Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Abortion is murder, but we shouldn't kill the murderers, but also the death penalty for murderers is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They push this kind of rhetoric because they have no fear of reciprocity or any kind of consequence for that matter.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

They push this kind of rhetoric because they have no fear of reciprocity or any kind of consequence for that matter.

They're not wrong.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trabisnikof posted:

They're not wrong.

Well yeah, they're the ones committing the terrorism. If they expected reprisal or other types of accountability then they'd probably walk it back.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Seems I'm having a Rashomon moment here, because that's not the way I remember it.

But of course that's what the Republican Party wants us to believe so it's easy to say that and not get any scrutiny whatsoever because "the truth is in the middle"!

Obama completely bungled his handling of Syria. If he felt that he needed to have congressional authorization prior to using military force against Assad he should have had that lined up prior to drawing a red line in the sand. While it was pretty funny for him to punt the responsibility for military action to the Congress, it was a simple case of passing the buck after his bluff was called. The whole thing made him look incompetent, and made the US look weak in the process.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Welllll

Essentially "This is terrorism because it makes us look bad"

Well yeah just like how Muslims only condemn suicide bombers because it makes it harder for them to enforce Sharia Law on the USA. Huckabee is being internally consistent with his views at least!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Armyman25 posted:

Obama completely bungled his handling of Syria. If he felt that he needed to have congressional authorization prior to using military force against Assad he should have had that lined up prior to drawing a red line in the sand. While it was pretty funny for him to punt the responsibility for military action to the Congress, it was a simple case of passing the buck after his bluff was called. The whole thing made him look incompetent, and made the US look weak in the process.

Seemingly everyone (willfully?) forgets that the infamous "red line" comment was an off the cuff response to a question some worthless reporter asked, which imo, is a bad thing to predicate a military intervention on. Also Congress deserves to have the buck passed to them because they're too dysfunctional to even pass an AUMF against ISIS while gnashing their teeth about the response to ISIS.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Blaming Obama for our handling of Syria is like blaming the doctor for a cancer patient refusing to stop smoking.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

JehovahsWetness posted:

Hey, I'm sure if we just took a moment to reflect we'd decide that everyone shares a little bit of the blame.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/261431-carson-both-sides-in-abortion-debate-need-to-tone-down

ISIS is bad but I think hateful rhetoric against Syrian refugees who have nothing to do with ISIS is just as bad. Both sides need to engage in civil discussion.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Abortion is murder, but we shouldn't kill the murderers, but also the death penalty for murderers is very good.

Well abortion providers are disproportionately white, no?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rexicon1 posted:

Blaming Obama for our handling of Syria is like blaming the doctor for a cancer patient refusing to stop smoking.
Also that patient's last doctor is at least partly responsible for the patient picking up the smoking habit in the first place

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It is amazing to both watch Republicans berate Obama for not doing enough without them while also calling him a wanna-be emperor trying to end the Republic.

But nah, let's not authorize military force because Obama wanted limited powers not an all powerful mandate that forever kicks congress out of the process.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rexicon1 posted:

but he wasn't persuasive enough!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

Cruz was on the debate team at whatever Ivy League he went to and he argued a case before the Supreme Court, albeit unsuccessfully. If it was him versus Clinton I wouldn't expect her to walk away with it.

Structured debate competitions aren't a great barometer of persuasive ability. They're more about tactics and preparation than charisma or speaking ability.

I mean, it's not like Cruz has been crushing it in the GOP debates.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jagchosis posted:

Seemingly everyone (willfully?) forgets that the infamous "red line" comment was an off the cuff response to a question some worthless reporter asked, which imo, is a bad thing to predicate a military intervention on. Also Congress deserves to have the buck passed to them because they're too dysfunctional to even pass an AUMF against ISIS while gnashing their teeth about the response to ISIS.

My biggest criticism is that Obama was very reluctant to provide support early on in the revolution before Syria got flushed with Islamist groups. This was the course of action recommended by at least the ambassador to Syria and I believe our intelligence services. However following Benghazi and Republicans whining he back off from doing anything until a few months/years later after Al-Nusra showed up and other similar groups flush with Saudi & Gulf States cash and took over the opposition forces which made it looks like any opposition to Assad was Taliban V2.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The only reasonable outcome is to completely conquer the Middle East an establish a Christian empire over the whole godless region. (Except Israel of course)

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Rexicon1 posted:

The only reasonable outcome is to completely conquer the Middle East an establish a Christian empire over the whole godless region. (Except Israel of course)

If only the pope wasn't such a beta bitch he could call a crusade and we could re-establish the Crusader States.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

My biggest criticism is that Obama was very reluctant to provide support early on in the revolution before Syria got flushed with Islamist groups. This was the course of action recommended by at least the ambassador to Syria and I believe our intelligence services. However following Benghazi and Republicans whining he back off from doing anything until a few months/years later after Al-Nusra showed up and other similar groups flush with Saudi & Gulf States cash and took over the opposition forces which made it looks like any opposition to Assad was Taliban V2.

We have an impeccable track record with arming revolutionary forces around the world. Great idea mr ambassador. No no let's give them a ton of training and arm them. I'm sure that this ambiguous revolutionary force that suits our short term needs won't radicalize violently in a way we can't predict.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

JehovahsWetness posted:

Hey, I'm sure if we just took a moment to reflect we'd decide that everyone shares a little bit of the blame.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/261431-carson-both-sides-in-abortion-debate-need-to-tone-down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TttI60-mjQ

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

No guarantee an intervention would have worked out that well, Syria was p much guaranteed to be a failed state after the war heated up. Optimistically it would wind up being a perpetual low intensity civil war like Libya is if Assad was toppled, which I guess is better than the status quo. But even if an intervention worked well it would definitely have hosed up detente with Iran, which I feel is more important in the long run. By the time the "red line" became an issue Syria was already proper hosed with Salafis everywhere anyway

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ted Cruz called the shooter a "transgendered leftist activist" according to this Texas Tribune reporter.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/671088191139639298

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ted Cruz called the shooter a "transgendered leftist activist" according to this Texas Tribune reporter.

Getting out in front to try to be a worse person than Trump.

Good luck with that, Ted.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
None of this is fun anymore

It's just sad and disgusting

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

gently caress this poo poo. Why can't they just stick with the mental illness, no true Christian poo poo?

Lessail posted:

None of this is fun anymore

It's just sad and disgusting

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

What the hell is this transgendered stuff? Is he actually trans or did the right finally spin into the stratosphere

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Let's start a database of protestants :twisted:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rexicon1 posted:

What the hell is this transgendered stuff? Is he actually trans or did the right finally spin into the stratosphere

Someone looked up his voter registration and it says female. That's the only reference I can find to that. It could be a clerical error for all anyone knows.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Someone looked up his voter registration and it says female. That's the only reference I can find to that. It could be a clerical error for all anyone knows.

Jesus loving piss

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know, I thought Fiorina tying the shooter to Black Lives Matter was a pretty impressive feat of false equivalency.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avQKLRGRhPU

He re-iterates the red line twice in his response and states that there will be "enormous consequences" if chemical weapons are used. And so far, the consequences to Assad for using chemical weapons have been what?

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 30, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

As a European it's always kind of funny when people complain something Obama said or did 'makes the US look weak' considering you've got the largest, most advanced, military force by a huge margin, god knows what the gently caress your agencies do covertly and whenever something happens in the world, wether it concerns you directly or not, all eyes are on you to see what your response will be.

eta:
And I mean, it's not like you've got a track record that somehow implies you're afraid to throw all that military weight around.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here are some of Carson's hottest brilliant thoughts on the Syrian refugees.

CBS News

quote:

"The Jordanians have done a yeoman's job in terms of putting up these camps. But the reason that the camps are not full is because they are not supported by the international community," he said. "It seems like everybody in the international community is spending more time saying 'How can we bring refugees here?' rather than [b'How can we support a facility that is already in place that the refugees are finding perfectly fine when it's adequately funded?'"[/b]

He added that Jordan could "take a lot more refugees" and that other nations in the Middle East should be asked to take in Syrians "so that you don't have to go through a big cultural change with them."

Carson said that the $3 billion shortfall in funding for refugee camps is "how much money we spent last year on Halloween candy."

"I believe that you know the entire international community could easily make up that $3 billion shortfall. My point in comparing it to the Halloween candy is to say that you know this is not a big deal," Carson said.

CNN News

quote:

"The thing that I really learned in listening to the refugees themselves is their intense desire is to return to their country and repatriated," Carson said.

"There's so many people who think the ideal for everybody is to come to America and be resettled here but that is not the ideal for everybody," he said. "And we need to be looking at mechanisms that already exist. Why do you want to recreate the wheel when you have something that's working? Let's maximize that and then let's think about if we need recreate other wheels."

Carson implied that the United States should spend more money aiding the refugee camps, rather than resettling small numbers of those refugees.

"They don't have enough money," he said. "You look at last year, there was a $3 billion shortfall. That's the same amount of money we spent last month on Halloween candy."

He said his trip was "about fact-finding -- about getting an opportunity to see firsthand without having things reinterpreted over something that is really important."

He said refugees told him that "their desire, their true desire is to be resettled in Syria."

He continued: "But they are satisfied to be in the refugee camps if the refugee camps are adequately funded. Recognize that in these camps they have schools, they have recreational facilities that are really quite nice. And their all kind of things that make life more tolerable. Would it be better to integrate them into society? Yes, and I've certainly talked to some people about that. But you have to make progress as you go."

He also appeared on ABC but, I can't find an article, just a video. I'm sure he repeated his Halloween candy and how the refugees love living in tent cities like prisoners of war. So the good doctor needs to just convince his good friends in the GOP to pony up $3 Billion dollars for people they hate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
we look weak to our enemies that hate our Freedom. Our Freedom Fries.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

The proper translation is miscarry, the "gives birth prematurely" was either a nicety added because miscarry is such a dirty word or it's a straight up political decision that cropped up after birth control came into existence.

A quick bible lesson by someone who studied it for 4 years (mostly a total waste):

- The idea of a "literal" bible being the inspired perfect Word of God is really bizarre and has only cropped up in the last couple hundred years. Most likely the source of this was when slavery really started picking up. Until that point, biblical scholars who studied the bible for context would have been vehemently against slavery because it pretty much violated what they had agreed was the core message of the bible, i.e. "love thy God and love thy neighbour - everything else rests on this." Combine that with the later apostles writing about how we must test every tenet of our faith in the light of loving our neighbours and you end up with actually a pretty progressive interpretation of the bible.

- Back to the slavers of the 17th/18th century. The overarching idea up to this point was what I wrote about above, that the bible is a very complicated book full of nuance and open to interpretation best left to theologians who had new ideas about the bible and what it means constantly. Knowing that, slavery seemed like a pretty bad idea. So they pulled a "Steve Martin at the Carnival in The Jerk" and isolated the few quotes in the bible from the Law that talked about how to treat your slaves, saying that means the bible supports slavery.

- Of course, the prevailing theory about the bible was that "some books are the law, some books are poetry, some books are stories all reaching the same desired idea". No one would honestly advocate following the laws in Exo/Lev/Deut/Num to the letter except for Orthodox Jews. It was well-understood in the old days that the book of Job had not literally happened and was basically a Jewish parable about how the prosperity gospel makes no sense, the book of Jonah likewise except Jonah is supposed to be a funny story (those old Israelites had a reallllly dry sense of humour). The idea of the bible being literally written by God would have been met with derision (though they did believe the Holy Spirit guided the original bible compilers so that only God's selected books made it in)

- So all of this leads to the modern version of Christianity, heavily neutered from its history, where biblical debates devolve into "yeah but Matthew 24:6! So? Job 14:19!" Every verse in the bible is given ridiculous importance and is read through whatever conceptions the person who wants to read it reads it as. I like to call this "apothecary Christianity" because when you go to a druggist in the states, next to the prescription counter there are all these books that say things like "Hmm, your son's gay? Well remind him that Ecclesiastes 3:12-22. Dying of Cancer? Well don't forget Zechariah 10:1." The book of Jeremiah is obviously a story meant to show that God has a plan for us and uses flowery hebrew hyperbole ("I knew you even in your mother's womb" is probably trimmed down from an earlier version of the text that went through a series of "I knew you when you were a teenager, I knew you when you were a boy, I knew you when you were a toddler, hell I even knew you when you were in the womb!") and the idea that that single verse was included as a polemic against abortion would have been met by the old biblical scholars with looks of "Get the gently caress out of here."

Anyway, so that's a quick primer - modern Christianity is a bastardised religion of Christianity and very few Americans to this day actually study the bible, but rather get told by right wing radio to believe something and then get told by "Christian" radio which verses back that up. The problem is, those Christian left-wingers who study the bible the old way are also pretty smart and figure out pretty soon that you don't need the bible at all to be progressive / humans are hard-wired to be altruistic, helpful people without a book of morals / and a lot of stuff in the bible is goofy, so they just become atheists and it's pretty hard to convert right wing Christians from their idolatry when you're coming at it from the point of God plain old not existing.

Go Now in Peace.

Thanks for the explanation.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Ugh, I'm already preparing for a repeat of the VP debates, where the media went off every time about whether or not Biden was "bullying" and whether or not Ryan/Palin was "doing well considering". :jerkbag:

It was still fun to watch Biden wipe the floor with everyone, but the "well, I guess it was a tie" :shrug: mentality kills me every time.

Actually after the the Ryan debate, I do recall the overall impression being in Biden's favor. Sure, you might have had a few beltway journalists give Ryan some brownie points, but it was a solid win (if you need any more proof, just see the conservative reaction afterwards which was basically; HOW COULD THAT BULLY BIDEN BE SO MEAN TO THE INNOCENT WIDDLE PAUL RYAN :qq:)

deoju posted:

Cruz was on the debate team at whatever Ivy League he went to and he argued a case before the Supreme Court, albeit unsuccessfully. If it was him versus Clinton I wouldn't expect her to walk away with it.

There has to be some special rules or something involved in the debates Cruz was involved with in college, cause I've seen the guy for the past 3 years and he comes off as one of the most incompetent, high profile politicians I've seen. I've said it before, but the guy can't even pull of the pseudo intellectual facade that you could get from Paul Ryan or Newt Gingrich. His arguments always come down to the most facile things like "constitution" and "Jesus". Look at how he does against Chris Matthews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StGzhLCKkkY

JehovahsWetness posted:

If only both sides would tone things down and make polite, uncontroversial, non-inflammatory references like to slavery, the Holocaust, etc.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Is Fiorina still relevant?

Despite that, Fiorina has stood by the statement, issuing a series of videos that ostensibly backed her claims.

NO IT loving DIDN'T

SHE ACTUALLY CUT AND SPLICED HER OWN loving FOOTAGE TO CORROBORATE HER DUMBASS CLAIM

THAT'S THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF "BACKING UP" HER CLAIMS :psyboom:

Why doesn't this get trotted out more than it does? It's breathtaking the level of deception Fiorina's engaged in.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jack2142 posted:

If only the pope wasn't such a beta bitch he could call a crusade and we could re-establish the Crusader States.

That's what Supreme Inquisitor Huckabee wants for sure.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

radical meme posted:

Here are some of Carson's hottest brilliant thoughts on the Syrian refugees.

CBS News

CNN News

He also appeared on ABC but, I can't find an article, just a video. I'm sure he repeated his Halloween candy and how the refugees love living in tent cities like prisoners of war. So the good doctor needs to just convince his good friends in the GOP to pony up $3 Billion dollars for people they hate.

Why don't the Gulf States or the Saudi's pony up the dough? It's peanuts to them anyway.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Armyman25 posted:

Why don't the Gulf States or the Saudi's pony up the dough? It's peanuts to them anyway.

Because it's not even a realistic solution to the humanitarian crisis the refugees are going through. Carson is suggesting internment camps are a good solution to a crisis that could go on for years.

edit: were you being sarcastic? i hope you were being sarcastic.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 30, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Assuming this dude is in fact transgendered, is there any other basis for him/her being a "leftist activist".

And even if all that were true, why would said transgendered leftist activist shoot up a Planned Parenthood facility?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Considering everything else, it's quite likely that he just put Female to mess with any gubmint officials and make their lives harder

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
And even if the shooter is transgender, why do they keep acting like this will all of a sudden make leftists switch to his side? He shot up a medical clinic because of lovely propaganda. That's indefensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

And that tweet perfectly encapsulates how lazy and facile right-wing arguments are. As if supposedly being on the same team as Democrats would make the acts of said person less horrific to Democrats.

It's the same moronic logic that conservatives use when arguing about slavery and how Abraham Lincoln was a Republican.

Who gives a poo poo what the labels are? Actions are far more important.

edit: heh, somewhat beaten by Puggernaut. :hfive:

• Locked thread