Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Thinking about it a bit more, what was the reason BB sent Solid to outer heaven in the first place?

I interpreted it as Big Boss needing some American to fail, creating the pretext for him to claim that Metal Gear is a necessary deterrent rather than some ultra-terrorism device. It would have let him seem like the good guy in the world's eyes, establishing Outer Heaven as a legitimate nation being threatened by American intervention. Snake's set up to get captured/killed/turned while in Outer Heaven, but ends up killing Venom, destroying Metal Gear and outing Big Boss, probably as a result of Miller turning on the Boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/news/20151126.html

Konami finally release the details on how to get the nuke cutscene and lists how many nukes ate left per platform. Pc has the most goddamnit. But xbox have almost zero.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
They actually just updated the nuke count on Twitter (for 26th vs. 25th in link above) and I guess will do so daily:

Metal Gear posted:

Here are the numbers for nuclear weapons owned per platform. By Nov 26th- PS4:349、PS3:215、One:81、360:75、Steam:15206

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Weird how steam is at 15k when that nuke tab only seems to ever list like 3 people with nukes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vikar Jerome posted:

Weird how steam is at 15k when that nuke tab only seems to ever list like 3 people with nukes.

Going by global achievement statistics, only 47.4% of players have completed Mission 20: Voices, which means even fewer of those players have FOBs at all. As an aside, only 20% have completed Mission 46: Truth. On average, 20% of people that buy any game never even play the first mission.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 27, 2015

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I've captured and decomissioned three nukes at this point but I think it's time that I build my own before I ruin it for everyone on Steam. Still, if I were on XBox, it'd be tempting to just keep churning out as many nukes as I could.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I sure hope at some point they fixed it so offline nuke building isn't possible at all (when they first shifted it to using Online Resources they allowed it to work Offline too if you were offline). On PC anything you can do offline can be hacked so we might never get the disarmament cutscene if a guy can just materialize 4+ nukes at will. Although honestly if someone had a save with multiple nukes they could keep replacing their save and waiting for online updates to migrate the nukes online, so it might not even require any sort of cheating program to gently caress over everyone.

Good luck, brave heroes of a nuclear-free world! Hopefully it's not a futile struggle. :smith:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i've captured and disarmed my first 35 nukes within a few hours. it was surprisingly easy and i finally got rid of ugly demon mode.

seem to be some weird bug though where the servers dont update in time so if you've disarmed them it still shows the world you have a bunch of nukes so you get invaded for phantom nukes that doesnt exist. you can tell which fob has phantom nukes when its a single fob with more than 4 nukes since you can only have 4 nukes per fob. if you do get invaded while you're online, quickly defend your fob and run straight for the phantom nukes and fulton them. then they are gone for good.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
Gotta say that Mission 45 is one of the worst missions in gaming history.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Nuke dismantling update:

Konami Japan posted:

PS4:228、PS3:153、One:50、360:65、Steam:13136

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

RACHET posted:

This game is really bad.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

RACHET posted:

Kojima said that this was finally the Metal Gear game he'd wanted to make all along. What he meant was that the entire series has been nothing more than backstory/worldbuilding for his anime waifu, who has memetically evolved from Sniper Wolf in MGS1 to Crying Wolf in MGS 4 and into her final form as QUIET: the naked superwoman who Hideo doesn't have to engage in conversation with because she won't talk.

E: Don't get me wrong, I loved the whole thing except for Quiet. I think finishing out the "lineage" of the Metal Gear Family Tree ties the broad themes of the characters off nicely:

Naked Snake is the memetic son of The Boss, Ocelot is the genetic son.

Peace Walker happens and Naked Snake feels detached from The Boss' vision, and relinquishes the name "Snake" and takes up the title he'd previously shunned, "Big Boss". 9 years later in 1984, he produces his memetic clone, Venom, to inherit his physical empire in the form of Mother Base while he forges his shadow empire Outer Heaven. By 1995, Venom has decided to rebel against Big Boss and claim the entirety of the identity for himself, which leads to his downfall by their son Solid. (at least, as I read it)

Big Boss has three genetic sons: Solid, Liquid, and Solidus.

Solidus is the direct clone of Big Boss, and is used by the Patriots to run their physical empire (America, as President) while they press on to create their shadow empire. In 2009 he rebels against them, which leads to his downfall by his "son", Raiden.

Liquid rebels entirely against Big Boss and everything he stands for at a young age.

Solid is the genetic son of Big Boss but is the memetic inheritor of The Boss: a legendary soldier fighting for peace and self-determination.

If you want to draw out the parallels between MGS2 and MGSV even more, Raiden could be said to be the memetic clone of Solid Snake: he's put through the entire Plant specifically to make him a clone of the "perfect soldier", it's only through Solid's intervention that Raiden goes free. Solid's ability to break the cycle of of megalomania and warlordism leads to the eventual dismantlement of Zero and Big Boss' corruption of The Boss' ideals.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 29, 2015

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
HAHAHAHAHAHAHaaaaa oh man. I love this game. I have 150+ hours into it and I've just now seen the 'playing in the rain' scene.

Best. Thing. Ever.

I happened to be wearing the Naked 'Naked' Snake Camo and I think that improved the aesthetic of the shot immensely. Me and my waifu having a cutesy moment in the midst of the madness.

People bitched I guess but I actually thought the piece was very well done and I appreciated having a Boss and Quiet scene without the peanut gallery of Master 'DARTH KAZ' Miller. The whole thing gave the off this very old operatic theatre quality. I like how her humming intensified into the low music that came up, I liked the stupid birds, I liked that Boss giggled. It was very 'underneath all the masks/memes we are all connected by the joyful exuberance of experiencing nature'.

That it pretty much cements the romance plot in my head is satisfying as well. I will let MY LOVE go for thematic background as to why I eventually descend, but it's gonna hurt. #ppain

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I didn't get that scene until I'd already done everything else in the game, and got Quiet back with the patch. I had no idea it was in the game before I saw it. Big Boss being reunited and playing in the rain with his girlfriend is the canon ending for me. :kimchi:

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Bloodcider posted:

I didn't get that scene until I'd already done everything else in the game, and got Quiet back with the patch. I had no idea it was in the game before I saw it. Big Boss being reunited and playing in the rain with his girlfriend is the canon ending for me. :kimchi:

How about now?

or now?

...now?

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
Dead thoughts in a dead thread?

Punished 'Venom' Snake

Sameal the 'Pride of God' /or the 'Venom of God'

ie Lucifer, the Mo[u]rning Star

ie the ego, the Ego, the possessor of the meme/gene/Dasein as its face/manifestation.

/:2bong:

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
The Boss is Sophia and Big Boss is Tzalboath, too.

All the same jokes line up so its funny at least.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Reminder that I'm right about everything.

countdown to kojima walking out on stage and saying "diamond dog is right about everything"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Diamond Dog is Joakim Mogren.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Diamond Dogs did nothing wrong. Nanomachines can't melt steel beams.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
MGS V The Phantom Pain is actually a demo for the true MGS 5.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Well, a Konami PR person received awards for MGSV in place of Kojima. Make of this what you will.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

because he's in la or was on a plane to la for the big "chapter 3 reveal" trailer and also chapters 4 and 5 and that diamond dog is right about everything.

also keifer is meant to be there too and quiet and donna burke and she keeps tweeting about a mysterious island full of butterflies and kojima keeps tweeting about season 3's and episode 3's of everything. its happening.

i hope keifer comes out on stage, pulls of a mask to reveal david hayter, who then pulls of a mask to reveal kojima. then chapter 3 logo fills up the screen with a release date of complete nuclear disarmament. no words or anything.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Lol if you're not participating in the ARG where you become a rogue mercenary and steal nukes and disarm them IRL

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Diamond Dogs did nothing wrong. Nanomachines can't melt steel beams.

Metallic Archaea did 9/11

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

This is really cool.

I gotta admit I spoiled myself on the twist before I played, and I wasn't feeling it just from reading about it, but by the time I got there in the game I was 100% on board. The actual experience of playing the game is what makes it. It's oddly like those old Japanese games where the credits would end with like "and starring... YOU, as Punished Snake"

This part was good:

quote:

Makime: I see. And Big Boss' organization in V is absolutely a band of criminals in the eyes of the world order. They can be viewed as a kind of war mafia, interfering in world conflicts to make money. But it's hard to see things that way when you're actually playing the game. Viewed from the outside, everything they do is unacceptably wrong, but playing as them makes you see them as good people. That's why I really like Huey's (Emmerich's) character in V. He always says the perfect thing to make you hate him at just the right time (laughs). He seems like the worst bad guy in the game, but viewed objectively that's not the case. As a civilian, he's actually closer to the player than any of the other characters. The things he says actually always make sense, but that just makes you hate him more. (laughs)

Makime: And Huey represents the only external opinion in what's otherwise an echo chamber. But in the game, the one person with those relatively sane opinions is the one who's forcefully thrown out by all the other Mother Base staff. Even when he's drifting away in the boat, he keeps shouting things like, "You're the bad guys! You're insane!" And it's like, you're right, but screw you. (laughs)

That might have been a lot clearer if Diamond Dogs was shown being represented in the media of America and other Western nations as being a terrible threat to world order, a band of renegades. That is to say, if Big Boss and his men were operating based on their own ideals, but were always presented as dangerous madmen by the media. And of course, Big Boss, Miller, and the rest keep increasing the scale of Mother Base despite that representation. They keep making themselves seem worse in the eyes of the world.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

nothing happened lol

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

sinking belle posted:

nothing happened lol

konami literally barred kojima from appearing on stage, we aren't ready for the bombs he was about to drop...

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Don't really get why Jade Raymond felt the need to take a pot shot at Kiefer, did have a good laugh when she accidentally read the GOTY winner early though

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

sinking belle posted:

nothing happened lol

Neverbegameover is loving amazing righr now. Breaking down left and right. 100 gently caress konami threads and miller quotes with the odd guy trying his best to refocus on disarming nukes. Nerds having an emotional break down will never not be funny.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Sure there's a black-eye on Konami's image, but that doesn't mean poo poo considering Konami's expected revenue source.

Mobile games and Pachinko gambling rely on people with poor impulse control to make money, so it's not like they could be boycotted. The only thing that could hurt them is the potentially impending legalization of real gambling (Pachinko is the main thing because it's skill based gambling or something where they give you a 'prize' that you can exchange next door for real money) shaking the japanese market up in a way that fucks over Konami big time.

Still, the fact that they have people capable of making DLC and instead they're just sort of shuffling around the major people into poo poo jobs at Konami until their contracts are up or they quit is loving wacky.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lovely Wizard posted:

Sure there's a black-eye on Konami's image, but that doesn't mean poo poo considering Konami's expected revenue source.

Mobile games and Pachinko gambling rely on people with poor impulse control to make money, so it's not like they could be boycotted. The only thing that could hurt them is the potentially impending legalization of real gambling (Pachinko is the main thing because it's skill based gambling or something where they give you a 'prize' that you can exchange next door for real money) shaking the japanese market up in a way that fucks over Konami big time.
There are many, many vultures of companies in the gambling world who would love to take a deep dive into Japan, and Konami's already being strongarmed by them everywhere else. On top of that, mobile gaming has already reached saturation point so they have to have a real good mobile game that catches on rapidly and all the mobile games they do have are floundering. Prospects aren't looking good for Konami the future premier fitness company

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 4, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

lovely Wizard posted:

Still, the fact that they have people capable of making DLC and instead they're just sort of shuffling around the major people into poo poo jobs at Konami until their contracts are up or they quit is loving wacky.

Konami from the outside, looks like the most blatant spiteful evil corporation. Konami executives could be found committing ritualistic animal sacrifices in front of their employees homes and I would not be surprised. It's like... Konami, Capcom and Bamco have been in a race to see who can say "gently caress you" the hardest to their own staff, fans and franchises. Capcom had been pulling ahead mostly because Bamco just hates making money, while Capcom hates you, but Konami didn't want to lose the race so it literally skullfucked its way into first horrifying everyone in the process.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't feel like Capcom is evil so much as incompetent. They're kind of just limping along with their franchises even though the creative people who made Capcom a powerhouse during the PS2 era are long gone.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Onmi posted:

...literally...

You are everything wrong with the world.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Ometeotl posted:

You are everything wrong with the world.

Skull Face was obviously a prescriptivist like yourself. you monster

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Had no idea this could happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwwJdRWfvSM

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ocelot says you have 3 days before he probably dies in the intro but yeah it surprised me too when I replayed it to complete tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How exactly do you get this to happen? Is the time limit Ocelot gave you literal, that is if you don't play the mission for a few days or wait around a certain amount of time Kaz will be dead when you find him?

• Locked thread