Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
After finding out that there is an actual dissembled Fat Man shell in the Gorski Cabin (stabilizing fins, blasting cap, navigation control) I know Bethesda already has ammo crafting for guns other than the syringer. It's either just buggy as poo poo or they're saving it to make up for a really weak DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly it's weird that they don't just throw legendary power armor pieces into the loot pile. There are a few unique power armor pieces here and there, but there's absolutely nothing to distinguish one suit of T-60 from another really.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
Hey, wanting to get this game but my computer is a potato and I'm not sure I can run it. Are there any important tricks to make it run better? Like, files that need to be modified and what have you. Or am I just finally going to have to upgrade my PC?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Bikindok posted:

Hey, wanting to get this game but my computer is a potato and I'm not sure I can run it. Are there any important tricks to make it run better? Like, files that need to be modified and what have you. Or am I just finally going to have to upgrade my PC?

God rays are the biggest system chugger but you should probably get a new computer anyway as I doubt anyone's going to still fall behind Bethesda's programming of all companies after Fallout 4.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

coyo7e posted:

They mostly seem scaled to level, but you can find one at the diner near the drive in pretty regularly for a .308 very early in the game, and diamond city and goodneighbor weapon vendors probably will have them fairly often as well. In my last two starts, she was selling a suppressed weapon at the diner the first time I went there, and I've been packing a suppressed 308 that I modded up to .50, since the mid teen levels I'd say.

Sucks to be me, neither the diner nor any diamond city shops are selling it. They have suppressors for the pipe 308 but not the hunting rifle type. I'm level 42 now and have basically traveled to everywhere in the game exterminating everything that moves, I have suppressors for everything but the one I need.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bikindok posted:

How much of a potato? 80% is in upgrading the graphics card, it is not at all a CPU/RAM intensive game. After that an SSD helps. The good news is there's tons of sales for both of those now, you can put them into your potato and still transfer them to a better PC later.

Edit: turning down everything the game still can chug a bit with a GTX 960 at 1080p but I'd call it playable. A 970 will run the same settings at ultra, even the godrays, so it's a big leap.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 28, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Even as a ghoul, his Secret Service training never left him:

http://imgur.com/gallery/JndBLjE

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BadAstronaut posted:

Ok what I'd really like to do is draw a line under these quests but Preston continually has more. Do they ever end?

I'm more interested in developing a powerful gun touting, explosive crafting, lock picking hero with full charisma and speech options. Then exploring the wasteland, loving up baddies and finding my son. Probably all while in awesome power armour!

I never have the materials needed for crafting mines and grenades though. What's the best perk and so on path to take when levelling to be a good explosives based character?
There's a perk for crafting explosives, you can't make much except molotovs without them. After that it's a matter of having a couple of decent veggie farms and a few staffed scav stations. Eventually you'll end up with tons of fertilizer or whateve rhte fucker you need, but at least one decent farming settlement is super helpful for that.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Mondian posted:

I did that first Deacon quest, 2x of the Doctor's quests and when I returned to turn in the last one, Drummer Boy ran up to tell me to talk to Pam. I cleared out a settlement for her and upon my return she offered the DIA cache quest, which is what unlocks ballistic weaves.

I've done this through on a few characters now, you have to accept the 'butchers bill' quest from the doctor and complete 'mercer safehouse' for Pam, then she'll give you the first cache mission. You also have to then accept the first MILA mission from Tom before he'll talk to you about the weave and unlock it for crafting.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zero VGS posted:

Sucks to be me, neither the diner nor any diamond city shops are selling it. They have suppressors for the pipe 308 but not the hunting rifle type. I'm level 42 now and have basically traveled to everywhere in the game exterminating everything that moves, I have suppressors for everything but the one I need.
Then mod up your pipe 308 and stop whinging

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Seeing all the naked caravan guards marching in the thick white fog always gives me flashbacks to reading The Road and how I imagined the post-apocalyptic processions of phalanx and catamites would look.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

How much of a potato? 80% is in upgrading the graphics card, it is not at all a CPU/RAM intensive game. After that an SSD helps. The good news is there's tons of sales for both of those now, you can put them into your potato and still transfer them to a better PC later.

Edit: turning down everything the game still can chug a bit with a GTX 960 at 1080p but I'd call it playable. A 970 will run the same settings at ultra, even the godrays, so it's a big leap.

Currently running an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. Not that that means anything to me, but from what I can find, it's basically junk, yeah? But fair enough, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Also you know what would be an awesome addition to the Rifleman perk? Your dude using two eyes while aiming, so that you don't lose all situational awareness in the middle of a god drat firefight.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Davoren posted:

I've done this through on a few characters now, you have to accept the 'butchers bill' quest from the doctor and complete 'mercer safehouse' for Pam, then she'll give you the first cache mission. You also have to then accept the first MILA mission from Tom before he'll talk to you about the weave and unlock it for crafting.

What are the prereqs for the butcher's bill quest? The doctor doesn't have any quests for me, just barter and healing. I have completed the first MILA placement. PAM still just talks about all processes are currently busy.

If I remember right, Boston After Dark is from Deacon but I can't complete it because the "secure the meeting site" objective is just inside the area of the map that is bugged out in my game and the whole thing crashes when I get inside 25 hud compass distance units.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Eustachy posted:

and you can equip them with whatever armor and weaponry you want.

Having 20+ settlers all say "Oh no, bloatfly!" and whipping out 20 miniguns (each with 1 ammo) is pretty much the best

E: Also each time Saugus Ironworks respawns, the Slog gets another few people armed with flamers

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 28, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Well I did my part to reduce Institute efficiency. The Railroad should be pleased.
(I stole everyone's alarm clock)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Seashell Salesman posted:

Seeing all the naked caravan guards marching in the thick white fog always gives me flashbacks to reading The Road and how I imagined the post-apocalyptic processions of phalanx and catamites would look.
I don't remember any of that, perhaps you're confusing it with the bible

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bikindok posted:

Currently running an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. Not that that means anything to me, but from what I can find, it's basically junk, yeah? But fair enough, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Buy an xbone or a playstion. Your poo poo can't even run Rogue Legacy.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is the best Borderlands game I've ever played.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bikindok posted:

From what I've seen a 4400 can almost run it at an acceptable framerate after fiddling with the ini to lower various settings to well below Low. I don't know what the difference is between a 4400 and a 4000 but based on the lower number I'd recommend sitting Fallout 4 out.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Away all Goats posted:

This is the best Borderlands game I've ever played.

Story isn't as strong as the last ones tho

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
A friend of mine runs the game "alright" on a laptop with half the minimum requirements.

Meanwhile has anyone found a decent SMG in this game? I wanted one as an "oh poo poo" weapon just to spray bullets as I run for my life but the strongest one so far (45 Thompson) is ridiculously weak even when fully upgraded. As in 100 bullets to kill a mid level Raider.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

A friend of mine runs the game "alright" on a laptop with half the minimum requirements.

Meanwhile has anyone found a decent SMG in this game? I wanted one as an "oh poo poo" weapon just to spray bullets as I run for my life but the strongest one so far (45 Thompson) is ridiculously weak even when fully upgraded. As in 100 bullets to kill a mid level Raider.

Pretty much any legendary that adds a flat damage boost to them is gonna be stupid good on an SMG. Spray and Pray would be the easiest since Cricket will always have it on hand.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Zephyrine posted:

Commando perks. However, single shot rifleman will always do more damage, because, balance, I guess, or something. Semi and full auto modes mean nothing in the future of 2277.

Legendary things are a completely different ballgame though. Bleeding damage stacks, so bleeding full auto is broken as poo poo.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 29, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zephyrine posted:

The first legendary I killed on my first runthrough had a wounding smg that was OP as gently caress, beyond that no.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

limeincoke posted:

I want some god damned settlement invasions to actually happen. I've built a drat purified water empire in the Commonwealth (probably like 2000 + supply all told), and I've built the proper defenses to go along with it. I just want to see my work actually put to use.

Yeah, I desperately want proper invasions. Gunners attacking my base with annihilator sentry bots, BoS attacking with vertibirds. At least the Castle has a great spawn point right outside.

(Legendary Shaggy Yao Guai, biggest bear I've seen so far.)

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Zodium posted:

Yeah, I desperately want proper invasions. Gunners attacking my base with annihilator sentry bots, BoS attacking with vertibirds. At least the Castle has a great spawn point right outside.

I had my first Vertibird attack happening today. Granted, it was a "checkpoint" of Minutemen that I had to help. Which happened to have spawned in my freshly built settlement. Vertibird spawned, got shredded within 1 second by all my turrets, settlers, companion and the Minutemen. It crashed on all of them, 3 out of 5 Minutemen dead and had to repair 12 turrets. :negative:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zodium posted:

I ran into a legendary alpha yao guai with a baby yao guai backup outside some random prefab suburb. While running around like an idiot I stumbled across a big metal cage with a dog in it, and the alpha legendary bear found a legendary deathclaw (and killed it) while I was unlocking the cage, whereupon the angry deathclaw hunters attacked me for loving up their hunt, and got smoked hard like a lovely joint at a neu-metal concert.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

coyo7e posted:

I don't remember any of that, perhaps you're confusing it with the bible

Do you mean you don't have naked caravan guards in your game or you don't remember the phalanx with leaf-spring pikes, catamites and pregnant slaves in tow, from The Road?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Seditiar posted:

I had my first Vertibird attack happening today. Granted, it was a "checkpoint" of Minutemen that I had to help. Which happened to have spawned in my freshly built settlement. Vertibird spawned, got shredded within 1 second by all my turrets, settlers, companion and the Minutemen. It crashed on all of them, 3 out of 5 Minutemen dead and had to repair 12 turrets. :negative:

Do crashing vertibirds go through roofs? I closed off the Castle like a giant turtle so my babby Sims don't get shot by gunship. :ohdear:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Seashell Salesman posted:

Do you mean you don't have naked caravan guards in your game or you don't remember the phalanx with leaf-spring pikes, catamites and pregnant slaves in tow, from The Road?
I mean The Road was pretty forgettable, maybe it was in the movie I dunno sounds like some bible poo poo though

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Good god Spray n Pray is some OP gamebreaking poo poo in the early parts of the game.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

titties posted:

What are the prereqs for the butcher's bill quest? The doctor doesn't have any quests for me, just barter and healing. I have completed the first MILA placement. PAM still just talks about all processes are currently busy.

If I remember right, Boston After Dark is from Deacon but I can't complete it because the "secure the meeting site" objective is just inside the area of the map that is bugged out in my game and the whole thing crashes when I get inside 25 hud compass distance units.

Immediately after you do 'tradecraft' and are allowed into the headquarters, you should have to ask the doctor for I guess a main railroad mission, this lets you get the side missions from pam and tom.

I've only done it a few times, so its not exactly exhaustive testing, but so far its been complete tradecraft, get butchers bill from the doc, then work for pam until I get the cache.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

coyo7e posted:

I mean The Road was pretty forgettable, maybe it was in the movie I dunno sounds like some bible poo poo though

I haven't seen the movie. The description in the book is pretty long but this is my favorite bit:

quote:

The phalanx following carried spears or lances, tasseled with ribbons, the long blades hammered out of trucksprings in some crude forge up-country.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Zodium posted:

Do crashing vertibirds go through roofs? I closed off the Castle like a giant turtle so my babby Sims don't get shot by gunship. :ohdear:

Not 100% sure but it seems so. It crashed in the house, but it had a broken roof. I'm guessing it can fit through really small holes, much smaller than the Vertibird itself. I doubt it can literally fly through roofs, though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Everyone always goes on about how great Heavy Machinegun Turrets are, but it's actually more efficient on oil and circuitry to just build loads of standard turrets.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I prefer the Heavy Laser Turrets in most cases, as a lot of the settlements are pretty small. The ones who often get attacked anyway (the ones on the outskirts of Diamond City).

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Zodium posted:

At least the Castle has a great spawn point right outside.

The castle is the only place I enjoyed defending. You can shore up the walls and get a horde of super mutants charging down that isthmus to storm the gates only to get gibbed by your twenty rocket turrets... its fun and entertaining.

Every other place you try to do whatever, but its pointless because raiders are just spawning into your houses and swarming in from all sides, while your rocket turrets mostly just blow up your own poo poo and all those settlers you armed and armored are just lounging around down by the river huffing Jet.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I found the random doctor that appears and can apparently upgrade your level 3 clinic to level 4.... and uh... she said she'd work for me and then... never showed up at any of my bases. I sent her to Red Rocket but she never showed there, and she's not anywhere else. Does it just take time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I'm getting kinda bored with Kellog's gun. .44 ammo is becoming increasingly scarce since Kleo is the only one who has any, and only ~44 of them at a time.

• Locked thread