Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I don't claim to speak for all users but I can speak anecdotaly. Me and the two friends I play Vermintide with have not experienced any game breaking bugs. No crashes, no major glitches, nothing. In fact Vermintide is probably among the more stable games I play. While it certainly has bugs (of the 'enemy spawning in weird place' or 'player getting stuck on geometry' variety) I've had far more wonky behavior from 'reputable' games like Payday 2 or Killing Floor 2 than from Vermintide. Any game is a risk based on your hardware configuration but just keep the Steam return clause in mind while you try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Just had two of the most amazing nightmare runs with pubbies. First one starts off as an ordinary Horn of Magnus run, but starts going downhill from the start when there's a german pubbie with a perpetually open mic so there's constantly a sound of breathing in my ear, punctuated with bouts of chewing as he snacks on chips or whatever. He's also constantly telling people what to do in a very imperious fashion even though he's the lowest level present at 25 and soon also starts calling people idiots for not obeying his every command, picks up the second grimoire before clearing the rooftops as the rest of the team requests and winds up being the first to go down as the rat ogre and a swarm spawns right before the tower and wipe out the group. He uses his spare time while downed to call people idiots and noobs until the screen fades to black.

I join another HoM lobby after everyone leaves, and the same dude's in there with 2 other brand new pubbies. I start making fun of him for the last run and he denies all knowledge of what I'm talking about, even though I can hear the same gross sounds coming out of his mic again, and also informs me that his "main" is level 117. We start the run and this time he prudently decides to keep his mouth and his mic shut after the other 2 teammates call him out on the open mic as well, and all goes fairly smoothly until we're at the rooftop portion again. The host just mysteriously dies from full health without being knocked down and we've yet to have a rogre spawn, so he insists that we clear the rooftops before picking up the grim since we're already short handed, but the rear end in a top hat's having none of it and just rushes to pick it up and annoys the host enough to initiate a kick vote on the guy. We all vote for it and the last thing we hear of him is an impotent, rage choked scream of WHAT THE gently caress.

We proceed to clear the level with all grims and tomes intact, and I roll a perfect 7 to score me a sweet exotic trinket.

Summing up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
There is no amount of retribution style justice that Germans don't deserve. It was only 75 years ago you know.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Kitchner posted:

There is no amount of retribution style justice that Germans don't deserve. It was only 75 years ago you know.

its not like they didn't shut their borders to immigration along with the aussies and *other* adacent eu noob countries only a few days ago

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

also grats on that leg trinket :P

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Nurel posted:

its not like they didn't shut their borders to immigration along with the aussies and *other* adacent eu noob countries only a few days ago

They need the living space.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

Mendrian posted:

I don't claim to speak for all users but I can speak anecdotaly. Me and the two friends I play Vermintide with have not experienced any game breaking bugs. No crashes, no major glitches, nothing. In fact Vermintide is probably among the more stable games I play. While it certainly has bugs (of the 'enemy spawning in weird place' or 'player getting stuck on geometry' variety) I've had far more wonky behavior from 'reputable' games like Payday 2 or Killing Floor 2 than from Vermintide. Any game is a risk based on your hardware configuration but just keep the Steam return clause in mind while you try it.

This is my experience too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I've had one ctd and one soundcard crash. Game is stable and reliable as all hell.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've had one crash, almost no lag, and many, many dead rats.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I crashed two or three times during the pre-release beta, and maybe twice once release came around. Sucks that it doesn't work for y'all and you think this is a busted piece of poo poo because the only busted pieces of poo poo I see are rat corpses.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I know my experience is anecdotal and I'm glad it is working fine for most people. I'm just personally soured on the game, since in my experience the crashes and disconnects have only increased (I didn't mind the beta crashes, since that's to be expected). I've played the game on two separate computers and faced similar problems, despite other multiplayer games working fine.

Steam's refund policy is a good thing to keep in mind in case a new buyer's experience is similar to mine.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Promontory posted:

I know my experience is anecdotal and I'm glad it is working fine for most people. I'm just personally soured on the game, since in my experience the crashes and disconnects have only increased (I didn't mind the beta crashes, since that's to be expected). I've played the game on two separate computers and faced similar problems, despite other multiplayer games working fine.

Steam's refund policy is a good thing to keep in mind in case a new buyer's experience is similar to mine.

I don't know if this was answered, but do you have non-ASCII characters in your name? Have you tried playing with a regular alphanumeric steam name yet, because I remember there being some talk of that being a problem around release.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

But Not Tonight posted:

I don't know if this was answered, but do you have non-ASCII characters in your name? Have you tried playing with a regular alphanumeric steam name yet, because I remember there being some talk of that being a problem around release.

No, my nick only has regular characters, but thanks. Anyways, I did some digging. Don't want to derail the thread into tech support but I'll summarize in case someone else is looking up stuff: it seems that 1) there might be issues with moving from the beta to the full release that can be solved with a reinstall 2) i7 processors might have trouble with the game 3) latest patch may have caused issues to some users. I've deleted the game for now and will try reinstalling it when the mood for rat-bashing strikes me.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My weird log-in issues are just really weird. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I've valiated files, uninstalled and reinstalled... nothing seems to work. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

No. 6 posted:

My weird log-in issues are just really weird. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I've valiated files, uninstalled and reinstalled... nothing seems to work. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

are you on windows 10?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yes

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I just need the White Rat on Hard to have done all on Hard, random pubbie groups don't seem to cut it though :smith:

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Kitchner posted:

I just need the White Rat on Hard to have done all on Hard, random pubbie groups don't seem to cut it though :smith:

So true. I dont goon play and although I have found numerous pubbie groups competent at nightmare I have yet to find a decent group playing white rat on hard.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

There are a few exploits that make it a breeze. If I could get in a game, I'd invite you and share.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Remember that completing on Nightmare implicitly completes on Hard, so if you were to, for example, join a game in progress on Nightmare, with its associated more serious pubbies, you could clear the difficulty that way.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm in the game now. If you'd like to do White rat on Hard or more let me know. My Steam ID is No6

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I was walking in the old parts of the city and I met a rat. Surprised, he turned to look at me. Without a moment's hesitation I stabbed him in the throat, in and out in one smooth motion. He clutched at his neck, groping, trying to stop the bleeding. I watched as he slumped to the filthy cobblestones, gurgling and panting, frantically at first, but soon feebly and after only a few seconds, went completely silent. I stepped over him, to where his fellows were scrambling too late to their feet, and did it again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Mzbundifund posted:

I was walking in the old parts of the city and I met a rat. Surprised, he turned to look at me. Without a moment's hesitation I stabbed him in the throat, in and out in one smooth motion. He clutched at his neck, groping, trying to stop the bleeding. I watched as he slumped to the filthy cobblestones, gurgling and panting, frantically at first, but soon feebly and after only a few seconds, went completely silent. I stepped over him, to where his fellows were scrambling too late to their feet, and did it again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

A good start, brother!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mzbundifund posted:

time well spent

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

No. 6 posted:

I'm in the game now. If you'd like to do White rat on Hard or more let me know. My Steam ID is No6

okay so you can get on steam and everything fine so its just this game and sometimes it works. That's really weird.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

No. 6 posted:

Thanks for the offer, me and a friend and two random pubbies (one of which was actually really good) managed to complete this on hard last night, helped by the fact that the rat ogre glitched out.

We then did Horn on nightmare and the pubbies insisted on two grimoires (with my curse trinket I suggested we only do one but they ignored that so it's their funeral) and we somehow succeeded.

We then failed smugglers run on nightmare twice before failing another level and just called it a night.

I unlocked an orange crossbow for the witchhunter, but I'm not that fussed. It doesn't 1 shot specials like the handgun, it doesn't fire as fast as the pistols or the bow, and it doesn't have as much ammo as basically anything (I think it has less than the handgun, 23 shots total).

Just don't see the reason to use it over the brace of pistols.

Also got a orange great sword for the Empire soldier with a 1% chance to kill any enemy but only on a charged attack so meh. The other two are increase attack speed occasionally and recover ammo.

What I desperately want is an orange greatsword with heal on kill again, I've got a green one that has a 10.5% chance to heal on kill but the orange sword is just so much more powerful I can't justify using the grew.

I also now have 4 trinkets, but one of then is 25% faster respawn which personally I think is a crock of poo poo because A) You should be trying not to die anyway and B) Your actual get-back-in-the-fight time is much more likely to be affected by how far away the dumb level decides to respawn you.

Since its emblem of the phoenix I'd either make it so that you start with more health when you're revived or respawned, or give like a 5% chance that when you die (not just go down) you stand back up with half health instead.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

My second trinket is +30% HP for when I'm down :yayclod:

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I have absolute tons of blue trinkets but still wear my 3 green ones because even the tiniest amount of chances for not using a potion up or healing everyone else for barely anything when I use a medkit are still more useful than 3 -40% damage from packmaster and 2 -40% damage from ratling guns trinkets, among others.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
See I've got a - 40% damage from gutter runner trinket but the way I see it is my party is good then I shouldn't really spend much time being stabbed in the face repeatedly anyway. Whereas my less health loss from grimoires trinket and my 2% chance to instakill stuff trinkets will be useful even with a good party.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
3/4 the orange items in this game suck and they are pretty rare as well, really feels like a grind once the novelty of the game has worn off and I just want to try a few interesting weapons but chances are I won't find them before becoming completely bored.

so I can use cheat engine to get a guaranteed orange every run but even doing so as said 3/4 the orange items suck so I am just clogging my inventory with a bunch of crap I won't use. hopefully the dlc has some crafting use for these and also items with 3 guaranteed useful perks which would be a nice change of pace from the garbage I am up to my elbows in. if I had played legitimately to get this many items I would be at like 200 hours by now and I have found like 2 or 3 things that are sorta decent lol what a joke.

it feels like a huge waste of time cause this item system is terrible and it was one of the initial selling points of the game to begin with and basically the only thing it would have over l4d. the actual rat killing gameplay is janky and the hits feel unsatisfying, l4d was a shooter but somehow still did melee better than a game entirely devoted to it so with the item system being a dud there is pretty much nothing here.

its a shame this game will last a while because of the item grind treadmill and continual drip of dlc while the one with better gameplay has been dead for years and if they ever make a l4d3 it would probably go a similar way unless they also put in a bunch of item grind level up crap to keep people's attention long term.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Turns out, if you keep block up when you hit E to revive someone - it'll actually keep blocking during the entire revive animation. The only thing that'll interrupt you is specials.
I fully expect them to patch that out at some point though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Regarding oranges being useless or clogging up your inventory it is a problem but other than cheaters and neckbeards with no life who played 500 hours of game play in the first month or something it's not a problem most people will even see. I've got a grand total of 5 orange items (1 trinket, 4 weapons) and yeah one of the weapons I really dislike (one handed axe for the dwarf) and the two for the Empire soldier I think are OK but ultimately what I really wanted was a two handed great sword with heal upon kill.

I suspect that this new altar in December is going to address that a bit. I guess if it was me I'd introduce a way to alter what your weapons do but very expensively. So you can change the ability or increase the chance of it triggering but you basically have to destroy a couple of similar weapons to do so.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mr. Unlucky posted:

it feels like a huge waste of time cause this item system is terrible and it was one of the initial selling points of the game to begin with and basically the only thing it would have over l4d. the actual rat killing gameplay is janky and the hits feel unsatisfying, l4d was a shooter but somehow still did melee better than a game entirely devoted to it so with the item system being a dud there is pretty much nothing here.

The melee in L4D2 was pressing left mouse and an indeterminate number of zombies somewhere in front of you would fall over. That was the system.

Are you thinking of a different game?

Kitchner posted:

I unlocked an orange crossbow for the witchhunter, but I'm not that fussed. It doesn't 1 shot specials like the handgun, it doesn't fire as fast as the pistols or the bow, and it doesn't have as much ammo as basically anything (I think it has less than the handgun, 23 shots total).

Just don't see the reason to use it over the brace of pistols.

With headshots it will instakill all specials and with bodyshots it will kill some of them, most importantly hook rats. Maybe this changes on cataclysm (I don't really plan on playing that mode so I don't care much how things perform on it) but it can do some seriously good work as a special deleter. It's very hard to use though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Gestalt Intellect posted:

With headshots it will instakill all specials and with bodyshots it will kill some of them, most importantly hook rats. Maybe this changes on cataclysm (I don't really plan on playing that mode so I don't care much how things perform on it) but it can do some seriously good work as a special deleter. It's very hard to use though.

This is sort of my point though. The handgun does this but even better because it's easier to use, carries slightly more ammo, and (as far as I know) doesn't have bullet drop.

Two of the five heroes can have the handgun, one of which has no other good options for ranged weapons (lol if you think I'm a soldier and I'll take the blunderbuss or the repeater handgun).

Maybe I'd use it if it was me, the wizard with a conflag staff, the dwarf with drakefires, and the soldier with the blunderbuss because he's an idiot or a newbie.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Honestly once you're all competent at meleeing rats without taking damage, the more people with special deleters the better I've found. Running dwarf and soldier both with handguns is absolutely amazing and makes everything so much easier as the specials are where the real stress comes from, but I've gone with a crossbow witch Hunter too and it was even better as we just basically never stopped as we didn't need to highlight something and wait for it to get shot, it'd just be gone already without a word from one of us.

Once everyone is just using charge attacks all the time instead of swinging wildly too, I found the brace of pistols and elf bows much less useful as you make an impenetrable wall of stunlocking and murdering with melee, why swap away from that. (except strength potion brace for Roger, but its not worth taking them purely for that)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Metos posted:

Honestly once you're all competent at meleeing rats without taking damage, the more people with special deleters the better I've found. Running dwarf and soldier both with handguns is absolutely amazing and makes everything so much easier as the specials are where the real stress comes from, but I've gone with a crossbow witch Hunter too and it was even better as we just basically never stopped as we didn't need to highlight something and wait for it to get shot, it'd just be gone already without a word from one of us.

Once everyone is just using charge attacks all the time instead of swinging wildly too, I found the brace of pistols and elf bows much less useful as you make an impenetrable wall of stunlocking and murdering with melee, why swap away from that. (except strength potion brace for Roger, but its not worth taking them purely for that)

I would say the brace IS worth it just for that, but the brace also lets you move through levels much faster, when hordes are NOT coming at you. This matters, as more time = more rats chipping away at your health.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Skandranon posted:

I would say the brace IS worth it just for that, but the brace also lets you move through levels much faster, when hordes are NOT coming at you. This matters, as more time = more rats chipping away at your health.

I find the brace is quite useful for being able to cheaply and easily shoot the few rats that get around the party's flanks before they attack, and like the Witch Hunter in general for flank watching.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

xthetenth posted:

I find the brace is quite useful for being able to cheaply and easily shoot the few rats that get around the party's flanks before they attack, and like the Witch Hunter in general for flank watching.

I could use some tips for how to use this guy. I've been running with a rapier and a crossbow because they're the highest-levelled things I have on me, both blue. I've gotten ok at not taking damage from random rats, but I'm not 100% clear on what is the best way to kill most efficiently. Should I be using charge attacks on normal rats when there are lots of them around, or is spamming light attacks the better way to go? Is there any use at all for the little pistol that comes with the rapier?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I recommend throwing bombs at roger near the bridge

The range on these hook rats is getting out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The range on these hook rats is getting out of hand.

I thought it was supposed to be impossible for an object of infinite length to have a starting point.

• Locked thread