Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Dross posted:

I've done that now; my character name is Citation Needed if anyone in Third Party Tools is online and near Limsa Lominsa.

Good name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

hobbesmaster posted:

One plot hole... How can your imaginary trainer heal you.

Because your sheer hatred turned them into a corpse puppet.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Am I handicapping myself by playing with a controller? Being able to sit comfortably is very appealing.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dross posted:

Am I handicapping myself by playing with a controller? Being able to sit comfortably is very appealing.

Not really, I'm sure the super hardcore raiders hate controller players because they hate everything but you can play the game well once you get either control scheme down.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Dross posted:

I was advised to switch to gamepad in lieu of my old standard of KB/M due to developing RSI in my wrists, and while it took a little getting used to, I'm not sure I could go back to playing the game on a keyboard anymore.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Here's the tanking guide that everyone should have handy:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Dross posted:

They said they test all their content on controllers so you should be fine.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Weird, I thought hate was generated by the insults contained in your macros.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

hobbesmaster posted:

It's a world where if you will something hard enough, it happens, all you need are enough crystals.

Dross posted:

FFXIV is the rare game that plays equally well with KB/M as controller. They've said they test all content with controllers to make sure.

Though I do have concerns about how they'll tackle adding more skills in the future.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 29, 2015

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Dross posted:

My dragoon is a gamepadder and he does more dps than most other dragoons.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

The placebo effect is one hell of a thing.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's a world where if you will something hard enough, it happens, all you need are enough crystals.

FFXIV is the rare game that plays equally well with KB/M as controller. They've said they test all content with controllers to make sure.

Though I do have concerns about how they'll tackle adding more skills in the future.

I think they need to focus on adding more traits next time they increase the level cap. Would be nice and give potential to some of the abilities people find useless or less useful.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Dross posted:

Absolutely not. I do end-game raid content as a controller SCH and have never had an issue where I felt a keyboard would make it easier.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'd like that capability outside of plot quests is all. :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Grimace posted:

I think they need to focus on adding more traits next time they increase the level cap. Would be nice and give potential to some of the abilities people find useless or less useful.

Would be nice if they combined or just got rid of some abilities. A good example is the warrior's defiance/deliverance abilities. There's no reason that Inner Beast and Fell Cleave should be separate abilities when they essentially do the same thing. Just make it like astro stances, where it does 400 potency in deliverance, and gets a self heal and damage reduction in defiance.

One way or another they're going to have to address ability bloat in the next expansion.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Controller rules once you set it up and it isn't a hindrance to running content. Give it a shot.

Once you are comfortable with things and starting to get enough abilities that your base 16 slots are crowded or the layout is getting unwieldy, dig into the menus and enable the RT+LT and LT+RT hotbars to get you to 32 abilities without manually switching hotbars. That should get you into the 50s no problem.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The only problem I ever have on controller is that the second set of 16 skills are invisible until I call them up, so I tend to forget about them sometimes. I do my best to arrange all my main combo and oGCD stuff on the front 16 so I can see when they're up immediately. I stick my less used stuff in the back 16 (stances, less frequently used buffs, provoke and the like). That can get a little tricky on some classes but you just have to remember you have stuff you can't see.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

The Grimace posted:

I'd rather see those abilities just get straight buffed without traits or completely retooled. Wide Volley, for example, is virtually useless the moment you get it as of 3.0, why force an additional 11+ levels until you possibly get a trait to make it worthwhile?

Fister Roboto posted:

Would be nice if they combined or just got rid of some abilities. A good example is the warrior's defiance/deliverance abilities. There's no reason that Inner Beast and Fell Cleave should be separate abilities when they essentially do the same thing. Just make it like astro stances, where it does 400 potency in deliverance, and gets a self heal and damage reduction in defiance.

One way or another they're going to have to address ability bloat in the next expansion.

Or something like this, yeah. There's really no reason certain combo abilities shouldn't just automatically turn the hotkey immediately in to the next skill in the combo, like Machinists shots. Same with most non-Monk second and third combo attacks.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Skaw posted:

Or something like this, yeah. There's really no reason certain combo abilities shouldn't just automatically turn the hotkey immediately in to the next skill in the combo, like Machinists shots. Same with most non-Monk second and third combo attacks.

Being able to do your combo out of order is important for machinist, from my understanding. Get a clean shot proc and save it for a bit to use when you need to move

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ninja and Warrior have branching combos, too.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Ouhei posted:

The only problem I ever have on controller is that the second set of 16 skills are invisible until I call them up, so I tend to forget about them sometimes. I do my best to arrange all my main combo and oGCD stuff on the front 16 so I can see when they're up immediately. I stick my less used stuff in the back 16 (stances, less frequently used buffs, provoke and the like). That can get a little tricky on some classes but you just have to remember you have stuff you can't see.
I find it useful to place a tiny hotbar with cooldowns/situation skills in the the general buff/enemy status section of my UI, not to actually use, but to know at a glance if something is ready without having to look at my crossbars.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zereth posted:

So does PLD, now. The only melee class with fixed combos is dragoon, and there's an RNG based positional at the end of each.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone else getting a 1014 error when they try to select a character?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I would be willing to sacrifice One Ilm Punch for the greater good.

Also, Balmung exploded.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Potato Jones posted:

I find it useful to place a tiny hotbar with cooldowns/situation skills in the the general buff/enemy status section of my UI, not to actually use, but to know at a glance if something is ready without having to look at my crossbars.

Yeah, I do that too. I make it off-center around where I place my focus target and enemy health. It reminds me of old PC space vehicle games.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

XI & it's players. There's your answer.
but sadly we won't see a game like that one again. (tho i hope we do!)
There was no looking up a fight, watching a video, talking on voice chat...
You did the fight to get your experience and with experience you finally beat it.
Just getting to the area you had to go to was a challenge.
Everything is just handed now.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

quote:

There was no looking up a fight

either this person had no idea xiclopedia existed or they're blowing hot air out of their rear end

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Skaw posted:

I'd rather see those abilities just get straight buffed without traits or completely retooled. Wide Volley, for example, is virtually useless the moment you get it as of 3.0, why force an additional 11+ levels until you possibly get a trait to make it worthwhile?

Yeah, I'd like to see all of this happen too. I hope that SE does actually end up working on taking some of the bloat out of abilities because drat, it's really gotten to be a pain.

Potato Jones posted:

I do something similar to this. I place mine in the bottom right corner of the screen. As a Ninja, I check it all the time to see when exactly I'm free to use important but long recast abilities like Duality and Dream Within a Dream. Even more important would be Trick Attack, which I have first on that hotbar. There are just so many abilities to watch over. As much as I love the crossbar design, it does get unwieldy when you start getting more than 16 important abilities. Things get much more confusing.

I also have the advanced crossbar under my command, so when I hold R2 and then press L2 (or vice-versa), it brings up a separate set of crossbars. I use it for the aforementioned important abilities that are on long cooldowns, or defensive cooldowns that do not always see the light of day. It's a lot less of a pain to do that than holding R1 and trying to remember where my other necessary ability is when I'm in a really bad pinch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hivac posted:

either this person had no idea xiclopedia existed or they're blowing hot air out of their rear end

How dare you suggest an OF poster could be an idiot or a liar.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

How quickly we forget the piles of required reading forum posts detailing every single thing you had to do for each COP mission.. There weren't videos because the content wasn't hard enough to require visual details.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
As someone who did a lot of story content in FFXI in early 2015 i am extremely thankful for those people way back in the mid 2000s that first fumbled their way around in the darkness to document that poo poo

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I still don't understand why this person thinks voice chat is a bad thing. I love doing content that requires teamspeak, it's way more fun.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

vOv posted:

I still don't understand why this person thinks voice chat is a bad thing. I love doing content that requires teamspeak, it's way more fun.

Socialization is scary

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Voice chat with people you don't know is the worst. Its importance in clearing high end content is also super overrated.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Being able to do your combo out of order is important for machinist, from my understanding. Get a clean shot proc and save it for a bit to use when you need to move

Zereth posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

So does PLD, now. The only melee class with fixed combos is dragoon, and there's an RNG based positional at the end of each.

It would still be possible to condense everyone's combo options into about four, maybe five buttons, which is something I want to try to do if they ever actually release the addon API (and the addon API actually allows anything useful to be made)

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

vOv posted:

The opportunity of voice chat is nice, yes. Opens things up that text simply doesn't. But requiring it is kinda lovely. Some people don't like to talk, some people have anxiety related to voice communication, some people don't have decent mics or headsets, some people are women who don't want to announce themselves as such because the internet is full of lovely people who will harass them for it, some people are transgender and don't like being forced to out themselves because of a video game, etc.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The only way anyone played FFXI was with Allakazam open right next to them on the laptop or something.

Anyway, these tops are from the new dungeons. Anyone know offhand what the girls legs and feet are? They guy is just wearing the full set i think.

Also, sharing this because it's great.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

a kitten posted:

Anyway, these tops are from the new dungeons. Anyone know offhand what the girls legs and feet are? They guy is just wearing the full set i think.

The feet are Lominsan Soldier's Boots. The legs, I don't know which specific one it might be, pretty much any of the crafter legs that go with coatee chests have that model - velveteen bottom, linen bottom, holy rainbow bottom...

vvv Yeah, Officer's boots, my bad. I even double-checked which boots it was and then brain went on auto-pilot and typed the wrong one.

ArashiKurobara fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 29, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ArashiKurobara posted:

The feet are Lominsan Soldier's Boots. The legs, I don't know which specific one it might be, pretty much any of the crafter legs that go with coatee chests have that model - velveteen bottom, linen bottom, holy rainbow bottom...

Yeah the legs i know i've seen a bunch. The Lominsan boots don't have the red do they, or is it just 'shopped? :doh: Oh, it's the Officer's boot.
Thanks!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hivac posted:

Porque no los dos?

• Locked thread