Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

As I said elsewhere, he's not referring to the shooting as the tragedy/terrorism taking place at the PP facility, he's referring to the abortion service PP provides. Hence him saying tragedy and not shooting, while focusing on the act as something that should be called terrorism, especially by the pro-life movement.

I mean, you can hope I'm wrong but with Huckabee being the shameless rear end in a top hat he is I'm pretty sure I'm reading his carefully crafted message properly.

No. You're reading into it.

He uses tragedy because shooting implies gun violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
He's sorrowful it happened but acknowledges the true victims here: prolifers.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I regret my previous speech. I would've preferred Huckabee have said nothing at all

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Epic High Five posted:

I regret my previous speech. I would've preferred Huckabee have said nothing at all

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: The Problem Attic > USPOL Nov: I would've preferred Huckabee have said nothing at all

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Welllll

Essentially "This is terrorism because it makes us look bad"

"gently caress this guy not for what he did but for the inevitable legislative response" - Now in presidential-hopeful tweet form!

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
The shooter was mentally ill

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Most right wingers are

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So are all suicide bombers.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So are boomers and gen x'ers who are committing suicide at rates well above what would be expected

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Brilliant observation sir!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hi, you only ever show up to defend racism, sexism or domestic terrorism.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

SedanChair posted:

Guaranteed to pack the house.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

You're not wrong

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DemeaninDemon posted:

He's sorrowful it happened but acknowledges the true victims here: prolifers.

Basically.

quote:

Brianna, I don't know of any pro-life leader... Any... If you can tell me one, please correct me. But I don't know of anyone who has suggested violence towards Planned Parenthood personnel, or some act of violence towards their clinics. I've not heard that, not from one, single pro-life person. I've heard universal condemnation, whether it's from the Centers for Medical Progress that put out the videos, whether it's from pro-life advocates, and I consider myself one of them... I know of nobody, that has ever suggested that Planned Parenthood be the target of some type of violent attack, so I think that's a little bit disingenuous on the part of Planned Parenthood to blame people who have a strong philosophical disagreement with the dismembering of human babies.

Look, Planned Parenthood isn't the victim here, it's the pro-life movement, who's been unjustly blamed for this!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Basically.

Look, Planned Parenthood isn't the victim here, it's the pro-life movement, who's been unjustly blamed for this!

BRB going to my happy, calming place for a little bit

edit - my post became a thread title, my legacy is secure!

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 29, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boon posted:

No. You're reading into it.

He uses tragedy because shooting implies gun violence

You are giving Huckabee far too much credit. He's specifically not using more valid terms like 'attack' for this reason.

SedanChair posted:

An unfunny shitposting gimmick in D&D you say? :monocle:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

You are giving Huckabee far too much credit. He's specifically not using more valid terms like 'attack' for this reason.

No, I'm not. I'm simply not going to pretend Huckabee is playing some vaguely higher level mental game that you seem to be laying on him. The comment is lovely as is.

If you have to do mental gymnastics to justify something over a much more reasonable interpretation then you're probably reading into it and should probably take a breath.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 29, 2015

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Same

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

A wild hot take appears. Guns should come with LSD laced into the hand grips. Maybe it'll help clear their minds before they start shooting.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

And...?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Hey, I'm sure if we just took a moment to reflect we'd decide that everyone shares a little bit of the blame.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/261431-carson-both-sides-in-abortion-debate-need-to-tone-down

quote:

Carson: Both sides in abortion debate need to tone down rhetoric

“I think both sides should tone down their rhetoric and engage in civil discussion,” Carson said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” “There is no question that you know hateful rhetoric no matter which side it comes from - right or left - is something that is detrimental to our society,” he added. “This has been a big problem.”

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

JehovahsWetness posted:

Hey, I'm sure if we just took a moment to reflect we'd decide that everyone shares a little bit of the blame.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/261431-carson-both-sides-in-abortion-debate-need-to-tone-down

gently caress him. God drat.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shut up, M---wait no, you're actually right.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The only thing I'm scared of right now in the presidential election is Hillary being viewed of as a bully in debates by Fox/CNN/etc. She's going to destroy.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

The only thing I'm scared of right now in the presidential election is Hillary being viewed of as a bully in debates by Fox/CNN/etc. She's going to destroy.

Ugh, I'm already preparing for a repeat of the VP debates, where the media went off every time about whether or not Biden was "bullying" and whether or not Ryan/Palin was "doing well considering". :jerkbag:

It was still fun to watch Biden wipe the floor with everyone, but the "well, I guess it was a tie" :shrug: mentality kills me every time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

If she's against Trump somehow, there's absolutely no way this narrative would stick. You can't out-bully the ultimate bully.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

WampaLord posted:

If she's against Trump somehow, there's absolutely no way this narrative would stick. You can't out-bully the ultimate bully.

Which is why the fox rhetoric would have Trump coming off as confident while Clinton would be described as a shrill harpy.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Ugh, I'm already preparing for a repeat of the VP debates, where the media went off every time about whether or not Biden was "bullying" and whether or not Ryan/Palin was "doing well considering". :jerkbag:

It was still fun to watch Biden wipe the floor with everyone, but the "well, I guess it was a tie" :shrug: mentality kills me every time.

Only an idiot seriously thinks Biden didn't win that. Anyone with ears and eyes could tell that. I wouldn't think too much about it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Cruz was on the debate team at whatever Ivy League he went to and he argued a case before the Supreme Court, albeit unsuccessfully. If it was him versus Clinton I wouldn't expect her to walk away with it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

deoju posted:

Cruz was on the debate team at whatever Ivy League he went to and he argued a case before the Supreme Court, albeit unsuccessfully. If it was him versus Clinton I wouldn't expect her to walk away with it.

Thankfully this scenario is all but impossible now that Cruz is Trump's running mate. Even if Trump bows out (unlikely), Cruz is now indelibly linked to Trump this election cycle.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

deoju posted:

You're in a bad place if you think Cruz gets that far or that he'll wet fart his way through a debate with Hillary.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

deoju posted:

No way. Being a good legal debater is not nearly the same thing as a political debater. In the legal system, you don't win over judges with impassioned closing arguments, as much as TV would lead us to believe. But political debates are all about rhetoric that resonates with voters.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

JehovahsWetness posted:

"I learned something today, you guys. Maybe the crazy, baby-part-selling abortionist murderer killers are right about some things, and the heroic, pro-life Christian soldiers are right about other things. I think we all just need to calm down and recognize each others' points: that abortion should be illegal but that we also shouldn't kill doctors,"

Honestly though, where is the "heated rhetoric" from pro-choice people? Where is this secret, atheist/Muslim militia compound where people smoke weed, have recreational abortions, and plot attacks on pro-life rallies?

DemeaninDemon posted:

That is going to be extremely interesting. If the nominee is Bush or Rubio, I can definitely see them pushing this idea. If it's Trump (I doubt it), the debate will be one of the ugliest scenes in modern politics.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Boon posted:

Soldiering on, slowly.

The next book on my nightstand is "What the Matter with Kansas", so it's possible I might slide into depression as the holidays approach...

Quit a few pages back, but I just want to recommend you pick up one of Matt Taibbi's earlier books as a palet cleanser. Sure, they are still about all the horrible things you are already reading about, but his writing style will have you laughing out loud (possibly through the tears, but still).

Smells Like Dead Elephants is a great one.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Bullfrog posted:

That is going to be extremely interesting. If the nominee is Bush or Rubio, I can definitely see them pushing this idea. If it's Trump (I doubt it), the debate will be one of the ugliest scenes in modern politics.

You mean Rubio v Trump v Hillary? :getin:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Basically.

Huck's ignoring the original pro-life movement of the 80's and 90's, which was predicated on violence toward abortion providers and protest tactics that would make Black Lives Matter protesters shake their heads while taking notes.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

richardfun posted:

Quit a few pages back, but I just want to recommend you pick up one of Matt Taibbi's earlier books as a palet cleanser. Sure, they are still about all the horrible things you are already reading about, but his writing style will have you laughing out loud (possibly through the tears, but still).

Smells Like Dead Elephants is a great one.

The Divide is more relevant to current events.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Is Fiorina still relevant?

quote:

In an interview this morning with Fox News Sunday, Republican primary candidateCarly Fiorina said that attempts to link Friday’s Planned Parenthood shooting with anti-abortion rhetoric were “typical left-wing tactics.”

Fiorina was responding to a statement by Vicki Cowart, president of Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains. In her statement, Cowart said, “We’ve seen an alarming increase in hateful rhetoric and smear campaigns against abortion providers and patients over the last few months. That environment breeds acts of violence.” Fiorina rejected the connections made by Cowart saying, “This is so typical of the left to immediately begin demonizing a messenger because they don’t agree with the message. The vast majority of Americans agree what Planned Parenthood is doing is wrong.”

The former HP President has been one of the most public defenders of the series of deceptively edited videos released by theCenter for Medical Progress. CMP, headed by David Daleiden, claims that Planned Parenthood is engaged in the illegal harvesting and sale of fetal remains. During the September GOP primary debate, Fiorina passionately claimed that the CMP videosshowed “a fully formed fetus on the table, its heart beating, its legs kicking, while someone says, ‘We have to keep it alive to harvest its brain.’” Though the statement struck a chord with primary voters—Fiorina’s numbers did a sharp, but brief, climb—it was patently false. Despite that, Fiorina has stood by the statement, issuing a series of videos that ostensibly backed her claims.

And Fiorina seems to be sticking to her proverbial guns. Though she called the murder of three people (one that appears to be motivated by ideology) a “tragedy,” she added, “Any protesters should always be peaceful. Whether it’s Black Lives Matter or pro-life protesters.”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JehovahsWetness posted:

get hosed Carson. I usually the first to poo poo on both sides. but on this issue, its only been the right being assholes about PP and womens health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

To use one of Carson's favorite things to compare, its like the Nazis and the jews both share blame for the holocaust

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 29, 2015

• Locked thread