Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

So, Baltimore. Not so great against ships, but it does utterly eviscerate any air wings that are unwise enough to wander into range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're not as good as ships at their native tier, but they have a massive credit bonus, and the lower-tiered ships you can reliably play while off premium time and still are almost guaranteed a profit.

I dunno, Murmansk and Warspite seem to be very good for their tiers. I dont have an Atago but with RP I imagine it's better than Mogami?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

guidoanselmi posted:

I dunno, Murmansk and Warspite seem to be very good for their tiers. I dont have an Atago but with RP I imagine it's better than Mogami?

Without the various 155 boosting skills, i'd say the Atago is better. With them the Mogami is a murder beast. Credit wise though, the Atago makes some serious bank. 400k-600k easy.

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 27, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

In theory they are not supposed to be as good, but for example the Gremy is basically a Gnevny with better torpedoes. I consider the Murmansk to be an Omaha with better torps. Warspite seems very competitive with the Fuso and New Mexico, but has magically better repair party.

I still think the Mogami is better than the Atago - AFT gives you a sizeable range advantage, and the triple 6" guns put out more DPM. The high volume of shells is great against DDs too. AA slightly better at close range.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Tirranek posted:

Yeah, I would if I could :negative:

Yeah, the Warspite was on sale a couple weeks ago for EU. It'll come back around for you guys.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Ugh. I've been one star away from getting 13 about half a dozen times now, then my teams decide to help me go on a losing streak to the point that I've earned about 14 stars and I'm sitting at Rank 14 with no stars currently. I just want to get to Rank 13 - is that too much to ask?! I've managed to build up enough free xp trying to get to Rank 13 that I've been able to buy a Ranger with it and fully upgrade it (and I don't even play carriers!)

My teams decide to head in all different directions, and in one match I have no idea why 3 cruisers headed southeast on the map when the enemy was to the west. It was 5 to 3, and the enemy Fuso was apparently afk or disconnected. I saved him for last, but time ran out before I could kill him in my New Mexico.

Frankly, I suck at DDs - I can't seem to hit anything with my torps, even when the target is moving slow. I miss the tier 2 and 3 games where I could just dump torps into dumbasses and watch them explode while I sailed merrily on my way for another victim. Why can't I be the guy who nails a BB in a Minekaze or even my Farragut? Anyone got some tips they can give me to help me improve?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Ugh. I've been one star away from getting 13 about half a dozen times now, then my teams decide to help me go on a losing streak to the point that I've earned about 14 stars and I'm sitting at Rank 14 with no stars currently. I just want to get to Rank 13 - is that too much to ask?! I've managed to build up enough free xp trying to get to Rank 13 that I've been able to buy a Ranger with it and fully upgrade it (and I don't even play carriers!)

My teams decide to head in all different directions, and in one match I have no idea why 3 cruisers headed southeast on the map when the enemy was to the west. It was 5 to 3, and the enemy Fuso was apparently afk or disconnected. I saved him for last, but time ran out before I could kill him in my New Mexico.

Frankly, I suck at DDs - I can't seem to hit anything with my torps, even when the target is moving slow. I miss the tier 2 and 3 games where I could just dump torps into dumbasses and watch them explode while I sailed merrily on my way for another victim. Why can't I be the guy who nails a BB in a Minekaze or even my Farragut? Anyone got some tips they can give me to help me improve?

Torpedoes are all about prediction. The grey line only predicts where the target will be, assuming they go in the same direction they are facing at the same speed up until the time the torpedoes arrive. Since this doesn't happen except to braindead morons (people will at least take an evasive action as the torps arrive), you have to adjust and aim accordingly. For instance, a target that just finished a turn and is now going in a straight line is not at full speed yet, and will pick up speed as they continue. Firing torps at the grey line would have them arrive behind the target. Targets are likely not going to boat straight into an island, so watch your targets course and see if there is a clump of allies they'd turn away from, or an obstacle they need to avoid. Also make sure there are no allies in your line of fire.

Targets that are shooting at people are often the best, as they're distracted and may not be paying attention. However, they are also likely to begin maneuvers if they are trying to dodge shells, so watch their pattern. As you get better at this, you can even predict what sort of rudder shift they'll be at when the torps are detected, which can lead to some hilariously effective torpedo strikes on CAs, who generally are better at avoiding torpedoes on just the warning time alone.

Don't torpedo targets that are sharply angled towards or away from you unless you have to. Visualize from what angle your torpedoes will be arriving at the target from. The closer to 90 degrees you can get, the better, as this gives you the maximum amount of their ship as a target for the torpedoes to impact. Typically, you need to be somewhat in front of your target and traveling parallel to them in order to achieve this, so now you have to think about how you will be maneuvering into this position.

If you are stealth torping, don't give away your location. Smart players (and even average ones) will quickly figure out that being angled towards or away from a DD presents the smallest target for a torpedo salvo. If you get spotted, they may suspect they're being torpedoed and make heavy maneuvers to avoid the torps, or at least make your good angle a bad one. If you are detected by a CV plane, it can VERY easily spot your torpedoes, so don't fire them unless you're already point blank.

And for the higher tiered IJN DDs, GET CLOSER. Yes, you can torp from 10, 15, hell even 20 km. Should you? HELL NO. The further your torpedoes travel, the longer your target has to completely change course and throw off the run, and your torpedoes spread further and further apart. A narrow spread at 15km is like a wide spread at 5. Get closer, and your torps will be in a great cluster to wreak havoc on your target, and your predictions will be more accurate.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 28, 2015

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Also, dont dump your torps all at once if you're gunning for a cruiser. Sail for a bit before launching your second spread, it'll create a bit of a cross-hatch pattern and make the torps harder to dodge by just turning into/away from them.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I'm loving the Kongo. Games with it are fun to the point that I wouldn't mind staying in tier V games at this point. It's made the grind up to the :syoon:YAMATO:syoon: seem way less daunting.

As for playing it right, I thiiiink I've about got it. Instead of slog matches it seems to be all about 'footsies', skirting the outer ranges of a fight making light jabs, then smacking them with all 8 guns if they present a clear shot. The fact it's pretty nimble helps a lot, and in higher tier games most people tend to ignore me. Less of a prize than a Fuso and less of a hell magnet than a Myogi.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tirranek posted:

I'm loving the Kongo. Games with it are fun to the point that I wouldn't mind staying in tier V games at this point. It's made the grind up to the :syoon:YAMATO:syoon: seem way less daunting.

As for playing it right, I thiiiink I've about got it. Instead of slog matches it seems to be all about 'footsies', skirting the outer ranges of a fight making light jabs, then smacking them with all 8 guns if they present a clear shot. The fact it's pretty nimble helps a lot, and in higher tier games most people tend to ignore me. Less of a prize than a Fuso and less of a hell magnet than a Myogi.
IJN BBs all have moderate armor... layered all across the ship. This distinguishes them from US BBs, in that they can bounce shells from many angles fairly well, but when hit square on, they're much more susceptible to getting citadeled, and the 8 inchers of CAs at the mid-high tiers will pen you more readily, a tactic becoming more common. You need to be much more careful about when you expose broadsides. IJN BBs get more and more accurate as you rise in the tiers, and retain speed over their US counterparts until T8. The IJN BB line is definitely superior to the US one, for general battles, but you'll lose a brawl with a US BB at close range. Their citadels are protected by a helluva lot more armor than yours.

Once you start understanding the lead and making your shots, BBs click, and it all becomes a great class to play from there. Look forward to the rest of the IJN BB line, only the Izumo at T9 is lackluster. The rest are phenomenal.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 28, 2015

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Yeah I try not to brawl, if I can avoid it. Pretty sure I'm playing way too consertively, though. It might be a hang up from playing the Myogi because that thing felt so fragile. Basically, this is me playing BBs

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Amagi captain, 13 skill points, 11 spent (Sit Awareness, BFT, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, AFT)
Is Fire Prevention worth spending 2 points on? I once heard it was worthless somehow.
What about Vigilance? If I wait until I have 3.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I drove my Tirpitz into spitting range of not one, but two Colorado-class battleships. I imagine the captains chortling as my health begins to dwindle, then sheer horror eclipses their faces as they watch torpedoes come for both of them at less than 3km. I jauntily go on my merry way with the sinking, burning wrecks of the two battleships slowly slipping into the depths in my wake. Then an Atlanta unleashes a Gatling gun of shells at 9km and finishes me off. Of course we lost, because the 2 battleships and 2 cruisers I sank were not enough to overcome the sheer inertia of stupidity that was my team.

In other news I did finally manage to hit Rank 13, but I'm almost terrified of doing another ranked match because I know it will take forever going from 13 to 14 to 15, then down to 14, then back to 15, then down to 14, then almost back to 13 before losing multiple times in a row and going back to 15 again.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

PirateBob posted:

Amagi captain, 13 skill points, 11 spent (Sit Awareness, BFT, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, AFT)
Is Fire Prevention worth spending 2 points on? I once heard it was worthless somehow.
What about Vigilance? If I wait until I have 3.

Fire Prevention SUUUUUUUUCKs due to how stacking works. Ironically, Demolition Expert is pretty good if you don't have a better tier 4 skill option (you will almost always have a better tier 4 skill option).

No clue on Vigilance, I feel like it's less useful than both Superintendent and High Alert so I'm not sure I'll ever be in a situation where I take it.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Never give up I guess. Just had a game where the matchmaker blessed the other team with four Tier X ships (Yamato & Musashi division, a Des Moines, and a Shimakaze) and we got a Shimakaze as our lone tier X. They got first blood and two of the three caps right away but our Shimakaze had a monster game and we actually won. 70% of the way to the Zao now. I just wish we could still buy that Halloween camo for 3x days.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lakedaimon posted:

Never give up I guess. Just had a game where the matchmaker blessed the other team with four Tier X ships (Yamato & Musashi division, a Des Moines, and a Shimakaze) and we got a Shimakaze as our lone tier X. They got first blood and two of the three caps right away but our Shimakaze had a monster game and we actually won. 70% of the way to the Zao now. I just wish we could still buy that Halloween camo for 3x days.

Ranked rewards something similar I think.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

Ranked rewards something similar I think.

At rank 1 you get 100 uses of the 100% xp camo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

Oh, it's rank *1*? Ick.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Spending 30 canadough was a lot easier than playing probably hundreds of frustrating games with long-rear end wait times. But I did not know that.

I did try ranked for the first time, I think im up to like 16 or so. Frankly I doubt ill play a whole lot of ranked unless its like on the weekends and im out of doubles.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Man, I love it when cruisers make dumb mistakes. Some German cruiser ended up going around an island and coming on side on to my Kongo as he passed around it. He KNEW I was there and that I was ~8km away. I do wish I knew what exactly his game plan was, because I can't figure out what he expected to happen.

Oh well. 2 citadels and like 4 other hits and he went away. Kongo is the best battleship.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Rorac posted:

Kongo is the best battleship.

Kongo is awesome.
Speaking of awesome battleships.. I just finished grinding Colorado. This was a chore, but the payoff was SO worth it.

First game in my shiny new NC.

Pseudophile fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 29, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

I may have been misinformed, but I was told that you get a +100% xp flag with unlimited uses at rank 5. :confused:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

PirateBob posted:

I may have been misinformed, but I was told that you get a +100% xp flag with unlimited uses at rank 5. :confused:

False, it's pretty lame all they give you is a flag.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Also the only ranked flags that are permanent are the participation one and the rank 1 flag. Everything else goes away.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So, is the Russian battleship worth spending money on?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

a few stories from ranked as I slipped from 5 to 7:
-a guy named alexcsyn who 'sat out' ocean in his amagi. killed a dd trying to TK him. he of course stayed in chat through the match. i dont know if he was a griefer or what.
-a guy in his tirpitz who ran away from the battle in fault line till he was the last left. he keep running away from a nagato because us morons didn't know 'ijn ships are superior'
-TK for torping from behind and the other guy who killed that guy.

this is straight up sisyphean.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Haven't been taking much advantage of the x3 weekend because of fat rednecks binge-downloading something I don't want to know about or something. Internet connection has had some bad packet loss.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is the level of ranked play really that different from random battles?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is the level of ranked play really that different from random battles?

Well, there are less people per team so if you're good you can have more impact on the game.

Also, it takes like 20 minutes to find a game at higher tiers.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

ranbo das posted:

Well, there are less people per team so if you're good you can have more impact on the game.

Also, it takes like 20 minutes to find a game at higher tiers.

I honestly fine nothing I do in ranked matters. The small teams make it so every mistake by your other lucky pubby scrub team is magnified and loses the game for you. Games that I do poorly in, I win. Since most people aren't used to doing what it takes to win a game in normal matches, when they play ranked that makes for some possibly "good" stat players... who have never capped a point in their life.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

jownzy posted:

I honestly fine nothing I do in ranked matters. The small teams make it so every mistake by your other lucky pubby scrub team is magnified and loses the game for you. Games that I do poorly in, I win. Since most people aren't used to doing what it takes to win a game in normal matches, when they play ranked that makes for some possibly "good" stat players... who have never capped a point in their life.

My last ranked memory is a guy on my team named like "I AM STEVICUS" or something dumb like that in a Warspite. He tells us to avoid getting teamed up on, then charges right toward the enemy blob to try and finish off a ship. So he dies quickly and then screams for a solid 5 minutes about how bad we are even though we dominated the rest of the game and won comfortably.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I try to enjoy this game on the level of a casual phone-tapping game, but slightly more involving. Like an Angry Boats game. It's not rewarding enough to get worked up about.

Is there an ideal casual tier, do you think? Tier 1, Tier 4, doesn't matter?

Edit: I wish I could Teamspeak because it would make this game 10x better.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PerniciousKnid posted:

I try to enjoy this game on the level of a casual phone-tapping game, but slightly more involving. Like an Angry Boats game. It's not rewarding enough to get worked up about.

Is there an ideal casual tier, do you think? Tier 1, Tier 4, doesn't matter?

Edit: I wish I could Teamspeak because it would make this game 10x better.

Tier 3 off premium, Tiers 5 and 6 while on. This also assumes you have no high level premiums...though you should have a Murmansk simply because they're awesome and I think you might still be able to get a cheap Humble Bundle code off Kinguin for one versus buying it for gold or with real money for far more.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Tier 3 off premium, Tiers 5 and 6 while on. This also assumes you have no high level premiums...though you should have a Murmansk simply because they're awesome and I think you might still be able to get a cheap Humble Bundle code off Kinguin for one versus buying it for gold or with real money for far more.

Yeah tiers 3-6 are the sweet spot. Just find a ship you really like. I think the St. Louis, Kongo, Murmansk, Cleveland, Minekaze are very capable ships in that bracket and fun to play. I really enjoyed the Gnevny. It has torpedoes that are almost useless because of the short range, but you will steal the lunch money from other DDs and feel like the king of the playground with your high velocity guns.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Tell me more about this Humble Bundle code business. I may need to hop in onto that.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Back in mid June, Wargaming teamed up with HumbleBundle.com and offered a code good for a Murmansk, 5 port slots, 1000 gold and a week of premium to go along with all the other crap in the E3 Digital Ticket Humble Bundle bundle. A rather large amount of people went and bought it because hey, WoWs Closed Beta access, a cool ship and some other stuff starting at $1.00, depending on how greedy/charitable you were feeling. Then The Mother Of All Fuckups™ happened - Wargaming initially said this stuff was permanent, but in actuality the Murmansk was supposed to be a limited lifetime/test drive thing (something like a week or so) then it would be auto-deleted... and let this messaging fuckup last an entire week. Cue MASSIVE INTERNET RAEG :argh: :supaburn:, threadnoughts on the forums, and a week of Internet lawyers threatening charge-backs & false advertising complaints and so on. Wargaming actually owned up and took the blame, did The Right Thing™ and let everyone keep the Murmansk.

Reading mats:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/34287-important-humble-bundle-e3-digital-ticket-information/

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/35557-humble-bundle-update/

So naturally while they were available, some people bought how many ever of these E3 Digital Ticket Humble Bundle bundles they could gin up email addresses for and started reselling them. Kinguin (never been there) is apparently some game code reselling site, and you might be able to get one of these codes there. Be aware the codes expire on Dec 31st 2015.

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 30, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
T4 non premiums that own:
The God of All Boats (Kuma), Wyoming

T5 non premiums that own:
Omaha, Minekaze, Kongo, and sort of the New York. I certainly do well with the New York but YMMV.

T6 non premiums that own:
Cleveland, New Mexico, Fuso

At the mid tiers all of the boats are fairly good, with the exception of the Furutaka (it still a bit underwhelming) and the Myogi (very inaccurate guns and buggy armor). If you want to have fun don't play CVs!

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Definitely something satisfying about landing a Fuso salvo right ontop of an enemy citadel. Also this may be common knowledge but it really seems to be worth holding back on the Fuso until you can afford the B Hull at least, and ideally the engine upgrade. The stock hull feels like going back to the Kawachi.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hazdoc posted:

If you want to have fun don't play CVs!

I've actually been enjoying the Langley, despite my inability to aim torpedoes or be effective with my fighters. It's like a languid RTS. But I like my T3 Russian DD a lot, it might be my favorite boat right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I mostly hate the Hosho. With 4 plane squadrons I'm launching 4 torpedo spreads, so a good hit on a battleship is only 2 torpedoes. I see Langleys, with their 6 plane squadrons, land 4 hits. It's also a pain when my fighters go up against a Langley. I'm starting off with a 4 to 6 disadvantage and that's if I'm not jumped by two fighter squadrons.