Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

crowoutofcontext posted:

I also used to hear a lot about vast, arctic shipping trade routes opening up and international trading hubs being built when the "poles melt." Which don't really hold up to a few minutes of scrutiny.

Any of these supposed benefits would be counteracted by the fact that they built their buildings on what was supposed to be permafrost up there, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So apparently alot of Canadians are happy with the job JT is doing

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Northwest passage for shipping is real and will happen. You couldn't take a rotting fiberglass Albin Vega through it 25 years ago and expect to live, like Rutherford did a few years ago, and the US is greatly expanding terminal capacity at their Arctic oil sites in anticipation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Remember: the alot is better than you at everything ;)

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I see you guys recognized that soil quality has a big impact on agriculture and we can't just build farming bunkers to replace industrial agriculture. Whether we like it or not our food supply depends heavily on huge swathes of corn, soy, and wheat production that we can't replicate below ground or in poor soil.

Anyway:

Helsing posted:

I'll repost that article later and we can hash out your problems with it. Might be a better basis for the discussion than my ramblings.

I got this!

quote:

Untangling the #hashtagfail-lings of the NDP campaign
BY NORA LORETO | OCTOBER 28, 2015

There's been an awful lot written about the NDP's election performance, and the errors were so seemingly obvious, that most of the analysis coalesces around the same narrative: the party has swung too far to the right. That’s true, but it's only part of the story.

The NDP lost almost 30 per cent of the voter share they won in 2015 (almost 1 million votes). Anyone who was inspired to vote for the first time most likely voted Liberal: their vote share increased by 60 per cent, or just over 4 million votes. The Conservatives' vote remained stable and the Bloc vote decreased. Despite this, the Conservatives and the Bloc managed to significantly increase their support in Quebec.

Would a more left-wing NDP have been more successful?

Maybe, but this isn't the right question. In fact, this question is so theoretical that it leads progressive pundits into the territory of fantasy writing. The Left is already dangerously disconnected from average people: we need a better understanding of where the NDP is to be able to know what needs to happen to get the party to be "further left."

The NDP doesn't currently have the capacity to be much more progressive than they were during this election. Many of the folks who analyzed the failures of the NDP hung their theses on the assumption that being progressive is something that can be switched on and off at party HQ.

Progressive politics must be built, not announced. Systems were in motion for too long for the NDP to have been able to change course for this election.

The NDP didn't drift to the centre when it promised to balance the budget, or when it elected Mulcair as leader. As many have pointed out, the NDP's centrism is part of a decades-long slide that has ravished all aspects of the left, not just mainstream political parties.

The Liberals, as one of two governing parties in Ottawa, have the luxury to turn left or right at the whims of central command. They don't need to be in direct contact with their members. They can change their policies with the predictions of the pollsters and they won't be punished. In fact, they'll be lauded, if the gamble pays off.
The principal failure of the NDP was to form a strategy premised on the notion that they had this ability too. But they aren't the Liberals. They probably would have been skewered by the press if they had promised to run a $30 billion deficit.

It was the combination of a failure to communicate a progressive vision that was firm enough to convince Canadians that the NDP could beat Harper, and a failure of organizing between elections that sank the NDP.

Imagine if the NDP had organized its MPs to vocally oppose the Values Charter during the 2014 Quebec election. Imagine if they had allowed more of their MPs to intervene publicly on debates. Imagine if the party worked closer with social movement organizations and labour between 2011 and 2015 to build a relationship to withstand the fragility of poll-based politics.

Imagine if Angry Tom had made an appearance. Indeed, there is currency in a politician who is comfortable in his own skin, something that Mulcair didn't quite project during the 11-week campaign.

Where were the YouTube ad buys, the clever commercials and the risks that were taken in 2011? Why was the Pharmacare promise announced as if it were accidentally leaked by a backroom operative?

When the NDP announced it would run a balanced budget, where was the communications strategy addressing the resistance they should have anticipated? Who thought leading with announcing a balanced budget was a good idea? Was no one in the war room from Quebec who could have said "Um, guys, déficit zéro won't play super well among progressives in that province..."

Why didn't the party assume that the knives would come out for them from the mainstream press the second there was a whiff that the NDP might form government?

The NDP's communications strategy should have anticipated these problems. It should have been bold and creative. It should have taken risks. It should have been sensitive to sentiment on the ground and acted accordingly. Instead, it was as if party operatives figured that they could win the election by hiding under some coats and hope that no one noticed when the laundry was brought into the PMO by an unwitting caretaker.

The #hashtagfail of a communications strategy was a shame for many reasons. It cost the party many talented MPs, especially the young Quebecers who proved that mainstream politics in Canada don't have to be a game limited to old men. It helped the Liberals create the false narrative that their plan outflanked the NDP platform to the left even though it didn't by any measure.

(Of course, collateral damage from the failed ONDP campaign in 2014 helped fuel this narrative, but that could have been managed as well. At the very least, that should have been anticipated and addressed through the national strategy.)

It was also a shame because it failed to communicate that the NDP was offering a platform that was more progressive than their 2011 platform; that Canadians would see new, national programs built (eventually...the two-term requirement was another strategic fail), get help for childcare (unless you're in Quebec...another strategic fail) and have your minimum wage increased (if you worked among the lowest-paid in the federally regulated industries). The promises were by no means bold, but they were better than both the Liberals' promises and the previous election's NDP platform.

While some pundits have incorrectly conflated "the left" with the NDP, this election truly was a win for progressive politics. Average people wanted Harper stopped. Average people wanted change. And, even though the change they chose was represented by the corruption-plagued, neo-Liberal Party of Canada, things are instantly better for millions of Canadians. At the very least, millions of Canadians can breathe easier knowing that the governing party is no longer radically (and in some cases religiously) opposed to their existence.

This is little comfort for the thousands of NDP activists who donated 11 weeks of their lives to this loss, and I think any analysis of the failures of the NDP campaign has to recognize their good work. It's time for the NDP's central command to be re-connected with the campaign doorknockers, the phone bankers, campaign managers and candidates, their families and friends, their co-workers, sports teammates, members of their places of worship and neighbours.

Enough with the insularist politicking. Leave that game to the ones who invented it. If the NDP wants to be the party of the left, it really needs to start acting like one.

Like this article? rabble is reader-supported journalism. Chip in to keep stories like these coming.

Dreylad posted:

I don't know, for some reason the article never seems to quite put its finger on what the Left is and what the NDP Left should be. We all have our own views about what leftist politics and policies should be, and those can range from the more libertarian to the more statist, along with the complexities of identity politics. But the article emphasizes a failure to communicate what the NDP ought to stand for when you've pointed out that the party leadership very consciously set out its platform well in advance. Is the NDP a leftist party with poor communication skills, or is it masquerading as one and needs to be changed within. The answer could be both, but I don't feel the article really reaches that conclusion.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 29, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
No one's talked about the possibility of lab-synthesized meat. If I'm going to pick a futuristic thing in the field of food production to look toward, it'll be that one. If we didn't have to grow feed for livestock and we could still have all the delicious, wonderful meat that almost everyone loves, we'd need a lot less arable land, before we even discuss the amount of land that's taken up as pasture.

Being able to grow a steak in a lab would make "urban farming" look like quaint nonsense by comparison.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The sentence "The Left is already dangerously disconnected from average people" makes me irrationally angry. It's just so stupid!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

The sentence "The Left is already dangerously disconnected from average people" makes me irrationally angry. It's just so stupid!

Why? The average person is demonstrably a complete halfwit; surely you'd want your leadership to be disconnected from them?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

For a lot of us item #1 on the job description was: "Not Stephen Harper", and yes, he's doing a drat fine job of that.

Get back to me in 3.5 years on whether I might consider voting Liberal (again - God it's been a long time). It's not that mistakes will be made, those are inevitable. It's how this government will deal with them when they come to light. And we haven't yet seen how the Bay Street boy running Finance is going to balance off the interests of Canadians versus the interests of his colleagues.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wow, it really sounds like you're going into this with a totally open mind!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PT6A posted:

Why? The average person is demonstrably a complete halfwit; surely you'd want your leadership to be disconnected from them?

Yeah, that's true, but that's not what makes me angry. It assumes a default state for political leanings when the truth is that people have opinions all over the map. The average people the article refers don't really exist.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, that's true, but that's not what makes me angry. It assumes a default state for political leanings when the truth is that people have opinions all over the map. The average people the article refers don't really exist.

Not really. The average person tends towards being a skittish xenophobe ruled by gut feelings above reason, so, while outliers exist, I think it's pretty honest to say that the Average Canadian Dolt holds more views in common with the CPC than not, in a lot of respects.

In other news, apparently another mosque was vandalized, this time in Cold Lake :smith:

This. loving. Province.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Stretch Marx posted:

Part of my project is to create a more contained hydroponics rig that would maximize the amount of plants versus available space. I think my test bed rig design should be able to handle about 10 to 12 plants in a space that's 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and roughly 5 or so feet tall using LED lights.

Just make sure the system is customizable/modular enough to grow a pot plant beside your lettuce and tomatoes and it'll sell like hotcakes.

PT6A posted:

In other news, apparently another mosque was vandalized, this time in Cold Lake :smith:

This. loving. Province.

Buttfuck nowhere O&G and military town... Surprised they even have any Muslims up there.

I suspect the anti-muslim backlash is probably going to trail off in Canada without the CPC actively encouraging it. Get back to our Canadian roots of only being vocally racist towards natives and keep the other racism in hushed tones around the dinner table.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
In other lighter news, JT got dad's desk out of storage for his office to replace Harper's.

*Insert image of the ghost of Trudeau laughing over sad Harper here.*

Pretty boss desk. Made in 1880 and used by Wilfrid Laurier, Lester B. Pearson, Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

The Butcher posted:

Just make sure the system is customizable/modular enough to grow a pot plant beside your lettuce and tomatoes and it'll sell like hotcakes.

Making it currently out of PVC piping to make the modular part easier until I can work out the kinks. Also doing Twilight chilies as current exotic crop to see if they can take the system.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Butcher posted:

I suspect the anti-muslim backlash is probably going to trail off in Canada without the CPC actively encouraging it. Get back to our Canadian roots of only being vocally racist towards natives and keep the other racism in hushed tones around the dinner table.

I suspect the CPC hold on power conveniently paralled the rise of the Internet (and mutation of broadcast news) as a never-ending firehose of bigotry and bigot-reinforcement, and we will see no measurable changes to citizen psychology. Our governments stance matters less than what Joe Dick in Assdick, Alberta watches on his syndicated American CNN broadcast, or reads on stormfront tonight, while slamming brewskies.

The decline of discourse thanks to perceived digital anonymity is likely permanent, at least for current generations.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

The Butcher posted:

In other lighter news, JT got dad's desk out of storage for his office to replace Harper's.

*Insert image of the ghost of Trudeau laughing over sad Harper here.*

Pretty boss desk. Made in 1880 and used by Wilfrid Laurier, Lester B. Pearson, Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin.

lmao, that owns

also that's a really nice desk

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Rime posted:

I suspect the CPC hold on power conveniently paralled the rise of the Internet (and mutation of broadcast news) as a never-ending firehose of bigotry and bigot-reinforcement, and we will see no measurable changes to citizen psychology. Our governments stance matters less than what Joe Dick in Assdick, Alberta watches on his syndicated American CNN broadcast, or reads on stormfront tonight, while slamming brewskies.

The decline of discourse thanks to perceived digital anonymity is likely permanent, at least for current generations.

I disagree. People act like the internet suddenly sent out the bigot pulse that fried a lot of people's ethics. These people already existed in large numbers, they just didn't have the ability to communicate as easily or organize. The internet just made it easier for these idiots to find each other. But that also gives the benefit that:

A: People outting themselves as bigots has become increasingly easy and shaming them even easier.

B: Keeps them confined to their own little slivers of bigotworld that we can erect e-fences around and institute safari rules.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I disagree. Previously, bigots were relatively isolated as you say. By giving bigots anonymous outlets everywhere, they've readily discovered that there are in fact many others who share their bigoted attitudes. By allowing them this common ground, we now see things like the understanding that the comments on news articles are universally bad and not worth reading.

The Internet didn't spring this up out of nowhere, it's been a slow burn over the past decade that has been seeping more and more into public life. Because bad habits, like expressing bigoted as gently caress attitudes, don't stay exclusively online in the long term unless you are a sociopath. For most people, once they've subconsciously accepted the expression of such beliefs as acceptable, will lose the ability to filter it offline as well.

I cannot expand at any greater length right now, as my break is up here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure most bigots already figured out there were a lot of bigots all around them, too, well before the internet came around. You just didn't notice them as much because you were never in a position to observe them as often.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Stretch Marx posted:

Previously, bigots were relatively isolated as you say.

They'd speak exactly as they do know, if not more virulently down at Legion or hardware store.

Maybe you guys are too young to remember but open racism, sexism and homophobia were 'normal'.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

jfood posted:

They'd speak exactly as they do know, if not more virulently down at Legion or hardware store.

Maybe you guys are too young to remember but open racism, sexism and homophobia were 'normal'.

This.

My family got together a couple of months ago, and as soon as they all were inside it was nothing but bashing other races, religions, and spouting out poo poo about how much better the white race is than all the others by all the older generation.

Wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there myself.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

My family was all hilarious racist jokes at Christmas and other family gatherings until my generation started shaming our parents.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think it's true that there was a brief period in the late 90s/early 00s before internet use became common (at least among older, more bigoted generations) but after the accepted discourse shifted away from overt racism, sexism, homophobia, etc., the "PC movement" if you will. During this time, bigots who spoke too loudly would get shushed and shouted down by those around them, and then they found the internet and were able to be as bigoted as they want again and the moment passed. Those of us who are relatively young probably remember this period as how things were before the internet without realizing that before that brief "PC period" all that bigotry was normalized in society. That being said, though, that doesn't mean we should just accept the internet's enabling factor as the way things are simply because bigotry existed before. We should continue to strive to make things better.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
^ Quite accurate.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The Cold Lake mosque was vandalized once before, I think after Charlie Hebdo, and the community came together to clean it up, so I expect the same thing will happen again this time.

Both this, and the one in Peterborough, are lovely things to have happened, but I'm surprised and gladdened that these are the only two that we've heard of so far. I would have expected a few more acts of vandalism, to be honest, after Paris and the last election we had where anti-Muslim rhetoric was a loving debate plank.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Leofish posted:

The Cold Lake mosque was vandalized once before, I think after Charlie Hebdo, and the community came together to clean it up, so I expect the same thing will happen again this time.

It was after the Parliament Hill shooting last year. I hope these do remain isolated incidents going forward. I'm very uncomfortable with the way Trump has been talking. For me, I think one of the bigger effects the internet and general media expansion has had is that Canada is much more saturated with bigotry from other parts of the world than it used to be. Hearing a presidential candidate talk about registering all Muslims and making them wear ID cards, and knowing that there are probably hundreds of thousands of Canadians nodding along with him on Fox, has me somewhat worried about the discourse around things like multiculturalism going forward.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Sedge and Bee posted:

It was after the Parliament Hill shooting last year. I hope these do remain isolated incidents going forward. I'm very uncomfortable with the way Trump has been talking. For me, I think one of the bigger effects the internet and general media expansion has had is that Canada is much more saturated with bigotry from other parts of the world than it used to be. Hearing a presidential candidate talk about registering all Muslims and making them wear ID cards, and knowing that there are probably hundreds of thousands of Canadians nodding along with him on Fox, has me somewhat worried about the discourse around things like multiculturalism going forward.

The people in Canada who would be nodding along with Trump already believe multiculturalism has failed. The discourse is already there among the more right-leaning elements of our political scene.

I think you have a point that we're inundated with far more global media influence, especially of the American variety, thanks to the Internet. The web has also contributed to the fracturing of the media landscape. There was a lot more homogeneity among media consumers when there was less media to consume. Nowadays, you can find any "source" willing to give you the news with the spin you want it to have. There are thousands of people who have sworn off traditional media outlets, like the national newspapers or TV networks, in favour of their particular cocktail of independent websites and blogs.

This is not always entirely bad. Citizen journalism has its place, but I think the erosion of trust that the public has in traditional media also plays a role in what you describe.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
LMAO. "Grow food further north." Plants need specific levels of UV to grow, HTH.

peter banana fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 30, 2015

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

peter banana posted:

LMAO. "Grow food further north." Plants need specific levels of UV to grow, HTH.

obviously we just burn some holes in the ozone

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

jsoh posted:

obviously we just burn some holes in the ozone

Good thing we know how to do that real quick! Too bad about the skin cancer though.

Re: Bigot chat, I think that shaming is exceedingly poor tactic for effectively reducing lovely views, because it now far too easy to retreat to regions of the internet free of that shaming and continue to hold whatever bad position you have. This is worsened by this idea that "the other side can't be reasoned with and thus it is not worthwhile to engage with them beyond telling them they are awful and using whatever systems you have at hand to suppress this awfulness", because it perpetuates a lazy ideology where you are no longer necessary to consider why your position is righteous enough to do this, as you are never in a position where someone both disagrees with you and you are obliged to respond to their arguments. At best you might write some lovely bullet point article about how mansplaining/sjws is/are bad which can then be linked en-masse as support for whichever position someone holds. Twitter is the worst for this and invites this sort of behaviour by inherently limiting the ability to articulate arguments well.

There are absolutely people who will hold a bad position regardless of argumentation, but that should not mean the best way to address this is to try to ensure they cannot say their ideas, because that at best is unrealistic, and at worse works against you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So side note: Ministers McCallum, Philpott and Sajjan visited a refugee camp in Jordan where the first refugee Centre will be set up. So that's good right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I just had to deal with the CRA for some small questions about my tax return, and I don't understand why they get such a bad rap. They were exceedingly helpful and pleasant -- far more than the average "businessperson" I have to deal with -- and my issue was resolved quickly with minimal waiting on hold.

Maybe the government actually should run more things...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

So side note: Ministers McCallum, Philpott and Sajjan visited a refugee camp in Jordan where the first refugee Centre will be set up. So that's good right?

That happened yesterday, correct? I saw a notice on twitter, but everyone seemed to be ignoring it for the most part (racist Twitter trolls and media alike).

I'm impressed that helping refugees seems to be an actual priority for this government, like it's a thing they want to accomplish rather than something they simply have to get over with.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

PT6A posted:

Wow, it really sounds like you're going into this with a totally open mind!

What, admitting that I voted Liberal back in the dim, dark past, or that I might actually consider voting for them again if they can establish a record other than "Putting Things Back the Way They Were"? (Despite the time and money I've thrown at the NDP over the last couple of years.)

Or is it that I fundamentally distrust the 1%, after years of watching the interlocking directorships of the CD Howe & Fraser Institutes, CFIB, and CTF banging the neoliberal mythology austerity drums very effectively?

According to one story junkers are more likely to stop at occupied crosswalks than luxury cars. We'll see if our new Finance minister brakes for commoners or not.

Don't get me wrong - I'm thoroughly enjoying this government's performance so far. My elderly aunt was a Conservative party worker and the :qq: about "I know they wanted change but this is too much!" is delicious. I am a bad person.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

PT6A posted:

I just had to deal with the CRA for some small questions about my tax return, and I don't understand why they get such a bad rap. They were exceedingly helpful and pleasant -- far more than the average "businessperson" I have to deal with -- and my issue was resolved quickly with minimal waiting on hold.

I have to call them about once a week for my job, and the only real problems I have with them is that their business inquiries phone number is busy half the time. I remember reading it was from cutbacks, but other than that, it's usually smooth sailing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Aces High posted:

but isn't Alberta known for having lovely OHS in general? I seem to recall an assembly in high school talking about worker's rights and somewhere in there I think I remember hearing that our safety standards are pretty poo poo in comparison to the rest of Canada.

Incidentally I brought up the whole "it is making farmers pay their workers living wages and WCB" and my dad said "did the applicants for the TFW program have WCB back home?" to which I was very close to saying "dad there is actually a alight difference between 'playing Devil's advocate' and sounding loving retarded and you just demonstrated that". Speaking of "things we can't do on the family farm anymore because of Bill 6" I heard on CBC this afternoon that this will affect 4H, so as someone born and raised in the city what the gently caress do kids DO in 4H?

4H is pretty much an after-school learning how to raise livestock club. I have no idea how workplace rules would affect 4H, my cousin who now runs the family farm was in 4H all throughout high school(in Manitoba). I think people are just fearmongering this like they do with everything.

PT6A posted:

When I turned 18 and started filing my own tax returns I was audited for 5 straight years and that was annoying, that's about all the bad I have on the CRA.

Bonus Manitoba Politics:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/Manitoba-sees-one-of-the-lowest-productivity-gains-in-the-country-in-2014-358856901.html

Manitoba NDP: Steady Growth, Good Jobs :thumbsup:

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, people in my industry have to deal with Natural Resources Canada for our certifications. They regularly lose paperwork and have turnarounds that approach double what they say the maximum response time should be for various things. This occasionally leads to things like scheduling an exam at a special testing centre (read: local library) for a specific date well in advance of the deadline only to not hear back until after the date has passed by. Then you get to try to schedule for a new date and hope they get back to you in time. Naturally, this leads to less than happy library staff (who generally have to be scheduled for after-hours for this sort of thing) and exam takers.

To be fair to NRCan though, apparently most of these issues got a lot worse back when they moved their main operations from Ottawa to Hamilton. They supposedly lost a lot of their staff during the move, along with some budget cuts in recent years making them lose even more. This is all stuff I've heard word of mouth from people that are either in my industry or instructors who regularly deal with them as part of getting people certified as I haven't been involved that long. I do know that it is absolutely miserable trying to get any information from them about what is happening though.

It makes me sad that one of the biggest problems with the government is that we occasionally have people in charge of it that cut funding to government programs so they can later say "look at how bad these programs are!" without any irony at all.

Xyretire fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 30, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Most government agencies are staffed by people who want to put in an honest effort. In the case of the CRA, and the US version the IRS, unless you're actively trying to avoid paying your taxes its surprising just how downright fair they can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

In my opinion they mostly get a bad rap from American anti-IRS sentiment moving across the border thanks to American dominance of our culture. We consume so much media telling us that the IRS is awful that we assume the Canadian version must be just as bad as the fictionalized version of the IRS that American media has created (it should be noted that the IRS is also much better than its reputation, though its situation re: budget cuts is far, far worse than the CRA's and budget cuts are responsible for a large part of bad service you get at these places).