Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Mr. Satan is the only human that was born before the end of Buu that didn't die. Truly a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I meant the other one, looked it up and turns out every was dead then though. In any case being a hero is still very risky business and I don't think it's terrible writing that Gohan more or less walks away from it

He can come back from death literally any time he wants, he's got connections (with green alien men)

It's more risky if he can't stop whichever galactic destroyer du jour is smart enough to decide their first stop should be to kill the green alien men before going after Earth when that happens.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shouldn't Gohan be strong so he can protect his family from crazy aliens?
Can't have his daddy with godlike powers bail him out forever you know.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Augus posted:

Honestly at this point he probably could

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gohan is still insanely strong compared to like the general populace of the universe

there's not much that can put him and his family in danger other than gods and stuff that can just blow up the planet outright

he just stopped progressing while the power curve kept going higher

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Really, at this point Gohan would be just fine if his deadbeat dad didn't keep picking fights with the entirety of the tiny population of individuals stronger than Gohan and getting Gohan dragged into the fight. :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Augus posted:

He didn't give enough of a poo poo the first time his wife died

or apparently the second.

or that one time a steroid freak was beating her to death in front of thousands.

gohan is a loving rear end in a top hat and a coward

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually stair he was going pretty loving nuts that last time, it was other people stopping him from doing anything

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Giving into peer pressure is not honorable

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

He didn't give enough of a poo poo the first time his wife died

or apparently the second.

or that one time a steroid freak was beating her to death in front of thousands.

gohan is a loving rear end in a top hat and a coward

Pan's not even 1 yet and she's already died once because he couldn't do gently caress all about it, you'd think that would get him back to the gym

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he doesn't deserve to have mr.satan as a dad

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gohan sucks

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Gohan is a dude with godly superpowers who can do whatever he wants, and he decides to become a scholar.

What a fuckin loser lol.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Must say I really like the New Tagoma. I always felt he had a cool look.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My favorite part of the last episode is that Mr. Buu was unavailable for the fight because he was napping. This adaptation of RoF is way better already

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So just saw the most recent episode and just like with RoF, it's aggravating to watch the fights unfold. There's no reason why most of the Z-fighters present should be struggling as much as they're doing with these scrubs. You could POSSIBLY argue that at least in Gohan's case, he's holding back cause he doesn't actually want to kill them, but Piccolo shouldn't have the same problem.

Now on some level, I understand why this is done the way it is. To have either Gohan or Piccolo turn the Freeza army into an ash heap in five seconds doesn't make for a long, or suspenseful episode(s)/movie. I get that. But at the same time, it's really drat hard to suspend your disbelief at the idea that characters with planet busting abilities would be having so much trouble with these low level lackeys.

It's the same problem the series has had since Goku defeated Freeza the first time around. Once you have the power to blow up an entire planet with a gesture, well it's really hard to have battles that top that. Which is why we have to have absurd things like characters wetting their pants when someone like Perfect Cell blasts a piece of land to create a crater the size of an average sports stadium ("His power...it's beyond measure!" *gawks and grunts for 20 minutes*). Hell, look at the first or second episode of Super, where Trunks (or was it Goten?) had to turn SSJ just to beat some stupid large snake. We are constantly being told that Characters are ostensibly getting stronger, even though their feats somehow become less and less impressive.

I suppose I should at least be somewhat thankful that Toei/Toriyama decided to come up with some excuse (despite it being rather bullshit as well) to show why Tagoma has become so powerful. But even then, he seems to be only stronger than the Ginyu force. And yet he's thrashing Piccolo with no effort whatsoever. Come on now.

I've started watching One Punch man recently (on episode 7 currently, and if you haven't seen it yet, please do so) and one thing I really like about that show is that the studio does a really good job of conveying how powerful and fast the characters (particularly Saitama of course) really are. The way Saitama punched through a massive cliff all the way through, or the way Speed of Sound Sonic moves around. They feel powerful and fast. That's something that's missing for the most part in DBZ.

Anyway, sorry just wanted to get that off my chest. /endrant

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't think Tagoma is only stronger than the Ginyu force. Sorbet said that, but other then Freeza he has no real scope of strength, so it's a bad way to say "he's super strong".

By this point I don't really know how strong he's meant to be, but he was trainig with Freeza who got stupid strong, so I don't think it's unreasonable to say he might be stronger than Piccolo at least.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
IIRC, didn't the Z-Fighters admit they were taking their time fighting lackeys to keep from fighting Freeza? Basically, stalling for Goku.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Momomo posted:

I don't think Tagoma is only stronger than the Ginyu force. Sorbet said that, but other then Freeza he has no real scope of strength, so it's a bad way to say "he's super strong".

By this point I don't really know how strong he's meant to be, but he was trainig with Freeza who got stupid strong, so I don't think it's unreasonable to say he might be stronger than Piccolo at least.

The funny thing is that they're attempts at actually giving a reading of how powerful characters like Tagoma and the red guy were, seem to breed even more confusion. They started off saying those two were as strong as Zarbon and Dodoria, and now Tagoma's at least as strong as the Ginyu Force. Hell, just make it vague and say that these guys are the strongest members of the Freeza army and that they've gone beyond even the strongest previous soldiers.

I mean, that ain't a great solution, but it's better than what they gave us.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
They were as strong as the Ginyu Force, but they trained for 4 months and are now stronger than Buu!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Momomo posted:

This makes a lot of sense and is what I was thinking too. (I haven't watched the RoF movie)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that scene with krillin being afraid was loving horseshit

gently caress toei and gently caress everyone whose okay with it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I am so mad about this children's cartoon I am going to go super saiyan

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"Guys why are they making my favourite character look bad and not a total badass"

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Krillin walks up to Frieza like a loving gangster and blasts that little punk in the face.

End of arc

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

So just saw the most recent episode and just like with RoF, it's aggravating to watch the fights unfold. There's no reason why most of the Z-fighters present should be struggling as much as they're doing with these scrubs. You could POSSIBLY argue that at least in Gohan's case, he's holding back cause he doesn't actually want to kill them, but Piccolo shouldn't have the same problem.

Now on some level, I understand why this is done the way it is. To have either Gohan or Piccolo turn the Freeza army into an ash heap in five seconds doesn't make for a long, or suspenseful episode(s)/movie. I get that. But at the same time, it's really drat hard to suspend your disbelief at the idea that characters with planet busting abilities would be having so much trouble with these low level lackeys.

It's the same problem the series has had since Goku defeated Freeza the first time around. Once you have the power to blow up an entire planet with a gesture, well it's really hard to have battles that top that. Which is why we have to have absurd things like characters wetting their pants when someone like Perfect Cell blasts a piece of land to create a crater the size of an average sports stadium ("His power...it's beyond measure!" *gawks and grunts for 20 minutes*). Hell, look at the first or second episode of Super, where Trunks (or was it Goten?) had to turn SSJ just to beat some stupid large snake. We are constantly being told that Characters are ostensibly getting stronger, even though their feats somehow become less and less impressive.

I suppose I should at least be somewhat thankful that Toei/Toriyama decided to come up with some excuse (despite it being rather bullshit as well) to show why Tagoma has become so powerful. But even then, he seems to be only stronger than the Ginyu force. And yet he's thrashing Piccolo with no effort whatsoever. Come on now.

I've started watching One Punch man recently (on episode 7 currently, and if you haven't seen it yet, please do so) and one thing I really like about that show is that the studio does a really good job of conveying how powerful and fast the characters (particularly Saitama of course) really are. The way Saitama punched through a massive cliff all the way through, or the way Speed of Sound Sonic moves around. They feel powerful and fast. That's something that's missing for the most part in DBZ.

Anyway, sorry just wanted to get that off my chest. /endrant

They're actually fixing that part of the movie; I think you're watching it wrong.

Tenshinhan and Piccolo are having no real problems with anyone. Gohan definitely isn't. The only person struggling at all is Roshi. Jaco only takes out one guy. This is different than the movie where they were flying around fighting for like 15 minutes with Roshi and Gohan expending like the same effort.

How much more powerful they were is shown by the Krillen PTSD scene. Krillen dodges them effortlessly without really paying any attention at all once he's actually attacked. It's also shown by Gohan, where, without powering up or going super at all, the second best guy's bearhug doesn't even phase him at all.

With Tagoma, just give him the bullshit Saiyan powerup brink of death thing (they don't necessarily have to be the only ones that have it). Freeza's training was specifically shown to be kicking Tagoma's rear end over and over again to the brink of death and him healing and repeat. If you handwave him as also having the Saiyan bullshit gene then 4 months straight of that, every day, by a much more powerful opponent (since that always scaled to who they were fighting at the time) got him to be around Buu level.

The scouter only says he's "above the Ginyu force." That's without him powering up, as Goten/Trunks only seem to notice him once he actually powers up.

Attacks are controlled in Dragon Ball. They normally do something to show you what they can do uncontrolled (ie. breaking apart the entire universe), and then show that they can negate the destruction or focus the energy when they're actually fighting and don't want to blow up everything around them. Super had an entire episode set up to basically explain that they are universal level now but learn how to control collateral damage while doing stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Comparing anything to One-Punch Man just isn't fair because One-Punch Man is perfect. Of course other stuff will fall short in comparison

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I haven't seen the latest DBS episodes yet, has Ginyu taken over someone's body yet or is he still a frog?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I haven't seen the latest DBS episodes yet, has Ginyu taken over someone's body yet or is he still a frog?

Still hoppin.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why did they give tagoma a personality if ginyu's just going to take his body and gently caress everything up?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why did they make roshis kamehameha an energy ball? how retarded do you have to be to live in japan and not know what a kamehameha looks like

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Dr Gohan will beat up cancer.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stairmaster posted:

what exactly was gohan supposed to do here, jump in and yell "NO SPOPOVICH BEAT THE LIVING poo poo OUT OF ME INSTEAD"

i mean that is basically the best outcome that could have resulted and i can see how that might not be an attractive option

Stairmaster posted:

that scene with krillin being afraid was loving horseshit

gently caress toei and gently caress everyone whose okay with it

actually it was rad, krillin is above chump tier now, why are you mad at this

Stairmaster posted:

why did they give tagoma a personality if ginyu's just going to take his body and gently caress everything up?

new tagoma is a dickhead who cares, bring back ginyu

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I liked that Krillin used that one attack from the Nappa fight. Also I like that Gohan got skewered the same way his dad & uncle did before. Nice saiyan saga nods. Looking forward to Ginyu & Gotenks.

Dragon Ball Super is a fun show.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
Can't wait for next week when Freeza recognises Trunks.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Was real hopeful when the baddies were super slow to krillin that it was a hint at his future super human god form

it's gonna happen, krillin was the toughest person beers ever fought

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I hope Ginyu mind swaps Gotenks. And he's stuck in their collective mind and he goes insane.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Uh, once Gotenks unfuses would Ginyu's mind be broken into two or would there be two Ginyus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

visceril posted:

Uh, once Gotenks unfuses would Ginyu's mind be broken into two or would there be two Ginyus?

Have we stumbled across a method for infinite Ginyu reproduction?

• Locked thread