Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

Destroyermen

Also, Grunts by Mary Gentle (more or less).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Elves 360 Boys At rifle noscoping uruk-SS Ferdinants from 3 km away by hitting them through the optics.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JcDent posted:

Elves 360 Boys At rifle noscoping uruk-SS Ferdinants from 3 km away by hitting them through the optics.

I think you guys want this thread for that. :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Five wars the United States should not have fought

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

What in god's name is the difference between necessity and choice in the context of this article? :psyduck:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
why isn't the mexican american war on this list, we were total douchebags getting into that conflict and recognized as such by protestors at the time

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

why isn't the mexican american war on this list, we were total douchebags getting into that conflict and recognized as such by protestors at the time

Seriously, I wondered this too.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Hmm both the mexican american war and the spanish american war, both wars where the US gained a large amount of territory by starting them on flimsy pretenses, arnt on there. HOW STRANGE

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

That article isn't denouncing war mongering, it seems to be denouncing wars that we don't get anything out of it. We got lots of good stuff out of the Mexican American war. And Texas, too.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

In Mesopotamia, General Townshend has now decided, in the style of Hollywood, to remake an old classic. His is the Siege of Chitral Fort back in 1895; now he's going to pull his men back to Kut and play at being the anvil so someone else can be the hammer. In more practical news, his retreat is being delayed because one of his boats is stuck fast on a sandbank. Fourth Isonzo is still a thing that's happening; the weather on Gallipoli turns to snow and freezes some men to death, still in their summer uniforms (with an update from one Lieutenant Clement Attlee); and Flora Sandes nearly comes to a sticky end.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

sullat posted:

That article isn't denouncing war mongering, it seems to be denouncing wars that we don't get anything out of it. We got lots of good stuff out of the Mexican American war. And Texas, too.

The Black Hills War is a weird inclusion and the only rationale I can think for it is as a token "war mongering bad" example but it was such a tiny conflict and the US benefited from it anyway.

Lakota and Cheyenne alliance is quite powerful and a serious threat to further western expansion and settlement After a bunch of conflict they're granted the Great Sioux Reservation by treaty, which is the western half of what is now South Dakota, including the Black Hills (their traditional wintering grounds and the most sacred location in their religions). When gold is discovered in the Black Hills there's a rush of white settlers (illegally) into the Native territories. Tribes retaliate, Custer is sent in with Seventh Cav and they get owned at Little Bighorn.

Also worth noting a factual inaccuracy, the US took control of the western (not eastern) half of SD.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 28, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

Well now I want to hear about this.

Pellisworth posted:

Tribes retaliate, Custer is sent in with Seventh Cav and they get owned at Little Bighorn.

All I know about Custer and Little Bighorn comes via Little Big Man. Custer getting killed is a stand up and cheer moment.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Something tells me the Black Hills War is only on there because they felt they need to recognize that the genocide of the Native Americans was A Bad Thing, but they didn't feel like talking about it at all.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Something tells me the Black Hills War is only on there because they felt they need to recognize that the genocide of the Native Americans was A Bad Thing, but they didn't feel like talking about it at all.

Yup pretty much.

Broke some treaties and invaded to protect illegal white settlers, but they beat us at Little Bighorn so let's call it even, eh?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pellisworth posted:

Yup pretty much.

Broke some treaties and invaded to protect illegal white settlers, but they beat us at Little Bighorn so let's call it even, eh?

We committed genocide against native Americans but we actually gained a bit from doing this so I can't put this as a war we should not have fought

Black hills war - massacre of white people, done. Next point...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well now I want to hear about this.

Hear about what? How the US were douchebags, or about the protests against the war? I don't think there were any rallies like you'd see during Vietnam or 2nd Iraq, but people certainly criticized Polk in writing.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Agean90 posted:

Hmm both the mexican american war and the spanish american war, both wars where the US gained a large amount of territory by starting them on flimsy pretenses, arnt on there. HOW STRANGE

Yeah. The good news is that if Texas ever gets retaken by the mexicans we can just use Imperial Reconquest CB :thumbsup:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i will start a war to get mexico to take it back

please

anyway, nebuchanezzar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican%E2%80%93American_War#Opposition_to_the_war

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo they directed cannon fire on a church.

They really hated Papists.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sullat posted:

Seems to me like it wasn't worth it then.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I read somewhere about souvenir taking of both sides was pretty gruesome. Like its hard to defend taking scalps and both sides generally did it. The one that got me is troopers specifically removing scrotums to turn into tobacco pouches.
Think I read it in that big ol time life brown compendium on the Wild West. Always kinda stuck with me.
What the gently caress.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

I read somewhere about souvenir taking of both sides was pretty gruesome. Like its hard to defend taking scalps and both sides generally did it. The one that got me is troopers specifically removing scrotums to turn into tobacco pouches.
Think I read it in that big ol time life brown compendium on the Wild West. Always kinda stuck with me.
What the gently caress.

Not sure if you're referencing the Mexican-American or Great Sioux Wars (I suspect the former), but scalping was definitely a thing among Plains Indians.

It's worthwhile to remember that European settlement of the American West was a gradual process and the native tribes were massively influenced by it. By the time you get to the Great Sioux War and Custer's last stand at Little Bighorn, most of the Lakota are settled on reservations or at least partially dependent on federal rations, the elements you have still actively resisting are a minority traditionalist faction.

The Lakota, perhaps the most iconic and (in)famous of the plains tribes that violently resisted conquest, were originally much more sedentary and lived somewhere around Minnesota prior to European contact. Then they got horses in the 18th century, and European westward expansion forced them mostly across the Missouri and into a nomadic horse-based culture. Opposite the fate of most Native American tribes, the Lakota Sioux actually grew rapidly in population and became very powerful, leading to conflict with settlers. A Lakota-Cheyenne alliance defeats the US in the Red Cloud (Bozeman) War (1866-1868) and establishes by treaty the Great Sioux Reservation, which was supposed to be an independent territory for Native Americans who did not want to settle on the existing reservations. It's worth noting at this point that in the grand scheme of things these are small-scale frontier conflicts involving hundreds to several thousands of combatants on each side and lots of raiding and ambush warfare.

Not much later, gold was discovered in the Black Hills of western South Dakota, traditionally the wintering grounds of the Lakota and a sacred location--in their mythology, the first man and woman emerged from a cave there. In violation of treaty agreements there was a huge gold rush (the US federal government could not give less of a gently caress), settlers come into violent contact with the native inhabitants of the Black Hills and Great Sioux Reservation. Eventually Custer and the 7th Cav is sent in as part of the Great Sioux War (1876-1877) and they get their asses handed to them, though the Lakota alliance eventually disintegrates and they're settled on reservations.

Edit: I guess my amateur historian takeaway is that the Lakota-Cheyenne alliance won the battles but lost the wars in the sense that the continuous European settlement and devastation of bison herds meant their traditional way of life was simply untenable. So they were forced into surrender and settlement on reservations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_bison#Hunting

The US military actively encouraged hunting of bison as a means to force plains indians into surrender. I have a friend who did his thesis on bison population genetics and the ballpark guess is about 50 million bison prior to the Civil War, down to about 10% of that following settlement during and after, and then 1% after the Sioux Wars and military encouragement of harvesting.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 29, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pellisworth posted:

Not sure if you're referencing the Mexican-American or Great Sioux Wars (I suspect the former), but scalping was definitely a thing among Plains Indians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_bison#Hunting

Was in reference to plains warfare. Not like the Natives were any better with torture and disfigurement totally a thing to do with captives.

Humans suck.

Addddd I did a google search on it... gently caress.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Scalping and related torture/disfigurement or bison hunting?

The US gov't and military actively encouraged extermination of bison herds to weaken (genocide lol) the plains tribes.

Edit: also worth pointing out that this isn't remotely the worst poo poo the US has done to Native Americans. Just more recent stuff with some fairly successful resistance and a lot of cultural iconography in Westerns and such.

Edit2: and since we're on the topic, the French were way cooler toward Indians than after the Louisiana Purchase though the Plains tribes were still fiercely independent.

As a bit of trivia, there is a Lakota language slur for mixed-race persons (Lakota and European blood) that literally means "translator"
Many French traders would intentionally marry Native wives in order to learn the language and produce bilingual offspring, thus mixed-race = translators.
And now it's a slur, woohoo 'Murica

it's something containing ska "white" but I'm unsure of the transliteration. ceska, I think.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 29, 2015

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I have a little illustrated coffee table book full of first hand accounts of the Indian Wars from the Indian perspective. it's really :smith:

Sarah Winnemucca posted:

1883: On the Caues of Warfare Between Paiutes and Whites

In 1865 we had another trouble with our white brothers. it was early in the spring, and we were then living at Dayton Nevada, when a company of soldiers came through the place and stopped and spoke to some of my people, and said, 'You have been stealing cattle from the white people at Harney Lake.' They said also that they would kill everything that came in their way, men, women, and children ... The days after they left were very sad hours, indeed.. Oh, dear readers, these soldiers had gone only sixty miles away to Muddy Lake, where my people were then living and fishing, and doing nothing to any one. The soldiers rode up to their encampment and fired into it, and killed almost all the people that were there. Oh, it is a fearful thing to tell, but it must be told. Yes, it must be told by me. It was all old men, women and children that were killed; for my father had all the young men with him, at the sink of Carson on a hunting excursion, or they would have been killed too. After the soldiers had killed all but some little children and babies still tied up in their baskets, the soldiers took them also, and set the camp on fire and threw them into the flames to see them burn alive. I had one baby brother killed there. My sister jumped on father's best horse and ran away. As she ran, the soldiers ran after her; but thanks be to the Good Father in the Spirit-land, my dear sister got away. This almost killed my poor papa. Yet my people kept peaceful...

About two weeks after this, two white men were killed over at Walker Lake by some of my people, and of course soldiers were sent for from California, and a great many companies came. They went after my people all over Nevada. Reports were made every-where throughout the whole country by the white settlers, that the red devils were killing their cattle, and by this lying of the white settlers the trail began which is marked by the blood of my people from hill to hill and from valley to valley. The soldiers followed after my people in this way for one year ... these reports were only made by those white settlers so that they could sell their grain, which they could not get rid of in any other way. The only way the cattle-men and farmers get to make money is to start an Indian war, so that the troops may come and buy their beef, cattle, horses, and grain. The settlers get fat by it.

Chief Eskiminzin posted:

1871: On the Massacre of his People by the Citizens of Tucson Including Two Wives and Five Children

I was the first to come in and make peace before and was happy in my home here. i got my rations every three days. I was not living far from here. I was making tiswin [a drink] in peace, when one morning I and my people were attacked, and many of them were killed. The next day after the massacre I came into this camp because I knew it was not the people here who had done it; it was the people from Tucson and Papagos. I then continued to live here in the valley for nearly thirty days, when my people were again attacked; this time it was by a squad of military men, and although none of my people were killed, yet that made me mad, and I went on the warpath. I now admit I did wrong, but I was grieved and angry, and I could not help it. the one who first breaks the peace is the one who is to blame.

I believe Commissioner [Vincent] Coyler [Board of Indian Commissioners Secretary] has come to make peace ... The commissioner has sent out for me ... and probably thought he would see a great captain, but he only saw a very poor man, and not very much of a captain. Then I had a band of seventy men, but they had all been massacred; now I have got no people. Ever since I left this place I have been in the neighborhood; I knew I had friends here, but I was afraid to come back; but as soon as I heard the commissioner was here then I came in. I never had much to say, but this I could say - I like this place. I have said all I ought to say, since I have no people anywhere to speak for. If it had not been for the massacre, ther would have been a great many more people here now; but after that massacre, who could have stood it?
When I made peace with Lieutenant [Royal E.] Whitman my heart was very big and happy. The people of Tucson and San Xavier [Papagos] must be crazy. They acted as though the had neither heads nor hearts ... The people of Tucson and San Xavier must have a thirst for our blood ... these Tucson people write for the papers and tell their own story. The Apaches have no one to tell their story...

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's supposed to be a plash-palatka (raincoat-tent) but holy poo poo is it poorly modeled. Also the textures are missing Guards badges. I think instead of bothering with any research they gave regular infantry PTRDs and called it a day.

So it's just poorly modelled? Oh, god, I'm so diappointed. The Coh2 campaign is an abomination, but when you're in game and killing Nazis, these guys were pretty badass. There goes next year's Halloween costume I guess.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Well the Mexican-American war did produce one of the best flag used by the US so there is that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LingcodKilla posted:

What the gently caress.

Maybe it was a brokeback mountain thing but with some really macabre cowboys.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Was in reference to plains warfare. Not like the Natives were any better with torture and disfigurement totally a thing to do with captives.

Humans suck.

White Americans adopted the custom of scalping in the 17th century and vigorously maintained the tradition into the late 19th. California was still paying bounties for indian scalps in the 1860s. Corn wasn't the only things whites adopted from the Indians.

edit: Here's a quote from Historian James Rawls taken from the PBS American Experience Gold Rush Documentary:

James Rawls posted:

In the early days of the Gold Rush, from the very beginning, frustrated Anglo American miners banded together to form groups of essentially vigilante or volunteer militia groups. They were ad hoc organizations, and their stated objective was to exterminate the "red devils," to eliminate the obstacles that the native Californians had become in their minds. And their modus operandi was to attack native villages wherever they might find them in the vicinity of their mining activities, to eliminate their presence utterly, killing the men, the women, and the children. And this was considered to be a necessity.

The only way we will be able to mine in security, if all of these people are exterminated." And the language that they used at the time, "extermination," was precisely describing what they were attempting to do.

The Native Americans in California of course attempted to resist the onslaughts onto their villages. They would fight back with whatever weapons they had at hand. But they were vastly outgunned and vastly outnumbered, and were very infrequently able to mount an effective defense. Usually it was more a matter of fleeing, trying to get away. We have accounts of the white vigilantes or rangers simply firing into the creek or going into the woods and using hatchets or other weapons, guns, to kill those. We have many descriptions of those when they're attacking on a stream or a river, and the natives are being shot as they're floating down, trying to escape from this terrible onslaught.

But we should also remember that those bands of Indian hunters could receive local compensation for their actions. Many communities through Gold Rush California offered bounties for Indian heads, Indian scalps, or Indian ears. And so the Indian raiders could bring the evidence of their kill in, and receive direct local compensation. Furthermore, the state of California passed legislation authorizing more than a million dollars for the reimbursement of additional expenses that the Indian hunters may have incurred. And then that was passed on eventually to the federal Congress, where Congress passed legislation also authorizing additional federal funds for this purpose. So what we have here in California during the Gold Rush, quite clearly, was a case of genocide, mass murder that was legalized and publicly subsidized.

From the same documentary,

quote:

In the two decades after the discovery of gold, 120,000 Indians, four-fifths of California's Native population, would be wiped out -- most by starvation or disease, others at the murderous hands of whites.

Why was starvation one of the leading causes of death? Well when you're fleeing vicious killers it's hard to feed yourself, which in turns leaves you more vulnerable to disease.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 29, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The Lakota were absolutely, enthusiastically 100% into taking war captives and exchanging them for goods (horses, guns, food). It was way better to get some wealth, honor, and respect than to kill some white dude.

European settlers and the US government had a somewhat different approach.

Edit

Squalid posted:

Why was starvation one of the leading causes of death? Well when you're fleeing vicious killers it's hard to feed yourself, which in turns leaves you more vulnerable to disease.

And not to belabor the point, but competition for and intentional over-harvesting of critical food supplies (like bison) by European settlers was a huge factor in the decline and increasing desperation of Native populations.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 29, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Phobophilia posted:

Holy poo poo they directed cannon fire on a church.

They really hated Papists.

See also the San Patricios- Irish-American deserters who joined the Mexican army during the war.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I was looking at some old material from my grade 3 Canadian History curriculum and noticed it said that white settlers overhunted buffalo because they "didn't understand how important it was to the First Nations' way of life". Looking back, it seems pretty hosed up to teach a bunch of 8-year-olds about the history of Native American peoples without explaining, in an age-appropriate way, that much of their decline was due to genocide.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chamale posted:

I was looking at some old material from my grade 3 Canadian History curriculum and noticed it said that white settlers overhunted buffalo because they "didn't understand how important it was to the First Nations' way of life". Looking back, it seems pretty hosed up to teach a bunch of 8-year-olds about the history of Native American peoples without explaining, in an age-appropriate way, that much of their decline was due to genocide.
we were taught it was a two-sided war lol, but :spain:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

we were taught it was a two-sided war lol, but :spain:

If you're talking about Cortes then kinda. Anything after that, though, :lol:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yesterday i encountered a colonel named Hans Gaudenz von Wolkenstein

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
hahaha holy poo poo.

I'm digging some old Danish village names at the moment.

Turns out we have 5 villages named Lem (literally: "penis") :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
are these people aware their names are bonkers

do you think dodo von innhausen und zu knyphausen just one morning woke up all "wait a minute..."

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

are these people aware their names are bonkers

do you think dodo von innhausen und zu knyphausen just one morning woke up all "wait a minute..."

i doubt it, when they can barely count to potato

though i just made some knödels and i have to agree with the tardkaiser on that point

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What, if anything, did tardkaiser have to say about knödels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

i doubt it, when they can barely count to potato

though i just made some knödels and i have to agree with the tardkaiser on that point
wow, such hapsburg
very genetics

you know, the great thing about mercenaries is you can usually be assured of their competence. dodo was apparently very good for the swedes during lützen

• Locked thread