Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Loved that episode - managed to call the time loop early (with the shovels) but that just made it more fun.

I was honestly expecting Clara to turn around and look something like this:

But I was glad it was just his memory of her :3: Think we'll end next week's episode with a new companion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

remusclaw posted:

What are the time frames on Doctor 1 and 3 dying? If I remember right, 3 floated around poisoned for quite a while, and 1, well any number of things could have led to his batteries finally running out.

Yeah, people were upset about Ten going for weeks without regenerating, while forgetting that Three floated around in the TARDIS for weeks after suffering from radiation poisoning. The precedent for a not immediate regeneration had been established in the classic series.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, people were upset about Ten going for weeks without regenerating, while forgetting that Three floated around in the TARDIS for weeks after suffering from radiation poisoning. The precedent for a not immediate regeneration had been established in the classic series.

I always like it when people talk about "precedent" being set in Doctor Who, as if the show is like the law or theology.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Capaldi also was not regenerating here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There was literally a line establishing that he was too injured to regenerate

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Hybrid poo poo aside I absolutely loved that episode, probably my favourite of Capaldi's run so far.

I definitely got the Dark Souls vibe, not just in the visuals but in the sense of isolation as well. Loved it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, it was stated that regeneration was simply not an option.

But don't expect Doctor Who to make sense regarding regeneration. Eleven was supposedly the truly final draw in the deck, but when he was shot at Lake Silencio he started to regenerate. This is likely because they don't write this stuff out quite that far.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Though of course, the Shot Doctor at the lake wasn't actually him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Also that was a robot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Not even the Doctor can escape a chronic hysteretic loop!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Four spent all of Logopolis knowing he was about to regenerate.

quote:

The Watcher!
He was the Doctor the whole time!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Six however, he went pretty quick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

remusclaw posted:

Six however, he went pretty quick.

Still the greatest crime in Doctor Who history.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

You don't know how long he was on that bike.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rhyno posted:

Four spent all of Logopolis knowing he was about to regenerate.

Now do I remember right, but does the Doctor actually at one point early in the story just straight up walk up to the Watcher to ask,"The gently caress is this all about?"? Though we don't get to hear their conversation, I recall him coming back slightly stunned and a little morose because he's basically been told,"Yeah, you're about to die dude :shrug:"

And then, being the Doctor, he soldiers on and gets poo poo done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Now do I remember right, but does the Doctor actually at one point early in the story just straight up walk up to the Watcher to ask,"The gently caress is this all about?"? Though we don't get to hear their conversation, I recall him coming back slightly stunned and a little morose because he's basically been told,"Yeah, you're about to die dude :shrug:"

And then, being the Doctor, he soldiers on and gets poo poo done.

He leaves Adric and walks up to talk to him but we never hear a word of it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

remusclaw posted:

What are the time frames on Doctor 1 and 3 dying? If I remember right, 3 floated around poisoned for quite a while, and 1, well any number of things could have led to his batteries finally running out.

Also let me tell you about a little something called Season 6b. :allears:

Speaking of which, why are there no Season 6b audios with Frazer?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

He leaves Adric and walks up to talk to him but we never hear a word of it.

Yeah that's how I remembered it, just wasn't sure if I was just making up things in my own head or not :)

I do wonder how many who were watching at the time either had seen or remembered that the Third Doctor's final story featured another Time Lord who had reached a point where a psychic projection of his own future regeneration was able to exist and interact with others. I really dug that the 4th Doctor ends up doing a slighter cruder version of the same thing his old mentor showed him.

I did see the Third Doctor's final story as a kid (that giant spider terrified me) and then years later Tom Baker's, but I didn't make the connection between the two until I did a full series rewatch a few years ago.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Davros1 posted:

They can use them because they're playing BBC created characters, but I'm not sure about anything else from the TVM. Example, BF can't use Grace or Chang Lee.

I thought they used a sound clip from the TV movie when Professor Yana is hearing things from the chameleon arch? Or am I mistaken?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that's how I remembered it, just wasn't sure if I was just making up things in my own head or not :)

I do wonder how many who were watching at the time either had seen or remembered that the Third Doctor's final story featured another Time Lord who had reached a point where a psychic projection of his own future regeneration was able to exist and interact with others. I really dug that the 4th Doctor ends up doing a slighter cruder version of the same thing his old mentor showed him.

I did see the Third Doctor's final story as a kid (that giant spider terrified me) and then years later Tom Baker's, but I didn't make the connection between the two until I did a full series rewatch a few years ago.

I really hope they use that plot element again in the future. It's a really cool idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

echoplex posted:

Re: people saying the current TARDIS isn't a very good dramatic space or that it isn't used properly:

That, and all the various shutdown/start up sequence lights were lovely. Shame some of the impact screens we did didn't show up but the shots were great.

The only time it becomes an issue is when they shoot from above looking down and the handrails get int he way. Maybe make the rails removable and it would make those shots cleaner?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

The only time it becomes an issue is when they shoot from above looking down and the handrails get int he way. Maybe make the rails removable and it would make those shots cleaner?

But then people would crow about HURR CONTINUITY ERRORS THERE SHOULD BE A RAIL THERE UNLESS THEY SHOWED IT BEING REMOVED

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So that was Steven Moffat doing The Prestige in a castle that's the child of the one in Ico and Gormenghast. I was curious why there was a bunch of writing on the wall early on in the episode, that's neither commented on nor brought up again. Even BIRD got a callback.

The Doctor's done it, he's finally burned through more clones than Duncan Idaho.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Jet Jaguar posted:

So that was Steven Moffat doing The Prestige in a castle that's the child of the one in Ico and Gormenghast. I was curious why there was a bunch of writing on the wall early on in the episode, that's neither commented on nor brought up again. Even BIRD got a callback.

The Doctor's done it, he's finally burned through more clones than Duncan Idaho.

Does this mean the Doctor is going to become the Kwisatz Haderach? ...That explains all of the Sherlock-like mathematical bullshit he does now.

This episode reminded me a lot of both Dark Souls and Gormenghast and now I'd unsavory things to see a miniseries based on Titus Groan with an actual budget. This was a drat good episode of television.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

...That explains all of the Sherlock-like mathematical bullshit he does now.

That is just a problem of our times and pop culture. Try an find a genius character who doesn't do that poo poo these day's, it loving impossible. Makes honest to goodness geniuses who actually have to take their time and work things out look like slow nitwits.

It's an issue of modern story telling really, cant have a lull, got to keep moving, no time for lab scenes or working out the details. They burn through multiple stories worth of ideas in single episodes now and it doesn't look likely to change any time soon, if anything, at least its hard to get bored.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
welp. that was a hell of a thing. Peter Capaldi's been given ample opportunities to show off, and this was his greatest showcase yet.

Part of me is kind of disappointed that he didn't REALLY die over and over and over again - or at least I think that's the implication given that he came out of the confession dial. Or maybe it's sort of a pocket universe, where not only is it bigger on the inside, but time passes at a different rate, meaning very little time has passed in the real universe.

It's interesting that there was this trap within the confession dial, and it calls certain things into question, especially Missy having it in The Magician's Apprentice.

ALSO I was channel surfing last night and came upon something airing on a PBS affiliate. I recognized...hey...oh my god this is classic Doctor Who, isn't it? and so I watched Parts 3 and 4 of Attack of the Cybermen. wooooow, that was bad. Colin Baker was pretty okay, at least, but he had nobody to play off of. Also, both the Cybermen and Cryons had really muffled voices, so it was nigh on impossible to know what they were saying much of the time.
The plotting seemed exceptionally clumsy, especially with the explosive material that could go off and explode everything at any moment, but the Doctor didn't seem THAT concerned that either him or cute useless girl companion would die. Cute Useless Companion Girl also had the WORST floating accent.
The only good standout moment is when the Cryon (and oh my god, that name, agh) tells the Doctor the Cybermen are trying to alter the timeline to save Mondas, he's like "uh, they can't do that, the Time Lords would stop it". And then she's like WELL HERE YOU ARE, and The Doctor throws a fit and starts cursing out the Time Lords.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Spatula City posted:

Part of me is kind of disappointed that he didn't REALLY die over and over and over again - or at least I think that's the implication given that he came out of the confession dial.
I thought they made it apparent that he really did die over and over again, he just kept making a copy of himself.

That was fantastic, wonderfully dark, and an amazing character study of determination. It's the first time A delightfully smug free 40 minutes of cool things happening and interesting ideas. Here's hoping the next episode doesn't get too zany with this prophecy nonsense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

I was curious why there was a bunch of writing on the wall early on in the episode, that's neither commented on nor brought up again.

I noticed that when I was giffing, but I couldn't make out what it said - maybe echoplex might be able to say what it was, a bit that got excised in editing? A holdover from an earlier draft of the script? Actual writing that's on the wall of wherever they did any location shooting (if they did) that accidentally got left in?

Spatula City posted:

ALSO I was channel surfing last night and came upon something airing on a PBS affiliate. I recognized...hey...oh my god this is classic Doctor Who, isn't it? and so I watched Parts 3 and 4 of Attack of the Cybermen. wooooow, that was bad.

Yeah that's bad luck, it's a pretty awful story unfortunately.

Spatula City posted:

The only good standout moment is when the Cryon (and oh my god, that name, agh) tells the Doctor the Cybermen are trying to alter the timeline to save Mondas, he's like "uh, they can't do that, the Time Lords would stop it". And then she's like WELL HERE YOU ARE, and The Doctor throws a fit and starts cursing out the Time Lords.

I forgot all about this, that's so great :allears:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm watching The Time Meddler, because why the hell wouldn't I be, and it's still an extremely slick piece of 60s TV. The part where Steven finds a wristwatch in what's supposed to be 11th century England is so great, and would go over as is just as well in the show today.

Incidentally, I can totally imagine Hartnell going through the puzzle castle and whacking the diamond wall with his cane. He'd have got it done in half the time, too. "That's a, a hell of a bird, hmmm?"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Forktoss posted:

I'm watching The Time Meddler, because why the hell wouldn't I be, and it's still an extremely slick piece of 60s TV. The part where Steven finds a wristwatch in what's supposed to be 11th century England is so great, and would go over as is just as well in the show today.

Incidentally, I can totally imagine Hartnell going through the puzzle castle and whacking the diamond wall with his cane. He'd have got it done in half the time, too. "That's a, a hell of a bird, hmmm?"

"Pay attention, Wrap."

"It's Wraith."

"Don't interrupt!"

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Forktoss posted:

I watched all of the first doctors run last year (except the missing stuff) and Hartnell is so :allears: :allears: :allears:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

has anyone gathered when the red button is around for previous episodes?
i just looked at the witch's familiar and it's definitely there so i'm wondering if it's a constant deal

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It really bears repeating how this episode was Capaldi's moment. Every Doctor has one of those: "Body's wearing a bit thin," "Have I the right," "Ten billion years, that's what it takes," etc. Twenty years from now we will talk about Capaldi punching the wall as our memory of Twelve. He defined his entire run in that one episode, and it's amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

I noticed that when I was giffing, but I couldn't make out what it said - maybe echoplex might be able to say what it was, a bit that got excised in editing? A holdover from an earlier draft of the script? Actual writing that's on the wall of wherever they did any location shooting (if they did) that accidentally got left in?

Someone on Reddit says its the script from the opening moments, but I couldn't make it out to verify.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jet Jaguar posted:

I was curious why there was a bunch of writing on the wall early on in the episode, that's neither commented on nor brought up again. Even BIRD got a callback.

Jerusalem posted:

If you have a screencap to confirm that'll be nice, but if it's at the start in the curved bit of corridor that surrounds the teleport chamber, then yes - Peter's speech about "as you come into this world" (or whatever it was) was done as time-consuming stencils painted on the wall which the camera was supposed to pan down along. I was off on a break at that point but if I remember right it turned out that giving enough space for only a paragraph to appear at a time, the speech went literally right to the floor so it was impossible to film the way they wanted, so we did another set of stencils ready for a reshoot/pickup. I realised on my last day there that that never happened. I did wonder what the deal with that was, doing it as a voice-over definitely worked better.

The teleport chamber, the rounded corridor outside it, the long corridor at the start where he gets cornered, the bedroom and the garden were all setbuilds - everything else was location from memory. The garden was a really nice little set.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 30, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, people were upset about Ten going for weeks without regenerating, while forgetting that Three floated around in the TARDIS for weeks after suffering from radiation poisoning

The Third Doctor floated around for weeks in the TARDIS about to die, Ten went around getting people to tell him he was amazing

Vanderdeath posted:

That explains all of the Sherlock-like mathematical bullshit he does now.
Mathematical bullshit?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks echoplex, but even with that explanation you should brace yourself for finding out in twenty years that somebody wrote a book to "explain" the mystery of the writing on the wall - somehow it will involve Ace in a leotard.

Chokes McGee posted:

"Pay attention, Wrap."

"It's Wraith."

"Don't interrupt!"

"What is it? What do you want? Hybrid, hmmm? (waves hand dismissively) Ha! Hybrid, nonsense sheer nonsense!"
wanders off and somehow walks right out of the trap without a problem

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

netcat posted:

I watched all of the first doctors run last year (except the missing stuff) and Hartnell is so :allears: :allears: :allears:

If you love Hartnell you should watch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Adventure_in_Space_and_Time , a fake in period documentary on the creation of Doctor Who. It is awesome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Those are some amazing sets, then. I assumed it was all location shooting, with the possible exception of the garden because of the digging involved. The whole thing was wonderfully atmospheric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

a fake in period documentary on the creation of Doctor Who.

Huh? It's a period biopic, not a documentary.

• Locked thread