Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M for Mushroom
Jan 1, 2006

new york london paris munich
That was a fantastic episode, the first I've actually properly enjoyed for some considerable time (well, barring the last two seconds anyway).

I also loved the Beethoven's 7th vibe from the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TL posted:

They've used footage of McGann and Eric Roberts on the show, if they want to go there they absolutely can.

They can use them because they're playing BBC created characters, but I'm not sure about anything else from the TVM. Example, BF can't use Grace or Chang Lee.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

They can use them because they're playing BBC created characters, but I'm not sure about anything else from the TVM. Example, BF can't use Grace or Chang Lee.

There's a lot of things Big Finish couldn't do...yet they always seem to find a way, eventually. :allears:

Big Finish is one hell of a bird!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

True, but why the hell would you want to?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This episode did make me think of Smith's Doctor quite a bit at times. The lonesome monologues, the mentally mourning over a lost companion. Especially if you look at Twelve's relationship with Clara, "she cares so I don't have to", etc. At one point she told him to gently caress off forever, and after the cafe scene they easily could have parted forever. It was only finally when he learned that Danny didn't come back where he seemed to support her.

And yeah, knowing the twist going in, and what was said at the end of Raven about luring him on with a mystery, I figured this was Gallifrey's Pandorica, a last ditch effort to protect themselves from The Doctor by exploiting the known quirks about him. The whole place is designed to counter his penchant for secrecy and lying, and the way out requires repeatedly sacrificing yourself, which is not exactly his bag given how much he red-shirts random humans for his cause and (particularly after the Time War was added to the franchise) has a habit of running away in situations where he might no-poo poo actually die forever.

It's a bold choice anyhow to do an entire episode where the TARDIS is gone entirely except in a superficial dream world sense.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 29, 2015

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
That was loving awesome

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Craptacular! posted:

the way out requires repeatedly sacrificing yourself, which is not exactly his bag

I think this happens more often than you're implying

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Astroman posted:

There's a lot of things Big Finish couldn't do...yet they always seem to find a way, eventually. :allears:

Big Finish is one hell of a bird!

Still no Dodo. :colbert:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

In the behind the scenes videos Mofffat clarifies that the entire episode is a fictional construct inside the Doctor's own confession dial.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

drat, that was a mighty fine episode. Mighty fine episode indeed.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

PriorMarcus posted:

In the behind the scenes videos Mofffat clarifies that the entire episode is a fictional construct inside the Doctor's own confession dial.

Don't worry, kids! The Doctor didn't really die! It just felt like he did. Billions upon billions of times. In unimaginable agony. After being chased for days on end by a thing from his darkest nightmares.

Sleep tight now.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the doctor is a strong willed man who after billions of years of agony and torture isn't just a raving mass of crazy, kids!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

LividLiquid posted:

I mean, TVIV.txt and all, but GOOD GOD, a lot of you intake media the wrong way.

I mean, maybe it's working in (lovely) film off and on since 2001, but so many people focus on exactly the wrong things.

Real life science has absolutely nothing to do with narrative science. When a show tell you something, then pays off another thing based on what it told you, there is ZERO REASON to apply actual physics to, say, the gravity shift of two million years of dead skulls.

I understand. I really do. I, too, used to try to be more clever than the things I watched. I wanted so badly to be smarter than the writers who told me stories. But eventually, I realized that I was just the guy at the magic show folding his arms smugly and turning to everybody around me going, "You all know magic isn't real, right?" Pro wrestling has this subset of fans, too.

Yeah, dude. We all know it's fake. You're the only one acting like we don't all already know it isn't real.

Television and movies operate on their own set of rules, and they change almost every episode. If we're told something is important in the first act, and it's contradicted by actual science, or something said over 45 years ago on the same show, try to forget that. The thing said in the first act is all that matters.

There's just one problem. Doctor Who practically invites the audience to play along and do stuff like this. It makes a season-long arc out of randomly repeating words and trying to have the audience notice it. People have looked at what outfits the Doctor is wearing and came up with a probably correct theory about the whole season being out of order despite the show not pointing the stuff out plainly. Are they doing it wrong? Its pretty clear that the staff making the show put these things there for people to notice, if only on repeat viewing. So would all of those skulls have done something? Probably not. But what if he had woken up on an asteroid solely made of stuff that slowly got drawn in by the disk over a billion years. People'd be slapping themselves on the head going, "I should have thought of the skulls", while others said "I knew those skulls would mean something." Like you, yourself, said, sometimes we are told stuff is important and should pay attention to it, sometimes we aren't. Those skulls cropped up again and again throughout the episode, and not just the one by the teleporter either.

Furthermore, enjoy this related skull spergery. Its interesting, he uses his body as the fuel to regenerate himself, but not all of it as the skull remains (and other parts turn to ash.) So he's using less energy/matter than he is creating. In essence Time Lord cloning machines would make excellent power plants. You could say that he was drawing in outside air or whatever or the will was solar powered or some other sort of bullshit. I'm honestly fine with it, not getting the time loop until the Doctor pointed it out I didn't think of the conservation of skulls until after the episode was over. I was a little surprised though, when the montage started and the sea-floor full of skulls was shown I thought "oh, thats going to rise above the water eventually, neat," but it never did. Presumably because the Doctor would be unable to jump out of the window after that point. I wonder if that was in the original script but cut to preserve the loop without him randomly jumping to his death halfway through.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Sperging about science when watching doctor who is stupid

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
also not to get drawn into this lame rear end conversation, the doctor points out that the teleporter is like a 3d printer, meaning it requires matter or energy. So nothing new has been added to the system.

also the sea bottom does not reset, so why should the diamond room either. I know this show attracts spergs but come on, think a little

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Attitude Indicator posted:

the doctor is a strong willed man who after billions of years of agony and torture isn't just a raving mass of crazy, kids!

From the Doctor's point of view he only had to go through the castle one time

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

cargohills posted:

Sperging about science when watching doctor who is stupid

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

From the Doctor's point of view he only had to go through the castle one time

he specifically states that he remembers it all when in the "tardis" for the last time, so who knows

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've been thinking about what makes this episode so good and other recent Moffat episodes so bad. I think a big part of it is the lack of comedy in this episode. Moffat is not good at comedy, at all. A lot (but by no means all) of his really lovely stuff is when he's trying to be all wacky and whimsical, or have characters exchange witty banter.

Scary puzzle mystery is exactly what Moffat is good at, and I had kind of forgotten that, it has been so long since he's done a good one.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

nah, it's because it's a more focused and confined episode. he's good with those. Blink, the 11th hour, Listen etc.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I really don't understand what the complaint is. The diamond room didn't reset because the whole point of that room and the Doctor's narrative fable is that they want him to explicitly see he's trapped in this nightmare over and over again, expecting him to give up and reveal his final secret. If the room didn't reset, there's be no reason for the Doctor to feel those overwhelming odds of facing billions of years. The point is to make him feel that he's lost and that there's no alternative but to give up the final secret.

Instead, the Doctor decides to be stubborn and power through a few billion years because gently caress you that's why.

It's internally consistent with the whole point of the place.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

why was the doctor so adamant about not revealing information about the hybrid anyway? and how did the time lords know he had more info than their prophecy?
did i not pay attention (likely) or has it not been answered?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Murderion posted:

Don't worry, kids! The Doctor didn't really die! It just felt like he did. Billions upon billions of times. In unimaginable agony. After being chased for days on end by a thing from his darkest nightmares.

Sleep tight now.

Except when he first used a teleporter.

Along with everyone else who's ever teleported but...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Great Rassilon's Ghost, that was so freaking good!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
This episode is Cobi approved.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The skulls were literally Peter's. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Attitude Indicator posted:

he specifically states that he remembers it all when in the "tardis" for the last time, so who knows

I believe (could definitely be wrong) that he says he remembers how it feels, and that he's speaking about the pain of death. I don't think he remembers all those other times he went through (I mean really, the same thing happens every time so I guess technically he does!) but when everything finally clicks for him at the end of each cycle he remembers the pain of death (a thing he talks about at the start of the episode as something nobody will ever remember), and knows if he doesn't give up, he is sentencing himself to experience that pain again and again and again and again stretching out over billions of years. And then he doesn't give up, because he's the Doctor so gently caress you :hellyeah:

"I'm not scared of hell, it's just heaven for bad people."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

That's awesome!

Take away the ending of this and it'd be a Twilight Zone episode almost, a guy infinitely repeating the same set of events. That probably IS a Twilight Zone episode.

Upon rewatching: Doctor crawling to his death was heartbreaking, as was "can't I just lose, it would be so easy" with full knowledge of what he meant, I love the episode's funereal music more every time I hear it, "that's a hell of a bird!" is the perfect release of tension that's pitched exactly to make me laugh and clap my hands.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Just rewatched Day of the Doctor while waiting for a very late pizza delivery, which allowed me to get something I didn't notice at all before.

He tells the kid at the end of Heaven Sent to tell the others that he came the long way round. At the end of Day of the Doctor, when he's narrating over the shot of all 13 of them looking at Gallifrey, he says he's going home - the long way round.

Seeing as how Day of the Doctor sets up that he's looking for Gallifrey, and he's now standing on it, it's probably not coincidence.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

PriorMarcus posted:

This actually doesn't surprise me at all, I suspected that they wouldn't want to pull the trigger on the ongoing Doctor being a semi-duplicate of the original.

I like that Dr. Who can give us :effort: CGI and cheesy rubber suits at times, and other times they decide to copy an actor's face for a skull prop because why the hell not.

If they ever cancel Dr. Who and want to go out with the Doctor dying, there's certainly room for him to do all kinds of crazy heroics while mortally wounded now that they've shown him living for a day and a half after getting all burned up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Even retroactively helps explain Ten's farewell tour.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

If they ever cancel Dr. Who and want to go out with the Doctor dying, there's certainly room for him to do all kinds of crazy heroics while mortally wounded now that they've shown him living for a day and a half after getting all burned up.

That certainly sounds interesting I wonder if they'll *stares at Peter* ever look into *Stares at Peter* doing something like that *Stares at Peter* in Doctor Who.

Do you think it would be alright to kiss Peter?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Dabir posted:

Even retroactively helps explain Ten's farewell tour.

Yeah, there's been a fair number of times where he's hanging on for awhile in bad shape before regenerating, so now that's covered as well.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, there's been a fair number of times where he's hanging on for awhile in bad shape before regenerating, so now that's covered as well.

One could argue that War Doctor is basically hanging around the entirety of Day of the Doctor when you consider how quickly he regenerates after returning to his TARDIS.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What are the time frames on Doctor 1 and 3 dying? If I remember right, 3 floated around poisoned for quite a while, and 1, well any number of things could have led to his batteries finally running out.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm pretty sure One just died from being too old

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Oh I know, but if I remember right he had some pretty traumatic events happen to him in recent serials when the time came.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the 7th doctor was literally declared dead and showed in the morgue.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Oh I know, but if I remember right he had some pretty traumatic events happen to him in recent serials when the time came.

Mondas was draining energy from Earth somehow at the time so he could well have been affected by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think that is what I was thinking, as the Smugglers doesn't seem quite so traumatic looking at the summary now.

• Locked thread