Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
which classes are the most interesting? I am fine with any playstyle, I just want to try some new stuff. I realize this game is basically a reskin of wow but there are probably a few new ideas and mechanics to check out. I havent looked at everything yet but so far ninja and astrologian seem fun. any other recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Machinist is really fun for me, but it's not something you can play as from the beginning of the game. Ditto for Astrologian.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Once you get a couple of DOTs as arcanist (and when you get your scholar / summoner stone) they get interesting.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mr. Unlucky posted:

which classes are the most interesting?

this is a question that won't be answered well because everyone will just answer with the class they play as

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015
I recently started playing.

What are the biggest do's and don'ts that I should know about?

On Odin atm as NA servers gave latency issues. Any members on there as well?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr. Unlucky posted:

which classes are the most interesting?

Well, what interests you?

Tanks usually lead the pack, and WARs get to do that while dealing damage.

Healers keep everything up, WHMs get to play chicken with people's lives and try to join in on the killing fun.

BRD/MCH are your usual damage dealing role with some support baked in you may never use.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Mr. Unlucky posted:

which classes are the most interesting? I am fine with any playstyle, I just want to try some new stuff. I realize this game is basically a reskin of wow but there are probably a few new ideas and mechanics to check out. I havent looked at everything yet but so far ninja and astrologian seem fun. any other recommendations?
I don't have a Ninja yet, but Monk is fairly different with the posistional requirement. I thought it would be pretty annoying but I actually find out really fun. As a bonus they're one of the more fun classes at low levels. Black Mage also is fairly unique (that's my only 60 so far) but I think Monk is more fun.

Warrior is a blast but not really all that unique mechanically. Scholar/Summoner is OK once you can spread DOTs. Dragoon and Bard I have in the 30s and find pretty dull.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

thm is one of the most boring classes in the game at lower levels

It sucks when you're synced down. The first time through as thaumaturage, it's actually interesting.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I would actually recommend Archer as a good gateway into the game. You get most of your toolkit rather early on so combat gets pretty active straight away compared to other jobs that really don't open up for quite some time.

Why do people keep suggesting archer when they specifically said they hated the style of just mashing everything when it's on cooldown? Archer plays the most like WoW of any other class and in light of what they are requesting is a goddamned terrible suggestion.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Admittedly I wasn't reading very well, my bad. :v:

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I always felt that Scholar is the most unique class they have. Shield healers aren't anything special, but a healer with a pet is pretty different. Coupled with their potent DD spells they're pretty great.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Black_Oni 165 posted:

Do always prioritize the Main Story Quests that have the meteor symbol. You need to go through the MSQ line to unlock most of the 4-man dungeons and a ton of additional side features and content (including but not limited to: Grand Company membership, mounts, a challenge log of side activities for bonus exp, item storage, many many other things). The MSQ also tends to place you near important side quests for non-story dungeons and whatnot; they are the signposts for exploring the game world.

Do always go back to your guild in the city every 5 levels and keep up to date on those quests as well. The L15 and L30 quests award you unique skills and you need the quests finished in order to get your advanced job at 30. Also, at 30, stop everything and get that advanced job sorted out immediately. Go back to your guild to either start it or see what other job you need to level.

Don't leave any of the million side quests behind if you can help it. You don't have to do them all, just don't think that you need to save any for leveling other jobs; they are there for your first job and there's faster ways to level successive ones.

Don't think you need to be married to a single job. XIV encourages job-switching and trying out different playstyles as you level; you will need to put a bit of time into other jobs anyway to unlock your advanced job and get cross-class skills. That said when you get to max level you're probably going to be prioritizing one job for awhile.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Black_Oni 165 posted:

DO
- Keep up with the Main Story Quests (the quests with the flaming meteor icons) on your first class; they're required for unlocking basically everything, while also being your main source of EXP on your first class.
- Keep up with your class quests in your class's guild hall. They unlock abilities at level 15 and 30 and unlock your Job stone at 30.
- Unlock your Job Stone at 30 (so hit 15 on the second class you need to get it), then keep up with the Job quests every 5 levels as ALL of them unlock abilities.
- Any quest above level 5 in a major city, it probably unlocks something. Of special note: the challenge log is unlocked in the Limsa Lominsa Adventurer's guild at level 15, and gives you bonus EXP for things you'll already be doing.
- Try other classes. FF14 makes it super easy to change your roll on the fly, and having multiple roles you can fill is a great boon, especially at 60. You can also grab cross-class abilities early, Raging Strikes on ARC and Internal Release on PGL being particularly useful and easy to grab.
- Stop to smell the roses. Give the gold saucer a shot when you unlock it. Try crafting if that sort of thing interests you. Talk to random NPCs from the MSQ after cutscenes. You don't need to feel rushed, you can even switch to a different class as your main midway through leveling if you think it might be more fun. 100% bonus EXP on combat classes lower than your highest make this very easy.

DON'T
- Save quests if you want to do them, but want to keep them for your next class you level. Quests aren't very good sources of EXP past level 15 (that's roulettes), unlike WoW, most of them were to fill in for when MSQ gave you less EXP in the past, but they're still filled with lore tidbits.
- Let your weapon fall behind, or your left side armor if you're a tank class. The "Weapon Damage" stat functions as a force multiplier on all your other stats so it's a big deal, and for tanks the two Defense stats are fairly important. Vendors and the market board can keep you up to date for your second+ classes.

As for Odin, as far as I know there isn't really any large goon presence outside of Excalibur.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm still not a fan of MCH, I dumped some eso into it because I figured maybe my gear was just lovely and when your gear improves maybe the class comes together a bit

it does not, imo

back to the drawing board. I wish I could just queue as a DPS warrior, that's possibly my favorite thing. Fell Cleaves are hilarious. Maybe I'll just play blm since that's the big numbers spec

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Warrior and Dark Knight are cool tanks with fun mechanics. Warrior essentially has combo points to do additional moves (that hit really hard and are generally awesome) and Dark Knight has to manage their manage in addition to TP for some cool stuff. Monk has the most fluid and open combo options, though it has to deal with positionals on nearly every attack, so ymv if you like that or not.

Thumbtacks posted:

back to the drawing board. I wish I could just queue as a DPS warrior, that's possibly my favorite thing. Fell Cleaves are hilarious. Maybe I'll just play blm since that's the big numbers spec

Drg is the third in terms of pursuit of big rear end crits, but BotD is a much better form of Enochian.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 28, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eimi posted:

WoW, SWTOR, AoC, WAR, Aion, TERA, tried Blade and Soul, FFXI, probably more than I can think of. The only one that would come close is WoW, and I only played very casually in MoP, but I felt the classes I played then (Frost DK, Ret PLD) were very simple compared to Mnk and Drg. Granted it might be because XIV doesn't allow the panoply of UI mods that simplify poo poo that WoW does.

:lol:

FFXIV's classes are more complex than Aion's? Yeah no. Give me the positioning requirements of FFXIV melee DPS over the skill blitz, auto-attack clipping clusterfuck, that is Aion.

I'd love to have a Warrior Priest melee healer in FFXIV though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol:

FFXIV's classes are more complex than Aion's? Yeah no. Give me the positioning requirements of FFXIV melee DPS over the skill blitz, auto-attack clipping clusterfuck, that is Aion.

I'd love to have a Warrior Priest melee healer in FFXIV though.

I never played just melee just Sorc, a class I really enjoyed and is one of my fav mmo mages. :shrug: (I also quit at like 30 because I am not a pvper.)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Eimi posted:

Drg is the third in terms of pursuit of big rear end crits, but BotD is a much better form of Enochian.

I find Enochian a lot more enjoyable than Blood of the Dragon. I feel like Blood of the Dragon requires me to pay too much attention to how much time is left on it before I use Geirskogul, while with Enochian I've gotten into a rhythm where I know about how long I can spend in fire before switching to ice to refresh it.

Of course, BLM is my main and I play it a lot more than DRG so I've gotten a lot of practice with Enochian. It just clicked with me faster than Blood of the Dragon did

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I find Enochian a lot more enjoyable than Blood of the Dragon. I feel like Blood of the Dragon requires me to pay too much attention to how much time is left on it before I use Geirskogul, while with Enochian I've gotten into a rhythm where I know about how long I can spend in fire before switching to ice to refresh it.

Of course, BLM is my main and I play it a lot more than DRG so I've gotten a lot of practice with Enochian. It just clicked with me faster than Blood of the Dragon did

I'm by no means a DRG expert, I recently came back since 3.1 and I've spent that time trying to find a new class to main, as I initially really loathed Enochian. So I've been bouncing between nin, drg, and blm. You are right that the timing for Geirskogul is a pain, and I kinda get around that by not using it til I KNOW it's really safe, so I'm a terrible drg, but it feels like I can play a decent level and just not worry about BotD, as it builds up vs Enochian counting down.

I've given blm another chance, and while I'm not as down on Enochian as I was when I first hit 60, any kind of complicated fight I just fall apart and hate myself and the class.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm still not a fan of MCH, I dumped some eso into it because I figured maybe my gear was just lovely and when your gear improves maybe the class comes together a bit

it does not, imo

Are you the goon Vas Eversoul (me) spoke to lengths about and read logs with? MCH takes a time investment before it starts making sense and more time to get it right.

Personally I'm souring to it, even tho i think I've got it. Missing even one cooldown because of lag in your wildfire rotation is the most infuriating thing in this game.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Are you the goon Vas Eversoul (me) spoke to lengths about and read logs with? MCH takes a time investment before it starts making sense and more time to get it right.

Personally I'm souring to it, even tho i think I've got it. Missing even one cooldown because of lag in your wildfire rotation is the most infuriating thing in this game.

no, i'm Lt. Mittens

ironically i made the MCH guide on ffgoons and while I was making it I was painfully aware that I hated the class and still have not come to terms with it, i don't like having to weave 15 oGCDs in a row

i'm tempted to go bard because i do like the idea of a physical caster and they don't seem TOO complex (also i like MCH gear and bard shares a lot of it)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Meiteron posted:

Do always prioritize the Main Story Quests that have the meteor symbol. You need to go through the MSQ line to unlock most of the 4-man dungeons and a ton of additional side features and content (including but not limited to: Grand Company membership, mounts, a challenge log of side activities for bonus exp, item storage, many many other things). The MSQ also tends to place you near important side quests for non-story dungeons and whatnot; they are the signposts for exploring the game world.

Do always go back to your guild in the city every 5 levels and keep up to date on those quests as well. The L15 and L30 quests award you unique skills and you need the quests finished in order to get your advanced job at 30. Also, at 30, stop everything and get that advanced job sorted out immediately. Go back to your guild to either start it or see what other job you need to level.

Don't leave any of the million side quests behind if you can help it. You don't have to do them all, just don't think that you need to save any for leveling other jobs; they are there for your first job and there's faster ways to level successive ones.

Don't think you need to be married to a single job. XIV encourages job-switching and trying out different playstyles as you level; you will need to put a bit of time into other jobs anyway to unlock your advanced job and get cross-class skills. That said when you get to max level you're probably going to be prioritizing one job for awhile.

I just started playing and I agree and appreciate all this. I have a hard time balancing doing FATES, Leves, and Story quests. Over all, I enjoy the classes way more than WoW (PUG, ROG soon to be ninja)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Geirskogul timing is easy. Give your botd buff a quick glance after your combo finisher. If greater than 23 seconds, you're always safe to pop one off before the next combo. Depending on our gcd and how much you need to move, you can get one off when you have 21 seconds left, but that might be tight. If BotD will be off cooldown before you hit the last button on your combo and you don't have a jump you need to do, pop gierskogul regardless of time left. In that situation I usually hit geirskogul in the same gap between GCDs as BotD.

It basically works out if you have around 2.35ish GCD that you can use geirskogul after each combo finisher following your chaos thrust and you won't drop it. If you have a speed buff from Selene or an arrow from an astro, it makes it even easier, but don't try to squeeze in two ogcds when you have the speed buff otherwise you'll clip your globals.

Edit: note that timings shift a bit if you're using pots but odds are 99% of people will never have to worry about pots so don't sweat it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Thyrork posted:

No, that's me.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Thumbtacks posted:

no, i'm Lt. Mittens

ironically i made the MCH guide on ffgoons and while I was making it I was painfully aware that I hated the class and still have not come to terms with it, i don't like having to weave 15 oGCDs in a row

i'm tempted to go bard because i do like the idea of a physical caster and they don't seem TOO complex (also i like MCH gear and bard shares a lot of it)

Ha! You're guide was my foundation I built upon to refine the class at 60. :haw:

And yeah, the 15 oGCD weaving is... its not awful by itself, is awful when it fails to fire and you watch as your wildfire ends up being significantly lower.... and then you realise one of your cd's didn't go off. :argh: :bang: :nsamad: :arghfist::mad:

Hivac posted:

No, that's me.

:whatup:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Ha! You're guide was my foundation I built upon to refine the class at 60. :haw:

And yeah, the 15 oGCD weaving is... its not awful by itself, is awful when it fails to fire and you watch as your wildfire ends up being significantly lower.... and then you realise one of your cd's didn't go off. :argh: :bang: :nsamad: :arghfist::mad:

:whatup:

well my guide is garbage now and hopefully people know enough to use the one on the official forums

and yeah that's mostly why i stopped playing mch

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
New/trial players, keep this unlock guide handy for reference. There is quite a lot of side features that require side quests to get.

The challenge log is a huge boon to progression but kind of out of the way unless you are in Limsa often.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I have MCH at 55 and I absolutely love it. It just fits me so well. I enjoyed levelling DRG but since I started working on MCH, DRG seems so boring now. I hope more people try MCH its a really fun job.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/273213-Diadem-Savage-If-you-people-were-actually-good...

Isn't there a poo poo OF people say twitter or something? This should be it's background.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

Fishious posted:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/273213-Diadem-Savage-If-you-people-were-actually-good...

Isn't there a poo poo OF people say twitter or something? This should be it's background.

now thats some high-quality OF posting

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If raiders were good they could clear A3S at level 1 with no gear on. Anything that makes your character stronger is a crutch for cupcakes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fishious posted:

:allears:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Fishious posted:

I saw that in the list of threads, but instead choice to click on the one that called for loot to be removed from unsynced primals.

Clearly I made the wrong choice.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Finally got into Excalibur! Excited to check this out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dross posted:

Make sure you go to http://forums.ffgoons.com/ make an account and follow the instructions to join one of the goon FCs.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dross posted:

Welcome, and remember to ask people to craft you sets of gear instead of blowing a bunch of gil on the AH every few levels. Goons are almost always willing to help with things like that.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Wow. Everyone was right when they said the DRK30-50 job quests were...something else. They were everything I was hoping for and more. It was totally worth leveling this up during Thanksgiving break.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I did Pharos Sirius Hard for the first time tonight and loved it. I especially loved fighting my FFT bud Construct 8.

Think it's kind of lame that you fight him 4 times though. I guess it's meant to be 4 different robots that are all named Construct 8. Wouldn't it have made more sense to give them different numbers, like maybe Construct 5, Construct 6? Am I wrong and it's actually the same robot each time, somehow running away after getting firebombed? (I don't think it is and I think I'm just being extremely finicky due to FFT fanboyism) :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Wow. Everyone was right when they said the DRK30-50 job quests were...something else. They were everything I was hoping for and more. It was totally worth leveling this up during Thanksgiving break.

One plot hole... How can your imaginary trainer heal you.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

hobbesmaster posted:

One plot hole... How can your imaginary trainer heal you.

Because they're not imaginary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Make sure you go to http://forums.ffgoons.com/ make an account and follow the instructions to join one of the goon FCs.

I've done that now; my character name is Citation Needed if anyone in Third Party Tools is online and near Limsa Lominsa.

• Locked thread