Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Vessel seems like a comfortable middle ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Woolie: Doesn't do Patreon, does do noted super scumbag company Uber

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

He isn't against it because of a moral opposition, it's because he (and the other guys) feel there's a sense of obligation that comes with Patreon's format. We've been through this before.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I think it was touched on before but supposedly there are extenuating circumstances that prevent them from using Patreon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not familiar with canadian tax laws, but I'm assuming between Machinia paying for their miscellaneous expenses and a relatively mid-tier channel in video views (Like, compared to Game grumps) and can still fully support 4 households, seems like it's working fine right now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yardbomb posted:

I got chewed out by Woolie on twitter when I talked about that.

Apparently the cab drivers in his area are shady as gently caress and won't pick up a guy if he's black.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Hell, isn't DSP making 6 figures from Patreon?

With enough decimal points, everyone is making six figures!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I got chewed out by Woolie on twitter when I talked about that.

Apparently the cab drivers in his area are shady as gently caress and won't pick up a guy if he's black.

I mean, if the choices are cabs that treat their customers like poo poo, or Uber that treats their drivers like poo poo, I'd take the latter every time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

I mean, if the choices are cabs that treat their customers like poo poo, or Uber that treats their drivers like poo poo, I'd take the latter every time.

Uber also treats their customers poorly though is the thing. They also treat reporters, politicians and so on who call them out on their stuff poorly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

Uber also treats their customers poorly though is the thing. They also treat reporters, politicians and so on who call them out on their stuff poorly.

Uber has a lot of questionable business practices (and so do cab companies, but that's besides the point), but I'm not gonna call out a dude that looks like Woolie for using the service that doesn't fly right past by him at night. :shrug:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dias posted:

Uber has a lot of questionable business practices (and so do cab companies, but that's besides the point), but I'm not gonna call out a dude that looks like Woolie for using the service that doesn't fly right past by him at night. :shrug:

Oh yeah I don't even mean the stuff about Woolie here (It was mostly a joke in the first place :shobon:) , he can do whatever if it's the only choice, I just like to gripe about Uber.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

Oh yeah I don't even mean the stuff about Woolie here (It was mostly a joke in the first place :shobon:) , he can do whatever if it's the only choice, I just like to gripe about Uber.

Ugh, Uber just got into my city last week, bringing a massive shitstorm and a driver getting ambushed and lynched by cab drivers, so I get it, I'm just tired of it, hehe.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Dias posted:

Ugh, Uber just got into my city last week, bringing a massive shitstorm and a driver getting ambushed and lynched by cab drivers, so I get it, I'm just tired of it, hehe.

Cabbies can go gently caress themselves

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Id rather Sega made a Crazy Uber than a new Crazy Taxi

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Id rather Sega made a Crazy Uber than a new Crazy Taxi

Will there be a chance to randomly get a game over because you complained to on the internet about questionable employee policies?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dias posted:

lynched huh.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yep. Aiming at something here?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Aw, I wanted it the other way around, cute Zach with the meaner sounding name I forgot.

It's weird, I haven't followed Uber stuff too closely, I've for awhile I heard a lot of stuff about them being shady as gently caress, then literally everything I see for my city's subreddit is overwhelmingly in favor of Uber because the cabbies/cab company in my city is apparently horrible.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Oxyclean posted:

It's weird, I haven't followed Uber stuff too closely, I've for awhile I heard a lot of stuff about them being shady as gently caress, then literally everything I see for my city's subreddit is overwhelmingly in favor of Uber because the cabbies/cab company in my city is apparently horrible.

Yeah, without derailing the thread too much, Uber is predatory as gently caress and screws their drivers, but cab companies tend to not be so great either - and Uber has a veneer of "coolness" around it, while cabbies are chain-smoking conservative fucks according to most people. So when Uber gets somewhere, they work that angle hard to get people behind them, and it's not untrue, but it also doesn't make Uber less aggressive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Uber is made up of huge, abusive, scumbags who have nothing but disdain for both driver and rider alike, but of all the people to carry the smallest amount of water possible for them a black dude liking them because in his area cabbies are racist as gently caress probably has the most reasonable reason to support a different flavor of scumbag than the baseline scumbag cabbie so it's just genuinely hard to give any amount of poo poo about Woolie sometimes saying "Uber is good".

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Every time I see people poo poo on Uber I just think about how the competition is Noted Bastions of Honesty Traditional Cab Services.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Every time I see people poo poo on Uber I just think about how the competition is Noted Bastions of Honesty Traditional Cab Services.

They can both be total poo poo, invest in a bike or something :v:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
On a barely-more-on-topic note, I was reading the current SA Undertale LP because i frickin love undertale and also I tend to miss tons of easter eggs because I'm actually liam irl. For example, apparently you can enter Sans' room if you go thru his true pacifist spiel three times by reloading your save after it WHAT.

frickin' undertale

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

They can both be total poo poo, invest in a bike or something :shrug:

Cabs are for when you are trashed or otherwise stuck, situations in which a bike is not useful.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Rodyle posted:

Somehow Uber manages to be worse on a much larger scale. Like the time a driver raped a passenger in Dehli and they refused to talk to the investigators. It was then banned, but they continued to operate and sent everyone with an account (including the rape victim) a coupon.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dias posted:

Yep. Aiming at something here?

link to the news story?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i just want to read the story about the uber driver murdered by a gang of cab drivers

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

scary ghost dog posted:

i just want to read the story about the uber driver murdered by a gang of cab drivers

Not murdered, just severely beaten. I'm trying to find the news in English. but all I can find is a reddit post linking to cellphone footage of what happened: https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/3uhv4k/

and here's the source in Portuguese, if you wanna Google Translate it: http://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/noticia/2015/11/motorista-e-agredido-por-taxistas-em-estacionamento-de-porto-alegre.html

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

You guys made me check the name of the thread.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

PiedPiper posted:

You guys made me check the name of the thread.

One, this is dangerously close to a "I saw X posts and thought..." post. Two, yeah, I don't wanna derail the thread further, just giving the guy the sources he wanted. :shrug:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I remember when I first found the thread suggesting the Best Friends getting a Paypal tipjar or Patreon or something because I wanted to help support them.

I remember drat near everyone trying to shout me out of the thread for suggesting that. Good times, good times.

But, seriously, though. I'd be down for supporting a Patreon/tipjar to see a SaltyBet video/stream every week/month. That poo poo was the best.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They have a tipjar. It's called Vessel.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dias posted:

Not murdered, just severely beaten. I'm trying to find the news in English. but all I can find is a reddit post linking to cellphone footage of what happened: https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/3uhv4k/

and here's the source in Portuguese, if you wanna Google Translate it: http://g1.globo.com/rs/rio-grande-do-sul/noticia/2015/11/motorista-e-agredido-por-taxistas-em-estacionamento-de-porto-alegre.html

thanks, this isnt technically a lynching, a word which refers to extrajudicial execution. you used very specific racially charged language to describe an uber driver getting beaten up by taxi drivers lol. thanks for doubling down on your word choice so i could slam you like this, youre guilty of exaggerated slang slinging dumbass.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Rodyle posted:

They have a tipjar. It's called Vessel.

Yeah, and I use it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

thanks, this isnt technically a lynching, a word which refers to extrajudicial execution. you used very specific racially charged language to describe an uber driver getting beaten up by taxi drivers lol. thanks for doubling down on your word choice so i could slam you like this, youre guilty of exaggerated slang slinging dumbass.
You are very strange.

pulp rag posted:

Yeah, and I use it.
Good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dias posted:

One, this is dangerously close to a "I saw X posts and thought..." post. Two, yeah, I don't wanna derail the thread further, just giving the guy the sources he wanted. :shrug:

wow.....yeah guy be careful, you dont want to make posts that veer too close to the "I saw X posts and thought" type or youll be in danger.........this idiot will report you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I saw x post and they made me think about how X is a cool letter

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I saw X and it reminded me that XenobladeX

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ah, well, I figured it was a troll. Ignored and I'll move on - and so should you.

edit: in a fruitless effort to keep the shitposting away, Capcom Cup is next week. If you guys are even vaguely interested in Street Fighter, it's probably gonna be a blast. I'm looking at the brackets and it's so stacked, going 0-2 isn't even embarassing, it's just unlucky.

Dias fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Improbable Lobster posted:

truly, x gave it to us all