Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what do you like best
This poll is closed.
pics 69 0.39%
vids 420 2.40%
gazza.txt 8008 45.77%
havin yer mam 9001 51.44%
Total: 17498 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Luke Smith posted:

Reminder that SAF let him go on a free

SAF didn't want him and refused to offer him a contract. What a loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Luke Smith posted:

Reminder that SAF let him go on a free

Actually they offered him a contract and he turned it down and they got paid compensation for him totalling about 800k

Bet you feel a right idiot now knowing how wrong you were

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

PirateBob posted:

SAF didn't want him and refused to offer him a contract. What a loving idiot.

This is wrong. They offered him a contract that was the same standard contract they offered players that moved from the youth to the first team of around 10k a week. His advisers were asking for 30k a week

When you bear in mind at the same time as this you had someone like Danny Welbeck who had made over 30 appearances in the league for United and another 26 for Sunderland in the Prem over 3 years who was still on his 10-15k a week contract and just about to sign a new deal at about 40-50 grand a week it was a crazy thing to ask for and it seemed like it was more his agent looking for a payday. Fergie being the stubborn old oval office he is wouldnt stand for a 19 year old standing up to him

I dont think there was ever a chance of United giving him that, otherwise every youth player who came through would have expected the same kind of deal. Its all well and good saying Pogba always looked like he would make it, but so did players like Morrison.

The real issue with Pogba he was never given a chance, and thats why he left. If he'd been given more than 3 games in the first team theres a chance he could have justified getting a better contract

I mean this was him in the youth team at like 17-18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyF9fbtY3bQ

Class

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Didn't he walk into a midfield of Vidal, Marchisio and Pirlo at age 19 for Juventus? He was clearly skilled at that age.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Didn't he walk into a midfield of Vidal, Marchisio and Pirlo at age 19 for Juventus? He was clearly skilled at that age.

Playing for the best team in a 3rd tier league who wouldn't look good?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The Big Taff Man posted:

This is wrong. They offered him a contract that was the same standard contract they offered players that moved from the youth to the first team of around 10k a week. His advisers were asking for 30k a week

When you bear in mind at the same time as this you had someone like Danny Welbeck who had made over 30 appearances in the league for United and another 26 for Sunderland in the Prem over 3 years who was still on his 10-15k a week contract and just about to sign a new deal at about 40-50 grand a week it was a crazy thing to ask for and it seemed like it was more his agent looking for a payday. Fergie being the stubborn old oval office he is wouldnt stand for a 19 year old standing up to him

I dont think there was ever a chance of United giving him that, otherwise every youth player who came through would have expected the same kind of deal. Its all well and good saying Pogba always looked like he would make it, but so did players like Morrison.

The real issue with Pogba he was never given a chance, and thats why he left. If he'd been given more than 3 games in the first team theres a chance he could have justified getting a better contract

Class

:rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic.

SAF/Gill gave in quickly and offered Pogba 30-40k per week but he and his agent had their mind set on moving. Both Gill and Pogba have confirmed that money was not the issue in later interviews.

GreatestLurker
Sep 12, 2011

sassassin posted:

Playing for the best team in a 3rd tier league who wouldn't look good?

Hernanes

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I didnt say he wasnt skilled, in fact I showed a video that he was!

He was no Morrison tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONKlo6HGWM

Phwoar

PirateBob posted:

:rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic.

SAF/Gill gave in quickly and offered Pogba 30-40k per week but he and his agent had their mind set on moving. Both Gill and Pogba have confirmed that money was not the issue in later interviews.

Yeah as I said, the issue was he was never given a chance

I mean there was a spell in the December/January of that season where we were devoid of central midfielders and this team played instead of Pogba

This was just a day or so before the January window opened and Pogba could talk to non english clubs. Ive always thought not playing in this sealed his fate

Fergie was a stubborn oval office, and he made wrong decisions because of that, but he also won a poo poo load of trophies for the same reason so what do you do

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Pogba posted:

"It was a very, very difficult moment for me because I was in love with Manchester and I was a Mancunian.

"It was the match against Blackburn in December 2011 at Old Trafford.

"Paul Scholes had retired, Darren Fletcher was injured. There was no one left to play in midfield. And I was training and I was beginning to get better bit by bit and the coach never stopped telling me, 'You're this far'.

"And I didn't understand. This far away from what? Playing? From having some playing time? From getting on the field? Or what?

"And there was Rafael in midfield and I was disgusted. I was disgusted and I didn't get on either."

United lost 3-2 to Blackburn with Pogba remaining an unused substitute and he said that day convinced him to leave Old Trafford.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
That will never stop being funny plus we had years of United fans bigging up Cleverley and saying Kagawa was just "played out of position" oh some funny posts in the old archives for sure

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The Big Taff Man posted:

Class

Interesting. I always thought that SAF just didn't like him or whatever.

Walking into a starting lineup of a already dominate Juventus team was crazy though. Marchisio, Pirlo, Vidal...Seriously destroyed it.

As far as who couldn't make it? Mario Gomez, whom you guys are rumored to be interested in.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gomez was just riddled with injury problems though.

Luke Smith
Aug 6, 2015

by Cowcaster
Any time you can play Rafael in midfield instead of getting a young Pauly P some cleat time in a meaningless game against Blackburn you have to do it. If you piss off Rafael two players could leave but with Pogba only one left. Man management.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Luke Smith posted:

Any time you can play Rafael in midfield instead of getting a young Pauly P some cleat time in a meaningless game against Blackburn you have to do it. If you piss off Rafael two players could leave but with Pogba only one left. Man management.
yeah and it's not like you could drop either of the worldbeaters nani or antonio valencia

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Luke Smith posted:

yeah and it's not like noted central midfielder rafael would be willing to sit out a game in central midfield

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
If only we could go back in time and change things... heh... I bet Sir Alex Fergietime would do a few things differently!

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

good look for ruud imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He looks more like a horse now than before

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo hahahahaha

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

trp_the_locker_room.gif

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The spread offense?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Rafa saw the failure of Brazil's magic square and thought a magic decagon would work.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Circles are the natural tactical counter to triangles

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BTWZP8kIk

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
https://vine.co/v/Oe5iW3KV0rY

Sunday league

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

That's certainly the most Sunday league goalie.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

holy poo poo lmao

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
http://i.imgur.com/0bODb8f.gifv

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I love a good game of headers and volleys

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Chris Kamara calls Bournemouth's 97th minute equalizer

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Chris Kamara is a national treasure

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

Unbelievable!

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

How do we make this the background

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Costa is mad

https://streamable.com/xin3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Mikel knew where it was going.