Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Is there a way to make leveling fun? It's frustrating that in most MMOs (including this one), leveling is simply too "easy". There's no challenge in face-rolling mobs. What's a way to make this somewhat more challenging?

1) Get drunk/high irl
2) Take off your clothes (ingame)
3) Equip a white quality vendor weapon only

happy travels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Vargs posted:

How'd the new armor/weapon skin situation end up working out in HoT anyways? People were predicting a lot of ugly plant sets. Does HoT even have much in the way of new skins at all?

It's pretty much all garbage and there isn't much of it.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

I look like cotton candy had sex with an anime.

Bonus thief makeover pic

Lonk fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 29, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Is there a way to make leveling fun? It's frustrating that in most MMOs (including this one), leveling is simply too "easy". There's no challenge in face-rolling mobs. What's a way to make this somewhat more challenging?

Level only using Action Mode.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

CrusherEAGLE posted:

don't play MMOs.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

CrusherEAGLE posted:

GW2 isn't really designed for you to sit around and grind through mobs 'til 80. The XP from killing mobs is okay, but it's not much different between zones. So you're much better off doing map completion in level appropriate zones because a lot of that stuff requires you to kill mobs anyway. So while you're killing the mobs you're supposed to be completing some kind of slightly more interesting bonus objective that's going to give XP. If you want to increase the challenge for yourself then there's no reason you can't go into a zone above your level and start doing map completion there. You're not going to get any bonus XP for mobs above your level, but it does feel like more of a game than steamrolling through Caledon in 2 hours.

The only thing I was annoyed by is that WvW with a good commander is the fastest way to level in the game. So somewhere around 60 I stopped exploring because it felt like a slog compared to the fast leveling I was getting in WvW. I was having a decent amount of fun exploring new areas and doing content until then, though.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Do zones that are higher level than you are.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Do sPvP, get Tomes, level up!

sPvP does have balance issues though, well only if you play Warrior.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
When I first played, my PC struggled to handle the WvW stuff and kinda gave up on the game after a while. I've since upgraded my machine but I'm curious to know what the state of the WvW part of the game is. Is it still populated enough to be fun?

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011

Shitbreak posted:

https://m.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3unau3/i_have_no_hope/
Haha guess you really did ruin that guys day (and possibly life?)

He has no hope. :(

:suicide:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Use white gear/no gear? Go into zones above your level?

efb

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

I used to be in a guild with this guy. They ended up getting booted because of their frequent meltdowns. That and being super duper racist.

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
guess he had it comin' then, my work here is done

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Hurp Durp Master posted:

guess he had it comin' then, my work here is done
You monster, actually completing Orr temple events.

Did that person actually say that they were trying to do this because they were making their legendary or were they being evasive and generally acting like a muppet? From that thread it seems like the latter.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
On the other hand, "hey I organized this map full of people so we can get our sparkle pistols, please don't ruin it" is an open invitation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't see how Anet could possibly discipline a player for having the nerve to, well, complete events...

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

On the other hand, "hey I organized this map full of people so we can get our sparkle pistols, please don't ruin it" is an open invitation.

20 mins later the same thing repeated itself. I assume it has for every 20 mins since that time.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Well sure but it's also entirely ArenaNet's fault for making the monumentally stupid decision to require events to either fail or be drawn out past the 'normal' way people have been completing them for years, so yeah.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Unfortunately it's the kind of problem they might not notice even if they had test servers, because there would be less people running around and they'd likely be more 'in the know' types anyway.

But it's the same thing that annoys me about the HoT map meta events, there's some times where you just have to sit around waiting for poo poo to re-cycle over two hours and then hope an effort map comes together. And then spend an hour and a half actually doing the thing if you want full participation, because I guess they were trying to avoid the Silverwastes LFG metagame of hopping into 70% complete maps for full rewards.

If there were any form of small group, semi-casually accessible content that required a bit more consciousness than mining iron, I'm sure they'd find a way to make you have to clear out a bunch of dumb events randomly to get into it anyway.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

does anyone have a list of all the events HOPE requires so i can make sure nobody ruins the Gaming Experience™ of new people trying to complete events to level

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Think about it from the other perspective. The event is there. Maybe you've completed it a bunch before. Then someone comes into map chat demanding you not complete it for a reason that seems pretty crazy based on your past experience.

To give the benefit of the doubt to the party saying "dude, don't complete it yet, I'm almost there," cedes a lot of weird control to random people in map chat dictating how the encounter should go. It very well could lead to anybody voicing an opinion about the event being ceded control even if they don't know what they're doing. People say crazy poo poo in MMO's all the time. People try to take control of situations constantly.

The idea that this person saying this thing should have been listened to is kind of a dangerous precedent to set. Yeah, this time they were right. Most of the time they are clearly loving wrong.

The blame goes to ANet for designing an encounter that would make players antagonistic toward each other without sign-posting like WvW that makes it clear that it makes sense to be antagonistic.

Aug 24, 2011

ErIog posted:

Think about it from the other perspective. The event is there. Maybe you've completed it a bunch before. Then someone comes into map chat demanding you not complete it for a reason that seems pretty crazy based on your past experience.

To give the benefit of the doubt to the party saying "dude, don't complete it yet, I'm almost there," cedes a lot of weird control to random people in map chat dictating how the encounter should go. It very well could lead to anybody voicing an opinion about the event being ceded control even if they don't know what they're doing. People say crazy poo poo in MMO's all the time. People try to take control of situations constantly.

The idea that this person saying this thing should have been listened to is kind of a dangerous precedent to set. Yeah, this time they were right. Most of the time they are clearly loving wrong.

The blame goes to ANet for designing an encounter that would make players antagonistic toward each other without sign-posting like WvW that makes it clear that it makes sense to be antagonistic.

i wonder if we could convince a map to not complete some random unrelated event

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
This is one case where I think roleplaying wouldn't be totally lame.

"I am a mercenary hired by the Lionguard to kill so-and-so. I have 100G riding on this mission. If you can double their offer, I could look the other way."

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Truly, the only game types capable of constantly surprising me with good times and close-calls are sPvP and less so, small group WvW. Both are good for leveling characters.

Another thing that makes the game more interesting (not more challenging) is working together with people you know.

...And that is why any Goon interested in PvP should join Eurozone Danse Party (UNTZ) the premiere Goon PvP listing, contact Germany in game for an invitation.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Happy bday Arus.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NO IT'S NOT MY BIRTHDAY

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

NO IT'S NOT MY BIRTHDAY

Fine then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2Wm-PcfPo

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

NO IT'S NOT MY BIRTHDAY

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARUS!!!! :D :toot:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Every day is his girthday

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Visidan posted:

Happy bday Arus.

:yotj::yotj::yotj::yotj::yotj::yotj::yotj::yotj:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWNTOdO3Fwc

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

I'm coming back to the game after about a year away and was wondering how necros fared in the expansion? I struggled to get one to level 20 at launch and soon ditched it to play other classes but reaper looks cool as hell. Also, have the elite specs done wonders for their respective classes or is it hit and miss?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

This gets repeated every couple of pages but the general consensus is the daredevil and berserker are lackluster but all the others are good.

Reaper is quite fun and can be built a few different ways. You can go tanky, minion heavy, power, condi or hybrid.

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
this could have been a cool screenshot but then :clipping:

at least i look cool from behind :(

and yes reapers are amazing

Hurp Durp Master fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 30, 2015

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Try waiting for the drawn gs idle animation to cycle to the part where he lifts it up, pats, it, then holds it out in front of him

For instance;

Also reaper lets you scream corpses out of the ground, which is something I wasn't expecting when they announced it

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
So yesterday I had my first drop of Ascended Rampager armour from Triwurm. That was nice.

Today I got my second box of Tequatl's Hoard :woop:

Awww yis, Ad Infinitum backpack, here I come, eventually!

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Visidan posted:

Happy bday Arus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6JnYnA9Tzo

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 30, 2015

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Hurp Durp Master posted:

this could have been a cool screenshot but then :clipping:

at least i look cool from behind :(

and yes reapers are amazing

This is probably something new in the expansion, but what are these shoulders called?

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

This is probably something new in the expansion, but what are these shoulders called?

Chronomancer's Epaulets. You get them for fully unlocking the spec. I would for reals be down for a whole set based on those shoulders.

Aug 24, 2011

Dinictus posted:

So yesterday I had my first drop of Ascended Rampager armour from Triwurm. That was nice.

Today I got my second box of Tequatl's Hoard :woop:

Awww yis, Ad Infinitum backpack, here I come, eventually!

its nicer when you get the green dripping spergwurm armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

This gets repeated every couple of pages but the general consensus is the daredevil and berserker are lackluster but all the others are good.

Reaper is quite fun and can be built a few different ways. You can go tanky, minion heavy, power, condi or hybrid.

Berserker is great for PvE, people seem to mainly be complaining that it isn't good for sPvP.

• Locked thread