be harming more then helping.

He got weeded but got through it and service was fine.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Secret Spoon posted:

Inserts. Get them. I have ruined feet from SERE school, and I have to use a special insert in all my shoes. Also make sure you are using wick socks.

Any brands you recommend? I always use inserts, you'd be crazy not to, and try to change them out whenever my feet get sore, but this is crazy, I start limping halfway through a shift.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

AA is for Quitters posted:

Tonight is either going to be dead or busy as hell.

Omaha has an impending ice storm so I'm guessing everyone left early to wherever they were going. I doubt we even did half of our sales yesterday, and basically no one after 7 was ordering food, just drinks. Half the kitchen went home hours early because close was more or less done.

Any brands you recommend? I always use inserts, you'd be crazy not to, and try to change them out whenever my feet get sore, but this is crazy, I start limping halfway through a shift.

I get the cheapest ones that fit my shoe size (which is maybe two at Walmart and nowhere else) and they're good for 4-6 months. I don't have a package of them with me but they're the heavy-duty like industrial inserts, none of that Dr Scholl's horse puckey.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
No loving FOH staff behind the line, ever.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

I used to get that, and the same thing in the center of my heels. All shoe stuff aside, if you walk or stand all day your hamstrings just get tighter and tighter, and what you describe is one of the typical symptoms. Do you stretch them at all? That turned out to be almost my entire problem, because I never bothered to srretch unless my calves were crampy. I also used to get shin splints like a motherfucker from walking between work and the train, and hamstring stretches fixed that too. Simple to perform, take very little time, do the ankle ones on any stair and bend at the waist anytime nobody will care about your rear end. Helps immensely with low-back pain, too.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
If it's pain in the ball of your foot, I can almost guarantee it's plantar fasciitis.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...Knowledge-panel

It happens to a lot of cooks because we stand all day and usually shift our weight unevenly throughout.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I thought that was what it was too but my heels are fine. :iiam: good call on the stretching though, I'll try that out and hope it works.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Stretching is a really good idea in general. I've also found in the past that my hip flexors will get tight and gently caress up my back, so if hamstring stretches don't quite get you there as far as lower back pain goes, stretch out your hip flexors by doing poo poo like the cobra pose or whatever when you get up/before you go to bed. I went from unable to walk upright when it would get bad to doing pretty god drat okay all the time.

Another thing that can help with foot pain is strengthening your arches, especially if you're flat footed. Just sit in a chair on not-carpet (or on the toilet in your bathroom) and put a towel on the floor. Put your bare foot on the towel, then stretch it out as far as you can, keeping the heel on the ground, and try to grasp the towel with your toes and pull it towards your heel. It's weird as poo poo at first, but it really, really, really, really helps with foot and ankle pain and can help prevent plantar fasciitis, in my experience.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I thought that was what it was too but my heels are fine. :iiam: good call on the stretching though, I'll try that out and hope it works.

Try taping as well. This helped me immensely when I had it. It's crazy how helpful the taping is. https://youtu.be/1jQv_CipqyU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
So who didn't survive thanksgiving?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

goodness posted:

So who didn't survive thanksgiving?

Everyone, apparently.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm not American, it was slow as balls, and I'm still probably going to murder one of my staff even though I have interviews set up to replace her so I can fire her. She's that stupid. It's so loving bad, it makes my brain hurt.

gently caress this shortage of cooks and having to hire bodies regardless of skill.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Naelyan posted:

I'm not American, it was slow as balls, and I'm still probably going to murder one of my staff even though I have interviews set up to replace her so I can fire her. She's that stupid. It's so loving bad, it makes my brain hurt.

gently caress this shortage of cooks and having to hire bodies regardless of skill.

In America, every time I hear this I think to myself 'huh, maybe I should jump back in, I really enjoyed cooking' and then we start talking wages and it's like "oh, you're offering $7.50/hr, now I understand why you can't find anyone worth keeping."

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
First time I had thanksgiving off in like 10 years :D

But now 6 straight 10-12 hours day :sigh:

And then things start to slow wayyyyy down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Omaha has an impending ice storm so I'm guessing everyone left early to wherever they were going.

That ice storm manifested as lovely near-freezing rain in texas. DURING WHICH WE HAD THE AC CRANKED AT SUMMER SETTINGS. And nobody on staff knew how to turn it down, or--get this!!!--turn on the heat instead!

Runners shivering in the pass. Line cooks rubbing their arms to stay warm (it was slow as gently caress so short of turning on the burners on general principle there weren't many ways to make heat). One of the more flamboyant room service attendants fashioned a frankly astonishingly good sarong wrap out of two white tablecloths. And trying to find stuff to do through it all, I started to feel a little sore throat, a little shaky, a little achy.

Woke up to my nose feeling like a cinder block. 101.1 temp. At least I work at a place that allows sick days! And, crucially, has functioning AC.

• Locked thread