Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

I seem to have blown through my goals accidentally. House prices in my area are up with the current growth, just a bit more than I thought would happen when I bought last year. My net worth target increase for this year was a $20k increase but it has gone up $7k from income and $35k from the increase in value of my house.

My second goal was to have $40k extra invested and with the house price increase that goal has been passed at $43k. I'm making the stretch goal $40k invested in non-house assets.

Due to events outside of my control a slip happened on my property. I've got a small insurance payout to go towards it. I need to build a retaining wall so some of the costs will set me back but it will add value to my property. I don't have any choice which is frustrating but it's not a major set back. By the end of the year I will have blown through the stretch goal but invested in my house.

Non-house investments will need to wait until next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Had to brag somewhere:

February: Paid off the remainder of my car loan.
Today: Paid off my first med school loan while still in residency. :toot:

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

1-401k contributions are automated, so this is on track.

2-ditto for 457

3-This may change so that we contribute for my wife last year, then later on do the contribution this year. See below for how things change...

4-Got a CFP that actually understood the situation and is willing to help with the wording to the IRS and doing the old 8606 forms. The other issue is that we friggin destroyed out budget due to helping out family during their time of need. That slowed down the IRA stuff, and I'm picking up extra shifts to make up for it. The thing is, extra call is like a feast-or-famine situation and I was usually more comfortable on the famine side, so to speak. The extra bucks means that I'm possibly going to be a little burnt out midway through the year but we can actually increase our goals beyond what we had expected!

5-529 is on autopilot, steady as she goes. Planning on pregnancy by mid-year. So scary, so exciting!

6-Done! independent 20 year term life with an amount that lets her take care of everything. (Note to self: sleep with one eye open.) :ninja:

7-Keeping the bulk of this extra mortgage payment in a cash account until I'm sure no other family drama comes up this year. Plus we may refinance and if it's reasonable I may use some of that for closing costs. Again, thanks to extra call the total amount is leaning towards being bigger than we had initially hoped.

8-Yeah, this is not feasible. I'd rather not go through the mental gymnastics of min/maxing the tax refund with all of the other stuff going on. It looked great in January, but then February Family Fuckup month happened :cry:

So, the great news is that the retirement accounts are fully funded, so those goals are met! That's 1,2,3.

For #4 the old 8606 forms are sent to the irs. We just have to foot the tax bill, and we already have that set aside.

#5 is a bit E/N, there was a miscarriage, so no change necessary for now.

#6 and #7 remain unchanged.

Ironically, #8 may happen anyway if there are no major changes for the rest of the year.

This year has included some major personal milestones and heartaches, but the financial ship is sailing steady thanks in part to bfc.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
So sorry to hear that, bb. Condolences on your loss. And well-earned congratulations on your first three goals.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Financial Goals:

-Max my Roth IRA
-Get my investment accounts up to 50k (at 38k right now)
-Pay down 25% of my student loans
-Start saving towards my wedding
-Use YNAB and get to step 4
-Get emergency fund up to 10k

1. Roth IRA will be maxed in December with my last 458.33 contribution. I added enough money last week so that my January contributions will start funding my 2016 Roth IRA.

2. I'm at a little bit over 50k now. I am on pace for 100k much faster than I would have anticipated a year ago in just my retirement accounts. Goal #3 being completed is really helping me out.

3. I actually paid off my student loans this year but I can't take credit for it since it came from an inheritance.

4. I am still saving $500 a month towards the wedding for next August and my fiance's parents are paying for most of it.

5. This is probably not happening this year. I am not living paycheck to paycheck by any means but my budget is much looser and kept mentally than I'd like it to be.

6. Was completed awhile ago

Still working on my non-financial goals but overall 5 out of 6 is pretty good I'd say.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Moneyball posted:

Update time with some good news about the car loan.

1. Maxed my 2014 IRA, won't contribute to my 2015 until my tax return next year. I have been working some overtime and a hours at the other jobs, so I've brought in some extra money, however....
2. I found out the balance on the loan as of may, and holy poo poo I am/was getting screwed. I can't remember the dollar figure of the original loan, I'd have to go look it up, but after several months of payments, it went from something under $12,000, to still over $11,000. I've basically been leasing it. I dropped $3,500.00 into it last month, bringing it down to somewhere around $7,000. This is my #1 priority now. I hope to have it paid off by the end of the year.
3. Paying just the interest on my student loans before it capitalizes so I can get the tax deduction and concentrate on the car loan.
4. Job has actually been less secure as of late. Might need to update my resume.
5. As Mr. Money Mustache would say, this is unacceptable until I deal with my DEBT EMERGENCY. Once I get rid of the car loan and my 6.8% student loans, I'll try this one again.
6. Opened up the HSA- only contributed $120 to it so far. My company contributes $500 a year so that's a plus.

All in all, from the beginning of the year I've gone from about a -$29,000.00 net worth to -$19,000.00 , grossing basically $35,000k. I'd call that progress.

As the third quarter comes to a close, my situation is embarrassing, as I have essentially made no progress with my net worth from my original post at the beginning of the year. Still hovering in the high 20s. I've found new and creative ways to cost myself and waste more money.

1. 2014 IRA maxed, not contributing for 2015.
2. Traded my old car, currently have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra. $14,250 @ 7.29%. This is my priority.
3. Still paying minimum. $27,000 to go.
4. Planning to stay for one more year, get my CPA, and bolt next September.
5. Nope
6. Contributed about $1,500 to my HSA so far. Will max this out for 2015.

I went from 29,000 in the red to 19,000, and back to 29,000. I think I'm done loving around, though. I hope to have that car paid off by the spring. After that, my student loans are next.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

2015 Goals: (In order of priority, highest to lowest)

#1 - Under no circumstances have children or buy a house.
#2 - Pay down $45,000 of principal on my wife's student loans. Stretch Goal: Pay off the remaining $14K too, and be debt-free!
#3 - Grow side-business income by 33% ($91K revenue). Stretch Goal: Grow side-business income by 75% ($121K revenue).
#4 - Do one stress-reduction activity every month (massage, art therapy, whatever). This might not seem like a financial goal, but I stressed myself out in 2014 to the point of medical intervention and was unable to run my side-biz for five months. It's better for my careers if I stay sane.
#5 - Keep or lose my day job as best fits the monetary goals above.

End of 3Q2015 Update

#1 - Still good.
#2 - STRETCH GOAL COMPLETE. Thanks to this month's progress on goal #3, the entire student loan will be gone when the royalty check for September comes in. This was my biggest financial goal for pretty much the decade, so BAM, HOORAY.
#3 - Rough waters are definitely rough, and I still don't think I'm going to hit the $91K revenue. I'm at $77K revenue now, but Amazon has seriously hosed everything up. However, I just turned a $16,000 month in book sales. When the royalties turn over in November, the last of my wife's student loans are done.
#4 - On pace. I got a massage in September and tried to get more sleep.
#5 - Job applications are flying again and I'm in talks with recruiters. Time to leave this job.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Moneyball posted:

As the third quarter comes to a close, my situation is embarrassing, as I have essentially made no progress with my net worth from my original post at the beginning of the year. Still hovering in the high 20s. I've found new and creative ways to cost myself and waste more money.

Why do you think this is? Have you considered starting a thread to ask for help/accountability?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Moneyball is just starting to fix up debts, and interest paid is an issue.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256838&pagenumber=290&perpage=40#post450778822

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

Why do you think this is? Have you considered starting a thread to ask for help/accountability?

No, it's not so much my habits on a daily basis, other than spending a little too much on prepared food vs groceries. I don't have any (other) costly habits like smoking or $5/day on coffee. It's big things.

I actually do pretty well in saving and repaying debt, but I'm dealing with issues from 2014.
I overpaid and then subsequently dumped a lot into the car I bought last year. I took a loss to switch to the car I have now, and overall sunk a lot of money. I'm stress-free about my car situation now, though, because I don't worry about anything breaking and I'm not trying to chase anyone down to pay for repairs (long story). I've closed the book on it now.

I also took on more student loans but won't be returning to that school (though I'll transfer those credits elsewhere)

Combined with my first real vacation since.. well, ever, I'm right back where I started in January.

Despite that, I can see the next several months being similar to how I started the year. Chipping away pretty rapidly at my loans. I won't be taking on any new debt, other than CPA exam-related prep costs, and my expenses are real low. I don't spend too much, so it leaves a lot leftover.

Barring any catastrophe, I should be able to pay off the car in six months, using my tax return, then start working on my student loans. I should see real progress with my net worth.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 30, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Awesome. Sounds like a great plan.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

My goals really took a turn the last couple weeks for next year. I hope to have some time to revisit them in a few weeks but generally here they are:

1) Get divorced (lovely goal right there...)
2) In divorce make sure we both come out of it financially sound (should be doable but we need to sit down and work at untangling our finances)
3) Do not sell the house until spring 2016 (this will help out the ex a tremendous amount)
4) Get a roommate to help defer costs (plenty of house for this person)
5) Pay off my student loan (I had been concentrating on the wife's up until now)
6) Pay off my car (stretch goal)

Not what I would have wrote at all about a month ago...oh well.

1) Done
2) Good enough, so Done
3) Not a problem
4) On the second roommate this year so going well, should be here until June next year
5) I put mine on the back burner and am concentrating on what I agreed to pay on the ex's. My goal will be to have it all paid off by the end of next year.
6) Not going to happen as I am concentrating on #5 (it is a 1.9% loan so not too worried about it)

Q4 goal:
Spend under $4000/month, $1000/month extra on the student loans, $1000/month to savings. At year end look at my accounts and decide what to do with cash on hand

Girlfriends can get kind of expensive sometimes...

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Goals in progress:

Continue paying an extra $100/mo on my car loan, at least until I move. Replaced with:
July: $325 on car loan. August - September: $300/mo. October: $400. November & December: $550. This would bring my average back up to $400/mo for the year. :) (Min. payment is $299.)
Progress: $325 paid in July, August, and September. $425 for October. Better than the goal so far!

Get my $6k of student loans forgiven.
Progress: After 6 months of back and forth, this is DONE! Happy dance. No student loan debt. :)

Have a positive net worth for each month in 2015.
Progress: Negatory for September. Paid my October 1st tuition, which is more than I make in a month. But I paid in cash so yay!

No credit card debt!
Progress: So far, so good.

Take on no student loans!
Progress: Done! Paid my October tuition in cash. Saving up for April tuition now. :)

Completed Goals:

Save up enough to cover moving costs (I have $1k so far) without dipping into the e-fund.
Save up enough for a couch and bed frame, as I don't want to take mine.

[/quote]

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

Blue Scream posted:

2014 was a mixed bag. In January I got my emergency fund built to 5 months' worth of expenses, was giving monthly to charity and contributing to my Roth...then this summer I spent twice the money I usually spend while I was relying on half the income (dumb E/N stuff). It put me way behind in my plans.

So this year, I plan to be much more mindful. Goals for 2015:

1. Save up $3K to cover my rear end this summer in case I don't get enough work: already over halfway there and hopefully I will get some $$$ this Christmas that will give me an additional boost.

2. After that's done, lay aside $300/month (10% of paycheck) towards eventual car replacement. (If I get enough work this summer, then the $3K will go to this cause instead of rear end-covering.)

3. Get back into contributing to my Roth. My 401(a) is awesome (great matching), so this isn't as top a priority for me compared to the more immediate goals, but I want to get back into the habit. If I can sock at least $1000 into it this year I'll call it a start.

4. Figure out what to do with the retirement account from my previous job, since I can't roll it over into my current one.

5. Keep better track of my spending, because how much do I REALLY spend on groceries every month? :iiam:

-edit: Oh God, I forgot I'm going up for review and promotion for the first time in three years, so here's hoping for my continued employment and a 5% pay increase :ohdear:

1. Saved up the $3K and made it through summer without a hitch.

2. Didn't get as much summer work, though, so I wasn't able to save additionally from May-September. Socking away $650/month for the car now. Here's hoping my current one hangs in for 1-2 more years.

3. Contributed $1,100 to my Roth when the market crashed a few weeks ago, because thrift shopping is awesome, and am contributing $100/month from here on. Small change but I guess it helps.

4. After talking to a Fidelity rep, decided to leave this account where it is for now.

5. I've been slacking off on this one, but I've finally made a budget on Mint.com and will hopefully be able to track all my expenses much better with that.

Looks like I'm gonna get that promotion :toot:

Additional news

This wasn't one of my original goals, but after some uncertainty at work I decided to assess my monthly expenses more honestly (I was under-estimating before) and save up for six months' minimum for my emergency fund. I took everything that was left over after I made it through summer and put it in a separate online savings account. I had about $7,400 in there before, and now my goal is $10,500. I'm almost there :woop:

Also putting aside a little bit every month for Dragon Con next year, because I always spend more than I think I will, so I might as well budget for it. Who needs Christmas?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I was looking over my YNAB reports, and while it isn't pretty, in some ways it's encouraging.

Since I started tracking everything in April, I am actually in the red by $443, though the next paycheck should fix that.

So 102% of my income has gone right back out.

However, the breakdown is:
Expenses/Spending: 34.3%
Debt repayment: 65.7%

I consider debt repayment a form of savings (is that wrong?) so that's a 65% savings rate. Once I finally have my loans paid off, I should be able to really put some money away. I'll likely have an even better job at that point, so things look pretty bright in the next couple years.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I've considered (principal) debt repayment as counting toward my savings, as it's increasing my net worth. I counted the interest portion of my payments as an expense, though.

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Reduce dining out spending to $150 every paycheck (two weeks).

I'm still doing well – my year-to-date average is $126 per paycheck.

Finish paying off my student loan by the end of June.

Completed.

Save up enough for an overseas vacation by the end of the year. My sister just moved to Germany last month, and I'd like to take her up on her invitation to come stay with her for a couple weeks. Given the schedule of the project I'm on at work, I probably won't be able to actually take two weeks off until early 2016, but I'd like to have the money saved up by the end of this year. Back of the envelope calculations tell me I'll need to save about $3250 (no lodging expense, but a lot of margin for error built in for the other expenses). Hopefully I'll be able to cut that down by cashing in some frequent flier miles, but I'd rather save too much and be pleasantly surprised, so $3250 seems a reasonable goal. If I can get the student loan paid off by June, I figure I can immediately start throwing the amount I was putting toward it into a savings account; anything left over will likely go to extra payments on the car.

Progressing well; I'm now at $2194 saved, and I've used some of that to buy the transatlantic flights.

The vacation plans have changed a bit - my girlfriend will be coming along, and we'll be going to more than just Germany, so I'll have some hotel expenses and twice the expense on flights. However, we're also pushing the vacation to the end of March to give us time to save, and I was able to get two of our four transatlantic flights on miles. Right now, it looks like I'll need to save about $6000 by the end of March (depending on exchange rates), but the needed savings rate doesn't change, so I'll keep my end of 2015 goal the same.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Debt payments are not savings. You are paying for something that you didn't have the money for at the time. It is ridiculous to think of it as savings, come on.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

July 2015 update:

-Max out both Roth IRAs and my 457(b)
Status: On pace. It was inaccurate to call this done in my last update; the Roth IRAs are maxed but the 457(b) is only on pace to be maxed. I'm at $12,000 for the year and should hit $18,000 on the 24th pay period of 26 in total.

-Have wife begin contributions to 403(b) at new postdoc in the fall
Status: This goal is alive again due to a change my wife's post-graduation plan. Instead of a postdoc, she's going to take a job with the USGS. This will start as a part-time job and transition to full-time some time in early 2016. So she'll have access to the TSP (jealous...) and the matching that entails. The job starts in late August, so maybe I'll have a hard number for her contributions by next update.

-Increase frequency of grocery shopping trips made by bicycle instead of car, especially between April and October
Status: Still doing OK with this, not great. Having the CSA every week definitely helps though.

-Keep home alcohol purchases below $50/month
January total $17.99
February total $43.47
March total: $46.28
April total: $35.50
May total: $42.66
June total: $45.79
July total: $73.45
Monthly average: $43.59

First month we've gone over this year :( July is hot! Running average is still under $50/month though. And most importantly we haven't bought a bottle of liquor for the house all year. No $20 whiskey, no $60 scotch, no nothing. So I'm proud of us for putting that expensive hobby to bed.

-Designate a purpose for the few thousand we should be getting back in our federal tax refund. Leading contenders here are starting a 529 or holding the money in savings for a lump sum boost for the 2016 IRA cycle.
I will be starting the 529 sometime this month (hopefully), since removing that $2,000 from our reserves has not been an issue at all. As for the 2016 IRA lump sum boost, I have a couple taxable funds totaling roughly $2,000 I want to use for the purpose. These are the last remnants of my college/grad school fund (graduated in 2013) so all I need to do is get my dad to sell them. He's still the designated custodian so I can't do anything with them on my own.

-Devise a plan for earning enough points/miles for free international business class airfare and at least 4 free hotel nights for a 2016 international vacation.
This is going swell. We don't have firm plans yet, but mileage accrual continues apace. I'm gunning for enough Alaska Airlines miles to book first class on the Emirates A380 so I can shower in the sky :homebrew: I need to set up my wife's next round of credit card applications in a couple weeks.

Still feeling very positive. Great to see how others are succeeding as well.

September 2015 update:

-Max out both Roth IRAs and my 457(b)
Status: On pace. Roth IRAs are maxed. My 457(b) is at $15,000 in contributions for the year and should hit $18,000 at the end of November.

-Have wife begin contributions to TSP at new part time job
Status: 98% sure she is contributing enough to get the full TSP match. It's not a huge amount of money since she's still working part time, but once she graduates in May she'll go full time. I'm sure one of the 2016 goals will be to try and get her as close as possible to maxing her contributions during the last 7 months of 2016.

-Increase frequency of grocery shopping trips made by bicycle instead of car, especially between April and October
Status: Our CSA ended early and we got a refund check of $50. Will probably bike to the farmers' market a couple more times to buy from other farmers, although the season is rapidly drawing to a close. Now is the time of year when biking to the grocery store gets tougher, so I'm going to try to bike to the grocery store at least twice in October.

-Keep home alcohol purchases below $50/month
January total $17.99
February total $43.47
March total: $46.28
April total: $35.50
May total: $42.66
June total: $45.79
July total: $73.45
August total: $45.00ish
September total: $45.00ish
Monthly average: $43.90

I'm quite confident we stayed under $50 each month, but I did a bad job tracking precisely

-Designate a purpose for the few thousand we should be getting back in our federal tax refund. Leading contenders here are starting a 529 or holding the money in savings for a lump sum boost for the 2016 IRA cycle.
Started a 529 in August when the market dropped, initial contribution of $2,000. Not even gonna check it til maybe next fall if we have more money to chuck at it.

-Devise a plan for earning enough points/miles for free international business class airfare and at least 4 free hotel nights for a 2016 international vacation.
This is going great. Still no plans made but I have approximately 95K Chase UR points, 100K Amex MR points, 165K AAdvantage miles, 58K Alaska Miles, 55K BA Avios, and decent balances with IHG and Hilton. My wife also has a decent balance in several programs, including 75K Amex MR points, 200K AAdvantage miles, and 50K Alaska miles.

I'll probably one more update before the end of year check in. I'm very pleased with everything so far this year. Next year's goalsetting will be more of a challenge since we'll be getting a big income bump partway through the year and my tax situation remains screwy so who knows what my refund will be.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Totally TWISTED posted:

Joint/Married household

Student Loan Debt = $21,350 $18889
Emergency Fund = $1500 $6300
Family Loan Debt = $4000
Car Loan = $18500 $15000

GOALS

- TRACK MY drat BUDGET. I am on and off on this one over the past 5 years, this year I'll have 12 solid months tracked damnit!
- Put $740/month towards student and car loan payments (this will actually pay above the minimums).
- Use bonuses/gift money to pay off the highest remaining interest student loan in full ~$1800.
- Bolster Emergency Fund to $6000.
- Pay half of family loan debt.
- Help my wife expand her fledgling photography business, 400% gross profit increase from last year (Q4 2014 was 95% of the business).
- Sell second house (that I am currently renting at break-even).*

*If this goes really well my goals will get crushed by the summer from the profit of selling the house...we shall see.
- Missed 3 months here, but better than the previous year.
- This has not been tracked well, my wife had an additional student loan come into play. We have been paying the full payments and on the next point...
- Did this!
- Emergency fund exists as a result of selling the house we were living in, buying a larger house/land in anticipation of having kids soon combined with the high local real estate prices where we were living. Put 20% down on the new place (from 0% down at the house we sold), spent a chunk on moving + some new furniture/etc, have money in savings, our mortgage payment is only $200 more a month.
- After discussing with my parents this was put on hold and I now have a Roth IRA with $2500 in it (both myself and my wife are woefully behind any retirement savings - at least she has a 401K).
- Business is on track, need to work more on marketing/sales push to get growth to the level of being it's own business so she can stay at home/quit the day job.
- As a result of buying our new place and selling the place we were living in, this has been put on the back burner till the spring. At least the rental payments are mostly on time.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

District Selectman posted:

Well I lost money this month. $173k to $164! Thanks China! The crazy thing is I "saved" $10k in cash this month, but I lost $19 in investments. Deep down I know this is cool and good but it's making my posts ITT less cool and good.

Back up to $178k. God drat it I will make it to $200k this year !!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Same as my previous update, more or less

2015 Financial Goals Update
  • Continue contributing to retirement accounts and kids 529 plans - Still going well. Hopefully considering upping our contributions next year.
  • Pay off our car ($9500 owed) - Paid off in December '14
  • Start using YNAB to effectively plan/budget our money - Over the summer there was some off-the-wagon behavoir, but we've since turned the corner and have been doing really well planning. We still go over on food budgets now and then, but everywhere else we've been doing great. It's pretty rad, we have a 3 pay period month and we don't really have anything we want to buy with that money, so that extra ~$3500 is pretty much all going to short and long term saving categories :toot:
  • Not much of a goal, but we met with a lawyer to draw up wills / trust in case both of us die. Feels good to get that handled.

Non-financial goal(s) Update
  • I'm hoping to work less in 2015 - Going good. An infinite amount of less stress than last year at this time.
  • Lose some weight and keep it off - I suck. I gained back pretty much all of what I lost earlier in the year. I'm not like obese, but I am overweight.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Popping in to brag that what I thought was going to be a 2016 goal is now done. All student loans have been officially paid off as of two weeks ago. The last closed account letter will go with the rest of them in my mementos box.

In shittier news, my new goal is to replenish the emergency fund after spending it all unsuccessfully trying to save my cat last week. We all thought it was complications due to his heart disease and maybe something he ate, but no, it was just super aggressive cancer. Had to put him down as there was no way to comfortably help him...doing my best to not stress-spend too :smith:

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

District Selectman posted:

Back up to $178k. God drat it I will make it to $200k this year !!

You should be glad when stocks go down:

Warren Buffet:

"But now for the final exam: If you expect to be a net saver during the next five years, should you hope for a higher or lower stock market during that period? Many investors get this one wrong. Even though they are going to be net buyers of stocks for many years to come, they are elated when stock prices rise and depressed when they fall. In effect, they rejoice because prices have risen for the "hamburgers" they will soon be buying. This reaction makes no sense. Only those who will be sellers of equities in the near future should be happy at seeing stocks rise. Prospective purchasers should much prefer sinking prices."

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Reduce dining out spending to $150 every paycheck (two weeks).

Earlier in the month, a pipe in the apartment above mine burst, soaking my carpet and forcing me to spend a few days in a hotel while my landlord fixed it. Supposedly, the check's in the mail for reimbursement for the hotel. Regardless, a couple nights extra of eating out put me a little above where I ought to have been one pay period. I made up for it the following pay period and my average is still good for the year.

Finish paying off my student loan by the end of June.

Done.

Save up enough for an overseas vacation by the end of the year.

My savings rate went down a little because of having to float the hotel bill during the above carpet flooding, but I'm still doing pretty good against the vacation goal.

I also went ahead and prepaid most of my hotel rooms out of the vacation savings I've saved already – I'd rather lock in the exchange rate now rather than trying to budget around a changing exchange rate for the largest expenses on my trip.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Original post | February Update | April Update | July Update | September Update

3) Drop monthly food spending from $430 to $380 -- September and October were awesome, wherein I spent about $222 and $240 respectively. Used a lot more home cooking. My average is now down to about $330 on the year.
5) Update resume by April, shop myself around if I don't get an April raise -- Well things got a little worse. I got passed up for a raise this year, so I'm a little disappointed in my own performance. And I still haven't even glanced at the PMP cert courses. I am even more of a failure here than in September's update.
6) ESPP: Use 1 & 2 to cover Roth IRA and ESPP tax burden, use 3 & 4 to put in extra mortgage payments/increase charitable giving/etc. -- I finally started my investment in LC using their automatic investment functions. Haven't made any more extra mortgage principal payments since once in June. I was hoping for a modest raise in October to allow me to put a little more toward charity and taxable investments this year, but since I didn't get one (see #5), I haven't formulated exactly how much I'll be giving during our big fall giving campaign this month to various charities, including the non-profit I helped found. I'll probably give more to my own 501c3 just for the hell of it regardless, because the latest peak into my accounts shows I have a little more cash on hand than expected, even before my last ESPP purchase and sale which will happen over the next week or so.
7) Stretch goal: Establish side business for martial arts consulting -- Still haven't pursued this any further since May
8) Buy new computer parts for a full rebuild ($800-1300) -- spent net $600 now that I sold that last remaining $100 worth of old parts to a coworkers. As I said before, it's not as powerful or feature-rich as I had been planning to get, but the price was right. If and when I eventually get into newer games again, I can look at upgrading video card then. But it may not even happen for a few years, who knows.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

November update!

2015 Goals:

Increase my gross income to $75k.
Blew this one away with a surprise promotion late this year. Should be sitting pretty in the mid 80s once my tuition is reimbursed.

Add at least $15k to my 401k and max my Roth IRA.
Both will be maxed out this year!

Somehow decrease my housing expenses, either by moving or otherwise compensating my current landlord in some way.
I moved, and am saving about $100/mo on rent. However... my expenses actually went up, thanks to a longer commute and the fact that my landlord misled me about utility costs. Looking at $20-40/mo in increased expenses. Oh well, at least I have a private bathroom and room for a desk now.

Maintain a girlfriend without driving her nuts with frugality.
Success! We're both on board the savings train, and she's actually probably even more conservative with spending than I am.

Maintain good grades in school; B or higher gets me back 100% of tuition costs!
Successful so far, but one class is very poorly run with exactly zero feedback in 2.5 months, so we'll have to see.

edit: This is a stretch goal, but add $10k or more to savings. I'll be mentally and financially ready for a house purchase by 2017, I think.
Currently sitting at $9,900 contributed, with 2 months left in the year. Yeah, this'll work out. :c00l:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Not a Children posted:

November update!

2015 Goals:

Increase my gross income to $75k.
Blew this one away with a surprise promotion late this year. Should be sitting pretty in the mid 80s once my tuition is reimbursed.

Add at least $15k to my 401k and max my Roth IRA.
Both will be maxed out this year!

Somehow decrease my housing expenses, either by moving or otherwise compensating my current landlord in some way.
I moved, and am saving about $100/mo on rent. However... my expenses actually went up, thanks to a longer commute and the fact that my landlord misled me about utility costs. Looking at $20-40/mo in increased expenses. Oh well, at least I have a private bathroom and room for a desk now.

Maintain a girlfriend without driving her nuts with frugality.
Success! We're both on board the savings train, and she's actually probably even more conservative with spending than I am.

Maintain good grades in school; B or higher gets me back 100% of tuition costs!
Successful so far, but one class is very poorly run with exactly zero feedback in 2.5 months, so we'll have to see.

edit: This is a stretch goal, but add $10k or more to savings. I'll be mentally and financially ready for a house purchase by 2017, I think.
Currently sitting at $9,900 contributed, with 2 months left in the year. Yeah, this'll work out. :c00l:

Sounds like you're doing really well! Can I ask what field I'm in that pays you $75K/year while you're in an academic program that it's paying for?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Thanks! I'm in electrical power engineering, working for a civil consulting firm of ~1000 people that has been doing very well over the past few years. I think I have a little extra leverage in that I'm one of just a handful of electrical engineers in a company of mostly civil/environmental engineers, but other than that I was just very lucky to end up with a company that treats its workers well and wants to invest in its staff.

My only qualifications are about 3.5 years work experience and my BS in EE, but I should see further bumps in pay after passing the FE, PE, and finishing the Masters' (assuming my program doesn't lose accreditation, which it just may if it has more classes of the quality I'm currently experiencing). After that, I assume my pay more or less plateaus unless/until I break into management.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

fuzzy_logic posted:

Goals for next year, by priority:

- stick to the new itemized budget. Shuffle money between categories as needed instead of pulling money out of savings.
- save up deposit for move
- collect old deposit from annoying roommates after move instead of avoiding the issue because they're too annoying, seriously it's a lot of money and I owe some of it to someone else
- pay off smallest loan
- double e-fund to 8k
- start some kind of retirement savings, either 401 or IRA, do some research self
- attack the highest interest loan and at least half it
- restock the etsy store and try to at least cover my hobby expenses there

Bring it year of the sheep! :homebrew:

oh and: don't start smoking again!

eta: just set all my loans to autopay every month and discovered that all but one of them gets a .25% interest reduction as a result. already making progress!

This'll wrap everything up but whatever the final numbers end up being. As I said I switched jobs to one where I make 4000 less a year gross, plus 7% being removed for a pension leaving me at around 10k less gross than I used to get. This has necessaitated changing my budget and I ran up my credit card a tad, but I'm feeling good about it. As for actual goals:

budget - set up a new one and am sticking to it - DONE
deposit - DONE
old deposit - NOT DONE, old roommates skipped town because they suck and I decided nto to both chasing them across state lines
smallest loan - DONE
e-fund - NOT DONE, got up to 5k and may get a little higher by the end of the year
retirement - DONE, out of my hands since I have a sick pension now
highest loan - NOT DONE, ended up significantly lower but not halved as I'd hoped for. My total student loans are going to drop below 50k this month which is VERY EXCITING
etsy stuff - NOT DONE

So on paper I didn't do so great but my goals kinda shifted significantly partway through the year. Once I pay my credit card down I'll shift back to getting tough on those loans and the e-fund.

Devious_05
Jul 3, 2007
Bit late to the party but

Non financial goal
- Get into graduate medical school (in Australia) - SUCCESS

Financial goal
- Save another 5k before the end of the year - TBD.

Next years goals will involve trying to minimize using my savings to live. Seeing the debts of some American medical students makes me glad I'll only have 60k debt at the end (20k from a grad diploma, 40k for med degree)

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Claverjoe posted:

Holy howling hell, 39k for post tax income? Impressive. *Edit* I thought that was per month. Oops.

my goals:
Pay for wedding ~5k (her parents insisted on paying a huge chunk of it)
Pay off credit cards: ~5.4k (should be a lot less after I get my move reimbursement)
save up for another car ~5k
Pay down student loans ~20k
start retirement account (grad school sucks for that, and I've only just got a good paying job)

Income:
3.9k per month
Expenses:
2k per month (rent, utilities, food, fiancee's utilities)

Hope to get some side cash from doing after hours work for a startup, fixing up the place for my landlord for rent considerations, plus possibly renting out my place during the Masters golf tournament.

So, overall, I did "ok," but definitely not anywhere near "good".

Still have 4k in credit card debt
Got a new car, but at least it isn't a deathtrap.
Student loans are ~16k now.
No retirement account (nooo!)

Living 1000 miles away from your spouse sucks, and flights are expensive. On the positive side, long term, she graduates with no med school debt (hooray MD/PhD.), and I'll be saving an extra $600 a month in travel related expenses come this time next fall when she moves to where I am to do interviews for residency and the occasional visiting rotation. Flights, dinners out when I see her, and buying groceries for a wife who works 14-18 hour days all add up to a hell of a lot. At least I have cash for an emergency and to cover our honeymoon expenses this December.

Oh well, it's all looking up in the long term, just gotta tread water and pay down credit car debt as I can. New goal is to start tossing in that $600 a month travel costs into savings when she moves here. Good god, living apart from your spouse is expensive. That's my lesson from this year.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Claverjoe posted:

Living 1000 miles away from your spouse sucks, and flights are expensive. On the positive side, long term, she graduates with no med school debt (hooray MD/PhD.), and I'll be saving an extra $600 a month in travel related expenses come this time next fall when she moves to where I am to do interviews for residency and the occasional visiting rotation. Flights, dinners out when I see her, and buying groceries for a wife who works 14-18 hour days all add up to a hell of a lot. At least I have cash for an emergency and to cover our honeymoon expenses this December.

Oh well, it's all looking up in the long term, just gotta tread water and pay down credit car debt as I can. New goal is to start tossing in that $600 a month travel costs into savings when she moves here. Good god, living apart from your spouse is expensive. That's my lesson from this year.

I hear you on this, and I haven't even had to live it. My wife is finishing up a PhD here in town and for awhile it was looking like she was going to do a two year postdoc elsewhere. I really like my job and the postdoc location was not going to be a long term settling spot for us, so we were preparing to do the long distance thing for awhile. No flights would have been involved (4 hour drive instead) but I was looking at the potential budget hit and not pleased with what I saw.

Fortunately she ended up getting a job with a federal agency locally, so she'll be starting that in May/June. We can both keep biking/busing to work and saving a ton.

Where are you going for your honeymoon?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

I seem to have blown through my goals accidentally. House prices in my area are up with the current growth, just a bit more than I thought would happen when I bought last year. My net worth target increase for this year was a $20k increase but it has gone up $7k from income and $35k from the increase in value of my house.

My second goal was to have $40k extra invested and with the house price increase that goal has been passed at $43k. I'm making the stretch goal $40k invested in non-house assets.

I noted earlier that a slip happened on my property which means I can't invest in non-house assets. I will be building a retaining wall costing over $60k which will exceed the above goal and it will only be partially levered with the revolving credit account on the house. It's not what I'd planned but it's essential work. It looks like next year will be the year to diversify into other financial instruments.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pig slut lisa posted:

I hear you on this, and I haven't even had to live it. My wife is finishing up a PhD here in town and for awhile it was looking like she was going to do a two year postdoc elsewhere. I really like my job and the postdoc location was not going to be a long term settling spot for us, so we were preparing to do the long distance thing for awhile. No flights would have been involved (4 hour drive instead) but I was looking at the potential budget hit and not pleased with what I saw.

Fortunately she ended up getting a job with a federal agency locally, so she'll be starting that in May/June. We can both keep biking/busing to work and saving a ton.

Where are you going for your honeymoon?

Maui, gonna hike that crater, spend some time in a cabin and go stargazing in a (hopefully) clear sky, then go be the stereotypical Hawaiian tourists and do beach-y stuff. Very excited, just got back getting some quality hiking boots. They are really nice and all, but $150 per pair ain't cheap. It is probably cheaper than the park rangers doing an extraction of a dumbass getting a rolled ankle, however.

Congrats on not doing long distance marriage. It's no fun when flirting consists of "Hey baby, do you have a weekend free next month, I can buy some plane tickets".

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 28, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Claverjoe posted:

Very excited, just got back getting some quality hiking boots. They are really nice and all, but $150 per pair ain't cheap. It is probably cheaper than the park rangers doing an extraction of a dumbass getting a rolled ankle, however.

Proper hiking boots at $150 are minimum essentials in my mind. I'd also recommend proper in-soles. Your toes shouldn't touch the inside tip in a steep downcline.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Claverjoe posted:

Maui, gonna hike that crater, spend some time in a cabin and go stargazing in a (hopefully) clear sky, then go be the stereotypical Hawaiian tourists and do beach-y stuff.
Do Sliding Sands down and the switchbacks up, it's much nicer. Are you staying in the crater at the switchbacks cabin or somewhere else?

Here's my copy paste for Maui:

If you're anywhere near Lahaina, both of the ends of town have cheap dinner options. Spanky's bar is a fun sports bar at the 505. On the other end of town, a new pizza place just opened up and has ocean views with super cheap good pizza. Thai Chef is cheap and BYOB, so hit up Foodland for a bottle of wine before going there. Star Noodle is another good option. If you want fancy and more expensive, Mala's is good if crowded. Pacific'o is probably the best expensive dining on that side of the island.

For snorkeling, Airport beach is always awesome. I think the real name is Kahekili beach but everyone knows it as airport beach. Black Rock at Kaanapali is also good snorkeling. If you want to swim with turtles, there are always a couple around at the bay here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...2abf1fa9ee6c9f8
Or if not, they're just over at Napili bay, one bay to the right. They are big and old and very friendly. You can park on the street and walk through the Honolua condos to get to the bay. The best access point is on the right of the bay if you're looking out to the water. You go over some bushes/caution tape and can enter down on the rocks. A bit tough but totally worth it.

Little beach is the best for boogieboarding and smoking weed, it's also the naked beach so be forewarned!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Go to Maui brewing co. If you like beer. Excellent beer, like 23 different ones on tap at any given time, and pints are $3 if you wear something with their logo on Wednesday.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Update time!

Goals for 2015
1) Get through our wedding in May without taking on debt (~$3,000 left to spend)
- Done and done. We spent $23,000 on our wedding, paid all in cash. Friggin' awesome!

2) Pay off the new wife's new to us car (~$15,000 left to pay)
- Not even close. We're making the regular payments on it so there's no problem but we're not going to have it paid off this year.

3) Start saving for retirement again
- Nearing completion. Started contributing to the 401k up to my employers match but we're also in the process (and hope to have the keys by the end of December) the purchase of our first rental property. Really excited (and terrified) to be doing this.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Possibly a dumb question; but about ready to start posting ITT and just realised, you guys are all doing goals for the financial year aren't you, not calendar. I'm in Australia so fin year is July 1 to June 30 but ive mentally been doing goals for calendar year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Baja Mofufu posted:

Goals:
1. Maintain maximum funding of 401k + match, 403b, and Roth IRAs
2. If I don't have a job starting fall 2015, pick up a lecture or two to max my 457b
3. Decide where we're going to save for college and begin
4. At least $30K to investments. Don't spend too much on the baby, future us, PLEASE!

Update time.

1. Done.
2. Done, I'm working part time until the end of 2015 when I'll take a year off to spend with my daughter.
3. Done, 529 opened with Vanguard. Set up the link for grandparents to donate, which is working nicely. ESA opened at TD Ameritrade and maxed for 2015.
4. Fail. The 2015 tax bill set us back $12K, and I haven't been keeping up with this at all. So far we've put in about $10K. We will not make this goal, but if we can do $15K I'll be happy. Should be possible since more than half of the difference is sitting in our checking account. Babies are too distracting.

Overall I'm comfortable with the amount we spend on the baby. I'll update at the end of the year with how much we saved in goal #4. Otherwise I count this year a success.

• Locked thread