Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

powderific posted:

You can get 128gb cf cards?

Yeah. RAW video recording with DSLRs has been driving the demand for high capacity CF cards way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr.Caligari posted:

I understand. That did give me all I needed to know, thanks alot.

I wish I could say I would know how to use this camera to it's potential, but I buy and resell items I purchase from auction lots. I will see if I can't find someone to give it a proper mechanical inspecting so I that can accurately sell it. Thanks again

KEH has the Color Dial Contax IIa for $238 in BGN condition (works, but has light wear from use). They have the coated 50mm f/2 Sonnar in BGN grade for $109.

Color dial means the shutter speeds are in colors on the dial - otherwise they're done in black enamel which is inventively called the "black dial" model. The color dials are worth more because they have a modern PC flash socket, while the black dial models need a little adapter doohickey.

The way you tell if Zeiss lenses are coated is if they have a red T on the lens ring. Coated is more valuable than non-coated. The f/2 version is slower and optically worse than the f/1.5 version, and sells for less.

If it needs shutter work it may be "totaled" at this point in terms of actual value. KEH might do it, they're pretty full-service. Or, you can sell it for parts or a shelf piece.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My grandmother has one of those IIa's I might take from her when I visit for thanksgiving. Last time I looked at it it seemed a little stiff but the shutter fired. Granted I didn't know what I was really looking at back then.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

powderific posted:

You can get 128gb cf cards?

Compact flash is about triple the price of SD, which makes it much less tempting.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

akadajet posted:

My grandmother has one of those IIa's I might take from her when I visit for thanksgiving. Last time I looked at it it seemed a little stiff but the shutter fired. Granted I didn't know what I was really looking at back then.

II or IIa? The easy way to tell is that the IIa has a smaller rangefinder window that "pops out" from the front.

The major difference is that the IIa has metal connecting strap in the shutter instead of cloth, plus T and 1sec speeds. Plus also better fit/finish supposedly. All Contax bodies have real metal shutter curtains, though, which is really important since there's no reflex mirror keeping the light off it. You can burn the curtain in a Leica very easily if you leave it pointed wide-open near the sun.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

II or IIa? The easy way to tell is that the IIa has a smaller rangefinder window that "pops out" from the front.

The major difference is that the IIa has metal connecting strap in the shutter instead of cloth, plus T and 1sec speeds. Plus also better fit/finish supposedly. All Contax bodies have real metal shutter curtains, though, which is really important since there's no reflex mirror keeping the light off it. You can burn the curtain in a Leica very easily if you leave it pointed wide-open near the sun.

It'a a IIa. It still has the literature and leather case with it. My grandfather had to win a raffle or something for a chance to buy it in the 50s.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Compact flash is about triple the price of SD, which makes it much less tempting.

The UDMA 7 CF cards are also about 2-3x the write speed of UHS-II SD, though. The UHS-II transfer speed is faster but the actual implementation of cards - for write - is usually 60MBps tops and that's a number off a Lexar card that is known to fail (most are 40-45MBps). I have a couple of devices that use UDMA 7 CF cards and they can just break write speeds of 130MBps.

None of this is fast enough to keep up with writing continuous shooting mode raw files on modern cameras in real-time. 20-30MB raws even with UDMA 7 practically limits you to 4-5 FPS in raw on any camera once you run out of memory buffer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Easy to fix, just jam an SSD in there.

Isn't technology easy!

nop
Mar 31, 2010

xzzy posted:

Easy to fix, just jam an SSD in there.

Isn't technology easy!

You know, I bet it's possible to wire up a micro controller to an sd adapter and an msata drive, you'd need a small battery and you wouldn't be able to close the flap around the sd slot, but it'd be an interesting experiment... SSDs are cheaper than sd cards, and less likely to fail...

This is a terrible idea, but I want to try it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The latest CF spec is basically SATA so yes, people have built CF-SSD adapters.

Also one nice thing about CF cards is that they're practically indestructible compared to SD cards.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HPL posted:

The latest spec is actually based on PCIe, but I haven't really seen it in the wild much. Predictably, they went PATA->SATA->PCIe.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

windex posted:

The UDMA 7 CF cards are also about 2-3x the write speed of UHS-II SD, though. The UHS-II transfer speed is faster but the actual implementation of cards - for write - is usually 60MBps tops and that's a number off a Lexar card that is known to fail (most are 40-45MBps). I have a couple of devices that use UDMA 7 CF cards and they can just break write speeds of 130MBps.

None of this is fast enough to keep up with writing continuous shooting mode raw files on modern cameras in real-time. 20-30MB raws even with UDMA 7 practically limits you to 4-5 FPS in raw on any camera once you run out of memory buffer.

drat, I didn't realize that the speed difference was that much. I would be nice to shoot at 5fps until the end of time.

I found this $60 128GB. I don't think I'll trust my photos to "KomputerBay" anytime soon. :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I want an nvme m2 slot in my dslr :/

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

Also one nice thing about CF cards is that they're practically indestructible compared to SD cards.

The cards are, but the loving pins in the camera aren't :(

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

timrenzi574 posted:

The cards are, but the loving pins in the camera aren't :(

In 25 years of PCMCIA/CF card use, I've never bent or run into a piece of gear with best pins. How do you even do it? There's guide rails for the cards.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Startyde posted:

In 25 years of PCMCIA/CF card use, I've never bent or run into a piece of gear with best pins. How do you even do it? There's guide rails for the cards.

I've bent the pins on a lovely CF USB card reader, but I don't think that's a fair complaint as the same reader scraped the gold off my SD card contacts.

I am sure there is a moral there somewhere

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Startyde posted:

The guide rails on your 10D get pretty worn after 6+ years of use and let things slip. Although I guess that's partly my fault for using a 10D for that many years

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-Focus-S/dp/B007VGGFZU

Is this a good deal? Ive beenlooking for a dslr for under $1000 and if I could save some cash here that'd be nice. Just doing general stuff really. Portraiture and landscapes mostly. Low light a plus.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Not exactly a deal by any stretch of the word. That's just the typical price for a D3200.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 24, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Startyde posted:

Unnoticed damage to a pin hole on a CF card is how I bent one of mine. I guess the CF card got dropped at some point and a teeny piece of plastic blocked the hole and pushed the pin back into the camera.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Avian Pneumonia posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-Focus-S/dp/B007VGGFZU

Is this a good deal? Ive beenlooking for a dslr for under $1000 and if I could save some cash here that'd be nice. Just doing general stuff really. Portraiture and landscapes mostly. Low light a plus.

Yea, you should be able to get a D3200 + kit lens for under $300 if you look around a bit.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

If a canon 135mm is showing strong chromatic abberation at f2 - f2.8 after a drop onto concrete, could it easily be fixed?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Did not expect the great white Canon supertele lenses to be 10% off for black friday!

I thought black friday was mostly just clothing and other seasonal stuff that the stores will eventually struggle to get rid off.

Been looking to buy a 300 f2.8 for a while but more or less shelved those plans due to the price, but now i am tempted again :(

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

Been looking to buy a 300 f2.8 for a while but more or less shelved those plans due to the price, but now i am tempted again :(
If you're in the US make sure you check out Canadian stores first. You are going to get a lot more than 10% right now due to the exchange rate.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

50% off all accessories on KEH today.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
^^
*Used* accessories, otherwise they would have to include film in that deal :v:. And 30% off used lenses too.

I grabbed a new lens for my Mamiya C220 and a prism finder, which got me free shipping to Canada too :getin:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

*Used* accessories, otherwise they would have to include film in that deal :v:.

Why isn't Portra on sale anywhere :qq:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Store near me has the epson p600 for $499 today and it's taking all my willpower not to go buy it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BANME.sh posted:

^^
*Used* accessories, otherwise they would have to include film in that deal :v:. And 30% off used lenses too.

Is it me or is stock quite low right now? I'm looking for Nikon F-mount stuff and the only 70-200 they have at all is a brand new Nikon branded one.

I hate KEH's website though, but I hear I'm not alone in that camp. MPB is so much better (UK based, so useless to most people. And not doing any promotions today).

e: MPB started black friday at about 8pm GMT it seems, how odd. Nothing I want there either, cursus.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 27, 2015

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Thoogsby posted:

Sweet, snagged some lens hoods and a grip for my E-M10. KEH's site is still awful, though

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

30% of used lenses as well. You can get the Tamron 17-50 (that's still the recommended next step up from the kit lens, right?) for under $200.

edit: Canon 400mm F/5.6 for $550. 300mm F/4 IS for $653.

Vaguely tempted to get a third party grip for my 50D for $4.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 27, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Are there any similar alternatives to the Tamron 17-50 non-VC that are still good enough for the money? How about the Sigma 17-50 Macro? The non-macro seems to have some iffy reviews.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are there any similar alternatives to the Tamron 17-50 non-VC that are still good enough for the money? How about the Sigma 17-50 Macro? The non-macro seems to have some iffy reviews.

I've got the Sigma 17-50MM F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM, which I like quite a bit. I haven't tried the Tamron 17-50 non-VC in order to make a direct comparison, but the Sigma seems very sharp, the AF and OS are both good, and the thing is built like a tank. KEH has one in the Nikon mount for $432 (before coupon) now, which seems like a decent price once you factor in the coupon.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
This is a a more lens related question but I could have sworn I saw something absurd like an 18-300 2.8 or something like that, do fast zooms even exist in that huge a range or any larger range than the 200-500, 20-70 or so?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sure: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=y&Q=&A=details

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
Do Cinema lenses really count there? I mean, that lens weighs 9kg / 20lbs, and for that much money you could buy one fast prime in every common focal length over the same range then hire someone to carry them around for you for a year or two.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah well physics are what they are. On the other hand you can't do a zoom shot with a bunch of primes, and sometimes making s bunch of takes at different focal length quickly is more important than having a lightweight system, and so is this thing exists.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
When looking at lenses like that you have to consider the image circle as well. That Fujinon covers only Super 35, a fraction smaller than APS-C.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So I want to get a camera this Christmas, and I'm down to two cameras, the Sony 'a6000' and 'RX100 II'.
Both camera's are exactly the same price, so its really down to the pros and cons of each.

The peak of what I would like to do is print a photograph on good paper or even canvas to put up in my apartment.
Would mostly be used during hiking and vacations, and maybe for some portrait work.

Here are things as I seem them so far. FYI: I have no intention in upgrading from the kit lens any time soon if I get the a6000.

RX100
+ Small (Should lead to more photography)
+ Lower learning curve?
- Lower IQ when compared to the a6000
- Lens cannot be upgraded if I get deeper in the hobby later

a6000
+ Better IQ
+ Lens can be upgraded
- I think I need at least my messenger bag for this guy.
- Higher learning curve?

I've never done photography, so there is that as well. What do you guys recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The UI between the RX and the a6000 are basically the same. They have the same menu/FN system and the same amount of complexity. It's really whether you want a true pocket camera (the RX) or something with more room to grow (a6000). The a6000 is better for moving subjects and continuous drive, so if you want to do anything relating to higher speed shooting it will be your choice.