Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

They should be!

Yeah, Israel with its proximity to the North Atlantic Ocean after all.

Turkey shouldn't be either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
It also doesn't help that you can probably just say that Obama hasn't changed that much, it was the Republicans. They got infinitely crazier and instead of holding their hand and saying why they were wrong, the only appropriate response is to say "what the gently caress" and laugh at them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, Israel with its proximity to the North Atlantic Ocean after all.

Turkey shouldn't be either

Turkey is not a Democratic nation which shares the values of NATO. If Turkey were a nation applying to NATO at the present time, their membership would be rejected with good cause.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Logikv9 posted:

It also doesn't help that you can probably just say that Obama hasn't changed that much, it was the Republicans. They got infinitely crazier and instead of holding their hand and saying why they were wrong, the only appropriate response is to say "what the gently caress" and laugh at them.

Maybe Obama should let Congress have input upon who is allowed to be a citizen, as the Founders intended, rather than calling them cowards afraid of grannies. Congress ain't afraid of grandmas, its afraid that Obama is proceeding too swiftly with plans to resettle scores of individuals dependent upon the public dole which Congress is responsible for reauthorizing and funding every year.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

My Imaginary GF posted:

They should be!

hahahahaha

hahaha

haha

Oh MIGF, never change.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
That article is migf the article.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I know Trump think pieces are a dime a dozen, but this one is pretty good

Frank Rich posted:

In the short time since Trump declared his candidacy, he has performed a public service by exposing, however crudely and at times inadvertently, the posturings of both the Republicans and the Democrats and the foolishness and obsolescence of much of the political culture they share. He is, as many say, making a mockery of the entire political process with his bull-in-a-china-shop antics. But the mockery in this case may be overdue, highly warranted, and ultimately a spur to reform rather than the crime against civic order that has scandalized those who see him, in the words of the former George W. Bush speechwriter Michael Gerson, as “dangerous to democracy.”

Probable as it may be that Trump’s poll numbers will fade and that he will flame out before the Republicans convene in Cleveland in July, it’s not a sure thing. If the best his intraparty adversaries can come up with as dragon slayers are his fellow outsiders — the joyless scold Fiorina, who presided over the firing of 30,000 Hewlett-Packard workers (a bounteous gift to Democratic attack ads), or the low-low-energy Carson, who has never run anything except an operating room — that means they have no plan. And thanks to another unintended consequence of the GOP’s Citizens United “victory,” the PACs it enables will keep hopeless presidential candidates financially afloat no matter how poorly they are faring in polls and primaries, thereby crippling the party’s ability to unite early behind a single anti-Trump alternative. In a worst-case scenario, the GOP could reach the spring stretch with the party’s one somebody still ahead of a splintered field of nobodies.

By then, Trump’s Establishment nemeses, those who march to the beat of the Journal editorial page and Krauthammer and Will, will be manning the backroom battle stations and writing big checks to bring him down. The specter of a brokered Republican convention loomed briefly in 2012, when Romney was slow to lock up the nomination. Should such a scenario rear up again in 2016, the Koch brothers, no fans of Trump, could be at the center of the action. Whatever happens, there will be blood. The one thing Trump never does is go quietly, and neither will his followers. As Ross Douthat, a reform conservative, wrote in August, Trump has tapped into the populist resentments of middle-class voters who view the GOP and the elites who run it as tools of “moneyed interests.” If the Republicans “find a way to crush Trump without adapting to his message,” he added, the pressure of that resentment will keep building within the party, and “when it bursts, the GOP as we know it may go with it.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

One thing I'm still not quite clear on - what is a no fly zone supposed to do?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

My Imaginary GF posted:

Turkey is not a Democratic nation which shares the values of NATO. If Turkey were a nation applying to NATO at the present time, their membership would be rejected with good cause.

What do you think the values of NATO are?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

One thing I'm still not quite clear on - what is a no fly zone supposed to do?

Severely reduce Assad's power to slaughter his own population with helicopters & jet bombers, probably. Also start a war with russia? not sure if that's seen as a pro or a con.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Whoops, looks like we celebrated too soon about that stupid conservative kid:

quote:

“Right now, the best candidate tackling race relations that I, with my beliefs could get behind, is [Florida Sen.] Marco Rubio,” Pearson told TheBlaze, adding that he doesn’t see himself working for any other campaigns this presidential cycle.

Pearson said that working for Cruz’s campaign had nothing to do with his decision to distance himself from the conservative label and admonished that he is “no Jonathan Krohn” — the 13-year-old who spoke at the Conservative Political Action Conference in 2009 but denounced conservatism just a few years later while attributing his previous views to his “naivety.”

To those who may criticize Pearson for once again changing his mind, Pearson said, “they’re smoking too much.”

“I have long been a champion of conservative principles,” Pearson said. “I’ve simply decided to remove a label and listen to both sides.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/27/13-year-old-viral-sensation-c-j-pearson-disavows-conservatism-heres-who-hes-now-supporting/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The New York Times posted:

And it was also in 2012 that Mr. Obama warned the Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad, that using chemical weapons would cross a “red line.” Yet when Mr. Assad did just that, Mr. Obama did nothing.

Seems I'm having a Rashomon moment here, because that's not the way I remember it.

But of course that's what the Republican Party wants us to believe so it's easy to say that and not get any scrutiny whatsoever because "the truth is in the middle"!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PleasingFungus posted:

What do you think the values of NATO are?

1. Commitment to free and fair elections
2. Commitment to freedom of the press
3. gently caress Russia, but not too much

The order of these may change at times, depending upon the administration. Clearly, Obama's administration is a break from tradition.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Seems I'm having a Rashomon moment here, because that's not the way I remember it.

But of course that's what the Republican Party wants us to believe so it's easy to say that and not get any scrutiny whatsoever because "the truth is in the middle"!

Obama didn't follow through on his redline, ergo he did nothing. That's the way the American people understand what happened.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Thank you, thank you very much.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Severely reduce Assad's power to slaughter his own population with helicopters & jet bombers, probably. Also start a war with russia? not sure if that's seen as a pro or a con.

Russia appears to be more than willing to bomb Assad's people for him so I guess we can just skip straight to Fallout 4 LARPing.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

why does anyone give a gently caress what a 13 year old thinks?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

Russia appears to be more than willing to bomb Assad's people for him so I guess we can just skip straight to Fallout 4 LARPing.

Unlike Turkey, Russia is also willing to kill ISIL.

nerve posted:

why does anyone give a gently caress what a 13 year old thinks?

Well, it depends --- do they have trustfunds from which they can do either an ACH or wire transfer? If so, I respect their opinion, and especially the opinion of the parent which controls their accounts. I understand that their contributions were made of their own free will and will have a signature on file stating such.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

an important thing to remember about the 'Tea Party is tearing the GOP apart' narrative is that we got the exact same message four years ago, when, hey, an overwhelming majority of the party was united against romney. Surely the establishment was doomed! Except that it turned out GOP voters didn't actually dislike romney, they just weren't that excited by him. When it came time to vote, they rallied solidly behind their candidate, just as usual.

are trump's voters actually committed to him, and opposed to the establishment, or will they fall in line when the time comes, too?

vs

I don't know for certain. Trump is a genuinely unique candidate, and conventional wisdom has been very consistently wrong about him so far. But I wouldn't bet on the GOP tearing itself apart on his behalf, one way or another.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
is this the same kid that faked a obama twitter blocking?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

1. Commitment to free and fair elections
2. Commitment to freedom of the press
3. gently caress Russia, but not too much

The order of these may change at times, depending upon the administration. Clearly, Obama's administration is a break from tradition.

See, I'm pretty sure that the values of NATO are (1) Contain Russia. It's why the organization was founded, and what its capabilities are suited to.

How do you think that Obama is breaking from tradition? He's not the one who invited Turkey into NATO, AFAIK.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PleasingFungus posted:

How do you think that Obama is breaking from tradition? He's not the one who invited Turkey into NATO, AFAIK.

He shouldn't have placed America in a position where it is aligned with a neo-Ottoman dictator.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Logikv9 posted:

is this the same kid that faked a obama twitter blocking?

They engraved a B into the back of his iPhone, ruining its resale value forever.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My Imaginary GF posted:

He shouldn't have placed America in a position where it is aligned with a neo-Ottoman dictator.

If only Obama had used Project Pegasus one last time to to travel to London on October 22, 1951 to stop the signing of The Greece-Turkey Protocol, we wouldn't be in this mess! Thanks, Obama.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Logikv9 posted:

Who are we to say really.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If only Obama had used Project Pegasus one last time to to travel to London on October 22, 1951 to stop the signing of The Greece-Turkey Protocol, we wouldn't be in this mess! Thanks, Obama.

If only Obama had told Erdogan to cut that poo poo, like arming, financing, and facilitating ISIL, out or else, and followed through on the or else.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

The president flippantly dismissed worries about the vetting process despite the fact that, as James R. Clapper Jr., the director of national intelligence, said in September, the possibility that the Islamic State might infiltrate operatives among Syrian refugees is “a huge concern of ours.”

Oh hey can everyone pay attention to this quote for a second? I know I'm quoting poo poo written by MIGF, but still. This is a brilliant example of spin in this country.

I love this sentence. I love it dearly. It is a wonderful sentence because it shows just how malleable words, the story and the truth are. It's not wrong! Clapper absolutely said that IS operatives could potentially be among Syrian refugees. And it sounds scary, a man of authority suspecting wolves among the sheep. Chilling.
Except one problem.

James Clapper posted:

America’s top spy said Wednesday that U.S. intelligence officials have a “huge concern” about Islamic State’s ability to infiltrate waves of Syrian war refugees flowing into Europe and potentially the United States as pressure mounts on Western nations to take in a growing number of people fleeing the conflict in the heart of the Middle East.

“As they descend on Europe, one of the obvious issues that we worry about, and in turn as we bring refugees into this country, is exactly what’s their background?” Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper said. “We don’t obviously put it past the likes of ISIL to infiltrate operatives among these refugees.”

“That is a huge concern of ours,” Mr. Clapper said during a rare and unusually informal public appearance at an annual U.S. intelligence community conference that kicked off Wednesday morning in Washington.

While he added that U.S. authorities, who have so far allowed in fewer than 2,000 of Syria’s some 4 million refugees, have a “pretty aggressive” system for screening the backgrounds of those seeking entry into the United States, Mr. Clapper said he’s not so confident about the capabilities of some European nations.

He made the remarks during a wide ranging question-and-answer session that former ambassador and U.S. intelligence chief John Negroponte moderated at Wednesday’s conference sponsored by the Intelligence and National Security Alliance and the Armed Forces Electronics Communication Association..

drat look at what context does to that! Turns out that Clapper is okay with the US vetting process, but is uncertain our European allies are up to snuff!
And the best part, the cherry on the sundae, is that MIGF's quote absolutely fits this context too. But by itself, it sounds scarier. And your mind jumps to a conclusion which was not Clapper's intention. And the reporter knew you would, and intended you to do this when they wrote their article. It's insidious.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 29, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SSNeoman posted:

Oh hey can everyone pay attention to this quote for a second? I know I'm quoting poo poo written by MIGF, but still. This is a brilliant example of spin in this country.

I love this sentence. I love it dearly. It is a wonderful sentence because it shows just how malleable words, the story and the truth are. It's not wrong! Clapper absolutely said that IS operatives could potentially be among Syrian refugees. And it sounds scary, a man of authority suspecting wolves among the sheep. Chilling.
Except one problem.

drat look at what context does to that! Turns out that Clapper is okay with the US vetting process, but is uncertain our European allies are up to snuff!
And the best part, the cherry on the sundae, is that MIGF's quote absolutely fits this context too. But by itself, it sounds scarier. And your mind jumps to a conclusion which was not Clapper's intention. And the reporter knew you would, and intended you to do this when they wrote their article. It's insidious.

How can you say your understanding of Clapper's intent is more informed than a New York Times' columnists'?

Further, it sounds like you do not think that there was anything factually incorrect in that bit of reading, only that the tone ain't what you wish it was.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

greatn posted:

I'm so glad the guys on SGU, which I think I'd the best science news and skeptical podcast, don't give Harris or Dawkins the loving time of day or any lip service at all. It probably helped that Dawkins spend considerable time attacking their note former co-host for being uptight.
uh did the dude get charged with anything for battering the girl

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

My Imaginary GF posted:

How can you say your understanding of Clapper's intent is more informed than a New York Times' columnists'?

Further, it sounds like you do not think that there was anything factually incorrect in that bit of reading, only that the tone ain't what you wish it was.

It's not a question of understanding, dude. The NYT piece deliberately re/de-contextualises what Clapper said to give it a significantly different implication.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

I admit, I'm impressed how quickly you find a way to turn around and disagree with people in that slightly-but-not-quite inflammatory way regardless of the subject. I admire your dedication to your craft.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
nm

Eat_at_Milliways
May 3, 2006
bald_kid

Hollismason posted:

Okay I got Carson literally saying that " This shooting would have been prevented if the Planned Parenthood people had not sold dead baby parts".

Meet the Press drinking game: "baby parts," "domestic terror," chug while Trump's on

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So we were talking about abortion a few pages back and it did make me curious: where in the Bible DOES is talk about abortion? I know the whole homosexuality thing has been referenced constantly in Leviticus, but I don't recall conservatives ever really referring to any specific part of the bible when it comes to abortion.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

So we were talking about abortion a few pages back and it did make me curious: where in the Bible DOES is talk about abortion? I know the whole homosexuality thing has been referenced constantly in Leviticus, but I don't recall conservatives ever really referring to any specific part of the bible when it comes to abortion.

Aside from lots of talk about the merits of infanticide, hardly at all iirc

It's why you hear rumblings every so often about making an Americanized version of the Bible to eliminate awkward questions like that

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Mr Interweb posted:

Jesus was born without sin because his mom was a virgin. Everyone else is born with sin and need to be saved. Basically there are HUGE lines in purgatory and we're just trying to make things run more efficiently okay?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Jeremiah 32:35 is the verse anti-choicers quote claiming abortion is a sin. It never mentions abortion, but sacrificing living children to the god Molech. Otherwise, abortion is never mentioned in the bible.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+32:35

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Maybe they base their opposition to abortion on the hadith (jk that's to the left of the mainstream GOP on abortion)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Jeremiah 32:35 is the verse anti-choicers quote claiming abortion is a sin. It never mentions abortion, but sacrificing living children to the god Molech. Otherwise, abortion is never mentioned in the bible.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+32:35

In my experience, far more often it's sorta mashing a bunch of poo poo together. What ends up being quoted a ton is the whole "I knew you when you were in the womb" or whatever, which is then used to form the argument of "SEE THEY'RE BABIES EVEN AT DAY 1," which is then followed up by the whole no murdering thing.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

In my experience, far more often it's sorta mashing a bunch of poo poo together. What ends up being quoted a ton is the whole "I knew you when you were in the womb" or whatever, which is then used to form the argument of "SEE THEY'RE BABIES EVEN AT DAY 1," which is then followed up by the whole no murdering thing.

Jeremiah 1:5. They use that one too. Both verses are out of context, but one talks about killing babies and the other talks about God knowing fetuses so that must mean God doesn't like abortion. Never mind the church didn't object to abortion until people started developing effective birth control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

DemeaninDemon posted:

basically, it finds that obama didnt go hard enough on syria, despite actual opposition to most of the plans he had for syria from, big surprise, republicans.

• Locked thread