Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

butt dickus posted:

The 6P too big to do phone stuff but still not big enough to do tablet stuff.
Do you mind talking about this a little more? I'm upgrading to either the 5X or the 6P this Christmas (5 is on the blink again) and I'm reading around and sorely tempted by the 6P. My main concern though is simply that it would be too drat big. I'm constantly handling my phone, taking it out of my pocket and moving it around and poo poo, does the 6p's size make that awkward?

Also re the 6P and phone memory in general is there any point at all to getting more than 32GB of storage space? I can't imagine filling that much up on a phone, especially now everything is streamed.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pierson posted:

My main concern though is simply that it would be too drat big. I'm constantly handling my phone, taking it out of my pocket and moving it around and poo poo, does the 6p's size make that awkward?

This is major YMMV territory, but I used a 6P for two weeks and that was exactly my experience. Ended up swapping it for a 5X and couldn't be happier.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pierson posted:

Also re the 6P and phone memory in general is there any point at all to getting more than 32GB of storage space? I can't imagine filling that much up on a phone, especially now everything is streamed.

Well, how much space do you use on your current phone? You might use more on the 6P because the camera is better.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

repiv posted:

This is major YMMV territory, but I used a 6P for two weeks and that was exactly my experience. Ended up swapping it for a 5X and couldn't be happier.
I wish I could go into Carphone Warehouse and ask to just have a hold of their display Nexus 6p but around here they look at you funny if you want to hold the merchandise. :v:

Thermopyle posted:

Well, how much space do you use on your current phone? You might use more on the 6P because the camera is better.
When I had a Nexus 4 I ran up against the 16gb limit a few times, my N5 is using 7GB right now mainly of Spotify playlists. I'm just curious really.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm having an issue with updating or installing some, but not all, apps on my galaxy s5. Here's the message I get: "Can't install app. 'Appname' cannot be installed. Try again, and if the problem continues, get help troubleshooting. (Error code: -505)"

So far my googling hasn't turned up anything helpful. I have tried restarting my phone, updating the time and date, clearing google play cache and data, reinstalling play store updates, and checking for system updates. I have 3.1 gigs free, so it shouldn't be a storage space issue either.

Any ideas?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Pierson posted:

Do you mind talking about this a little more? I'm upgrading to either the 5X or the 6P this Christmas (5 is on the blink again) and I'm reading around and sorely tempted by the 6P. My main concern though is simply that it would be too drat big. I'm constantly handling my phone, taking it out of my pocket and moving it around and poo poo, does the 6p's size make that awkward?
The screen doesn't really seem that much bigger than the 5. When I use the 5 at home, I don't miss the larger screen at all. The physical size is a different matter. I've never dropped a phone, but the 6P might be the first. It's significantly heavier than the 5 and that makes it feel fragile. I have to be much more careful taking out out of my pocket and putting it back in. It's already really big so I don't want to put a case on it, but I do keep it in a neoprene sleeve.

Pierson posted:

I don't like getting a model that's not the top end (Another reason I went for the 6P over the 5X) so I went ahead and bought the 128GB version. It has 111GB available for use and I'm currently using about 3GB of that.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Tried that and clearing the data, neither worked. Guess I'll just download another browser when I get home. Any suggestions? How are Firefox and Opera for mobile?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Aranan posted:

I'm having an issue with updating or installing some, but not all, apps on my galaxy s5. Here's the message I get: "Can't install app. 'Appname' cannot be installed. Try again, and if the problem continues, get help troubleshooting. (Error code: -505)"

So far my googling hasn't turned up anything helpful. I have tried restarting my phone, updating the time and date, clearing google play cache and data, reinstalling play store updates, and checking for system updates. I have 3.1 gigs free, so it shouldn't be a storage space issue either.

Any ideas?

You can try booting into recovery and clearing the cache there if you haven't already.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Tried that and clearing the data, neither worked. Guess I'll just download another browser when I get home. Any suggestions? How are Firefox and Opera for mobile?

If you just got it, maybe try a factory reset? That's obviously not normal behavior.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Desk Lamp posted:

You can try booting into recovery and clearing the cache there if you haven't already.

I did not try that before, but I just did and still no luck. I guess I'll have to try a factory reset when I get home tomorrow and see if that works.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mak0rz posted:

I just accidentally placed some custom sounds in the "Ringtones" directory and wanted to move them to "Notifications" where they belong. Seems Android is picky about where sounds are stored.

I always end up doing exactly that every time I wipe or get a new phone because I'm dumb.
so install ES File explorer and do it on the device? I have my ringtones/etc in a google drive folder for just that reason.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've got this redirect poo poo on my S5 called "Go.goadvs.com." It hijacks chrome while I am on SA, Google only tells me how to remove it on actual computers, and none of the mal/adware removal apps I tried on the PS can find it. Help me IYG, I need to go back to posting and getting lovely anime avatars bought for me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I've got this redirect poo poo on my S5 called "Go.goadvs.com." It hijacks chrome while I am on SA, Google only tells me how to remove it on actual computers, and none of the mal/adware removal apps I tried on the PS can find it. Help me IYG, I need to go back to posting and getting lovely anime avatars bought for me.

Are you using a free VPN or DNS country-restriction bypasser? If so they're probably injecting ads to pay the bills.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rodyle posted:

While you obviously need to get that bizarre problem fixed, you can and probably should be using the Awful app in the interim.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

repiv posted:

Are you using a free VPN or DNS country-restriction bypasser? If so they're probably injecting ads to pay the bills.

Nope.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

While you obviously need to get that bizarre problem fixed, you can and probably should be using the Awful app in the interim.

Been on the fence about that for awhile, might as well.

E: holy gently caress this app is hideous

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 29, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rodyle posted:

Does this happen with browsers other than Chrome? Might be a lovely add-on or browser setting that propagated after getting hit by the adware on a PC.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rodyle posted:

What's hideous about the Awful app? :confused:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I had no idea this was a thing, but apparently some home routers are being compromised and their DNS settings changed to malicious servers which redirect some requests to ads.

http://sentrant.com/2015/03/25/ad-fraud-malware-hijacks-router-dns-injects-ads-via-google-analytics/

Check your router config I guess? :shrug:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

isndl posted:

Does this happen with browsers other than Chrome? Might be a lovely add-on or browser setting that propagated after getting hit by the adware on a PC.

Chrome's the only browser on my phone, but it only happens on SA, started like an hour ago, and apparently it's happening to other people too so it might not be on my end. I'll check my pc's Chrome install when I get the chance, before trying any of the other things.

Thanks ya'll.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Rodyle posted:

Chrome's the only browser on my phone, but it only happens on SA, started like an hour ago, and apparently it's happening to other people too so it might not be on my end. I'll check my pc's Chrome install when I get the chance, before trying any of the other things.

Thanks ya'll.

It's not you, it's the forums:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's hideous about the Awful app? :confused:

Something looks way better, and has a grenade icon!

Kinda miss the frog still though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Something looks way better, and has a grenade icon!

Kinda miss the frog still though.

That's not a grenade, its a coffee Thermos

Still annoyed we didn't go with responsibility scallop, drat you lastinline :argh:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 29, 2015

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

I'm struggling to get the Marshmallow OTA installed manually on my Nexus 7 LTE. Whenever I try to boot into Recovery, it just says 'No Command'. Do I need to reinstall ADB or some poo poo like that to make this work?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is this the right place for a question like this:

I'm working for a store that specializes in cell phone "management" and we're trying to find a way to extract core data (contacts, whatever the gently caress else) is store on the NAND of the phone. However, we're reading that even with a water damaged phone, as long as the "EMMC chip" is fine, we can desolder it from the board, put it in some sort of machine, and extract whatever data was held on it. Is this some true poo poo? We're also reading that it takes days to do, but we want to invest in the machine itself.

Must Love Dogs posted:

I'm struggling to get the Marshmallow OTA installed manually on my Nexus 7 LTE. Whenever I try to boot into Recovery, it just says 'No Command'. Do I need to reinstall ADB or some poo poo like that to make this work?

You can use the Nexus Toolkit and some terminal fuckery to reflash it. That's the only solution though, reflashing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rodyle posted:

That's why I prefer Something.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

LastInLine posted:

I actually quite prefer Awful with the arcdark theme someone made. Yeah, it's not material but the layout and controls work well. Agreed, colors out of the box are terrible.

While I'm here, can someone post the link to the Linux distribution with adb rolled in?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Can you make threads in something yet?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Can you make threads in something yet?

Nope. Can't get a list of emotes either which is the only active drawback I come across daily as a non threadposter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't get the disdain for Awful, it looks totally fine to me and works great?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't get the disdain for Awful, it looks totally fine to me and works great?

Same here. I tried Something a while back but didn't see any reason to switch.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is Something still missing quote and self-highlighting?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It would be awesome if you could post all the "Awful is ugly", preferably with example screenshots and short descriptions in the Awful.apk thread so we can maybe improve, and also don't further poo poo up the android devices thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sereri posted:

It would be awesome if you could post all the "Awful is ugly", preferably with example screenshots and short descriptions in the Awful.apk thread so we can maybe improve, and also don't further poo poo up the android devices thread.

This is exactly right on all counts.

(Also, I don't get the dislike.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I went back a lot of pages and didn't really see a lot about the Turbo 2. I have to use Verizon where I live since it's the only thing that provides service I'm eyeing the Turbo 2 or the 6P. The Turbo 2 is the most tempting because it's available to me on a payment plan and I get about $200 off with Black Friday deals and an update discount. Is it worth getting ot should I wait an undetermined amount of time before I have the money for the 6P up front?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Alrighty, ordered a 5x for my wife and a 6p for me.

Can someone give me a quick rundown about the new usb-c cables?

According to Google, I'm getting a:
USB Type-C 15W (5V/3A) charger
USB Type-C to USB Type-C cable
USB Type-C to USB Standard-A plug cable

Why is there a C - to A cable?

I'm supposed to charge it with a Type-c charging using a c-to-c cable, right?

Are there any risks to using one of those car chargers with the A-to-C cable?

Basically, what do I need to know to avoid breaking my phone in respect to charging?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TheReverend posted:

Alrighty, ordered a 5x for my wife and a 6p for me.

Can someone give me a quick rundown about the new usb-c cables?

According to Google, I'm getting a:
USB Type-C 15W (5V/3A) charger
USB Type-C to USB Type-C cable
USB Type-C to USB Standard-A plug cable

Why is there a C - to A cable?

I'm supposed to charge it with a Type-c charging using a c-to-c cable, right?

Are there any risks to using one of those car chargers with the A-to-C cable?

Basically, what do I need to know to avoid breaking my phone in respect to charging?
The A-C cable is for connecting to older chargers or for connecting to a computer for whatever reason.

The charger situation still hasn't quite been figured out, afaik. I've heard they actually support qualcomm's quickcharge, but haven't confirmed that personally yet.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You get a C-C cable to use with your type C charger. You get a C-A cable because nobody else supports type C and sometimes you want to plug your phone in. You're perfectly fine using any other charger with the C-A cable, but the C-C cable can theoretically charge more quickly because it's a newer standard that supports feeding more juice. You can't break your phone with the cables unless you're using dodgy chargers, the tech is designed so the phone and charger will negotiate how much power is sent.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Well unless you have a brand new computer/laptop, you're probably going to need a USB-A to USB-C cable if you want to connect it to your computer at any point. For charging it's normal speed, and laughably slow compared to the rapid charging of the 3A USBC charging.

You're also not getting a USB-A to USB-C cable. Also a lot of USB-A to USB-C cables don't meet the actual standard and can potentially damage your device, cable, or charger. iOrange-E, Belkin and a few other manufacturers meet the proper standard. Google Enginner Benson Leung has been reviewing the various cables on Amazon and determining which ones work and don't work properly. You can see his reviews here.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks everyone. That helps.

SpookyLizard posted:

Well unless you have a brand new computer/laptop, you're probably going to need a USB-A to USB-C cable if you want to connect it to your computer at any point.

Oh yeah forgot about that part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Len posted:

I went back a lot of pages and didn't really see a lot about the Turbo 2. I have to use Verizon where I live since it's the only thing that provides service I'm eyeing the Turbo 2 or the 6P. The Turbo 2 is the most tempting because it's available to me on a payment plan and I get about $200 off with Black Friday deals and an update discount. Is it worth getting ot should I wait an undetermined amount of time before I have the money for the 6P up front?

The Turbo 2 is awesome. It's a Moto X Pure Edition on steroids. The 6p probably has it beat in the camera department though, especially in low light. I don't know how much of a time difference there will be on Verizon for major Android updates. I was under the impression that Motorola's are still close to Nexus devices for updates, but I guess that's carrier dependent.