Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
You know there's a key to the AC on the keyring, right? Pretty sure we've been over this. Also, ChrisTiffany texted AND emailed me about it, when 4 people have keys to the AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You know there's a key to the AC on the keyring, right? Pretty sure we've been over this. Also, ChrisTiffany texted AND emailed me about it, when 4 people have keys to the AC.

I did not and we have not because it never really came up, but I'm not surprised that we could access the thermostat after all v :shobon: v

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

goodness posted:

So who didn't survive thanksgiving?

I didn't just survive; I thrived. Spatchcocked a 6lb chicken over aromatics with fresh thyme and if no one in here has ever tried spatchcocking poultry you gotta do it. Easily the best, juciest bird I ever ate. Whether or not it got down was a question that went unanswered due to hunger and time, but I'm pretty sure you can read between the lines on that one.

And then, mysteriously, Black Friday night shift was as dead as a slow Sunday.

Willie Tomg posted:

That ice storm manifested as lovely near-freezing rain in texas. DURING WHICH WE HAD THE AC CRANKED AT SUMMER SETTINGS. And nobody on staff knew how to turn it down, or--get this!!!--turn on the heat instead!

Runners shivering in the pass. Line cooks rubbing their arms to stay warm (it was slow as gently caress so short of turning on the burners on general principle there weren't many ways to make heat). One of the more flamboyant room service attendants fashioned a frankly astonishingly good sarong wrap out of two white tablecloths. And trying to find stuff to do through it all, I started to feel a little sore throat, a little shaky, a little achy.

Woke up to my nose feeling like a cinder block. 101.1 temp. At least I work at a place that allows sick days! And, crucially, has functioning AC.

Your posts are the soul of this thread. Drink some orange juice.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

So every year the flu hits me in some small super trivial way. Like Ill spike a fever for a day or two. Or I will throw up for half a day.

The flu has upped its game this year, it has been an unending torrent of buttsplosion. Every time an attack hits at this point is met with frustration and marvel. I can not believe the amount of poo poo the human body is capable of retaining. Like at this point, volume wise, I cant believe there is anything left in my lower GI, much less that I have any tract left.

When I called out of work, the boss was asking why, and I finally told him. Apparently the two quickest ways to end a conversation with someone is to mention your diarrhea or ask if they have heard the good news.

send help and gatoraid.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:eek:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Secret Spoon posted:

So every year the flu hits me in some small super trivial way. Like Ill spike a fever for a day or two. Or I will throw up for half a day.

The flu has upped its game this year, it has been an unending torrent of buttsplosion. Every time an attack hits at this point is met with frustration and marvel. I can not believe the amount of poo poo the human body is capable of retaining. Like at this point, volume wise, I cant believe there is anything left in my lower GI, much less that I have any tract left.

When I called out of work, the boss was asking why, and I finally told him. Apparently the two quickest ways to end a conversation with someone is to mention your diarrhea or ask if they have heard the good news.

send help and gatoraid.

I got a flu like that once a few years ago and I found it quite novel. It's like I was puking from my butt so I felt that immediate and tremendous post-puke sense of relief only without the obvious drawbacks puking from your mouth has.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Republicans posted:

I got a flu like that once a few years ago and I found it quite novel. It's like I was puking from my butt so I felt that immediate and tremendous post-puke sense of relief only without the obvious drawbacks puking from your mouth has.

I thank god the flu has only made me vomit once, and that was in 2009. I'll tell you this right now, I ate some soup. It is technically still soup. I hope it's over tomorrow so I can eat at my families thanksgiving.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Republicans posted:

Vomiting after a bout of nausea is like peeing after holding it for hours, but so much better; in my experience it's worse from the other end because you're not only stretching the PSI tolerances of your sphincter, it also feels like someone is very kindly trying to fix it for you with a blowtorch. The last time I was seriously nauseated at work I just rammed my finger down my throat like I was auditioning for an X-rated Chippendales performance because I wanted to get it done and over with.

One of our POS terminals bit it the other day. This shouldn't be a big deal, right? We have four others, things will be fine. No. Every time I went to ring something in it was like queuing at the DMV on a Friday afternoon, and of course I had a constant flow of those tables that want to order just ONE MORE THING WAITER SIR every single time I walked by. Even better, one of the owner's 1/16 blood relations was in, saw the mess, and now we're back to running 50% more servers than we need and not cutting the first outs until the dining room is nearly empty so half of our staff are smiling through teeth so gritted they look like they're trying to mask a case of demonic possession.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I once got food poisoning by eating some raw mushrooms while I was making curry. That moment of relief after vomiting didn't come until like 7 hours later. I would just puke and feel just as nauseated as ever. Also I was actually sitting sideways on the toilet and puking into the bathtub, because the diarrhea was so bad too. I uh, called out that morning before finally falling asleep at 10 am.

Don't eat raw mushrooms kids.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah bad gastro bugs are the worst.

Had one bad on a trip to Costa a few years back. Woooo boy. Mine only lasted a day.

Buddy got it way worse then me and was like on his death bed in the hostel for a whole week.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
You may remember that on Halloween I posted that the printer in the kitchen ran out of paper mid dinner rush and nobody noticed. I was the one who noticed, and I'm a server. The advice from the thread was "fire everybody who works in the kitchen."

Quite frankly it was great advice that I wish I had the power to enact.

Well today I came in for a short FOH manager shift at 6:30, and the kitchen seemed like it was in a great mood, because everything was going so smoothly! As I did a walk through I noticed that the dining room was full and the phone was ringing off the hook for pick up and deliveries.

Yep, that's right the kitchen printer was out of paper again, this time for FORTY TWO loving MINUTES WITHIUT ANYBODY IN THE KITCHEN NOTICING.

I ended up comping and discounting a couple hundred dollars off assorted dine in, pick up, and delivery bills, then I had to fire off a message to the owner about why comps were so high.

Luckily the owner threw a wild reaming at the kitchen and one guy got fired. Finally some progress!

What a god drat poo poo show.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
They're not idiots, and they probably know. I for one would murder everyone I've ever felt any warmth for at all to work in a place where I could stand around doing nothing for forty two minutes on a Saturday, and would definitely just pretend I didn't notice unless I was a guy with responsibilities.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That's why you aren't someone with responsibility

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ummmm I don't know what the gently caress happened.

But someone should know why any food isn't going out after like 20 mins. Esp in a dine in / take out / delivery spot.

That's just failure all around.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Splizwarf, thanks so much for the stretching thing, I've been doing it whenever I get a spare min at work, and already the problem has pretty much entirely gone away. Also I didn't realize how inflexible I've gotten, holy crap, no wonder I'm having issues.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Actually 20 mins is waaaaay to much time.

You should know within 5 minutes that orders aren't being sent through.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mezzanon posted:

You may remember that on Halloween I posted that the printer in the kitchen ran out of paper mid dinner rush and nobody noticed. I was the one who noticed, and I'm a server. The advice from the thread was "fire everybody who works in the kitchen."

Quite frankly it was great advice that I wish I had the power to enact.

Well today I came in for a short FOH manager shift at 6:30, and the kitchen seemed like it was in a great mood, because everything was going so smoothly! As I did a walk through I noticed that the dining room was full and the phone was ringing off the hook for pick up and deliveries.

Yep, that's right the kitchen printer was out of paper again, this time for FORTY TWO loving MINUTES WITHIUT ANYBODY IN THE KITCHEN NOTICING.

I ended up comping and discounting a couple hundred dollars off assorted dine in, pick up, and delivery bills, then I had to fire off a message to the owner about why comps were so high.

Luckily the owner threw a wild reaming at the kitchen and one guy got fired. Finally some progress!

What a god drat poo poo show.

My POS tells me if there's a printer issue, out of paper, unplugged whatever. We have a hot line printer, a cold line printer and three receipt/credit card printers for our three POS screen, and if any of them have an issue there's a pop up every time you wake a screen from sleeping.

I do kinda wonder why none of the servers noticed 0 tables were getting food for 43 minutes.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

My POS tells me if there's a printer issue, out of paper, unplugged whatever. We have a hot line printer, a cold line printer and three receipt/credit card printers for our three POS screen, and if any of them have an issue there's a pop up every time you wake a screen from sleeping.

Our line printer keeps printing when it runs out of paper. I watch that poo poo like a hawk having learned this.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

I do kinda wonder why none of the servers noticed 0 tables were getting food for 43 minutes.

The servers just thought the kitchen was way behind. The kitchen thought they were way ahead. The servers and the kitchen did not speak to each other at all.

As I said I figured it out within ten minutes of my shift starting.

(Yes I work in a place where 40 minute bill times for meals is not out of the question on weekend evenings, yes I think that is completely hosed. I personally get antsy and nosy when meal times near 20 minutes because I used to work in places where the kitchen wasn't full of complete idiots)

Our POS is a POS and doesn't let you know when a printer is out of paper. If a printer is broken a warning comes up, but not when it runs out of paper. You'd think the six feet of BRIGHT RED WARNING PAPER at the end of the roll would be an adequate warning system, but it seems it isn't. I'm just glad I wasn't working for tips on this shift.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

already the problem has pretty much entirely gone away.

I am genuinely excited that it's working so well for you, good deal. :tipshat:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mezzanon posted:

The servers just thought the kitchen was way behind. The kitchen thought they were way ahead. The servers and the kitchen did not speak to each other at all.

So your servers are stupid too. What a magical place.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

After 20 minutes, you should be concerned. Hell, appetizers are generally 15 minutes at most places.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I would say about 70% of the servers are aggressively stupid at the place I work at. I've tried to lead by example and get other servers to ask the kitchen what's happening when salads/desserts are over 5 minutes, when appetizers are over 15 minutes, and when mains are over 20-25 minutes.

But me and the three other good servers can't serve and bartender from open-close 7 days a week. There's a reason I consistently flip tables faster, get better tips, and generally ring out at least 30% more in sales than anybody else. And if I'm not closing I do all of that with a smaller section.

If I could get the kitchen to agree with me that there is no excuse for 50 minute bill times on mains, no matter how busy the dining room is, then I would be in business!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Mezzanon, do y'all have an expo? I'm gathering not.

Semi-demi-relatedly, which POS POS do y'all use?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Trebuchet King posted:

Aloha, my last place had a different one that I loved because it had some great quality of life stuff Aloha is missing, but I can't remember the name of it.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
One of three cooks scheduled last night got sick so of course we got loving killed. Tonight it's just me and the sick guy. Life is pain but Sundays are dead as a rule and the KM will be there. Plus there's something relaxing about absconding control, accepting misery, and listening to NPR while flying solo on the line all night.

Trebuchet King posted:

I don't think you were asking me but Aloha. It's okay but the worst servers do way too much jazz with the free type feature. No, you can't put "SUB GOUDA" on the burger without cheeese, you have to charge them for a cheeseburger. No, you don't need to put "WITH FOOD" on an entree ticket. No, you can't sub fried pickles for a side even if the system doesn't stop you. No, you don't need to put pickles on the ticket as it's the standard garnish for just about everything; you've been here longer than I have and you should know this. Yes, I know you want to please your guests but without order you have chaos and just because someone wants fries instead of chips for their nachos doesn't mean you can just put "SUB FRIES" and not charge them anything. A line cook shouldn't be the one to have to explain to you how food cost works.

Also whomever can make changes to the system is way too loving lazy about it and doesn't respond to BOH feedback. Yes, "Chz" and "Chx" look almost identical so why don't we just call them "Nachos" to avoid confusion? "Pretzel Sandwich" is now called "PretzelHam Melt" and it's awkward as gently caress; can we change it back? Oh, too much work? Show me how to do it so it'll get done. I won't mind a bit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

One of three cooks scheduled last night got sick so of course we got loving killed. Tonight it's just me and the sick guy. Life is pain but Sundays are dead as a rule and the KM will be there. Plus there's something relaxing about absconding control, accepting misery, and listening to NPR while flying solo on the line all night.

I don't think you were asking me but Aloha. It's okay but the worst servers do way too much jazz with the free type feature. No, you can't put "SUB GOUDA" on the burger without cheeese, you have to charge them for a cheeseburger. No, you don't need to put "WITH FOOD" on an entree ticket. No, you can't sub fried pickles for a side even if the system doesn't stop you. No, you don't need to put pickles on the ticket as it's the standard garnish for just about everything; you've been here longer than I have and you should know this. Yes, I know you want to please your guests but without order you have chaos and just because someone wants fries instead of chips for their nachos doesn't mean you can just put "SUB FRIES" and not charge them anything. A line cook shouldn't be the one to have to explain to you how food cost works.

Also whomever can make changes to the system is way too loving lazy about it and doesn't respond to BOH feedback. Yes, "Chz" and "Chx" look almost identical so why don't we just call them "Nachos" to avoid confusion? "Pretzel Sandwich" is now called "PretzelHam Melt" and it's awkward as gently caress; can we change it back? Oh, too much work? Show me how to do it so it'll get done. I won't mind a bit.

I'm FOH and Aloha drives me loving nuts because the tickets print up too vague (this is the managers fault, not Aloha's, I hate Aloha for different reasons). We have a side of mashed potatoes and a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. Plain potatoes prints out as "side mashed," w/ gravy it prints out "bowl mashed." Not surprisingly the kitchen often forgets the gravy if I don't manually put in a w/gravy note.

If they would show me how to fix that and the bazillion other tiny errors on the POS I would be happy to come in on my day off and fix it for minimum wage.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

No expo, we're an award-winning pizza place, so there's not a lot to do playing wise. My first industry job was as a full time expo until I worked my way into the front. Thanks chain restaurants!

I can't remember off the top of my head what the POS's exact name is, I can tell you for certain that it's not Aloha, because I loving miss Aloha (those are words I never thought I would say)

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
On the plus side your servers put notes on the ticket at all for special requests. Ours are apparently too loving to stupid to figure it out for anything other than ordering weird off-menu poo poo for themselves at the end of the night. If an actual customer wants something more complicated than a specific cheese for a burger, they put nothing on the ticket, then walk back to the kitchen and give us the ol "guys, it's not on the ticket, but for my table, the one with the Denver burger, they wanted X and Y." "what table number is it?" "oh, uh, I dunno." *walks on to the line and stares like an idiot at our rail for 20 sec to find it.* No, they don't take their copy of the ticket and keep the expo rail in order, that would make sense. It doesn't matter how many times you try and be reasonable about it by saying things like "I need you to please put requests and subs on the ticket," and if you actually yell at them, they spend the next week pouting and trying to find any reason to bitch about the plates you give them. Luckily, I don't have to put up with it any more since they moved me from part time line cook to full time morning prep since we kept having to let other prep cooks go for not actually getting enough prep done to keep us from 86ing half the menu most nights because they were to busy taking two packs a day of smoke breaks and leaving early when they felt like it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Welcome to being tournaut. Open wide, the poo poo slides downhill.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

One thing with Aloha worth mentioning is memory--last place I worked had so many Aloha crashes and problems, and about half a year after I split I stopped by for breakfast, asked how things were going, reminisced about the six-hour brunch Aloha outage, and the bartender said "Oh, yeah, they put some more memory in the main computer and it hasn't crashed since!"

Of what I've used I think I liked Aloha best; TotalTouch isn't bad, but in fairness I'm doing more with it than I ever did with Aloha. Micros I didn't care for much at all. That said, it was Micros circa 1995 or so, so...

The best free type on an Aloha ticket I ever saw was for a breakfast plate refire that just said "DOESNT KNOW WHAT OVER EASY MEANS," which also got a good laugh out of the exec.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Trebuchet King posted:

That said, it was Micros circa 1995 or so, so...

So, Micros then.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Focus was the system I liked best. CRS had the dumbest error I ever saw. The backup bar printer that we never used ran out of paper, which for some reason rerouted all kitchen tickets to the office printer. Thankfully they caught it pretty quickly but goddamn, how does one printer break another like that?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:lol:

All this cause, someone didn't know or care that the giant red stripe coming out, ticket after ticket was because the printer was about to run out of paper.....

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Kenning posted:

I once got food poisoning by eating some raw mushrooms while I was making curry. That moment of relief after vomiting didn't come until like 7 hours later. I would just puke and feel just as nauseated as ever. Also I was actually sitting sideways on the toilet and puking into the bathtub, because the diarrhea was so bad too. I uh, called out that morning before finally falling asleep at 10 am.

Don't eat raw mushrooms kids.

The official mushrooming term for that is "Gastric Distress" and I like to compare it to using "ethnic cleansing" instead of genocide/The Holocaust

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol at this loving aloha poo poo. I am going to make the best loving restaurant owner when I finally decide to piss all my savings away, given my basic competency and IT skills. how are people not getting these basic loving changes to menu item names in a database made? jesus christ I feel all your pain.

has anyone used hotsauce? I think it's a local Atlanta company, so probably not - just curious... I've seen aloha out in the wild, but a ton of successful places in town are using hotsauce.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's because nobody in the field has any concept of what a database is or how to use or maintain one. I had to go to a micros training session with all the fnb managers at my place and all their questions were poo poo like "how do we update the wine list without having to type in every bottle and its count?"

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
You all make me grateful for my workplace. It's not a bad job by any means, but reading some of the stuff in this thread always puts even the bad nights into perspective.

For my two cents, we have printers for outside expo and both sides of the line. Even IF there were no expo and the line cooks didn't care, if I'm walking by the expo for something else (our main server station/walkway is across from expo) I'm glancing over to see how far back my table(s) is/are, and how much if any of my order is up so that I can time things to be there and run my own food to my tables. If I have a bunch of tables I can't always do that, but as a server you're responsible for at least having some vague perception and knowledge of what's going on that impacts your table.

Award-winning or not, it sounds like y'all have some serious staff and possibly ownership issues. I'd think if what you described happened most anywhere else, there would be a job fair in the parking lot the next day to replace most of the people who were working that shift.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Aloha is pretty loving good and there's a reason tons of places use it.

The problem with Aloha is their customer service. Anytime you have a question / problem and call them they charge you like $175.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

A Man and his dog posted:

The problem with Aloha is their customer service. Anytime you have a question / problem and call them they charge you like $175.

This is standard practice across all industries for enterprise software support. Under $200 is a good deal.

• Locked thread