Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Finished assembly well enough to ensure I didn't do any major screw ups so I fired it up with just the SSD to install the OS/set it all up before I installed all the other hdd finish and wiring it up.

:holymoley: is this thing quiet, even with the covers off and a mild overclock. As in, stone dead silent. Chassis fans, 980Ti, and Nepton all together. I am really curious to push this thing and see how load it gets at worst case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Does thermal compound get crappy over time?

When I built my old 2500k box back in 2011 I equipped it with a Antec Kuhler 620. I'm not giving that system to my wife and I am taking it apart and cleaning out all the dust and everything. I'm thinking of pulling the block, cleaning it all up and reinstalling it with the arctic silver I have left over from my last system build.

Worthwhile to do or stupid waste of time? I probably won't be overclocking it for her, just want it to be super reliable going forward as she'll probably be using it for another 3+ years.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It can dry out but if temps are fine just leave it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hi! I'm making a build that will feature a 6600K in a ThermalTake Core V1, and I'm trying to figure out my air-cooling options.

The maximum available cooler height is 145mm. In that segment, I have basically two choices:

• Top-down coolers, with the Noctua NH-C14S being the most prominent candidate. The problems are, first, they're almost as expensive as a decent AIO cooler. Second, the Core V1 is closed on top, so a top-down cooler would not be pointed at an intake, but at a clear plastic pane with only a few millimeters clearance. Even with additional case fans providing plenty of horizonatal flow, I imagine this would significantly degrade the cooler's performance - am I correct? I could switch the Core V1's sides to have a partial intake on top, but that would be ugly and I'd rather avoid it if possible.

• A few smaller models of front-back tower coolers, since the vast majority are 150mm and up. These tend to perform worse than other options, but they're cheap. The two models I am eyeing are the Cryorig H7 (which is confirmed to fit in the case, although just barely), and the Zalman 9700, which is 3mm shorter than the H7. Here the thing I want to ask is, which of two is the better cooler? Unfortunately the 9700 is a fairly older model, so I haven't found any reviews that compared them both. I'm also accepting alternative suggestions (skip the Noctua NH-U9S though, it appears to be an inferior choice in every way).

Another thing - I have two motherboard choices to pick from: the Asus Z70I Pro Gaming, and the Gigabyte Z170N-WiFi. I'd rather go with the Gigabyte, since it has several features I prefer (mainly 6x SATA connectors), while the Asus is 40€ more expensive and its only tempting feature is improved audio (SupremeFX over vanilla ALC1150). Also the Gigabyte doesn't look as gaudy.

But I'm a little concerned about overclocking support - the Gigabyte is still a Z170 mobo so it should be designed to OC, but there are exactly zero reviews of that board out there. Someone points out that the Gigabyte only has a 4-pin CPU power connector, as opposed to the 8 pins of more l33t models, which is supposed to be a problem for voltage stability. Is that likely to be an issue? (I will have a quality PSU in the build, probably a XFX XTR 650.)

Thanks a lot.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 28, 2015

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Can anyone give me some advice on if it would be viable/a good idea to try to overclock my system as it is? I'm the kinda guy who likes to get in the graphics settings of a game and turn everything to max/ultra and (ideally) forget about it. A friend of mine picked out and built most of my system for me a while back, and these days I think I'm hitting the cusp where my current system can no longer do that with every new game so I was curious to know if maybe I can eek out a little more time with my current system.

Specs are:
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
CPU - Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz
GPU - Nvidia GTX 760
PSU - Corsair TX 850W ATX12v
RAM - 16GB

Not sure if these matter as much
Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540
Drive - Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB

I have one extra fan (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) that's installed over the CPU.
If there's something else important I should list just let me know.

I don't know much about overclocking or pc hardware type stuff but I'd be willing to figure some stuff out if I can just get a general idea on what my system can do.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
You can't really overclock with that system but you could get a more powerful videocard than the 760 and that would make a noticeable difference.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

AtillatheBum posted:

Can anyone give me some advice on if it would be viable/a good idea to try to overclock my system as it is? I'm the kinda guy who likes to get in the graphics settings of a game and turn everything to max/ultra and (ideally) forget about it. A friend of mine picked out and built most of my system for me a while back, and these days I think I'm hitting the cusp where my current system can no longer do that with every new game so I was curious to know if maybe I can eek out a little more time with my current system.

Specs are:
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
CPU - Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz
GPU - Nvidia GTX 760
PSU - Corsair TX 850W ATX12v
RAM - 16GB

Not sure if these matter as much
Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540
Drive - Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB

I have one extra fan (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) that's installed over the CPU.
If there's something else important I should list just let me know.

I don't know much about overclocking or pc hardware type stuff but I'd be willing to figure some stuff out if I can just get a general idea on what my system can do.

Unfortunately, unless your cpu has a "K" suffix on the model number, it's not really overclockable.

If you're serious about overclocking, now would be a good time to buy a 4690K, since retailers are getting rid of them as Intel moves to a new architecture. I saw Fry's advertising them for 169$ yesterday, and you could probably get at least $100-$120 for your current processor.

I'm getting a stable 4.4ghz on mine with a 212Evo cooler, so there's performance to be had.

Or go with a 4790K, they Turbo up to 4.4 stock, so all you have to do is check "max turbo on all cores" and you're running 4.4 without dicking with clocks and voltages. Considerably more $$$, though.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I would like to try my hand at overclocking my system:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

I found this guide, which is a little old. Is this a good guide? If not, is there a better one out there?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/3

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Looks alright to me. I used that same site to overclock my MSI board. There was also a 100 page thread on overclockers.net dedicated to OCing with my board so maybe look around over there if you run into problems.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm finally moving from my i7 920 to a 6700k and I'm getting up to speed on OCing this architecture (I know about the whole 5820k thing, I settled on skylake). I'm still reading up on the new settings but there are two things I haven't been able to pin down yet...

Is IHS lapping still a thing? I understand that lapping a good waterblock is A Bad Thing since they're made to handle the concave IHS, but if I'm trying to min-max my thermal limits, will I hurt anything by lapping the IHS down to copper?

I'm aiming for 4x8gb memory, but I was considering starting off with 2x8gb sticks and then buying 2x8gb more when I feel like it. If I buy identical sets (same mfr, CAS latency, everything) will it cause trouble with any memory OCing? I'm buying 3200 speed and I'll see if I can push it further. I remember when I was OCing my 920 that there was a lot of worry about different batches of the same memory causing problems so people would sell everything and purchase matched sticks if they wanted to upgrade.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm finally moving from my i7 920 to a 6700k and I'm getting up to speed on OCing this architecture (I know about the whole 5820k thing, I settled on skylake). I'm still reading up on the new settings but there are two things I haven't been able to pin down yet...

Is IHS lapping still a thing? I understand that lapping a good waterblock is A Bad Thing since they're made to handle the concave IHS, but if I'm trying to min-max my thermal limits, will I hurt anything by lapping the IHS down to copper?

I'm aiming for 4x8gb memory, but I was considering starting off with 2x8gb sticks and then buying 2x8gb more when I feel like it. If I buy identical sets (same mfr, CAS latency, everything) will it cause trouble with any memory OCing? I'm buying 3200 speed and I'll see if I can push it further. I remember when I was OCing my 920 that there was a lot of worry about different batches of the same memory causing problems so people would sell everything and purchase matched sticks if they wanted to upgrade.

I wouldn't advise lapping the IHS; there really isn't anything to be gained by lapping off the nickel plating and going down to bare copper opens you up to the increased risk of oxidation if there's a part of the copper left exposed or a galvanic reaction if you use an aluminum heatsink.

If you really want to min/max your OC then you'd be much better served by delidding your chip and replacing the default Intel goop with some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra.

On the memory front I'd defiantly suggest starting with 16gb and moving to 32gb later; DDR4 RAM will only get cheaper.

As for overclocking your memory it's only really worth it if you plan on using the integrated graphics. Otherwise, you might see some synthetic benchmarks go up a few points but there's really no benefit to anything you'd actually do day-to-day.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Krailor posted:

I wouldn't advise lapping the IHS; there really isn't anything to be gained by lapping off the nickel plating and going down to bare copper opens you up to the increased risk of oxidation if there's a part of the copper left exposed or a galvanic reaction if you use an aluminum heatsink.

If you really want to min/max your OC then you'd be much better served by delidding your chip and replacing the default Intel goop with some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra.

On the memory front I'd defiantly suggest starting with 16gb and moving to 32gb later; DDR4 RAM will only get cheaper.

As for overclocking your memory it's only really worth it if you plan on using the integrated graphics. Otherwise, you might see some synthetic benchmarks go up a few points but there's really no benefit to anything you'd actually do day-to-day.

Good info, thanks. I'm definitely planning on delidding as soon as my chip arrives. I'm too afraid to do it myself so I'm probably going to try mailing it to silicon lottery and having them do it. There's a cool delidding tool some guy over on the overclock forums made, but it's over $100 shipped so it doesn't seem worth it. I was thinking about buying one then doing some kind of round robin on sa-mart but I doubt it'll be in demand.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Good info, thanks. I'm definitely planning on delidding as soon as my chip arrives. I'm too afraid to do it myself so I'm probably going to try mailing it to silicon lottery and having them do it. There's a cool delidding tool some guy over on the overclock forums made, but it's over $100 shipped so it doesn't seem worth it. I was thinking about buying one then doing some kind of round robin on sa-mart but I doubt it'll be in demand.

If you want to try a way thats 100% safe, ive seen people use a heatgun and a thin plastic card.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

Don't want to poo poo on your project or anything but 6700K's are pretty bad overclockers and with normal non-competition world champion oc gear the best you can hope for is around 4.8ghz stable long term and you will have no excess heat problem whatsoever with a 50$+ cooling system, delidding will give you no benefit except the displayed core temps will be like 5c lower on a cpu that never exceeds 70 even under heavy oc and the fact that you want to pay 1/8 of the drat cpu cost to do it is why I felt I should warn you about this. Skylake is not like i7-920's, they're 14nm, they produce very little heat but don't like high voltages (that is if you want to keep that cpu a long time) I guess what I'm saying is don't delid for no gains and use those 50$ or whatever to get 16+gb of ram because speccing any kind of setup with 8gb in 2015 is just ridiculous.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

So some dude managed to overclock a Skylake i3 using a motherboard mod. Using just air cooling LN2 but only at 4.68GHz he managed to demolish dual core benchmark world records (going up against LN2 cooled Lynnfield at like 6.5Ghz). Pretty cool. If someone manages an easier way of doing this (currently requires soldering), the i3 6100 could clean up the budget market even more than it already does.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 2, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

So some dude managed to overclock a Skylake i3 using a motherboard mod. Using just air cooling LN2 but only at 4.68GHz he managed to demolish dual core benchmark world records (going up against LN2 cooled Lynnfield at like 6.5Ghz). Pretty cool. If someone manages an easier way of doing this (currently requires soldering), the i3 6100 could clean up the budget market even more than it already does.

That dude's got most of hwbot's world records for massively parallel computation with dozens of different Xeons in multi-CPU configurations and stuff. He's gotten a 4770K to 6.8 GHz on LN2 and a Celeron 352 to just past 8 GHz on LN2.

It does not surprise me at all that he figured out what to solder to unlock BCLK on Skylake, nor would it surprise me if he spent a ridiculous amount of money on boards to burn through to figure it out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

That dude's got most of hwbot's world records for massively parallel computation with dozens of different Xeons in multi-CPU configurations and stuff. He's gotten a 4770K to 6.8 GHz on LN2 and a Celeron 352 to just past 8 GHz on LN2.

spent a ridiculous amount of money on boards to burn through to figure it out.

Prob gets free parts if hes that well known

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
What kinda stable vcores are people getting with 6600ks?

I was suprised how low vcore i could set to run stable at 4.4ghz, i went as low as 1.180V without having any apparent issues when running test programs, 4.5ghz on the other hand gave bluescreens at least up to 1.210V.

I'm running currently at 4.4ghz with 1.200V adaptive vcore, it jumps to 1.240V at max usage with adaptive, i probably could drop it even further but not sure if it would drop the temperature under load that much, every test around 1.180-1.240 with intelburntest would have the temperatures average 50c with a jump to 60c sometimes(maybe this is due to the cooler speeds)

I'm using a 212 hyper evo and MSI z170 Krait mobo.

Basically, im just wondering if its worth it to find the lowest stable vcore to have the cpu run cooler when overclocking.

Delerion fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 3, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I just had a really strange issue happen with my new build. I'm probably going to just chalk it up to as a one-off occurance, but I am curious if there might be something underlying here.

Basic specs:

Gigabyte Windforce 980ti
6700K Asus Z170A
Nepton 240M

Here is what happened. I had my computer on for about an hour or so this am and started Steam because I was going to play something. In the background I had a browser and a couple other low overhead programs.

Steam turned on and I could hear my waterpump on the Nepton turn up and I didn't think much of it, but then after a few seconds I started hearing all the fans going full blast in the case (video card in particular is loud when at 100%). I still didn't think much of it, but then it dawned on me after it didn't turn off for a couple minutes. I went into CPUID HWmonitor and saw my CPU cores were 94C+. This system typically idles at 17-24C for the cores and no more than 55-60 under load, even when running benchmarks (at least I think that's what it did). I forgot to look at GPU temps when I was there but I am sure it was high as the fans were blowing 100% by the sounds of it.

Went into task manager and saw Steam was taking something like 12%, everything else was negligible.

Closed all the programs, turned off the system went into BIOS and turned the max OC down to 42x from the build in oclock default of 46. I'm not entirely convinced that had anything to do with it though.

Any ideas why a non punishing app like Steam would cause a system to go into full tilt overheat? After the reboot, started up all my apps and steam and took a snip of HW monitor which is typical to expect with this system... although now that I look CORE1 is about 15C higher than the rest of them.

Should I take the CPU water block off and re-thermal it? I used Arctic Silver with the build but I still have the full tube of the included stuff that came with the Cooler master Nepton.

To be clear, I am not a terribly experienced overclocker, I let the built in Asus system make all the setting changes other than how I overrode it down to 42x right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Waterblock not seated or failing pump or clogged tubing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think I might reseat it but I just ran Firestrike and this is the result:

Notice the CPU peaked at 61C :wtc:

If it was an issue with seating/bad thermal, you think it would repeat wouldn't you?

Also, as a side, is the included Coolermaster thermal compound pretty good?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I remember one time for a new build, I couldn't finish a POST due to a CPU temperature warning. Checking my cooler, I discovered that I had forgotten to remove the very thin clear plastic packaging sheet off of the business end of the waterblock. :downs:

Just throwing that out there if you didn't check.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh yeah, I absolutely did take that off on the build thanks!

I guess my question is why have I been able to run torture tests no problem at all, CPU maxing at @ 4.6Ghz 61C (as above, I think that's a reasonable temp?) but for some bizarre reason when the PC seemingly is doing nothing the CPU skyrocketed. I almost wonder if the sensors got garbled or something somehow?

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

slidebite posted:

Oh yeah, I absolutely did take that off on the build thanks!

I guess my question is why have I been able to run torture tests no problem at all, CPU maxing at @ 4.6Ghz 61C (as above, I think that's a reasonable temp?) but for some bizarre reason when the PC seemingly is doing nothing the CPU skyrocketed. I almost wonder if the sensors got garbled or something somehow?
Yes I personally think it was more likely a matter of you seeing an inaccurate temperature reading for one reason or another. Rather than it actually getting that hot just that one time. If you're running stress tests torture tests and you can't get it higher than 60s (which yes is very reasonable) and only one time you only briefly saw a temperature of 94 that just seems so weird that my gut says it was simply inaccurate. Since it is doing fine with torture tests at this point in terms of both stability and temps, I personally would just forget about it unless/until you have any other issues or instability.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah I think I will let it be for the time being. Thanks

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm about to overclock a 6600k tomorrow and get back into the OC game a bit. Last CPU I spent a lot of time on was the 4670k, where I primarily tweaked vrin, vcore, cache voltage along with many variations of uncore and core multiplier. It was a lot of tweaking, although fun.

This time around I'm doing so in a ... RVZ02 with a dinky little cooler (AR06). I don't expect a lot, but has the OC process changed much with Skylake?

slidebite posted:

I think I might reseat it but I just ran Firestrike and this is the result:

Notice the CPU peaked at 61C :wtc:

If it was an issue with seating/bad thermal, you think it would repeat wouldn't you?

Also, as a side, is the included Coolermaster thermal compound pretty good?

Run http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html

I'm interested to know what you get especially at (what seems to me) to be a whopping 1.423 vcore. 61*C is practically running cold, but I'm not sure firestrike is a great cpu test

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I just got an i7 3930k and Asus motherboard to go with it to try out and hope to put it together in a few days. I can't find consistent info on max temps. The Intel site says 66.8° C for max tCase. Generally anything under 70-75 seems to be recommended in most the threads I find. I'll be on water with nothing else in the loop. I'm just hoping to get around 4.5ghz on it.

I also got two GTX 980s (an Asus Strix and Zotac) stable at 1498Mhz to go along with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm about to overclock a 6600k tomorrow and get back into the OC game a bit. Last CPU I spent a lot of time on was the 4670k, where I primarily tweaked vrin, vcore, cache voltage along with many variations of uncore and core multiplier. It was a lot of tweaking, although fun.

This time around I'm doing so in a ... RVZ02 with a dinky little cooler (AR06). I don't expect a lot, but has the OC process changed much with Skylake?

Run http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html

I'm interested to know what you get especially at (what seems to me) to be a whopping 1.423 vcore. 61*C is practically running cold, but I'm not sure firestrike is a great cpu test

I read somewhere that Skylake does voltage management different than previous boards, but I couldn't tell you exactly what.

Heading off to work so I only did the default test. I've run it 3 times. This last time the V got over 1.4, the previous 2 it was something like 1.39 or something.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

slidebite posted:

I read somewhere that Skylake does voltage management different than previous boards, but I couldn't tell you exactly what.

Heading off to work so I only did the default test. I've run it 3 times. This last time the V got over 1.4, the previous 2 it was something like 1.39 or something.

That's more like the temps I would expect. But like others have said, I guess what happened was just some weird one off thing.

I just happened to OC my first skylake cpu last night and I didn't realize the voltage threshold has increased (which is why I was surprised at 1.4) so I think its all good!

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

AzureSkys posted:

I just got an i7 3930k and Asus motherboard to go with it to try out and hope to put it together in a few days. I can't find consistent info on max temps. The Intel site says 66.8° C for max tCase. Generally anything under 70-75 seems to be recommended in most the threads I find. I'll be on water with nothing else in the loop. I'm just hoping to get around 4.5ghz on it.

I also got two GTX 980s (an Asus Strix and Zotac) stable at 1498Mhz to go along with it.

4.5 is just punching 45 in the mult settings, most do it okay no vcore increase, higher than that and it gets tricky and very hot

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My IB chip cools for poo poo so the best I can do is 4.2 but I can actually undervolt at that speed.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
This is as far as I'm willing to go for 24/7 use

Wattage can go really crazy really fast

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
Hi guys, I'm currently in the process of tweaking a new system and wanted to see if there was any advice I could get on my current settings. I'm not a complete noob, but I would say I'm still a novice.

This is for a system that has tested stable in 8+ hour torture tests. The board is an Asus Rampage IV extreme. The first thing I noticed was the CPUTIN registering as the surface of the sun. Are the rampage IV boards known for something like that or do you think it's a faulty sensor given the rest of the readings? Any advice on my voltages is also appreciated: I'm not terribly motivated to clock faster with this molten lava 4820k, but if I could reduce my temps at the current clock, that would be even better.

Fishreds99 fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 11, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Everything I've ever seen about CPUTIN has indicated that it's basically an incorrect/bogus reading and can be ignored.

Also, 57C max on the CPU cores hardly seem like "molten lava" - if that's the actual max you saw during stress testing, you have plenty of thermal headroom for further OCing if you wanted. 1.37V is hardly insanely high either.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

GokieKS posted:

Everything I've ever seen about CPUTIN has indicated that it's basically an incorrect/bogus reading and can be ignored.

Also, 57C max on the CPU cores hardly seem like "molten lava" - if that's the actual max you saw during stress testing, you have plenty of thermal headroom for further OCing if you wanted. 1.37V is hardly insanely high either.

Yeah the cpu hasn't broken 60C under load with this configuration, even after hours of stress testing. The molten lava bit I was referring to was just that this chip gets exponentially hotter with anything approaching 4.7ghz+, and is known to not handle overclocking as well as the Haswells. I heard the 22nm chipsets aren't supposed to be volted over 1.3v for 24/7 use, which is why I've kept the vcore at 1.255 with a high LLC. I miss my 2500k but I got the LGA 2011 socket for free and didn't want it to go to waste.

Fishreds99 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Fishreds99 posted:

Yeah the cpu hasn't broken 60C under load with this configuration, even after hours of stress testing. The molten lava bit I was referring to was just that this chip gets exponentially hotter with anything approaching 4.7ghz+, and is known to not handle overclocking as well as the Haswells. I heard the 22nm chipsets aren't supposed to be volted over 1.3v for 24/7 use, which is why I've kept the vcore at 1.255 with a high LLC. I miss my 2500k but I got the LGA 2011 socket for free and didn't want it to go to waste.

If you look above I posted my hwmonitor with the same board as yours and my cputin value is normal, also don't know your cpu but seems like its similar to mine for Vcore where you can go safely to like 1.45V if you cooling is good enough

edit:

Don't mind the vcore I was testing stuff

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 11, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Sh4 posted:

If you look above I posted my hwmonitor with the same board as yours and my cputin value is normal, also don't know your cpu but seems like its similar to mine for Vcore where you can go safely to like 1.45V if you cooling is good enough
I read way too many reports of 1.5V killing 2500k's and 2600k's when they were still sold. No way I'd try 1.45V on a 22nm chip unless you were planning to replace it a year from now.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

bitcoin savant posted:

I read way too many reports of 1.5V killing 2500k's and 2600k's when they were still sold. No way I'd try 1.45V on a 22nm chip unless you were planning to replace it a year from now.
Those can do 1.5V no problem, maybe its just bad luck or user error, ran mine at 1.6v for at least a month for science and nothing really changed (I had the theory that zapping an old cpu would make it OC more, i think it did something but my 5Ghz dream is still crushed)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've heard really rare reports of people breaking 5 GHz on a 3820. I'm pretty pleased with 4.2 myself but apparently 4.625 is easily doable with a small voltage bump so I'm considering that. All hail the mighty BCLK strap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Has anyone mentioned that there are boards that either can or will with a BIOS update, overclock locked Skylake chips via the base clock?

Well, it's loving happening. In this example, they're running a Core i3-6100 @ 4.7GHz. That's a 1GHz OC, for those playing at home.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 11, 2015