Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

n3wt posted:

He wrote co-wrote Tropic Thunder too. :vince:

Da gently caress? :vince: indeed.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

You didn't recognize him as the Evil DJ during the breakdance fight in the original?

I haven't seen Zoolander in years... and definitely not since I became aware of who Theroux was. The rabbit hole goes deeper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Personal anecdote: when someone you've known for a while says out of the blue--or maybe while watching Jeopardy--that he's been on Jeopardy, it has an impact. At least that's the way I remember it when I heard that in my life from someone.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Give Ann Dowd all the emmys imo

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I thought more about that on the rewatch. My theory is the hotel is a place where other people on similar missions were in action. They seemed to be meeting in the parking garage just like Kevin and his guide and not wanting anyone to hear what they were talking about.

Isn't this actually made pretty clear during the episode? Neal (the only person Kevin meets, aside from Patti and Virgil, who doesn't seem to be drinking the water) tells Kevin that everyone in the hotel has either forgotten who they are or are doing quests of their own. Kevin's dad also tells him that he was in the same room, so I'd say it's pretty explicitly spelled that the hotel is a place where people come to excise their demons.

BonoMan posted:

I really wish they wouldn't have buried him and had him dig himself out. I can buy it all being a bit "is it/isn't it" until that part which is really REALLY implausible.

This is a minor problem with this show in my opinion. A lot of stuff is presented ambiguously, except not really since there's always just slightly more evidence in favor of a supernatural explanation. I don't really have a problem with it, but it is starting to feel a little bit transparent.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Goddamn, why didn't any of you guys pm me to tell me this show did a complete 180?

I was saving up the episodes to watch over Christmas Break, but between job interviews, parent-teacher, and regional no-school days, I've had no work this week, so I binged on this show all day.

The first scene with the Murphy's won me over right away, but this entire season has been top notch and I'm amazed at how it's turned around.

John is a great character and emits fear while being super neighborly. I like how all of the police officers react to him with fear and it's the Fire Dept (that John has filled with his old prison friends? Those guys all look sketchy) that runs the town.

There was more of one of the coolest and creepiest parts of last season, that society has begun to rot away and we occasionally glimpse it in the break down of the Bureaucracy. There's something absolutely chilling about scenes like the adoption official that are set up in a traditional way only to throw in lines like

quote:

Would you adopt another baby? We have a little boy here available, the problem is he's White. :geno:

and law enforcement not caring about suspicious deaths. The sturdy, organized, emotionless machine is losing it's mind unexpectedly hits me as terrifying.

Tombdust
Aug 18, 2009

Known to attract ravenous hordes of undead dust mites

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Wayne's face when Patty tells him she was joking about the shooting especially. Also there was a shot when Kevin is following the balloon guy, his face comes around a corner really quick and serious-like. Had me chuckling.

Loved that part too!

http://i.imgur.com/M2HBPQy.webm

http://i.imgur.com/iZJLE31.webm

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hated every dream sequence of The Sopranos, but I was glued to my screen watching this episode

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

You did. Kevin walked by both of them

Explain

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tombdust posted:

Loved that part too!

Next pay period I'm totally making this into a smilie

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BonoMan posted:

Next pay period I'm totally making this into a smilie

It's WAY better than :lost: and could replace it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm glad we got another Matt "Ned Flanders" Jamison God's Punching Bag episode

Edit: Also, as bad as it was to see Liv Tyler again, I guess it could have been a bit worse going by the wiki

quote:

In the novel, Meg's last name is Lomax.
On the files acquired by the Guilty Remnant, Meg's last name was listed as Solomon. ("Pilot")

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 27, 2015

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's WAY better than :lost: and could replace it.

You shut your whore mouth! JK, but seriously LOST has earned it's place in TV and Smilies history.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

You shut your whore mouth! JK, but seriously LOST has earned it's place in TV and Smilies history.

Agreed, wtf

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Paradoxish posted:

Isn't this actually made pretty clear during the episode? Neal (the only person Kevin meets, aside from Patti and Virgil, who doesn't seem to be drinking the water) tells Kevin that everyone in the hotel has either forgotten who they are or are doing quests of their own. Kevin's dad also tells him that he was in the same room, so I'd say it's pretty explicitly spelled that the hotel is a place where people come to excise their demons.

Yes, the premise that the hotel is a place for that is made clear and I addressed the Neal info in my edit. But I was replying to a question about the spanish speaking organ transplant lady in specific.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If the Hotel scene had happened earlier in the season I would have predicted that the last scene of the season would have been Kevin having a new head friend, not sure about that at this point...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still can't get over Virgil's delivery of his lines when he says he drank the water because he was just so thirsty. I don't know why, it was so perfectly spoken and such a strange thing to say.

Also the Patti finally telling Kevin she was scared at the bottom of the well. The music kicking up. And how do you even show anybody the scene out of context, you need to understand so much to know why it's so great. Fuckin wicked payoff.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 28, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I still can't get over Virgil's delivery of his lines when he says he drank the water because he was just so thirsty. I don't know why, it was so perfectly spoken and such a strange thing to say.

Yeah, the delivery was great: confused, then sort of panicked confused, like he has a vauge memory of why it was important not to drink the water, with the disturbing line "I... I was just so thirsty...."

Louis did a great job on thd response, too.

I still cannot get over the complete turn around of thus show. Were there significant changes in the Writers?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, the delivery was great: confused, then sort of panicked confused, like he has a vauge memory of why it was important not to drink the water, with the disturbing line "I... I was just so thirsty...."

I don't know why but he really reminded me of the elderly room service dude from Twin Peaks in that scene.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

I still cannot get over the complete turn around of thus show. Were there significant changes in the Writers?
Release from the book, mainly. I think the first season was good poo poo though.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Didn't they get a new executive producer this season?

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

They decided to go to mainly POV episodes as the first season's most intense (and well received) episodes were POV: Matt, Nora...
I definitely like this format as we get deep into a characters head for the whole episode instead of getting snippets along the way, it jacks up the emotional impact of decisions even if it can be a little complicated to figure out the timeline of events overall. I have no clue about how the timeline of the mother and son doing their cult deprogramming thing (which seemed to be weeks if not months) compares to the Garveys being in Miracle. Not even sure how much time has passed since their arrival in Miracle - 3 weeks to a month?

ah here's the article
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/damon-lindelof-i-was-really-depressed-writing-leftovers-season-1

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

This is a minor problem with this show in my opinion. A lot of stuff is presented ambiguously, except not really since there's always just slightly more evidence in favor of a supernatural explanation. I don't really have a problem with it, but it is starting to feel a little bit transparent.

I disagree. For example, the whole "did you put neosporin on it?" in the hotel sequence is word for word what Jill's friend said to him during season 1. That's dialogue that has no metaphysical relevance, but would appear in a dream.
Just like the being buried part: Virgil's grandson is shown wearing the same clothes as earlier when Kevin wakes up, which indicates that the time he was buried was unspecified, but relatively short.

Just like there are many moments you can go "this is just too much of a coincidence to not be supernatural," there are many that you go "this is too much in Kevin's mind to be supernatural."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not finished the article yet, but I'm kind of glad he outright mentions that something is going on in Australia.

Season 3 plot, maybe?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, Season 1 hosed a lot of people up

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

You did. Kevin walked by both of them

I didn't pay close enough attention to find the other outfits though, but they're probably in there somewhere.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zsinjeh posted:

I didn't pay close enough attention to find the other outfits though, but they're probably in there somewhere.

The GR white outfit is right behind the cop so the only one left is the priest which I know somebody mentioned earlier.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

On the elevator, crying

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Professor Shark posted:

On the elevator, crying
I thought the idea was that it's Kevin using all the suits, he's exploring all the different outcomes simultaneously. So the masked policeman is Kevin under the hood, which made me not think the Priest is 'him' since it's very clearly someone else.

But maybe that's too on the nose or Lost-y

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

I thought the idea was that it's Kevin using all the suits, he's exploring all the different outcomes simultaneously. So the masked policeman is Kevin under the hood, which made me not think the Priest is 'him' since it's very clearly someone else.

But maybe that's too on the nose or Lost-y

So where did Kevin get those tattoos? :lost:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Trying to figure out the timeline here, I'm guessing that this trip to Miracle is Meg before she joined GR.

I thought maybe she was doing some infiltration for GR if this was present day.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 30, 2015

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
Ohhhh you unholy bitch.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Vortex Street posted:

Ohhhh you unholy bitch.

"The incident with the dogs"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ahhh, Meg.... you and your drugs.

Edit: Yes, someone mentioned that the departure was two years ago (from when Meg was visiting Jarden). Season 1 takes place 3 years afterwards.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 30, 2015

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

tomapot posted:

"The incident with the dogs"

Actually I meant the kids, but both suck.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Vortex Street posted:

Actually I meant the kids, but both suck.

Figured that, but loved that phrase, make me wonder what they did.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

God. drat. "...being your living reminder." Matt is the best character.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The best episode ending.

Jesus loving crunchy christ.

How does this show keep doing it?!?

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

Ahahahhaha I knew it. gently caress Meg.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The best episode ending.

Jesus loving crunchy christ.

How does this show keep doing it?!?

One episode left, looks epic!

Vortex Street posted:

Ahahahhaha I knew it. gently caress Meg.

This

tomapot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Remember in the season premiere when all the girls got in the car together after their swim and it was dead silence the entire ride home?

It all makes sense now.

• Locked thread