Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Yawgmoth posted:

It's that plus there's just not anything that interesting in it right now, at least for me. Everything is either Atarka Red "throw everything at your head asap" poo poo or durdly 4 color good stuff decks, neither of which particularly interest me. I wish there was a good Sidisi Whip style combo/toolbox type thing out there but I haven't heard or seen anything like that and it just puts me off of it. Plus there's been an increasing number of idiots at my store who feel the need to do retarded shuffling superstitions for 10 minutes between games and I just do not have the patience for that poo poo.

Play B/u aristocrats, it's the only deck that intrigued me at all this standard, I'm still toying with treasure cruise/grim haruspex. It's an insanely fun deck that shits all over atarka red, and most of the 4 color durdle decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's just the december slump. It happens every year. Prices and attendance drop and I blame it on the fact they have to do the fall release way back in september and have it last through January whereas they lump 4 sets in between feb and june most years.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mezzanon posted:

Play B/u aristocrats, it's the only deck that intrigued me at all this standard, I'm still toying with treasure cruise/grim haruspex. It's an insanely fun deck that shits all over atarka red, and most of the 4 color durdle decks.
Got a deck list handy? I've heard/seen so many people describe their deck as "X/y aristocrats" with pretty much nothing in common between them.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Terrible Horse posted:

Do you have a list with those cards? What do you lose, the Rancors?

You can build it in a few different ways, depending on how all in you want to be. Locally, I run a very aggressive version with eighteen lands and Skarrgan Pitskulks because it's really not an archetype for dawdling with. Plus they gently caress over opposing Spellskites, Hierarchs, Exarchs, and all that.

However you exactly want to change up these lists, and it's a pretty variable archetype, there are some general guidelines for trimming. First, it's almost always better to be playing more creatures than to be trying to keep parity with Vines, so including the full playset is wrong IMO. Similarly, I prefer two Dismembers main and to leave others in the board if you're likely to need them. Even four Rancors is actually fine, because you're playing enough creatures that you're virtually certain to have a target, and you're outputting damage fast enough that it can often punch you over the line a turn faster, but I wouldn't blame someone for cutting to three or two. Finally, of the spells, Tuskers rate as the worst creatures, so you can lose one or two for whatever else you're putting in if you need the space. As to land, even when I'm running a less 1 drop based version, I go for eighteen Forests and two Treetops, because if you're not immediately pressuring the opponent on curve, you're going to lose, and a tapland at the wrong time can cost you the game quite easily, as will flood.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 28, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

Had a judge tell me that in order for it to be considered a 'real' cut of the deck you have to move at least 7 cards.

I'm assuming by your response, that's not actually the case.

Nothing in the rules say anything about cutting the deck. The MTR says that you have to present your deck to your opponent for additional shuffling. That's it

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Yawgmoth posted:

Got a deck list handy? I've heard/seen so many people describe their deck as "X/y aristocrats" with pretty much nothing in common between them.

UB Aristocrats

Lands
4 x Polluted Delta
4 x Bloodstained Mire
4 x Sunken Hollow
2 x Flooded Strand
1 x Foundry of the Consuls
1 x Island
6 x Swamp
1x rogues passage

Creatures
4 x Bloodsoaked Champion
4 x Hangarback Walker
4 x Sultai Emissary
4 x Zulaport Cutthroat
4 x Nantuko Husk
4 x Liliana, Heretical Healer // Liliana, Defiant Necromancer
4 x Sidisi's Faithful
4 x Whirler Rogue

Spells
4 x Murderous Cut
1 x Vampiric Rites

I'm experimenting with grim haruspex and treasure cruise instead of some murderous cuts. Sideboard is a mix of ultimate price, complete disregard, duress, and assorted counterspells. Plays blue with no jace gently caress yeah.

If you're on the play and your opponent taps out on t3, sometimes you just jam the combo and win on t4. I've had opponents tap out n t4 for a siege rhino, and I get to just combo through them and win.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 28, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Terrible Horse posted:

Do you have a list with those cards? What do you lose, the Rancors?

My list shaves a Dismember and a Kalonian Tusker main for two SCoozes, and goes up a forest and down a Treetop Village for a 19/2 split. The gut shots are replaced with the Meliras, the Guttural Responses with Spellskites and then a few other random cards. My experience has been different than Sleep of Bronzes and I have found Vines to be completely insane; I target an opponent's creature about equally as often as my own.

edit: Does anyone have any artists they go to if they need alters done? I have a 6-card order I want to get filled somewhere but I can't find anyone taking commissions right now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

edit: Does anyone have any artists they go to if they need alters done? I have a 6-card order I want to get filled somewhere but I can't find anyone taking commissions right now.

Just bring them on Friday. I'll get 'em for you free of charge.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I played standard on Thursday, about 8-10 plays and seriously at least 4 were playing flavours of Aristocrats. It's tier 1.5 at best now but come rotation and people might not be maindecking something that wrecks it maybe it will be a stronger deck. Innistrad is a setting that could conceivably provide sac outlets, with Falkenrath Aristocrat reprint being the best case scenario.

Anyway, playing then also reminded me to make something I think might be useful:

Doesn't quite look right, but fit for purpose.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Shouldn't that be a 1/1?

Edit: ah, nm, I get it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

I played standard on Thursday, about 8-10 plays and seriously at least 4 were playing flavours of Aristocrats. It's tier 1.5 at best now but come rotation and people might not be maindecking something that wrecks it maybe it will be a stronger deck. Innistrad is a setting that could conceivably provide sac outlets, with Falkenrath Aristocrat reprint being the best case scenario.

Anyway, playing then also reminded me to make something I think might be useful:

:barf:

Please get the Fonts from here and install the ones under After M15.

Every time I see an M15 template card without the Beleren font it kills me a little. It's even more wrong since you dug up the custom M15 DFC template.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Can you do this but for Figure of Destiny and also various pictures of Goku

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Cernunnos posted:

:barf:

Please get the Fonts from here and install the ones under After M15.

Every time I see an M15 template card without the Beleren font it kills me a little. It's even more wrong since you dug up the custom M15 DFC template.

You read my mind.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'd forgotten that the Innistrad DFCs (that is, those that flip into creatures) have that ugly little thing that reminds you what the P/T of the flip side is.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Someone linked a one-download version of the updated Shandalar. I always liked the early game farting around abusing the 6-life dudes with really easy decks.

First one I challenge, he curves out with 1/1 unblockable merfolk, Lord, Lord+Unstable mutation for turn 3 kill.

Why'd they have to gently caress around with the npc decks?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

That Soldier deck was sweet. From memory:
4 Ballyrush Banneret
4 Captain of the Watch
4 Thalia
4 Field Marshal
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Suppression Field
4 Chrome Mox
9 Plains
2 Karakas
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Wasteland
I don't remember what else, maybe Aether Vials or Swords? SB had some Phyrexian Revoker, Rest in Peace I think. Don't remember what else but SB was 4/4/4/3.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

4 Ballyrush Banneret
4 Captain of the Watch
4 Thalia
4 Field Marshal
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Suppression Field
4 Chrome Mox
9 Plains
2 Karakas
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Wasteland
I don't remember what else, maybe Aether Vials or Swords? SB had some Phyrexian Revoker, Rest in Peace I think. Don't remember what else but SB was 4/4/4/3.

I believe the other 2 cards were Thorn of Amethyst and Oblivion Ring

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

4 Ballyrush Banneret
4 Captain of the Watch
4 Thalia
4 Field Marshal
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Suppression Field
4 Chrome Mox
9 Plains
2 Karakas
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Wasteland

Dunno about this weekend but the last time I saw Soldiers the list was:
Deck: Legacy Soldier Stompy

//Lands
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Cavern of Souls
10 Plains

//Spells
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chrome Mox
4 Suppression Field

//Creatures
4 Ballyrush Banneret
4 Captain of the Watch
4 Daru Warchief
4 Enlistment Officer
4 Field Marshal
2 Loxodon Gatekeeper
4 Preeminent Captain
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

//Sideboard
4 Tormod's Crypt
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Kor Firewalker
3 Oblivion Ring

Display deck statistics

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
No Wastelands, Ancient Tombs instead. Also it runs Chalice of the Void, which is hilarious with Cavern of Souls.

It's a fun deck that has more game than you might expect, it's too bad I traded away all of my Caverns before I decided to build the deck (and before they got expensive).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
How high will it go? http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/3986

:ughh:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

$7.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So what's the cause of the spike in this case?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Cheapest on tcgplayer is double that, and the new median is 45. http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/time-spiral/reiterate

Ramos posted:

Someone is trying to buy them out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

Mizzix.

Bugsy posted:

Cheapest on tcgplayer is double that, and the new median is 45.

Yep. And the foils are $20.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

OH MAN LET'S BUYOUT REITERATE FOR... REASONS!

And I like Fork effects, but this is stupid.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Jesus, guess I need to sell mine off real quick...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Chalice of the Void decks in legacy are amazing.

e: personal favourites: werewolves, Red Creatures in Standard, pirate theme deck

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 29, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Speaking of creeping prices, after 3 years, I think MMA boxes are at that point where they're finally worth cracking and flipping the individual cards. Sure, the mythics are either poo poo (the Dragons) or have dropped significantly from the MM2015 reprint + meta shift (Bob, Goyf, Clique, Kiki-Jiki), but now it has 7 rares with a median price of $25 or more and 16 rares/mythics that are worth the median cost of the pack or more. Not to mention, there are 4 uncommons with a median price of $5+ and 3 over $3.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Chalice of the Void decks in legacy are amazing.

e: personal favourites: werewolves, Red Creatures in Standard, pirate theme deck

The Moggcatcher Big Red decks are sweet too, since you can grab Goblin Settler for any basics they got down before blood moon hit

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

In terms of black friday deals through friday and the weekend, I haven't been impressed at all at any of the UK sites, some not even doing deals at all.

Then I went into my LGS and found out they were selling EVERYTHING they had at 25% off including singles (Which they price at 50% SCG $ -> £, which is pretty competitive anyway)

Needless to say, I bought a lot of singles that day. Plus, Inkedplaymats are doing a sale all weekend of 25% off most of their stuff if you use the code THEWEEKEND.

(Undertale is such a good game.)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Samael posted:

In terms of black friday deals through friday and the weekend, I haven't been impressed at all at any of the UK sites, some not even doing deals at all.

Then I went into my LGS and found out they were selling EVERYTHING they had at 25% off including singles (Which they price at 50% SCG $ -> £, which is pretty competitive anyway)

Needless to say, I bought a lot of singles that day. Plus, Inkedplaymats are doing a sale all weekend of 25% off most of their stuff if you use the code THEWEEKEND.

I wish I had your store's level of competitiveness, everyone here uses SCG prices. :sigh:

Also, I need those playmats.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Punishing Abzan

Some guy just won with a non-blue deck. I know they call it Abzan, but it has a nice mix of white hate bears and the Jund advantage engine.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Punishing Abzan

Some guy just won with a non-blue deck. I know they call it Abzan, but it has a nice mix of white hate bears and the Jund advantage engine.

:swoon:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Actually, it's more Maverick with a touch of punishing fire in there and the ability to sideboard into a lot of hate bears. Life from the Loam is really good.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Ramos posted:

Actually, it's more Maverick with a touch of punishing fire in there and the ability to sideboard into a lot of hate bears. Life from the Loam is really good.
So is 4 Mox Diamond next to 4 Chalice of the Void.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Chalice is not a fun card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's not the card we deserve but it's the card we need

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

Punishing Abzan

Punshing Rock isn't anything that new though. :confused:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Ramos posted:

Punishing Abzan

So nice to see 4C Loam getting results and attention lately. It's the second-most-fun legacy deck I've played. I unsleeved it and played regular Jund for a while, but all it took was putting Loam back together for a couple weeks to make me want to sell my Goyfs and use the money to get a Knight of the Reliquary tattoo.

mcmagic posted:

That's what makes it a fun card!

Samael posted:

Now I want a playmat that's just a screencap of the "Viewing this endless cycle of worthless garbage fills you with determination" save point dialog.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Ramos posted:

Punishing Abzan

Hm, so it turns out that instead of the format being bad, Jeff Hoogland is actually the one that is bad

Interesting

• Locked thread