Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

whenever i interview for a job I tell them I need to be home every day for dinner by 6:30.

never has a place turned around and said 'tha't no good'

fuckin LOL at someone being given the carot of 'dinner on Tuesday'.

i got the sense that that particular anecdote was more marissa being a giant sperg than a statement about the actual average yahoo worker experience. i assume most of the ones with families can clock out on time if they choose to. maybe i'm wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

wasn't there already that service that had people drive around in a van and give you IVs and other medical care and it turns out no one was licensed or trained?

my mom does that except she works for a reputable business that contracts to local nursing homes and assisted living businesses that can't afford an in-house nurse 24 hours a day

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Luigi Thirty posted:

my mom does that except she works for a reputable business

doesn't sound very disruptive

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i dont think ive ever worked more than 20 hours per week. like actually doing poo poo. i mean what really counts as work. i dont know.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Smythe posted:

i dont think ive ever worked more than 20 hours per week. like actually doing poo poo. i mean what really counts as work. i dont know.

work is what happens between when you sit down in front of computer and when you stand up to leave again

if you actually do some poo poo then that's a bonus

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Smythe posted:

yeah same, i think one week when i was covering for two other designers on vacation plus my work i hit like a legit 45 hours of work and by friday at 5:30 my brain was just mush. gf called me to try and plan dinner and i was basically speaking in tongues

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

doctor hoverwife works 80-100 hour weeks including regular 28 hour shifts

she is told by her co-residents that she is doing really well since she only seriously questions her career decisions and breaks down w/ thought of quitting less than once a month

also reminder that new doctors are paid less than teachers loll

how much of that is "strategic napping" lol

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
my work buys you dinner if you go over 10 hours in a day and you would be shocked at how often people put in 10.5 when we are busy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Spelled more or less correctly, 4/10

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr. Apollo posted:

i wonder how long that can continue. the big hedge funds are driving up prices in the major markets and smaller reits are now looking to secondary and tertiary markets to buy.

I'd think there has to be a point where the hedge funds can't generate an acceptable return on their investment since they've driven the prices up so much but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hedge funds are doing really badly everywhere, not just in real estate

but interest rates are 0%. so investors will continue to throw money at hedge funds hoping for some long shot returns.

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002

Bluemillion posted:

Well I'm sure they've reversed it since then.

At least Googlers get childcare benefits, albeit crappy ones

There's a similar petition at Amazon for childcare; they even found a local daycare willing to give a discount to employees with no cost to the company. But HR refused to even allow that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
maybe breeders should think about this kind of thing before they decide to inflict their screaming spawn on the world

we have enough people, your kids aren't going to be special enough to make up for the resources they'll consume

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

my work buys you dinner if you go over 10 hours in a day and you would be shocked at how often people put in 10.5 when we are busy

I've learned quite a few valley companies that offer perks like free meals on campus locate breakfast and dinner at especially early/late hours to get employees to stay late and come in early.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lancemantis posted:

I've learned quite a few valley companies that offer perks like free meals on campus locate breakfast and dinner at especially early/late hours to get employees to stay late and come in early.

either that or to limit the number of people that take advantage of the perk

either is possible in tech bubble land but a lot of companies just do it for the latter

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Soricidus posted:

maybe breeders should think about this kind of thing before they decide to inflict their screaming spawn on the world

we have enough people, your kids aren't going to be special enough to make up for the resources they'll consume

Actually, we don't

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
meanwhile, east of silicon valley...

quote:

The Central Valley is sinking: drought forces farmers to ponder the abyss

As people dig ever deeper to find water, nearly 1,200 square miles of California is sinking 2 inches a month – destroying roads, bridges and farmland in the process
the guardian has a good longform article about the damage that overpumping is doing to the central valley

gotta gotta export those almonds though, no matter what the cost

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

lancemantis posted:

Most people think these techies live at work. The reality is most roll in at like 10am and out at 4pm.

At linked in people complained that the breakfast ended too early at 10am (they shut down at 10 to prep for lunch at 11) because they would roll in at 1030.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Most people think these techies live at work. The reality is most roll in at like 10am and out at 4pm.
dont forget the 2-3 days a week they spend "working" from "home"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

At linked in people complained that the breakfast ended too early at 10am (they shut down at 10 to prep for lunch at 11) because they would roll in at 1030.

that is pretty early, i prefer to get into the office around 11 personally. sucks that our catering all shuts down at like 4pm because apparently the catering staff are humans with private lives too or some bullshit

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FMguru posted:

the guardian has a good longform article about the damage that overpumping is doing to the central valley

1.1 gallons per almond

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

1.1 gallons per almond

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ArmZ posted:

how much of that is "strategic napping" lol

for a 28 hour shift around 2-3 spurts of 45 minutes

lmao they are slaves and each of them paid a quarter mil for the privilege

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Soricidus posted:

yes b/c the problem w/ the wealthy is that they just have too many drat litters of children

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

this is how your typical architect's "work week" is btw

i mean like the real kinda architect that designs buildings for rich folks not jumped up software people

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
that's how the ideal creative person's work day should be

your hours are w/e just make sure you do the job

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

computer parts posted:

that's how the work day should be

your hours are w/e just make sure you do the job

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I put in just enough hours that I don't get yelled at by HR and I can get all my work done

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

for a 28 hour shift around 2-3 spurts of 45 minutes

lmao they are slaves and each of them paid a quarter mil for the privilege

yeah it sure does suck finishing residency and making 6 to 7 figures forever. poor guys

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I usually get in at 9:15-9:30 and then post on the forums until lunch. Then at 2 I start working until either 5pm or until I reach a good stopping point. Whichever comes first.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dislike button posted:

yeah it sure does suck finishing residency and making 6 to 7 figures forever. poor guys

lol at those numbers being from 2010

fyi there are way way easier rich person careers esp for the tiny percentage of people who qualify for medschool admission

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Shaggar posted:

I usually get in at 9:15-9:30 and then post on the forums until lunch. Then at 2 I start working until either 5pm or until I reach a good stopping point. Whichever comes first.

same

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

it's weird that the article says the water table can somewhat recover, because once you extract the water and things get compacted due to no more water in the layer to hold up the gaps, the capacity is gone forever and basically impossible to be able to put the pumped water back even if you inject it back down

also iirc the water they are taking out took more than 15000 years
to get to that reservoir and basically will not get replenished in our lifetime, but yeah gotta use those water to grow those crops and get those fat stacks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fyi there are way way easier rich person careers esp for the tiny percentage of people who qualify for medschool admission

still, it's a prestige job and some people really want to save lives and help people

i really like my pcp and he works in a clinic that isn't exactly posh for idk what money

had a friend in hs go and work with HIV sufferers in africa for a while and i was so proud of her

then she specialized in plastic surgery because gently caress being poor

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
the biggest effect of having a really low water table is that there's basically no vegetation in the area and everything looked brown, while an area with plenty of water underneath is bright green with tons of vegetations and looks like hobbiton

there's place like Owens valley north of LA that used to be called Switzerland of California is now a desert wasteland with toxic dust storm because the water from nearby mountain snow that goes into that water table and lake is all diverted to LA, so the lake dried up and welp

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

interestingly it is illegal for a ups driver to work md like hours

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

DaNzA posted:

there's place like Owens valley north of LA that used to be called Switzerland of California is now a desert wasteland with toxic dust storm because the water from nearby mountain snow that goes into that water table and lake is all diverted to LA, so the lake dried up and welp

went and read about this and mono lake and stuff, it's interesting

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

does the md-like hours ups driver get a paycut when they hit 30 or what

e: oh i guess they're paralleling the md working fewer hours once out of school ok

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Progressive JPEG posted:

1.1 gallons per almond

a can a week is all we ask

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I'm not sure what this stupid chart is supposed to show. In my experience directly dealing with physicians, you have to be a complete gently caress up to make less than about $150K per year, with the higher income ones closer to $10M. I'd say average is $1M. There is no career which has similar career earning potential with as much job security.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dislike button posted:

I'm not sure what this stupid chart is supposed to show. In my experience directly dealing with physicians, you have to be a complete gently caress up to make less than about $150K per year, with the higher income ones closer to $10M. I'd say average is $1M. There is no career which has similar career earning potential with as much job security.

hint: the slope is earnings per year

hint 2: check the label of the x axis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

hint: the slope is earnings per year

hint 2: check the label of the x axis

It's wrong, hth

• Locked thread