Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That stinger after the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I always liked how Saitama handled the flames. I kinda wish everyone would be that chill wrt to internet fights.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

when saitama tells licenselesss-rider "nice fight"... that gets me every time

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terper posted:

Some of you are absolutely insane :psyduck: The animation at the start was absolutely fantastic.

They're comparing it to the continuously improved perfection of the Muratra version. A couple of chapters ago he included literal animation in an update for the webcomic version because gently caress it. Which he almost always redraws for the print version.

Like I think he got bored on day so he did this as practice or something:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I just noticed the little spinning crown :allears:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

when saitama tells licenselesss-rider "nice fight"... that gets me every time

Same

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I think my favorite part was the little bobble on Saitama's head when Sea King punched him.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

I think my favorite part was the little bobble on Saitama's head when Sea King punched him.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Help

I'm dying

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I didn't mind the way it flowed and having the hate mail lead into it was different while still being good in it's own right.
Eh, I disagree. I mean, it still gets the job done, sure - it's not ruined forever or anything - but the way the manga handled it had way more impact.

Saitama defeating the Sea King is a real emotional high. By the time it happens we've been properly prepared to hate the Sea King while hoping Saitama will finally be recognized. It's a great mixture of relief and triumph. Then that one bozo speaks up and sours the mood, and for the first time in a long time Saitama decides to do something truly selfless and sabotages his own reputation so that those who gave everything to defend the people won't get trampled on. The box of letters arriving afterwards punctuates the whole thing, adding insult to injury, only for Saitama to shrug it off. In that moment you can really tell he's grown as a person.

Cutting from the Sea King's defeat to a few days later, then back again, interrupts the emotional high of Saitama's victory while softening the blow of that one dude's comments. It also sorta spoils the reveal that Saitama has yet again been denied his due, while presenting the resolution of his character arc before we get to experience it personally. Even if you don't think it was a bad change, it still wasn't an improvement so I'm not sure why they did it that way.

OPM is primarily a comedy, but I still think it's kinda lame to suck the wind out of the sails of a genuinely emotional moment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gothmog1065 posted:

The best thing about that is his face goes into ONEmode, from his semiserious mode.

It wasn't even a hard enough punch for him to give a poo poo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

They're comparing it to the continuously improved perfection of the Muratra version. A couple of chapters ago he included literal animation in an update for the webcomic version because gently caress it. Which he almost always redraws for the print version.

Like I think he got bored on day so he did this as practice or something:

SMH at you not showing the knuckle

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

SMH at you not showing the knuckle

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

knuckle lust

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Bad Seafood posted:

OPM is primarily a comedy, but I still think it's kinda lame to suck the wind out of the sails of a genuinely emotional moment.

I agree they made a few missteps with this arc. Strange additions, omissions, and rearrangements, sucking some of the emotional punch out of the moment for no reason.

Still, considering the hype and how good those of us who have been spoiled hard by how good the Murata Manga was, it still had its soul. Its not the perfection we hoped, but its good.

That NEET, despite how much everyone hates him, was actually critical to the whole dramatic arc.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 30, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Eh, I disagree. I mean, it still gets the job done, sure - it's not ruined forever or anything - but the way the manga handled it had way more impact.

Saitama defeating the Sea King is a real emotional high. By the time it happens we've been properly prepared to hate the Sea King while hoping Saitama will finally be recognized. It's a great mixture of relief and triumph. Then that one bozo speaks up and sours the mood, and for the first time in a long time Saitama decides to do something truly selfless and sabotages his own reputation so that those who gave everything to defend the people won't get trampled on. The box of letters arriving afterwards punctuates the whole thing, adding insult to injury, only for Saitama to shrug it off. In that moment you can really tell he's grown as a person.

Cutting from the Sea King's defeat to a few days later, then back again, interrupts the emotional high of Saitama's victory while softening the blow of that one dude's comments. It also sorta spoils the reveal that Saitama has yet again been denied his due, while presenting the resolution of his character arc before we get to experience it personally. Even if you don't think it was a bad change, it still wasn't an improvement so I'm not sure why they did it that way.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Berk Berkly posted:

That NEET, despite how much everyone hates him, was actually critical to the whole dramatic arc.

...Nobody said he wasn't?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Berk Berkly posted:

I agree they made a few missteps with this arc. Strange additions, omissions, and rearrangements, sucking some of the emotional punch out of the moment for no reason.

Still, considering the hype and how good those of us who have been spoiled hard by how good the Murata Manga was, it still had its soul. Its not the perfection we hoped, but its good.
For sure.

Let me also just say that Genos' fight with the Sea King was totally sweet, as was Rider's last stand.

"I know I can't defeat you. I know it better than anyone. But if I don't try to stop you, who will?" :gbsmith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, this is definitely already my pick for anime of the year, even in a year that had Jojo.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone think Genos might have had a chance to win if he hadn't blocked that acid spit? He seemed to be holding up against the Sea King pretty well, even with the missing arm.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Does anyone think Genos might have had a chance to win if he hadn't blocked that acid spit? He seemed to be holding up against the Sea King pretty well, even with the missing arm.

The author's on record as saying he would in fact have won had he not done that.

E: Scratch that, the author said Sonic would've won had he had his weapons with him at the time. Genos is pretty strong though, and considering he powered the Sea King down from his super mode he probably would've won.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

He would have needed to keep him out of the rain long enough to exhaust the Sea King's hydration to or land an overwhelming blow like Saitama. Perhaps if he had both arms and did a fully powered blast like against the Meteor it would have been enough to disintegrate him. However, the dude was a lightning bruiser with serious self-healing factor, that only got stronger in the rain and would have probably continued to pull Genos apart or hit him with spit later anyway.

So its a "If Genos knows what he does now, possibly, otherwise probably not"

TheKingofSprings posted:

The author's on record as saying he would in fact have won had he not done that.

I believe he said that Sonic with his weapons could defeat the lesser version of Sea King, but not the fully hydrated and powered up version.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 30, 2015

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Scratch that, the author said Sonic would've won had he had his weapons with him at the time. Genos is pretty strong though, and considering he powered the Sea King down from his super mode he probably would've won.

I thought he got powered down because he was fighting inside the dome, so he dried out again.

This show makes me feel the same way DBZ did when I was 12.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Win? That's hard to say, given that he didn't do lasting damage. However, outside of blocking the Sea King and getting his arm ripped off by surprise, he didn't really take any notable damage himself, so he probably could have held the Sea King off for a while if nothing else. He definitely put up the best fight of anyone but Saitama. Sonic did alright too, really.

Fake Edit: And beaten. Oh well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Parallax posted:

I thought he got powered down because he was fighting inside the dome, so he dried out again.

This show makes me feel the same way DBZ did when I was 12.

Genos' flame cannon dried him out.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Sea King's ultimate form makes the "oh, it stopped raining" reaction from Saitama that much better tbh

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The one thing I'm sorta disappointed about was the sequence where the Sea King grabs Genos and tosses him into the wall wasn't done like the original. That was such a wonderful scene.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
im gunna not watch the next 4 episodes until the series is over. cheers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's only three more but regardless that's probably a sensible choice.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Genos arm got hosed up in pretty much every single fight so far. I mean, he takes a lot of punishment in general, but the arm ripping sticks out.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I wonder when Genos will win a fight.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

e X posted:

Genos arm got hosed up in pretty much every single fight so far. I mean, he takes a lot of punishment in general, but the arm ripping sticks out.

There is literally no other point in having robot arms in fiction.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

He beat the gorilla cyborg.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

e X posted:

Well, it's kinda Piccolo's thing.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

I hope he never does

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Genos takes on the role of Worf. He'll never win a fight when it matters unless he expressly needs to.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Clarste posted:

There is literally no other point in having robot arms in fiction.

Reminds me of a superhero webcomic which lampoons superhero tropes.

http://i.imgur.com/B3JzeJ3.jpg]

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's like Wolverine always being the one getting the brunt of any brutal attacked. But I am talking less about Genos being beaten up to get the villain over and more about that they always go for the arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Surprisingly Dope posted:

im gunna not watch the next 4 episodes until the series is over. cheers.

Cheers.

• Locked thread