Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

quote:

They really didn't care too much about hiding that one, did they.

No, they didn't. That might have been kind of the point.

Kevin's words after the robot battle on the Gurune Gate wall were kind of indicative on the chapter on the whole: "It's easy enough to fool someone who already wants to believe."

Renne was as suspicious as the letter from "Joshua", but Estelle fell for it because she didn't want to believe that Renne was an Ouroboros agent and that Ouroboros employed more child soldiers aside from Joshua. Even after Amalthea mentions she got manipulated by a little girl and Renne reveals her presence, Estelle remains in denial and tells her "let me help you get down from there" until Renne pulls out the scythe and confirms she's an enforcer. It's a little throwback to the pre-prologue part where Estelle also remained in denial until the truth became impossible to deny. This is kind of the other side of the coin of Estelle's relentless optimism and insistence to see the best in people no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Cake Attack posted:

(spoilers that go beyond sc) as far as i can tell the only basis for this theory is that the grandmaster is a women (which itself only comes from supplementary material, not any game), so it's not confirmed or anything. that said im sure it'd be accompanied with some twists as to the nature of the sept-terrions and the goddess and such though that'd explain this

if only leonhart hadn't gotten himself chumped since apparently he'd met the GM

My biggest question for the protagonists is why was nobody smart enough, even among the smartest members, to ask who the grandmaster was, or force out viable information on Ouroboros?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Slur posted:

My biggest question for the protagonists is why was nobody smart enough, even among the smartest members, to ask who the grandmaster was, or force out viable information on Ouroboros?

Nobody except Loewe would even remotely have been inclined to answer anyway.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

the first game has a white-haired pretty boy who dual wields swords and is so overwhelmingly powerful that he can 1v3 your party and you're expected to lose the fight in two turns, and the final boss is a giant robot.

Yes, you just listed the two instances of over-the-topness in FC (and I didn't like Lorence there either)

He does not dual wield swords though :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Endorph posted:

the first game has a white-haired pretty boy who dual wields swords and is so overwhelmingly powerful that he can 1v3 your party and you're expected to lose the fight in two turns, and the final boss is a giant robot.

I fought him again with an old FC file yesterday just to see if I could beat him this time and I won on my first try. The man didn't even KO anyone. Some overwhelming power THAT is. :colbert:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
trails in the sky does in fact use an art style reminiscent to that of animated cartoons originating from the country of japan

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cold steel is going to tear this thread apart

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Face To Anime

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

cold steel is going to tear this thread apart

I know nothing about the game except for watching the OP movie and I'm already guessing that the blond archer girl is the main love interest, will engage in rote anime tsundere antics, and is probably from some rich high-class family to boot.

I may end up being completely wrong but the fact that I have such confidence in my educated guess speaks volumes.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
ToCS has a cool weapon for the protagonist and i want the camo for it when it comes out soon in pso2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

I know nothing about the game except for watching the OP movie and I'm already guessing that the blond archer girl is the main love interest, will engage in rote anime tsundere antics, and is probably from some rich high-class family to boot.

I may end up being completely wrong but the fact that I have such confidence in my educated guess speaks volumes.
she'll be cute, and i'll like her.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

same except her

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

she'll be cute, and i'll like her.

I disagree, in this essay-length post about my feelings on the pitiful, cliche, tired state of modern anime and anime-influenced video games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

same except her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a list of cold steel characters that will be cool:

all of them, especially the girls

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

a list of cold steel characters that will be cool:

all of them, especially the girls

i'm going to go out with the cute teacher who drinks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

same except her

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can't hotlink pixiv

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wtf

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

http://imgur.com/gegkDb7

technically nsfw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
not safe for mueller

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Because when you flip over the M in Mueller, you get a W!

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

My only thoughts about Cold Steel are about how much I wish it would come out on PC

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
My only thoughts about Cold Steel are "Release Date Dammit, XSEED!"

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Endorph posted:

Not to mention a tournament arc, the obligatory hot springs, parental neglect

The thing is though that unlike 90% of shounen manga it doesn't forget to have an actual plot when the set of face-offs hit. It also has the advantage over manga that it can't be turned into a never ending un-moving plot morass by publishers once it gets popular. Nothing more depressing in manga that a cool, quirky and interesting series getting a totally rushed ending due to it facing the axe and good and popular series having all the fun and momentum sucked out of them out of need to cash in on yet another volume.

The Colonel posted:

I disagree, in this essay-length post about my feelings on the pitiful, cliche, tired state of modern anime and anime-influenced video games

Drill hair AND twin-tails!

I do hope Cold Steel, like Trails FC and SC breaks enough genre conventions to be interesting.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I would just like to point out that nowhere in my posts did I deny the game being anime! I used words like "grounded" for a reason. The game is definitely anime but I feel like it's a different anime than the one the villains come from.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel i should point out that anime owns

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Agreed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm looking forward to Cold Steel because highschool settings are good. See also: Persona.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
just gonna throw out that one of the reasons the Society may feel like it's from a different anime is because it straight up is from another anime. afaik Falcom has stated (and even without that it's kind of super painfully obvious) that the Society borrows heavily, by which I mean basically lifts entirely and files off the serial numbers, from the villain organization Big Fire from noted anime Giant Robo, right down to

1: serving an unclear leader known only by their title
2: the heads of the organization under them are a disparate group with little cohesion
3: the actual executors of various operations are similarly disparate and possessed of overwhelming personal abilities, far beyond anything most other people have
4: but they have no over-arching obligation, and are even free to act against said society's agenda without any severe repercussion
5: their exact plans are unclear and often self-defeating or built to test their own members as much as advance any agenda

So if the Society feels slightly out of place, that may be why, especially as Giant Robo is a completely over the top giant robot anime about a boy who yells at a, uh, giant robot through his watch, and not a down-to-earth steam/magitech-era adventure story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BlondRobin posted:

just gonna throw out that one of the reasons the Society may feel like it's from a different anime is because it straight up is from another anime. afaik Falcom has stated (and even without that it's kind of super painfully obvious) that the Society borrows heavily, by which I mean basically lifts entirely and files off the serial numbers, from the villain organization Big Fire from noted anime Giant Robo, right down to

oh my god, i never made that connection. this is loving beautiful

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh hey, I figured out why stressing over underleveled people is completely pointless: Shining Poms give absolutely disgusting amounts of exp if you're underleveled and are amazingly easy to grind. I almost feel like they were created for this very purpose.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Amppelix posted:

Oh hey, I figured out why stressing over underleveled people is completely pointless: Shining Poms give absolutely disgusting amounts of exp if you're underleveled and are amazingly easy to grind. I almost feel like they were created for this very purpose.

Shining Poms were a great source of EXP and Sepith in FC, but they don't show up nearly as regularly in SC and they're a lot harder to kill.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Shining Poms were a great source of EXP and Sepith in FC, but they don't show up nearly as regularly in SC and they're a lot harder to kill.

I actually found the opposite to be true. I think I ran into them all of once in FC, but in SC once you know what encounters they appear in it becomes pretty trivial to grind them out, especially later in the game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I found it super easy in FC, because they showed up on the actual map and you could chase them down.

In SC, I only saw a couple over the course of the whole game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I found it super easy in FC, because they showed up on the actual map and you could chase them down.

In SC, I only saw a couple over the course of the whole game.

They're easier to spot for sure, but:

A) They don't give nearly as much EXP in FC so they're mostly good for massive sepith gains

B) They're actually really, really easy to grind, because they always appear in the same map enemy sprite (randomly). So once you know what those are/randomly run into one, you just run from the battle continuously until you get the correct enemy arrangement, kill them, exit the room and repeat.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I must be grossly under-leveled in the Loewe fight atop Axis Pillar. I was one-shotted in the first fight. I did come close another try but then I ate a huge S-craft that left two folk frozen and easy pickings.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

V-Men posted:

I must be grossly under-leveled in the Loewe fight atop Axis Pillar. I was one-shotted in the first fight. I did come close another try but then I ate a huge S-craft that left two folk frozen and easy pickings.

I did that fight right around level 90-91 and it was still really hard. What's your team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Some Numbers posted:

I did that fight right around level 90-91 and it was still really hard. What's your team?

Estelle, Joshua, Klaudia, and Agate. Though I'm somewhere in the mid to high-80s for level.