Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hakkesshu posted:

You could just post the trailer which is hosed up enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCxCZNkQ9E

Fantastic Planet is one of the most persistently horrifying films I've ever seen. I was unlucky enough to catch it on TV when I was like 10 and I had nightmares about that opening scene with the mother and her baby for years afterwards.

What the poo poo, Terry Gilliam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

What the hell are these from?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Something about the way 1st World War battlefields healed over just looks wrong to me.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nature is just taking its lumps in stride.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Something about the way 1st World War battlefields healed over just looks wrong to me.

The grass is always greener where 100k kids bled to death frightened and in pain! They should seriously consider this in California to help fight the brown lawns.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What the hell are these from?

Tried looking them up and I just get some zombie/horror themed tumblrs and pinterests that reposted them. No clue. :shrug:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hakkesshu posted:

You could just post the trailer which is hosed up enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCxCZNkQ9E

Fantastic Planet is one of the most persistently horrifying films I've ever seen. I was unlucky enough to catch it on TV when I was like 10 and I had nightmares about that opening scene with the mother and her baby for years afterwards.

One of these days I really need to get around to watching this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Lmao Fantastic Planet looks dumb as hell

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I will watch just for the scene where the cave people strap big headed bitey things to their chests and battle

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The battle of Verdun. I listen to a podcast called Hardcore History. They just recently did a six part series on WWI and in one of the episodes the host talked extensively on that battle and the unique horrors of it. It's episode four of the Blueprint for Armageddon series. Listening to the personal accounts and descriptions was horrifying. Makes those pictures all the more eerie.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Similar but the Choeng Ek Killing Fields memorial outside Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I went there in 2001 and there were still teeth, bone fragments and clothing scraps on the ground next to the burial pits.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

But parrots don't have metal spikes coming out of their faces, starfish embedded in their skulls, triceratops horns, or beards either. This man is working from misleading data.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BrigadierSensible posted:

But parrots don't have metal spikes coming out of their faces, starfish embedded in their skulls, triceratops horns, or beards either. This man is working from misleading data.

Yeah, but maybe parrots want all those things. They just have very limited tool use and no means of paying artists.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It's actually loving amazing you troglodyte.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

What the poo poo, Terry Gilliam?

Almost everything Terry Gilliam does is traumatising. I remember watching Tideland with my brothers and sister for a 'fun night' at the cinema and I never looked away in horror so much.

Beautifully shot though, really amazing poo poo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dear Prudence posted:

The battle of Verdun. I listen to a podcast called Hardcore History. They just recently did a six part series on WWI and in one of the episodes the host talked extensively on that battle and the unique horrors of it. It's episode four of the Blueprint for Armageddon series. Listening to the personal accounts and descriptions was horrifying. Makes those pictures all the more eerie.

Dan Carlin is awesome, and the Blueprint for Armageddon series was great. The bit on the mud of Passchendaele was what got me most. The idea that a guy would get irretrievably stuck in the muck while you marched out to the line, and then to come back days later and find him sunk up to his neck and begging passers-by to shoot him.

Ugh.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Dan Carlin is awesome, and the Blueprint for Armageddon series was great. The bit on the mud of Passchendaele was what got me most. The idea that a guy would get irretrievably stuck in the muck while you marched out to the line, and then to come back days later and find him sunk up to his neck and begging passers-by to shoot him.

Ugh.

Yeah, that section killed me. He does good.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Ugh.

Oh yeah that was remarkably horrible. But the part that got me was when he was talking about the wells in Verdun (I think it was Verdun) and they would send the mustard gas and people would scramble to find their gas masks and were trapped in the wells and couldn't get out of them. ANd all the time the gas is just slowly creeping closer to them, this visible wall of gas inching closer and closer.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Probably investing in a hedge fund.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Voodoo Economics

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NLJP posted:

Almost everything Terry Gilliam does is traumatising. I remember watching Tideland with my brothers and sister for a 'fun night' at the cinema and I never looked away in horror so much.

Beautifully shot though, really amazing poo poo.

What was it exactly about Tidelands that made you think " family film"?

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

WOAH!!!! :aaa: I would never feel the itch on my back if I could grow such nails, I would forever feel the pleasure of scraping my back without purchasing artificial hand to do it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shayu posted:

WOAH!!!! :aaa: I would never feel the itch on my back if I could grow such nails, I would forever feel the pleasure of scraping my back without purchasing artificial hand to do it.

Sadly, you would be completely unable to post about it. Too high a price to pay, IMO. :justpost:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

What was it exactly about Tidelands that made you think " family film"?

Dude, we were all in our early twenties. But yes, maybe we didn't really think things through before we bought the tickets :)

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
On the plus side, you can use the words "silly kisser" to make your siblings shudder involuntarily.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dear Prudence posted:

Oh yeah that was remarkably horrible. But the part that got me was when he was talking about the wells in Verdun (I think it was Verdun) and they would send the mustard gas and people would scramble to find their gas masks and were trapped in the wells and couldn't get out of them. ANd all the time the gas is just slowly creeping closer to them, this visible wall of gas inching closer and closer.

Wilfred Owen's poem is probably the most evocative description of a gas attack I've ever read, and definitely fits the theme of this thread.

Wildred Owen posted:

Dulce et Decorum Est

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime...
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Skippy McPants has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Nov 28, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/AsFkN3Q.gifv

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

I smell a new expansion for Surgeon Simulator!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fascinating.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Somfin posted:

Fascinating.

This, unironically. Medicine has come so far, it's mindblowing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How do they even come up with that kind of surgery in the first place?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Free Market Mambo posted:

On the plus side, you can use the words "silly kisser" to make your siblings shudder involuntarily.

Yeah, that movie was a mindfuck and a half - I got stoned and watched with a couple friends, we made it about 30 or so minutes in and had to shut it off. Talk about killing a buzz in a hurry.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Internet Kraken posted:

How do they even come up with that kind of surgery in the first place?

Testicular cancer I imagine. They put in silicon falsies, they don't just lop the whole sack off.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

13Pandora13 posted:

Testicular cancer I imagine. They put in silicon falsies, they don't just lop the whole sack off.
That's way more involved than an orchidectomy.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and guess you didn't watch the whole thing.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

"My balls are filled with death! Time to lop 'em off and install a vagina!!" :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
How would you even keep something like that clean?

Like a regular vagina is self cleaning and discharges and all that gross stuff.

That tube would resemble the inside of that public fleshlight at burning man after a while.

Sticking a bottle brush in your fauxgina every couple days doesn't sound fun!