Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SkeletonHero posted:

This post feels like shaking hands with an old friend.

hello person who watched the same video on the internet as me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Edit: Naw, wrong board.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I don't know if that has been posted, but apparently a prototype for the Nintendo Playstation actually exists.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

if you 100% dk64 then you can find a blast-processed polygon skeleton in a hidden room

It's your skeleton in your room IRL because you died of boredom and have no friends so no one found your body.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Butt Ghost posted:

I don't know if that has been posted, but apparently a prototype for the Nintendo Playstation actually exists.

Unfortunately, the disk drive (or the bios for the disk drive or something more technical) doesn't work, so it's basically a fancy SNES. Pretty cool that it showed up, though.

Mr_Blue
Apr 4, 2015
I wonder how that might have affected video game history. Would Final Fantasy have remained a Nintendo-only series?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo would be at its rightful place as the undisputed King of Video Games.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Really though, IIRC the main reason Square jumped ship was because Nintendo insisted on the cartridge format, so FF may well have stayed with them.

More generally, Sony would only be in the market in conjunction with Nintendo. That said, (and I'm reaching here, mostly for fun) without a PS2 to crush the Dreamcast Sega might still be in the game, so Nintendo might not have a total monopoly. Whether Microsoft would try to muscle in on this hypothetical market I couldn't guess.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm interested in seeing the universe where that happened.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Maybe it's because I grew up on Roald Dahl books but most of this 'super creepy vidya game' stuff is not remotely creepy even for a six year old.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I grew up on renaissance art and find video games a lower art form

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Ekster posted:

Maybe it's because I grew up on Roald Dahl books but most of this 'super creepy vidya game' stuff is not remotely creepy even for a six year old.

I've yet to read a creepy video game story that is at all scary but I know people who are genuinely creeped out by stuff they read on some creepy pasta wikia, and I've read maybe a handful that are, on some level, interesting.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm interested in seeing the universe where that happened.

Bit of a cross-post from the poo poo Dragging Down This Game thread in PYF, but it always annoyed me that Game Dev Tycoon always goes with recorded history when it comes to PC/Video games. It'd be really awesome if, during one game, poo poo like the Nintendo Playstation happened.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm not 100% convinced by this. Would the PlayStation branding have been so fully formed in 1991 and at the prototype stage? Would there not have been a dispute over this when Sony released one? I think it's more likely the PlayStation branding was entirely Sony's, and it was only ever applied to the Nintendo collaboration on hindsight.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EvilGenius posted:

I'm not 100% convinced by this. Would the PlayStation branding have been so fully formed in 1991 and at the prototype stage? Would there not have been a dispute over this when Sony released one? I think it's more likely the PlayStation branding was entirely Sony's, and it was only ever applied to the Nintendo collaboration on hindsight.

Yes. The PlayStation name was proposed by Sony from the start, though Nintendo reportedly preferred the name SNES CD (which is what the failed attempt with Philips would have been called as well).

With Sony, the intention was both to release an addon that could go onto an SNES you already owned, and a separate integrated system, int he vein of the Sega Genesis CDX.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It wouldn't surprise me if that's just a mockup instead of the genuine article.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Improbable Lobster posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if that's just a mockup instead of the genuine article.

It has all of the circuitry for the cd rom system, it just doesn't have the software to run it which is presumably in pre-alpha form and what the non-functional cartridge there is for. They wouldn't put all of the hardware inside of a mockup. It's legit. Just an early, barely working example. It's been floating around the internet since July I think and a lot has been written / said about it. The dude has also been offered a lot of money from collectors and has turned them all down so it's likely not a hoax.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'd just like to say, that whatever topic gets discussed in this thread, I smile every time "Still The Best. 1973" pops up to the top of my CP.

Carry on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
this thread's more for fun than actual creepies
Though the "I'M COMIN' TO KILL YOUR PUPPY" message in the otherwise nondescript racing game I posted was a little disturbing to me.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah, to this day I still wonder what was up with that.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Probably programmer art that was forgotten and left in because it was on an obscure and out-of-sight billboard.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Some of the bits and pieces in this thread inspired me to write something myself. It's pretty heavily inspired by the 5am stories, so might not have the same impact now that those have all been picked bare.

Still: http://trainingbsp.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/the-gaming-community-of-early-2000s-was.html

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Oh man I really liked that last chat transcript

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Whybird posted:

Some of the bits and pieces in this thread inspired me to write something myself. It's pretty heavily inspired by the 5am stories, so might not have the same impact now that those have all been picked bare.

Still: http://trainingbsp.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/the-gaming-community-of-early-2000s-was.html

when i finished it i felt a bit short changed but having let it sink in for a few minutes, it's spot on.

i would probably cut the last entry after the final chat transcript down. maybe pull the KING reference out, makes it more jarring. otherwise i love it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Whybird posted:

This was good and fun, thanks!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Whybird posted:

As someone who thoroughly explored 5am with a friend this is super cool and I liked it a lot

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Whybird posted:

It's been said that horror is scarier when you leave the threat as a hidden, unknown force. I think what this story has shown me is that you don't add to the horror by hiding information. You add to the horror by providing ambiguous information.

It's clear what's being said. What's not clear is who's saying it. The implications are creepy no matter who it is, but the reason why is different.

It's not even clear whether anything bad is happening at all, which somehow makes it even worse.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Really, really good read Whybird. Nice work on that.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, that was really great. Thanks for sharing it with us.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Nice job

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Whybird posted:

This is really great

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That was good! The only thing I got confused on was so much hinged on the thing of a bungalow without stairs but a lot of them actually have them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did they have stairs in their house? Is our protagonist's old friend protected? Truly, some questions are best left unanswered.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

moths posted:

That was good! The only thing I got confused on was so much hinged on the thing of a bungalow without stairs but a lot of them actually have them.

True, perhaps his mother dying when he was a kid, then saying his mother was alive again would have worked better? I dunno, I'm not writer. But y definition bungalows just don't have long stair cases unless it has a basement?

I thought the ending was fairly clear if you think about it and reread a little. Especially when Dead 'h0nk' repeated the phrase divisible used, 'i fucke dup'. I hope I didn't get this wrong, and this isn't stupidly transphobic, but it makes me wonder if divisible was also gotten by the anime girl corpse, hence picking up new pronouns. Assuming it was he to she. This doesn't make much sense, but Dead 'h0nk' did say s/he was in contact with divisible. Unless Dead 'h0nk' was lying about that too.

Why the anime girl corpse waited so long to get h0nk, I'm not sure. [Assuming AGC got divisible first, I mean.] Testing the waters, trying to find someone who fit the criteria of leadership?

Thank you for the cool new story! Coming from someone not old enough to do gaming when half life was around, I thought it explained the backstory of maps, and what the TRAINING.bsp map was like without going into 'hyper realistic blood' territory.

CJacobs posted:

Did they have stairs in their house? Is our protagonist's old friend protected? Truly, some questions are best left unanswered.

oh my god, the true horror :laffo:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Wedemeyer posted:

True, perhaps his mother dying when he was a kid, then saying his mother was alive again would have worked better? I dunno, I'm not writer.

Actually this is a much better way of doing the denouement, thank you :) 'h0nk's mum was dead' is a much stronger line than 'h0nk lived in a bungalow'.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Secret of Evermore is a legit creepy game. It's grim and dark, especially compared to Secret of Mana. Maybe it was just a symptom of the times - America was in a really dark place in the early nineties (For instance, for as much as you hear about gun violence, it peaked in 1993 and we are sitting at almost half the rate from back in the day.)

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Really like the story. I appreciate that it doesn't lay it on too thick.

Wedemeyer posted:

I thought the ending was fairly clear if you think about it and reread a little. Especially when Dead 'h0nk' repeated the phrase divisible used, 'i fucke dup'. I hope I didn't get this wrong, and this isn't stupidly transphobic, but it makes me wonder if divisible was also gotten by the anime girl corpse, hence picking up new pronouns. Assuming it was he to she. This doesn't make much sense, but Dead 'h0nk' did say s/he was in contact with divisible. Unless Dead 'h0nk' was lying about that too.

Think you misread who was saying what in that last conversation.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Whybird posted:

Actually this is a much better way of doing the denouement, thank you :) 'h0nk's mum was dead' is a much stronger line than 'h0nk lived in a bungalow'.

I disagree because "she was already dead" is hokey as all hell. Keep the more mundane staircase reveal , it's implied the protagonist is talking about a house he's familiar with that has only one floor

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That was a clever little story, I liked it. Playing on the lack of concrete information is better than blast processed skeletons, and better than a complete lack of information. Also, bungalow is a bit of an awkward word choice. It almost feels like the punchline of the joke. I'd suggest working some reference to h0nks parents in, and making it something like similar that they were divorced. 'me and my dad took her to the hospital' 'wtf h0nks parents were divorced he lived with his dad' or something. Also I take it "fucke dup" is just supposed to be used like an in joke about friends that not-h0nk didn't pick up on? So few details can make such tantalizing questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
This was awesome. One of those things where I desperately want answers but at the same time think the mystery adds to the effect. Like how did whoever was posing as h0nk know him well enough to immitate his writing style, but not know that he lived in a bungalow? Also is there any relevance to divisible becoming (I presume) trans? Just feels like a weird detail to put in for no reason.